Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Murt10 wrote: »
    On Facebook, they have just announced that they have a full selection of real ales from E2.95 a pint.

They were only E2.75 last week, so they have just increased prices again by just under 10%.

Didn't take them long in Ireland to start pushing up the prices to the maximum the market will bear.

Full selection !! - that's almost false advertising :D I was on there on the night of 1st September and they had ran out of every ale - I went back in on Wednesday the 7th and they had only just received their delivery but it wouldn't be cask conditioned until the 8th (yesterday) at the earliest - that over a week without a single ale in stock.

I filled in the online feedback form and received this by email yesterday:

"Sorry to hear that you had a visit to the great wood I can understand your frustration and I as well was not happy that we had no ales on sale. This has only happened to me 1 before in 10 years of running pubs for this company and was ashamed to see this and have to put the signs up my self was killing me. Unfortunately it was true the delivery of ales never came in since we have to order our ales just over 2 weeks in advance of delivery they were unable to provide me with any extra barrels since they are shipped from the UK . I am hoping the delivery comes in tomorrow and we should have resumed normal ale business by Wednesday this week due to conditioning of the beers.
    Please come in and introduce yourself to the team and I will be happy to give you a couple of free Pint of ale on the house for the inconvenience caused .

Regards

George Collins
    Pub Manager. "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Good grief did Gerry get his 3 year old to write that? It's great to get a response from a business, but they should at least try to be professional about it and use real words, check spelling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Gaspode wrote: »
    Good grief did Gerry get his 3 year old to write that? It's great to get a response from a business, but they should at least try to be professional about it and use real words, check spelling etc.

Maybe George is Gerrys 3 year old ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hah, serves me right for being a knob! George it is!

I sent back an email saying that I'd been in on Wednesday & still no ale...another taxi fare wasted & this has just pinged into my email.

"I think I might of spoken to you myself when you came in on Wednesday I do apologies for this it really is out of my hands since it wasn’t just this site that had no Ales on I found out it was also all other 4 sites in the ROI sites that didn’t receive this and I’ve got head office making sure this never happens again from a contractual point of view. I really respect that you let me know that you came in again and there were no Ales I am so sorry I can see that you’re a passionate ale drinker Like myself and I will be happy to honour your free pints, and I would love to throw in a meal for 2 as well on the house hopefully this will help towards the cab fares spent . Would defiantly recommend our new dish the lamb shoulder it goes amazing with a pint of Abbot ale. I do have six hand pulls in operation as I type with ale on each one. Please let me know as well if there is any brands ales that are your favourites as well and I will try and get this in for you if I can, if you wish to try us again .
    Hopefully looking forward to seeing you soon

Regards
    George Collins
    Pub Manager "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

May want to change your font colour there.

<mod edit - font changed>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Andip wrote: »
    I sent back an email saying that I'd been in on Wednesday & still no ale...another taxi fare wasted & this has just pinged into my email.

"I think I might of spoken to you myself when you came in on Wednesday I do apologies for this it really is out of my hands since it wasn’t just this site that had no Ales on I found out it was also all other 4 sites in the ROI sites that didn’t receive this and I’ve got head office making sure this never happens again from a contractual point of view. I really respect that you let me know that you came in again and there were no Ales I am so sorry I can see that you’re a passionate ale drinker Like myself and I will be happy to honour your free pints, and I would love to throw in a meal for 2 as well on the house hopefully this will help towards the cab fares spent . Would defiantly recommend our new dish the lamb shoulder it goes amazing with a pint of Abbot ale. I do have six hand pulls in operation as I type with ale on each one. Please let me know as well if there is any brands ales that are your favourites as well and I will try and get this in for you if I can, if you wish to try us again .
    Hopefully looking forward to seeing you soon

Regards
    George Collins
    Pub Manager "

He might not be the William Shakespeare of emails but at least the guy is trying his best to retain your custom. Sometimes things just go wrong in business and its left to those on the front line to sort out even though it wasn't their making or in their control. He seams to be taking ownership of the issue and I'd be quite happy to accept his offer if it were me.

Anecdotally, I recently sent an email to Java Republic asking why their coffee loyalty cards had gone from buy four get the fifth free to buy nine get the tenth free. The response I got two days later didn't address my question and my subsequent email didn't get a reply. This in contrast is how not to deal with a customer query.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

George Collins is trying his best.

He seems a genuine man.

I would return just to honour the man.

Even at 2.95, it's still good value.

I heard today the Nearys off Grafton street charge 5.40 for Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Geuze wrote: »
    George Collins is trying his best.

He seems a genuine man.

I would return just to honour the man.

Even at 2.95, it's still good value.

I heard today the Nearys off Grafton street charge 5.40 for Guinness.

It's years since they have been charging more than a fiver for Guinness and not just a recent hike

VeVeX wrote: »
    He might not be the William Shakespeare of emails but at least the guy is trying his best to retain your custom. Sometimes things just go wrong in business and its left to those on the front line to sort out even though it wasn't their making or in their control. He seams to be taking ownership of the issue and I'd be quite happy to accept his offer if it were me.

Anecdotally, I recently sent an email to Java Republic asking why their coffee loyalty cards had gone from buy four get the fifth free to buy nine get the tenth free. The response I got two days later didn't address my question and my subsequent email didn't get a reply. This in contrast is how not to deal with a customer query.

I can't fault the guy and will definitely go back just to say thanks. Not really looking for a free pint or meal tbh as €2.95 will hardly break the bank but was very refreshed to get such an honest reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

VeVeX wrote: »

Fair play to the bloke, to my mind he is interested in his customers and wants to try and keep their business, an attitude I seldom see from managers in the large chain stores.

I love it the way you slag the bloke for not be Shakesphere, you might want to check your spelling first :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Pint of Coors €1.95 today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Fair play to the bloke, to my mind he is interested in his customers and wants to try and keep their business, an attitude I seldom see from managers in the large chain stores.

I love it the way you slag the bloke for not be Shakesphere Shakespeare, you might want to check your spelling first :p

I wasn't slagging him, other posters commented as such, plus SEEMS you need to check your own spelling Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Went in there yesterday.Not at all impressed with their new prices.We got food and I had a few beers.They really have hiked the prices and the amount of chips with the mains was hilariously small.That coupled with the actual quality of the fare makes it not worth a visit anymore in my opinion.They were out of a lot of items yet again.€4.75 for a pint of heineken isnt much to shout about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

magentis wrote: »
    €4.75 for a pint of heineken isnt much to shout about.
    it is not the same as other pubs though, its 5% vs 4.3%, so if you were to water it down to the same level its like a pint of 4.3% for €4.08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Stuff like Lagunitas for €3.50 or €3.75 and Sabotage IPA for €4.50 is where there are excellent savings.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Both of which are very nice beers.

kenon wrote: »
    Stuff like Lagunitas for €3.50 or €3.75 and Sabotage IPA for €4.50 is where there are excellent savings.

A bottle of Tsingtao or Bierre Moretti etc was €3.95 now €5.20

rubadub wrote: »
    it is not the same as other pubs though, its 5% vs 4.3%, so if you were to water it down to the same level its like a pint of 4.3% for €4.08

True but I suppose i'm looking at it like going in and having 3 or 4 pints there or elsewhere.I would rather pay the extra 25-50 cents and have them somewhere with a bit of atmosphere.

The prices of almost everything has shot up especially the food and its not small increases,in a lot of cases its 20-25%.

If they actually had it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

They have never not had them when I have gone there. In saying that, you can only get the Sabotage IPA downstairs.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

They have never not had them when I have gone there. In saying that, you can only get the Sabotage IPA downstairs.

I went through 3 different choices and eventually gave up and ordered a heineken.

Same with the drinks with the kids meals,it was the 3rd choice there too.

Signs on the counter "managers special,lemon tart €2.95" they didnt have that either.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

py2006 wrote: »
    A bottle of Tsingtao or Bierre Moretti etc was €3.95 now €5.20

Dearer than the Blackrock one so, think I was paying €4.70 for a Birra Moretti there last week.

Dearer than the Blackrock one so, think I was paying €4.70 for a Birra Moretti there last week.

Yea it was dearer from day one. Its now 3 price increases in the year it's open.

I'm hesitant to recommend as they might run out of it, but if you liked Jaipur, they have a cracking beer called Indian summer on at €2.95. Great flavour, feels very light for a 4.8%

Just leave some for me 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'm hesitant to recommend as they might run out of it, but if you liked Jaipur, they have a cracking beer called Indian summer on at €2.95. Great flavour, feels very light for a 4.8%

Just leave some for me 🙄
    Probably have 1 keg. 3 price increases in 12mths. Ridiculous.

dodzy wrote: »
    Probably have 1 keg. 3 price increases in 12mths. Ridiculous.

Its still under €3 a pint !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Its still under €3 a pint !

It's not that the price for that beer is high but it is very unprofessional of any business to put up their prices three times in a year. It's not like their wages rent or other costs have increased several times in a year. Most likely they will have long term pricing and rent arrangements. If they are this unprofessional in their cost and price management it is likely that is also managements approach in the back room elements of the business.
    It is likely that after the budget some types of drink will have a change in price so they could make it four increases in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Wetherspoons make their money off the food, not the drink. In the case of this branch it seems the kitchen is letting it down in that the food has a really bad reputation. Maybe they raised the drink prices to offset it rather than work on the food issue. The reviews on the FB page are shocking!

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    Wetherspoons make their money off the food, not the drink. In the case of this branch it seems the kitchen is letting it down in that the food has a really bad reputation. Maybe they raised the drink prices to offset it rather than work on the food issue. The reviews on the FB page are shocking!

They were more expensive than the Dun Laoghaire branch from the off.

Advertisement