Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Planning to head here on Saturday around 6 for some grub and moreso pints. Their menu with prices seems to have disappeared? Also has the teething problems of cold food, etc... be done with?

Food was grand: the ribs were tasty, chips were lukewarm and chicken was only ok.

Can't beat the Birra Moretti 660ml for €4.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

So, I've seen this place being built as I live at walking distance from it, but I've never had a chance to go and try it. Actually I've never been in a Wetherspoon joint. The summer it opened it was packed full every single day of the week, inside and outside in that little area near the round-about.

How's it in this period? Can you easily find a seat in the evening?

I'm thinking of going there soon, either after work on weekdays or for breakfast on a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So, I've seen this place being built as I live at walking distance from it, but I've never had a chance to go and try it. Actually I've never been in a Wetherspoon joint. The summer it opened it was packed full every single day of the week, inside and outside in that little area near the round-about.

How's it in this period? Can you easily find a seat in the evening?

I'm thinking of going there soon, either after work on weekdays or for breakfast on a weekend.

You will get a seat no problem. Although I haven't been on a Fri/Sat night. It can be a bit cold just at the front section.

Its a lovely bar on a sunny summer day, of which we had a couple when it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Was in there at lunch time today, noticeably warmer than it was the last time I was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am meeting friends there on Sunday and will report back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

Was there yesterday and earlier today.
    On both days there was a sizeable group of Asians.
    Today they (about 60 incl kids) easily made up the majority of people in the place.
    Wonder whats going on.

Seems to be a new meeting place for Phillipino and/or Indonesian community.

I felt like Ted walking into craggy islands China town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

AvyStreet wrote: »
    Wonder whats going on.

Probably enjoying the establishment like everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I've visited a few different times and have enjoyed it. Lots of families seem to frequent it - it's great to be able to get the whole family out to eat at a reasonable price.

Food has been fine....basically you get what you pay for. Drinks are excellent. A double Grey Goose or Belvedere & Diet Pepsi for under 8 euro is unreal value!!

I was in the Blackrock wetherspoons during the week. And compared to the "clientele" there, we have nothing to worry about in Blanch. There were some "characters" who seemed to be there for the cheap drink only. It felt a bit rough and intimidatory tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

amdublin wrote: »
    I was in the Blackrock wetherspoons during the week. And compared to the "clientele" there, we have nothing to worry about in Blanch. There were some "characters" who seemed to be there for the cheap drink only. It felt a bit rough and intimidatory tbh.
    Very tame, when compared to its liverpool counterpart ;) Now there's a proper madhouse

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/The+Richard+John+Blackler/@53.406036,-2.9800879,3a,75y,64.64h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svCeSLAPG5AH32oKPmap9pQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6145561cda0aa062!6m1!1e1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

just dropped into the Wood for a quick beer & there's a notice up for Wednesday Pub Quiz ! - wouldn't have thought that was their style at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Anything up for Mothers Day

dubstarr wrote: »
    Anything up for Mothers Day

Nope not that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Anything up for welfare day.... now theres a crowd puller

Anything up for welfare day.... now theres a crowd puller

Yep, free board games behind the bar

Andip wrote: »
    just dropped into the Wood for a quick beer & there's a notice up for Wednesday Pub Quiz ! - wouldn't have thought that was their style at all

Oh that sounds good. I love a quiz

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh that sounds good. I love a quiz

Here ya go

oblivious wrote: »
    Probably enjoying the establishment like everyone else

Oh please.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oh please.

Are you suggesting that they are there for nefarious reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zaph wrote: »
    WTF? how the hell do you get that impression, I certainly didn't and can't see how anybody could take that post as that. It was a simple & innocent comment/query. People itching to see racism.

• Advertisement

I was thinking something more along the lines of a community event.

Or that maybe its become a designated meeting area for a particular .... dare I say it ... ethnic demographic.

Now we all know its wrong to publicly wonder about any subject that involves a local minority, and even more so to question anything involving race.

However, maybe it doesn't take a statistician to see a very slight anomaly in 12 tables of Asians in one particular local pub between two consecutive days.

Im sure Oblivious Brent wouldn't have even noticed. He could walk into a local pub filled with 10 tables of short statured elderly trans albino Peruvian one legged wheelchair users ... and just see human beings. Because we're all the same.

Thats why he has the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Did anyone here go to the pub quiz? How was it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Valentina wrote: »
    Did anyone here go to the pub quiz? How was it?

Interested to hear about this too as it could be a handy night out with friends who live in the area :)

However, maybe it doesn't take a statistician to see a very slight anomaly in 12 tables of Asians in one particular local pub between two consecutive days.

It's a public house, open to all the public . Anomaly???? mmmh I wounder what make up of people you think a pub should have

Why not ask then directly next time you're in. But I suspect it alot easier to poster here as a veiled question.
    Im sure Oblivious Brent wouldn't have even noticed. He could walk into a local pub filled with 10 tables of short statured elderly trans albino Peruvian one legged wheelchair users ... and just see human beings. Because we're all the same.

And the last resort is the personal attack....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was thinking something more along the lines of a community event.

Or that maybe its become a designated meeting area for a particular .... dare I say it ... ethnic demographic.

And what exactly would the problem be if a particular "ethnic demographic" decided to frequent there more often?
    Now we all know its wrong to publicly wonder about any subject that involves a local minority, and even more so to question anything involving race.

Again, so what? I concede that it's not something you'd see everyday in a Dublin pub, but I'm struggling to see what the problem is. And this isn't being overly sensitive about race, it's genuine curiosity.

Less of the personal attacks please.
    Oh please.

And this is why I asked the question. When someone gives a perfectly reasonable reply to a question, "Oh please" in response can only be taken one way - that you don't believe them. So if you don't believe that the group was there just enjoying the pub, what do you believe they were actually doing?

And what exactly would the problem be if a particular "ethnic demographic" decided to frequent there more often?
    The only problem is a certain type of boardsie who just lives to find any possible trace of an inference of a chance to take offense.
    Again, so what? I concede that it's not something you'd see everyday in a Dublin pub, but I'm struggling to see what the problem is. And this isn't being overly sensitive about race, it's genuine curiosity.
    Show where I said, or even in the tiniest way suggested its a problem.
    Less of the personal attacks please.
    Ok. However, that now limits my options to being attacked and not allowed to defend myself.
    And this is why I asked the question. When someone gives a perfectly reasonable reply to a question, "Oh please" in response can only be taken one way - that you don't believe them. So if you don't believe that the group was there just enjoying the pub, what do you believe they were actually doing?
    Response was to an un-named poster, and the inference of their post.
    It's a public house, open to all the public . Anomaly???? mmmh I wounder what make up of people you think a pub should have
    See Zaphs concession. 10 tables of 1 minority over 2 days is not something you normally see. Say that it is. So that I can disprove you. Bet you dont.
    Why not ask then directly next time you're in. But I suspect it alot easier to poster here as a veiled question.
    If I knew a member of the group personally I would, and I suspect he or she might happily say why without resorting to any inference of racism.
    Id love to be more direct. Im limited only by moderation. The larger the audience and the more direct the better for me.
    We both know it was an anamolous event, followed by a perfectly innocent question and we both know what you did next and why.
    And the last resort is the personal attack....
    It was direct and not passive, veiled, infered, and another word I can't use.

The only problem is a certain type of boardsie who just lives to find any possible trace of an inference of a chance to take offense.

Not sure who was offered, Not me
    Show where I said, or even in the tiniest way suggested its a problem.
    Ok. However, that now limits my options to being attacked and not allowed to defend myself.

You opinions where been questioned not attacked. Personal attacks are never an acceptable response on boards
    We both know it was an anamolous event, followed by a perfectly innocent question and we both know what you did next and why.

oh, so you're a mind reader now ?

Not sure who was offered, Not me

You opinions where been questioned not attacked. Personal attacks are never an acceptable response on boards

oh, so you're a mind reader now ?

My question was attacked. By you.

Not directly, but in a passive, cowardly way.

And now I'm calling you out on it.

Stop hiding in language and inference.

Its time for some accountability.

So, you tell me now ... Am I a racist for wondering why there were approx 10 tables of Asians between two consecutive days in 1 suburban Dublin pub.

Re; mind reader. No. I am not a mind reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My question was attacked. By you.

Not directly, but in a passive, cowardly way.

And now I'm calling you out on it.

Stop hiding in language and inference.

Its time for some accountability.

So, you tell me now ... Am I a racist for wondering why there were approx 10 tables of Asians between two consecutive days in 1 suburban Dublin pub.

Re; mind reader. No. I am not a mind reader.

You might not be racist but it's certainly none of your business why they were there... what were you doing there on two consecutive days?

Advertisement