Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Was in it the other day, nice place, once things have died down it will be a good spot to go for food or drink.Prices are not as low as expected but still cheaper than other establishments in the area, will put pressure on the likes of TGIs and Captain Americas to lower prices hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

jeffk wrote: »
    Back again

Great price breakfast, large with tea or coffee €7

Busy enough as well

Taste freshly cooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Taste freshly cooked?

Sure did, the rashers and tomatoe had black marks from the grill

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

Sure did, the rashers and tomatoe had black marks from the grill

Can't say I found that appealing - awful dirty bbq taste off the rashers which I don't want in a breakfast. When I pierced my sausage with the fork, grease sprayed all over my top. One slice of toast with the breakfast too which is the cheap European type sweet bread.

Will give it a go for Curry Club night but doubt I'll be eating there much.

Gerlad wrote: »
    Can't say I found that appealing - awful dirty bbq taste off the rashers which I don't want in a breakfast. When I pierced my sausage with the fork, grease sprayed all over my top. One slice of toast with the breakfast too which is the cheap European type sweet bread.

Will give it a go for Curry Club night but doubt I'll be eating there much.

Weatherspoons Large breakfast with tea or coffee €7
    The Bell in the village for slightly more with tea or coffee €8.50
    Dunnes Stores Cafe 8 Items with tea or coffee €8.50

Seems the price of frys has dropped down a lot, use to remember them being €10 plus with tea/coffee extra

• Advertisement

Decided to fire this off via their online contact

This is about the Great Wood Branch

As you will see in the following link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057328427

a number of people are very dissapointed (including myself) in the changes in food and drink prices

I am wondering is there any particular reason for these sudden price increases? Some items are up 33%

Yours,
    Jeff

Dear Mr King

Thank you for your web form.

We are sorry to note your disappointment with our prices.

We do feel our current pricing structure remains competitive across all of our products and we still offer great value for money.

Overall we will continue with our commitment to ensure you receive excellent value when visiting our pubs.

Yours sincerely
    Claire Campbell
    JD Wetherspoon plc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Dear Mr King

Thank you for your web form.

We are sorry to note your disappointment with our prices.

We do feel our current pricing structure remains competitive across all of our products and we still offer great value for money.

Overall we will continue with our commitment to ensure you receive excellent value when visiting our pubs.

Yours sincerely
    Claire Campbell
    JD Wetherspoon plc

Anyone know if they upped the prices in the Southside 'Spoons to correspond with our place ?

dodzy wrote: »
    Anyone know if they upped the prices in the Southside 'Spoons to correspond with our place ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96126717

"It would seem that ales are indeed still €2.50 in Dun Laoghaire."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Murt10 wrote: »
    I don't think it's the bouncers job to check age, surely that's up to the person serving the drink.

Of course it is doormen let the people in, if there are no doormen its the barstaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

a number of people are very dissapointed (including myself) in the changes in food and drink prices

I am wondering is there any particular reason for these sudden price increases? Some items are up 33%
    This will sound pedantic, but there was no price increase, so it was certainly not "sudden". That smacks of the language you get in the consumer rip off forum, people saying "donuts in tesco went up 50% overnight, OVERNIGHT" as though there would be a gradual increase over 6 months in a pack of 5 donuts going from €1 to €1.50 -people using percentages as they do not want to reveal that the prices are actually still very good relative to other outlets.

Some food items are cheaper than blackrock & dun laoghaire, so I would guess they think this pub will attract more drinkers and less eaters, so want to encourage eating more and charge what they can for the drink. I would not expect the camden street branch to be as cheap as blackrock when it opens, it will be a big drinking spot and they would be idiots not to maximise their profits.

I think it would be very odd for them to have the same pricing, just like if all the Maldron hotels were the same I would think it very peculiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Was there today again..food was a bit better..I had the chicken/ribs combo..

There's a sh1t load of teething/on the job learning problems, like tables not been cleaned, two waiting staff at our table at the same time asking was all ok, cold coffee, stuff not been brought to the table, empty milk jugs etc.

Still not gonna write it off.

On the price increase, is that for food too? is the food prices in the Great Wood higher than the other spots?? I wouldn't be too impressed with that..

On a side note, have a look at the plaque on the outside of the building. Gives a little history talking about wild boars and thick forest, then the West nightclub in the next sentence. It also calls the surrounding area Coalmine??

rubadub wrote: »
    This will sound pedantic, but there was no price increase, so it was certainly not "sudden". That smacks of the language you get in the consumer rip off forum, people saying "donuts in tesco went up 50% overnight, OVERNIGHT" as though there would be a gradual increase over 6 months in a pack of 5 donuts going from €1 to €1.50 -people using percentages as they do not want to reveal that the prices are actually still very good relative to other outlets.

Some food items are cheaper than blackrock & dun laoghaire, so I would guess they think this pub will attract more drinkers and less eaters, so want to encourage eating more and charge what they can for the drink. I would not expect the camden street branch to be as cheap as blackrock when it opens, it will be a big drinking spot and they would be idiots not to maximise their profits.

I think it would be very odd for them to have the same pricing, just like if all the Maldron hotels were the same I would think it very peculiar.

So you think a place with its main selling point as cheap drink should charge different prices as and where it feels?

So why don’t all multi shops do that? You don’t go to one Lidl and pay x and then drive across the city and suddenly its dearer.

Let’s call a spade a spade, by and large Blackrock & Dun Laoghaire are more upper class, yet the drinks are cheaper. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

any idea when camden street is going to open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Why on earth should people in the great wood be paying more than people in blackrock and dl for the same product?And lets face it the quality of the food in there is average at best.
    They were out of almost all beer on tap when i was there,i ended up drinking tuborg which was horrible.
    I would rather pay a little extra to drink what i like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

From being in wetherspoons in the uk,the only trump card they have is much lower prices than establishments in the area,here they simply are not low enough.The crowd that they allowed in last saturday night was awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Weatherspoons Large breakfast with tea or coffee €7
    The Bell in the village for slightly more with tea or coffee €8.50
    Dunnes Stores Cafe 8 Items with tea or coffee €8.50

Seems the price of frys has dropped down a lot, use to remember them being €10 plus with tea/coffee extra

Amber Cafe is probably the best fry I've had in D15.
    mrmorgan wrote: »

Not for a long time, so much work to be done on that site.

So you think a place with its main selling point as cheap drink should charge different prices as and where it feels?

My guess is it's due to the lack of competition in the area

Amber Cafe is probably the best fry I've had in D15.

Have you ate in the Cozy Cottage, the place between the lane/ bike shop, great fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I asked them on twitter and their response was "@thegreatwoodjdw: prices differ across all of our pubs due to different rents, utilities bills and so on"

ciaran76 wrote:
    I asked them on twitter and their response was "@thegreatwoodjdw: prices differ across all of our pubs due to different rents, utilities bills and so on"

So its dearer to rent in blanch than dl or blackrock. I seriously doubt that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So its dearer to rent in blanch than dl or blackrock. I seriously doubt that

I don't, Blanch is the next order of rent below the City Centre and Dundrum. Besides they bought the Blackrock premises and the Dun Laoghaire one was a distressed asset, probably got a good deal there.

Id say thats only part of the story though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Not for a long time, so much work to be done on that site.
    Exactly, I just walked past a couple of days ago, not a single thing has been done aside from sticking up a SOLD sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Sounds like usual BS for excusing price hikes. End of the day they are a chain of premises not franchises. Part of their 'appeal' in the UK is their consistency on pricing policy but hey ho they get to Ireland & 3 guesses.......

Yeah, I think it would be strange if all prices were the same. I would think it odd if multi pub publicans like Charlie Chawke all charged the same in all his pubs.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k5923896-Beer_and_food_Prices_at_J_D_Wetherspoon_pub-United_Kingdom.html
    -i searched online and on wetherspoon's site but there is no indication of prices of the menu...

-I don't think there is a way to find the prices as they vary from pub to pub (or area to area). What area are you looking at?...

I- think prices vary depending where you are in the country, but in general expect to pay about £5 - £7 for a meal.

-Drink prices are cheap too, but do vary depending on where you are - for example, I was in a Wetherspoons in Liverpool the other day and all pints cost £2.09.
    But in the Wetherspoons in Leicester Square in London I was charged about £3.70 for the same drink.

So why don’t all multi shops do that? You don’t go to one Lidl and pay x and then drive across the city and suddenly its dearer.
    They print weekly catalogues and advertise prices in the media so it makes sense to be the same. The likes of tesco express do charge different prices. I gave the example of chains of hotels, which I would compare them closer to.

Let’s call a spade a spade, by and large Blackrock & Dun Laoghaire are more upper class, yet the drinks are cheaper. Why?
    supply & demand, or some marketing reasons. Why would they not maximise profits should be the question. And why would they change from what they do in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ciaran76 wrote: »

Wow, I thought the pricing structure would be the same across all sites in a particular country. The menu food options are even identical to what I've seen in the UK pubs. Using the baloney excuse the poster was given above on Twitter would would imply that Dunnes in Grafton Street should charge more than Dunnes in Letterkenny becuase rents would be so much higher but they don't...bit of a BS excuse if you ask me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't, Blanch is the next order of rent below the City Centre and Dundrum. Besides they bought the Blackrock premises and the Dun Laoghaire one was a distressed asset, probably got a good deal there.

Id say thats only part of the story though

I thought they bought the Blanch premises for 3.2million?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joec316

Its not usual to have different prices in different Wetherspoons in the same city. In London there is a difference of £1 on drinks in some Wetherspoons that are within walking distance of each other.

ongarboy wrote: »
    The menu food options are even identical to what I've seen in the UK pubs.
    The uk bars have the same menus and varying prices, nothing new about what they are doing here.
    py2006 wrote: »
    I thought they bought the Blanch premises for 3.2million?
    this is the 2 other sites supposed prices.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/wetherspoons-snaps-up-forty-foot-30416595.html
    It is unclear how much was paid for the site (forty foot) which has more than 10,000ft of space and previously included a nightclub.

It is understood the asking price was around €1.5m - the same price that the chain paid for the site of Tonic in Blackrock.
    Dun Laoghaire is struggling very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

rubadub wrote: »

Dun Laoghaire is struggling very badly.

Says who? A daily visual appraisal tells me its briskly busy pretty much all day and packed out on weekend nights. They must have some eye-watering overheads if theyre struggling

• Advertisement

They should up their prices to €4.50 and us Blanch people will feel better and they wont struggle, win win!

Advertisement