Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

py2006 wrote: »
    They were more expensive than the Dun Laoghaire branch from the off.

Still are apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

AlanG wrote: »
    It's not that the price for that beer is high but it is very unprofessional of any business to put up their prices three times in a year. It's not like their wages rent or other costs have increased several times in a year. Most likely they will have long term pricing and rent arrangements. If they are this unprofessional in their cost and price management it is likely that is also managements approach in the back room elements of the business.
    It is likely that after the budget some types of drink will have a change in price so they could make it four increases in a year.

As they buy all of their beer in the UK, are they subject to Irish or UK budget hikes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Andip wrote: »
    [
    As they buy all of their beer in the UK, are they subject to Irish or UK budget hikes ?

Duity is playable here,

They have a good bit of Irish craft, more than others in the D15 area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Good insights on this thread lads cheers. Am tempted to pop down this evening after dinner for drinks only. What's the general atmosphere like? Any good ales available at the moment (given supply issues mentioned).

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Andip wrote: »

It will be Irish VAT and Excise that impacts them, source has no bearing on it when the product is for resale. It is likely that while most drink wont go up in the budget at lease one type will and therefore they will have to reissue their menu and it gives another chance for a price rise across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was talking to George the Manager last night.

He's heading back to Blighty in a fortnight to another Wetherspoons pub.

Sorry to see him go. Nice bloke!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

#Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

AlanG wrote: »
    It will be Irish VAT and Excise that impacts them, source has no bearing on it when the product is for resale. It is likely that while most drink wont go up in the budget at lease one type will and therefore they will have to reissue their menu and it gives another chance for a price rise across the board.

I think he was put in there to stabilise things - Wetherspoons have a habit of doing that, but its a shame as he was really sociable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

In the swords branch. Food and drink cheaper. Ordered a panini which has a more generous portion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Andip wrote:
    I think he was put in there to stabilise things - Wetherspoons have a habit of doing that, but its a shame as he was really sociable

George was there from day one. I had actually heard a while back they wanted to fire him over a nasty incident (i won't say what it was) but couldn't so they're moving him to another branch. Shame as he's a genuinely lovely man and was great to his staff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

amdublin wrote: »
    The quiz on Wednesday night is good craic.

1 euro per each team member - in aid of laura lynn

Do they still run the Wednesday quiz? I can't see anything about it on their Facebook page or website.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

miamee wrote: »
    Do they still run the Wednesday quiz? I can't see anything about it on their Facebook page or website.

They do. But it's on too late for me. Starts about 9 iirc.

If you go please ask them to start at 8pm :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

8pm does sound a lot more respectable, these things have a tendency to run on a bit, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

A few of us went for some food recently. We ordered 7 items between us and only the onion rings were edible. The service was poor as well. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Realised how happy I am to have Wetherspoons as a local. Went to The Paddocks last night for a quick beer and asked a bar man for an IPA. Said they had none of that queer **** on tap at the moment. Dawned on me why I hadn't gone for a beer there in 3 years.
    Probably won't go again for another 3 years.
    Shame really as it's practically on my doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Realised how happy I am to have Wetherspoons as a local. Went to The Paddocks last night for a quick beer and asked a bar man for an IPA. Said they had none of that queer **** on tap at the moment. Dawned on me why I hadn't gone for a beer there in 3 years.
    Probably won't go again for another 3 years.
    Shame really as it's practically on my doorstep.

Complain! Social media is powerful

Might be of interest to some people here, they seem to be getting a bit of feedback on the post itself already. Click the image for link to post.

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/64243/421557.png[/IMG][/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Why whats it meant to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

jeffk wrote:
    Why whats it meant to be?

A quiet pub with emphasis on cheap food and drink. People expect it to be a cafe when it's more like McDonald's, or like a typical loud pub with loud music when a quieter atmosphere is their aim.

rawn wrote: »
    A quiet pub with emphasis on cheap food and drink. People expect it to be a cafe when it's more like McDonald's, or like a typical loud pub with loud music when a quieter atmosphere is their aim.

Well its not THAT cheap on some items.

Gave it another go, the food is nice, but I dunno if id go main course items, I mean a fry or wrap you cant or shouldn't get wrong

I do agree its nice to sit in an talk not shout to each other, maybe even low background music to break the silence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

The comments are hilarious.
    Do they not know what Wetherspoons pubs offer?

Punters asking for Diageo drinks, music and Sky Sports...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

jeffk wrote: »
    Well its not THAT cheap on some items.

Gave it another go, the food is nice, but I dunno if id go main course items, I mean a fry or wrap you cant or shouldn't get wrong

I do agree its nice to sit in an talk not shout to each other, maybe even low background music to break the silence

You can get a pint of Thornbridge Jaipur for €2.95. A beer that is regularly sold for €7+ in other bars in Dublin.

Spoons is cheap as chips.

You can get a pint of Thornbridge Jaipur for €2.95. A beer that is regularly sold for €7+ in other bars in Dublin.

Spoons is cheap as chips.

If you're into non commercial/craft beers maybe and unless they've ran out of limited stock they hold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ongarite wrote: »
    The comments are hilarious.
    Do they not know what Wetherspoons pubs offer?

Punters asking for Diageo drinks, music and Sky Sports...

All the reasons I go there for a pint now.

Advertisement