Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Murt10 wrote: »
    It's all very well claiming you are having an ale festival, but when they don't have most of the beers that were to feature in the festival, you wonder why they bothered.

Most only get a cross section of whats on offer, do you remember what's on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

oblivious wrote: »
    Most only get a cross section of whats on offer, do you remember what's on?

I'll drop in later and get a copy of the festival list - I was talking to the bar manager last week & sounds like they will have quite a few of the list available. In fairness, it wasn't due to start until last Friday 11th ?

Update: in the interests of my fellow Boardsies, I've bravely undertaken to do the research for you....

They currently have on:

Thunder Road Pacific - Australian
    Timothy Taylor Boltmaker - England
    Greene King Benjamin - England
    Brouwerij T - Amsterdam
    666 - (6.6%)
    and one other that I cant read from here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Whats the kids menu like.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

dubstarr wrote: »
    Whats the kids menu like.

https://www.zomato.com/dublin/the-great-wood-jd-wetherspoon-blanchardstown/menu

Don't know about the specials.

Ye was more wondering has anyone bought it for the kids and what it was like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Think this has been covered well before.

My kids now eat of the adult menu and they like it, same as Captain Americas.

I'd give it a 6/7 out of 10, the cheap pints make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

FYI, the kids portions are the same as adult portions, just in a smaller bowl.

Ah ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Kids meals are good, my three loved theirs last week & as said, they're really adult portions just on smaller plates. Try to avoid peak periods though as service can be a little slow & mine had finished their colouring sheets & were bored :rolleyes:

I'm a huge fan of the Wood for value - emailed a friend after last meal with prices after myself, my wife & three kids ate:

Wetherspoons sharer starter (big) €13.45
    Full Rack BBQ pork ribs € 14.95 with a pint included
    Philly cheesesteak €11.25 with a pint included
    Bottle of Faustino V €15.95
    Kids:
    Fish & Chips €4.95 with a Pepsi
    Burger & Chips €4.95 with a pepsi
    Sausage & Mash €4.95 with a pepsi

€70.45 total

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone know the prices on lager these days?

Erdinger
    Bud
    Coors?

I heard it took a big jump pretty much across the board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

dodzy wrote: »

Erdinger
    Bud
    Coors?

All selling @ E4.50 each.

The real steal up there at the moment is Jaipur IPA @ E3.10 a pint. Really good beer. 5.9%abv

Anyone going to the Superhero party today with their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

dodzy wrote: »

Erdinger
    Bud
    Coors?

The real steal up there at the moment is Jaipur IPA @ E3.10 a pint. Really good beer. 5.9%abv

It's a very tasty beer alright. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Didn't take them long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Manager special tonight Vindaloo with chips or rice 3.95!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We actually went down on Thursday for our breakfast, with two of the kids. I ordered the large breakfast, husband the traditional, small breakfast for the little lad and the little lady wanted pancakes. Food was nice but it was not hot. Plenty of it too. Sausages were lovely, bacon tasted BBQ'd, mushroom was yum as were the hash browns... egg yolk could have been runnier, beans were freezing.

The little lady loved her pancakes though, especially the little fruit compote that came with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The food is a complete disgrace but you get what you pay for. Always thought the same when I liked in UK. There was a reason a burger and pint was £3.95 or so.

It pisses me off that everything up in the center is a chain. No wonder everyone is getting fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hadn't been there in a few months but was in last night. Vodkas gone up 75c since the last time I was in. Still cheaper than other pubs but creeping up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RasTa wrote: »

It pisses me off that everything up in the center is a chain. No wonder everyone is getting fat.

People don't get fat because they're eating in chains.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    People don't get fat because they're eating in chains.

Of course they do, it's cheaper to eat dinner there then cook at home. I didn't see the same level of obesity when I was living in Ranelagh

Dealz also helping.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

It's definitely not cheaper to eat there than cook at home. We'd spend nearly 40/50 euro if we were to eat there as a family. I can do my weekly shop for 70 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Of course they do, it's cheaper to eat dinner there then cook at home. I didn't see the same level of obesity when I was living in Ranelagh

Dealz also helping.

Thinly veiled snobbery me thinks.

All depends what you order and how often you frequent.

I'm not just talking Spoons, KFC across the way and in the center. 3 Starbucks. 2 Mcdonalds, Burger king, Nandos, Milanos, Eddie Rockets, Wagamama, TGI's, Captain Americas, Subway and O'Briens.

It's a disgrace that these are all in one place. Even Liffey Valley has some decent food options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dealz also helping.

Eating in chains as you say is not a cause of obesity. Eating the wrong food every day and not exercising is.

You can eat quite healthily in most of those places you listed above.

Do you think that once somewhere is not part of a chain you'll never gain weight eating from it?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Eating in chains as you say is not a cause of obesity. Eating the wrong food every day and not exercising is.

You can eat quite healthily in most of those places you listed above.

Do you think that once somewhere is not part of a chain you'll never gain weight eating from it?

What? Where did I say that, I'd love to hear the healthy meals from the places I listed. Spoons as an example doesn't even have frying pans in their kitchen and can have poached eggs run out but not fried. Love to know what magic eggs they are using.

What? Where did I say that, I'd love to hear the healthy meals from the places I listed. Spoons as an example doesn't even have frying pans in their kitchen and can have poached eggs run out but not fried. Love to know what magic eggs they are using.

You don't need a frying pan to cook a fried egg...

January wrote: »
    You don't need a frying pan to cook a fried egg...

No ****, please explain why they can't poach an egg when they have eggs in stock then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

RasTa wrote:
    No ****, please explain why they can't poach an egg when they have eggs in stock then?

They're bought in pre cooked

rawn wrote: »
    They're bought in pre cooked

Sweet jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sweet jesus...
    is this news to you? I thought this was well known, however I did not know about no wetherspoons kitchens having frying pans? or is it just the great wood that have no frying pans?

Seems odd you would be privy to info like that but not know about the precooked eggs.

Why did you even mention the frying pans anyway? seemed you were confused how they would fry eggs and then when told you do not need a pan you say "no shit" like its common knowledge, so why mention the pans :confused:.

You say its "cheaper to eat there" but many of the chains you mentioned are not particularly cheap, the likes of eddie rockets even have nicknames like empty pockets. I would be interested to hear of the decent places in Liffey Valley.

I always maintained that if they did the likes of that "supersize me" documentary in most well known hotels in Ireland and followed the same rules that you would end up fatter in them than in mcdonalds here. Breakfast, lunch and dinner in most would have me like a pig.

Advertisement