Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I’m hoping it does well; just the last two (excluding west name changes) new shiny pubs that opened in the centre didn’t fare well in the end. Plus the centre needs a decent normal food place and then to have a drink with it is a bonus,

I think the late bar/music route is more than covered in the area. Be heading to “west” before going to a local late bar, it’s the reverse of what I and most people used to do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Had lunch in there earlier. Not bad. The place is lovely but it is huge and on two floors. I can see them eventually not using the upstairs.

They will require bouncers at night as it may attract some of the more dodgy characters.

The increase in drink prices is very disappointing. I think they have shot themselves in the foot there as the regulars from the surrounding pubs prob won't bother with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm not a Wetherspoons fan. The two I've been to were totally different from each other but equally awful. I was willing to give the one in Blanch a go though, particularly having seen the prices on the menus of the other ones in Dublin. I'm not so keen now that they've put the prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Have the priced been raised in the two current bars do we know?

Edit: Menu comparison from the Beer forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96065339&postcount=2323

• Advertisement

Looks like its gone from oh look cheap drink to normal priced but having a normal food option in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

jeffk wrote: »
    Looks like its gone from oh look cheap drink to normal priced but having a normal food option in the centre

Are there many place in the blanch area that you can get a bemish for 3.50?

oblivious wrote: »
    Are there many place in the blanch area that you can get a bemish for 3.50?

Are there many places in Blanch you'd want to drink bemish?

I drank it when I was 18 and it was £2, id rather do without than drink it now cause its cheaper than Guinness

Are there many places in Blanch you'd want to drink bemish?

I drank it when I was 18 and it was £2, id rather do without than drink it now cause its cheaper than Guinness

Not if there is a choice.

I just asking about your "cheap drink to normal priced" comment. Is 3.50 normal price in D15 for a bemish or is it still cheap than other pubs in the area?

Not if there is a choice.

I just asking about your "cheap drink to normal priced" comment. Is 3.50 normal price in D15 for a bemish or is it still cheap than other pubs in the area?

I'm not sure because I wouldn't drink it, usually Heineken/Carlsberg if on pints.

Talking to herself about captains and coke and agreed they are about average. Asking me price of shots, but cant see any on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'm not sure because I wouldn't drink it, usually Heineken/Carlsberg if on pints.

Talking to herself about captains and coke and agreed they are about average. Asking me price of shots, but cant see any on the menu.

I thought I saw spirits were €3.95 with a free mixer - that's cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I’m hoping it does well; just the last two (excluding west name changes) new shiny pubs that opened in the centre didn’t fare well in the end. Plus the centre needs a decent normal food place and then to have a drink with it is a bonus,

Yeah, I agree that's what's needed. I've often been over there and fancied a bit of grub and a pint and you're not served particularly well (TGIs and Captain Americas aren't great).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree that's what's needed. I've often been over there and fancied a bit of grub and a pint and you're not served particularly well (TGIs and Captain Americas aren't great).

Wetherspoons food will not be better than either of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Staplor wrote: »
    I thought I saw spirits were €3.95 with a free mixer - that's cheap

They were mostly 3.95, now 4.75. Yes, free mixer, and double for 2 euro extra.

The prices are say a euro cheaper on some drinks, but the hype around it, had people(including me) expecting higher savings

Another advantage they have(if late opening), is there wont be the standard drinks going up over the course of the night to pay for DJ/Band

Before they increased prices this week, the "hype" was partly deserved.

They don't open late.

Geuze wrote: »
    Before they increased prices this week, the "hype" was partly deserved.

They don't open late.

Well the hype will die down so.

Ill look forward to another food option in the centre, plus wont be rip off prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I love the fact that people are already complaining about the clientèle, in an establishment that has yet to open.
    Apologies all. I really want this to work, really. It'll be great for the area, no doubt and I am looking forward to frequenting it as I'm a big fan of their business model. All indications are that it'll be well policed as I'm sure they have done their homework. That said, light, heaven, Buddha bar. All in the same area. All failed. Door staff IMO Had a lot to answer for in all of those cases. Here's hoping they break the mould here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Someone that has the guts of 1,000 pubs, some in the dodgiest areas of the UK, didn't enter the Irish market without a plan.

If he only wanted to enter here and run kips, I'm sure he could have spent a lot less, and own far more pubs than he currently does.

He knows what he's doing (I hope)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

beer garden was fairly busy when i drove past at about 6:00

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

€3.95 for a Birra Moretti, fairly certain I was paying €2.75 in Blackrock a couple of months back!

I popped in last night 2.50 for a pint of Adnams Ghost-ship in very good condition. There is a good selection of Irish craft beer from 8 degrees, Bru and McGraths. This is possibly one if the largest selection of Irish craft beer in the are, but why did it take an English pup chain for this to happen?

I popped in last night 2.50 for a pint of Adnams Ghost-ship in very good condition. There is a good selection of Irish craft beer from 8 degrees, Bru and McGraths. This is possibly one if the largest selection of Irish craft beer in the are, but why did it take an English pup chain for this to happen?

What was the crowd like last night? Was it packed?

py2006 wrote: »
    What was the crowd like last night? Was it packed?

The usual cross section you get in a few pubs around the area. If they put money in proper security it should keep any issue under control

Was it packed?
    Yeah it was busy, slowish at the bar.

The usual cross section you get in a few pubs around the area. If they put money in proper security it should keep any issue under control

Yeah it was busy, slowish at the bar.

Yea think I will avoid it at night time.

I was there yesterday morning, the staff were nice and understandably nervous. It will probably take a week or so for things to settle.

Yea think I will avoid it at night time..
    I am not sure if they are going for for a late licence.

€3.95 for a Birra Moretti, fairly certain I was paying €2.75 in Blackrock a couple of months back!

I am looking at an Oct 2014 menu from the 3T in Blackrock.

Birra Moretti was 2.45 for 33cl.

Many 33cl bottles were 2.45.

Now, in July 2015 in TGW menu, Birra Moretti is 3.95, BUT it's a 660ml bottle.

So it's actually cheaper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

dodzy wrote: »
    Apologies all. I really want this to work, really. It'll be great for the area, no doubt and I am looking forward to frequenting it as I'm a big fan of their business model. All indications are that it'll be well policed as I'm sure they have done their homework. That said, light, heaven, Buddha bar. All in the same area. All failed. Door staff IMO Had a lot to answer for in all of those cases. Here's hoping they break the mould here.

I think comparing nightclubs that cater for the under 25s en masse with a family bar/restaurant is not a great analogy. I would be more likely to compare the new Wetherspoons with the bar at the Crowne Plaza hotel which also has a strong food offering. I've been there a few times and the clientele is always fine and the atmosphere welcoming and safe. Saying that, they always have a bouncer which probably keeps the undesirables out.

I would think younger folk would find Wetherspoons with it's lack of music and many dining around them a rather boring place to hang out for serious sessions/piss ups. I think it will attract a lot of shoppers at the centre at weekends particularly who will go there before or after their shopping.

• Advertisement

The undesirables may also keep the families away in late evenings etc. remains to be seen.

Advertisement