Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Options
  • 17-11-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭

Hi boardsies, Ososlo (blame her) pointed me in the direction of Training Logs and suggested that I might like to add one. So here I am.

You can probably guess from the log title that I am shooting for some targets. You might also guess from my user name that I am female, with affiliations to Dublin and am aged 32. I am also not a mathematician.

Back in the 80s my 'previous life', I ran a lot for a teenager. Skip a few decades and I am again running a lot. The interim, not so much. My twenties I spent running away from running, my thirties were spent running back to running, away from running...and mostly drawing to a standstill.

In many ways, I feel like a dinosaur or like I have entered a different century in my reincarnation as a runner (ok, actually I have. Push comes to shove I have entered a new millennium...).
    I only found out what a Garmin is this last August, I have no idea what VO2 max is, my HR Max is uncharted territory and I am still sketchy re aerobic and anaerobic fitness details.......
    I am going to relearn how to run 'by feel/effort' (actually that's going well, slowly but well) so won't invest in a gps watch just yet. I will get a HRM and definitely buy a stopwatch. The other details I hope to fill in via you guys.

I picked up my asics last Jan and decided (cue eyeball roll) to....run the marathon. As a bucket list thing. So yeah.

I'm glad I did, me and running are back together (*violins*).

And of course the marathon bit me. In the bum and badly. 23 minute positive split anybody?! But along the way I hope I have banked some endurance and have definitely dipped my toe into the beginnings of some quality session work.

For 2015 my targets are:

5k sub 20 mins (Current 21:38)
    10k as near to 40 mins as I can (None official)
    10 miles as far below 75 as I can (Current 78:04)
    HM 1:35. (Current 1:41:08)

Would also like a crack at the track, 800m, 1500m and 3000m for old time's sake.

All advice and suggestions very welcome, thanks in advance. Nagging 'have you done your core exercises this week??' especially welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck with it - you've hit some impressive times already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Delighted to see you start this Dubgal :)

Will enjoy following your progress and excited to see what you'll achieve over the following months.
    Best of luck with the log and training!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks Tom Joad, encouraging :-)
    Os, I seem to spend a lot of our conversation thanking you, here goes another one :) A priority is staying injury free, tbh there are a few post-marathon small niggles that I am monitoring so will be hopefully exercising restraint as needs.
    I have signed up for the Jingle Bells 5k on 6 Dec, I'll be away next week for 8 days. This could really be a blessing in disguise as I don't expect to do more than three or four *40 mins easy runs so any niggles will be gone by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Those are pretty impressive times so far and some really good goals. Best of luck with both the log and the training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck with the log and with your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Great start to your log, looking forward to seeing you hit your targets! I've no doubts that you can do it!

First session to report here :-)
    Since the marathon, I haven't taken a complete break, I've been getting out 3-4 times a week and on days where I would have gone for a 6k recovery run, I've had a day off. 8 days ago, I felt I blew off the last of the marathon cobwebs with a 4.5 mile plus strides run, followed by a fartlek plus hills session with the club on Thursday.
    This morning's session included 6.75k fartlek but more what I call 'old skool' fartlek. I did a few of these in the late 80s and hated them because, unlike interval training' you don't get much of a rest. The idea was to keep a steady base pace and surge at designated points. No stopwatch this morning so ran by feel over tarmac'd parkland on a 2.25k loop
    I surprised myself by enjoying this (even running solo) but should have focused on keeping the effort as even as the pace. The first lap was comfortable, the second lap was comfortable/hard enough and the third lap was hard. Managed to stay relaxed and keep some form.
    Each lap was 2.25k and the surges ranged from 150m to 400m. The recoveries/return to base pace were, if anything, shorter in distance than the surges.
    Pleased with this one, legs were jelly at the end but after some gentle stretches I was ready for an easy 3 mile recovery home.
    Hip niggled a bit on the last mile so back to physio this week.
    2.5m warm up
    4.25m fartlek
    3m warm down
    T 9.75 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BeerTrixPotter

Good luck with the log and goals. Look forward to tracking your progress on the logs (because I will be miles behind you at at any races!!!)

Nothing much to report since Tuesday:

Wednesday:
    4 miles easy, felt yesterday's session in my legs.

Thursday:
    4 miles steady incl 3*150m strides at 70-80% effort. Legs fresh but wooden if that makes sense. Not happy about hip but didn't make an appt with physio. I think I had 'if I ignore it, it will go away' syndrome.

Friday:
    Had 3*1k fartlek session planned but 1) didn't get out till after dark and 2) hip niggled enough for me to cut my run short. It probably had a lot to do with the 'wooden ness' yesterday. Didn't really enjoy this run, felt fresh at the start but it was wet and quite dark so was constantly on alert watching where I was going. When the hip started to niggle, I tensed up a bit more.
    Was going to do the fartlek session tomorrow but will rest. Going away on Sunday so won't get much (any?) running done next week.
    Total: 8/9k

Aims while away:
    Start the 30 day challenge I signed up for 10 days ago...
    Restart core exercises.
    Rest/don't stress.
    Go to physio on return. Immediately!

Total for week:
    4runs, 22.5 miles. If I post a run for tomorrow, shoot me.

• Advertisement

Core and Day 1 of the 30 Day Challenge done. Go me :)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Ooh you are wicked aren't you?! But I like it :-) Ok, I accept...some of them anyway. I'll definitely give the 400m a bash in the spring, will chivito550 stop growling then?! Did you do the 800 in the end?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ooh you are wicked aren't you?! But I like it :-) Ok, I accept...some of them anyway. I'll definitely give the 400m a bash in the spring, will chivitothingy stop growling then?! Did you do the 800 in the end?

ha ha maybe a little wicked alright :P

Great. Can't wait to see you smash up some of those targets.
    Yeah Chivito will be best pleased I'd imagine that you're giving the 400 a shot:D

I did try the 800 up in ALSAA on me tod in August. Got 3:09 (could be a few seconds out either way). I was surprised I even went that 'fast' to be honest with you as speed is definitely not my forte as you may have guessed!
    Going to give it another shot before the year is out to see how much closer I am as I definitely feel fitter/faster now than I did over the summer.
    I wish more of the faster ladies would try some of these!

3:09 on your tod is not to be sneezed at, at all. You will definitely smash that in 2015. Greystones is my nearest track but would be up for a few track sessions in the Dublin area come spring if you like.

3:09 on your tod is not to be sneezed at, at all. You will definitely smash that in 2015. Greystones is my nearest track but would be up for a few track sessions in the Dublin area come spring if you like.

Cheers.
    That's actually a really good idea for spring. 2015 table here we come:D

Do it :-)

How are things going? How's the hip and did you go to physio?

Hi Os, thanks :-) got back late last night. I had almost a week of rest, a conscious decision to rest the hip while away.

I caved on Sunday, a week of wine, pmt and late nights had me itching for a run (not all hedonism, the 2yo developed an ear infection mid-week).

I took myself out along the river Thames, intending to do 23 mins out/22 mins back but the morning was so gorgeous - I have pics but can't figure out the mechanisms of OH's phone I'm using to replace my kamikaze leithreas-prone phone - I ended up jogging from Surbiton, through Kingston-upon-Thames to Teddington Lock. I used to live in this neck of the woods but not as a runner so it was familiar territory. The clear blue sky, barges, rowers, civilised polite Sunday walkers and general joy of getting a run in made this the nicest run in a long time. My hip niggled ever so slightly and the glutes tightened up towards the end of the run but I was able to balance this by concentrating on form which helped.

From door to door I was out for 70 minutes, probably not the wisest move but had to be done. Luckily, no serious repercussions since, despite donning heels later in the day for another 'had to be done' restaurant appt :-)
    I made an appt with chiropractor/physical therapist this morning (tbc). Hopefully he'll give me the go ahead for Jingle Bells this Saturday. I'd like to get close to 21 mins but that probably won't happen, being realistic. If he doesn't give the go ahead I'll sulk a little but I think I'll go along anyway to support.

Well best of luck with the visit and hope you get the go-ahead for the race for that 21 min attack! If not then 2015 is just around the corner!
    Keep us posted!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3 Dec
    6k followed by strides and 2k cool down.

I wanted to test the hip out and generally just run (in case physio tells me to rest tomorrow...) The run started off easy but found myself entering a steady cruise pace easily enough. It was a cold fresh, crisp evening so I kept the legs warm in the winter fleece leggings but just t shirt on top. I felt really strong and fresh, nights like this make me love love love running (just thankful too that the hip stayed 'quiet'). The strides were the tester, I eased into them and by the fourth (and last one) I felt I had hit a nice rhythm at about 80% effort.
    Nice steady cool down too followed by 250m walking it out. Happy :-)

Physio says....go! He's not too concerned about my hip but will see me next Tuesday for a final tune up. My hips were out of sync, left side 1cm longer/shorter(?) than the other. A tug here, a push there, a drill here, a press everywhere followed by a laser blast = new me.

Rest day today and he promised me I'll be sore tomorrow :-/

Physio says....go! He's not too concerned about my hip but will see me next Tuesday for a final tune up. My hips were out of sync, left side 1cm longer/shorter(?) than the other. A tug here, a push there, a drill here, a press everywhere followed by a laser blast = new me.

Rest day today and he promised me I'll be sore tomorrow :-/

Great news now go get that 21 mins!:D

Great news now go get that 21 mins!:D
    Really have no idea if that's realistic at this stage but I'll give it a lash!

Thursday 4 Dec

Easy and steady running with the club including some gentle progressive hill reps and 4*10 sec strides to shake the legs out before Saturday. No niggle in the hip while running but a stabbing in my left buttock while sitting is a little worrying :-/
    70 mins total but not all running so will clock in for 7 miles.

Friday 5 Dec

3 miles very easy jogging plus 1.25m jogging and walking. Not great but that may have been because sometimes jogging slowly is hard work?
    Fingers crossed the kiddos let me sleep tonight because I am as grumpy as a seventh of the dwarves today...

Got myself a brand new shiny pb for 5k: 20:33. Over the moon. Race report to follow...tomorrow.
    Lovely to meet you career_move, adrian522, cianc and yabowsie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Incredible time!

Got myself a brand new shiny pb for 5k: 20:33. Over the moon. Race report to follow...tomorrow.
    Lovely to meet you career_move, adrian522, cianc and yabowsie ;)

Woo hoo!!!! Fantastic Dubgal! You're gonna do great things to that 10 Round Numbers table next year:D
    Enjoy the celebrations!

Incredible time!

Thanks :) really fast course so guess where I'll be attempting my 5k pb each year....

• Advertisement

Woo hoo!!!! Fantastic Dubgal! You're gonna do great things to that 10 Round Numbers table next year:D
    Enjoy the celebrations!

No pressure?! If i'm going down, you're coming too :) *osospeedy* ?!

Advertisement