Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

January wrote: »
    You might not be racist but it's certainly none of your business why they were there... what were you doing there on two consecutive days?

I was having some food on the first day and a coffee on the second.

I reserve the right to publicly question unusual large scale events in my local environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, enough on that subject already. Move on

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Gaspode wrote: »
    OK, enough on that subject already. Move on

As a help Gaspode - any news on the new menu which was launched yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

New menu you say!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I was there yesterday evening, didn't notice anything diff with menu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Patww79 wrote: »

All the Irish craft is bottle

Cask ales can vary, but are all English

Can,t remember the draught, sorry :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

One of these days I'm gonna get to this pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have they no prices showing on their menu on the websites? That's a bit annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

January wrote: »
    Have they no prices showing on their menu on the websites? That's a bit annoying...

I think they are raising them at the other branchs,so it maybe something to do with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

All the cask ales went up from E2.50 to E2.75 a 10% increase.

I noticed that all the prices have gone up, can't say buy how much though.

Murt10 wrote: »
    All the cask ales went up from E2.50 to E2.75 a 10% increase.

I noticed that all the prices have gone up, can't say buy how much though.

Another increase?

They had bottles of Tsingtao and Kingfisher that have gone from 3.95 to 4.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I dragged himself down last night to see what he made of it and from memory there was Ghostship, Abbots Ale & Hobgoblin on draft, but they were out of Abbots and Hobgoblin.

I really think the food there is depressing, but the price of the drink and the nice open decor make it quite appealing. I was wishing I'd brought Carcassonne down with us as its the kind of place I would love to play board games and sip beers or gin :D Would be a great spot to start a regular game meetup!

Oh and re the Quiz, a flyer on the tables:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lh_oC5XxQQy-40MF7HkfwSjyVbuHG4IORA/view

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

€1 per head entry for the quiz is pretty decent, don't think I've ever seen a quiz with an entry fee that low.

I laughed at the bit about the real ale festival where you can get 3 1/3 pints for the price of a pint. Deal of the century there!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Zaph wrote: »
    3 1/3 pints for the price of a pint. Deal of the century there!

But its a grand way to try out a new beer without buying and wasting a pint, that was one of my favourite ways to try beers in Belgium when you get the wee glasses on a paddle board thing and served with cheese and mustard. Nyom!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

KGLady wrote: »
    But its a grand way to try out a new beer without buying and wasting a pint, that was one of my favourite ways to try beers in Belgium when you get the wee glasses on a paddle board thing and served with cheese and mustard. Nyom!

Yep, I've had it in several places in this country too. My point is that you're getting a pint for the price of a pint but they're trying to make it sound like the deal of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

€1 per head entry for the quiz is pretty decent, don't think I've ever seen a quiz with an entry fee that low

It's been a while since admittedly but I only ever joined in table quizzes which were free entry, and I was in plenty of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How do table quizzes work these days with everyone having smart phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Yep, I've had it in several places in this country too. My point is that you're getting a pint for the price of a pint but they're trying to make it sound like the deal of the year.

Try getting 2 1/2 pints in a pub for the same price as a pint, usually a €1 dearer.

• Advertisement

How do table quizzes work these days with everyone having smart phones?

I think its generally down to trust nowadays. I was at one were each table was given a zipped see thru bag and everyone's phone went into it.

I noticed at weekend that some of the drinks have gone up again. Most on a par with local pubs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

py2006 wrote: »
    I noticed at weekend that some of the drinks have gone up again. Most on a par with local pubs now.

A big nail in the coffin!

Most of the time we have only gone for food(even at that not sure why as it wasn't great), but kept planning to go and have a few drinks, wont be bothering now its the same prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ale's are still way cheaper - increased from €2.50 to €2.75 but the Ale festival runs for the rest of the month at €2.50

Up there now. Some people giving our about price hike.

Up there now. Some people giving our about price hike.

Good :cool:
    But then its front of house staff hearing it not owners/management

jeffk wrote: »
    Good :cool:
    But then its front of house staff hearing it not owners/management

Schtick it on their Facebook page

Schtick it on their Facebook page

I hardly ever drank(mainly food) so couldn't say x drink is gone up without lying(and im a bad liar)

As I said its a pity as I was planning to go for a drink until they became just another pub

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Probably contribution from the Irish operations no doubt.........

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0311/774104-jd-wetherspoon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Andip wrote: »
    Ale's are still way cheaper - increased from €2.50 to €2.75 but the Ale festival runs for the rest of the month at €2.50

It's all very well claiming you are having an ale festival, but when they don't have most of the beers that were to feature in the festival, you wonder why they bothered.

Also when you go into most pubs they throw a tower or something over the taps that are out of service. Not in the great Wood.

Advertisement