Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Enniscorthy 10k 2015: Chip time 42:13. Outside mcmillan prediction but overall I am very happy with the outcome. Crossing the finish line was a guaranteed PB. It's a tough course :) Well done to the stable and well done Dark Horse aka MKDTH. Great to meet you all (except for BON aka The Quiet Man who did a disappearing act...). Having a bit of a hypo-glycemic tremble, despite the great spread so race report later :D

Aaah lack of food getting to me...third scorer on THE WINNING LADIES TEAM, SENIORS NOT MASTERS :D:D:D

Savage time. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nicely done DG!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

The PB train steams on! Great stuff DG, cracking run!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Still waiting on this race report! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Still waiting on this race report! :)

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha, sorry ladies. It'll be late tonight before I get a chance...

Mimojo wrote: »
    Well done DG, super running as always, enjoy the well deserved wine & chinese :-)
    Thanks, it certainly went down well :) .....
    Runchick wrote: »
    Geez you're flying DG, prize money too, sweet :D
    ...and the sweeter for being 'free' :D
    Duanington wrote: »
    Well done DG - great result !
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Stumbled across this log and glad I did. I haven't read it all but it's entertaining on a number of fronts and some impressive performances. Keep up the good work. Some very similar targets to my own too so will be following with interest.
    Hi RedRunner, welcome and thanks. Now I've discovered your log,we are definitely on similar trajectories. Race ye :D
    Savage time. Well done!
    Hi RQ, thanks! Hope your injury has disappeared and training going well. Ironman isn't it?
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Nicely done DG!!
    Thanks TJ, y'know on a few of those hills I was really thanking myself for doing the (DS ;) ) core stuff recently...so thank you too :)
    The PB train steams on! Great stuff DG, cracking run!:)
    Thanks NE, it'll slow for sure but hopefully not til next year. Right now I'm really enjoying the ride :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Super running, congrats!

Haha, sorry ladies. It'll be late tonight before I get a chance...

This is gonna be EPIC!

Race Report Enniscorthy 10k, 2015: 42:13, PB/debut

The week or so leading up to this race was filled with a bit of online banter and teasing started by a certain bousy boardsie. Yours truly was dragged into it. We'll mention no names here but 'LA' next time use your inside influence please and buy me a better handicap :D (and ban me from posting training sessions).

McMillan had me down to run just under 42 minutes for 10k based on my Raheny 5 mile two weeks ago. If you had told me six, even four months ago that I would realistically be contemplating this time I would have looked over my shoulder for the person you were obviously directing your comments at.
    But that wasn't good enough no...I seem to be getting a reputation as a sand bagger (:rolleyes:)...so I set the bar a bit higher; 41:24 @ 6:40 av pace. Not totally crazy, Raheny wasn't great pace wise (first mile 6:24) and I knew if I held back the first mile to 6:50 pace, I was in with a chance.

But there was also the course to consider. I was told it was fast (at the end) but that has to be taken relative to the first 5k... uphill...hmmm. Didn't like the sound of that. My club captain, whom I really trust and knows the course, told me it was going to be a tough race and not one for PBing but on this occasion, all I had to do was set the bar for return races.
    Another clubmate who asked what time I was hoping to do (the McMillan one, not the insane one :) ), did that barely imperceptible eye wince, combined with a barely audible 'tsk click' and again warned me that it was a tough course. He gently advised that I should be happy with anything from 44 mins down. He knows the course too so I re calibrated and set 44 minutes as the B Goal and 41:xx as the A Goal. I may have let the imagined toughness of the course psych me out a little but more of that later....

PRE RACE
    Race day arrived, nice and fresh as promised with the added challenge of mist as we entered Wexford. Feckin freezing in Enniscorthy. We got there quite early, picked up our numbers, had a chat with Adrian and sat in the car for a while.

I warmed up with the two clubmates I had come down with, an easy two miles or so. That was a first, I always warm up alone (zone thing) but this was pleasant actually. Saw a few more clubmates, including Emer911 looking fresh as a daisy and putting Molly Ringwald in the shade with her attire for the day. We were called to the start line and on the way I did a few drills but ran out of time and space for strides. Wasn't too bothered about this, the longer the race, the less thorough the warm up and I was happy enough with the jogging done. My hands had thawed out anyway :)

This is a really great race but it's time for a little grumble, sorry. The start was faaaar too congested, not helped by the approach. The only way to line up was by the start line. It would make sense to have the race starting in the other direction and cutting across an intersecting road to join the main course. It was actually the most congested and claustrophobic start I have experienced, not helped by the usual fecking suspects clogging up the front....I managed to get a start 7-8 rows back.
    All the congestion delayed the start and luckily a fellow runner pointed out that my (borrowed, I have not caved :) ) Garmin had returned to 'time'...so I quickly set it up again, phew.

THE RACE
    And we were off. The usual shuffling, scrambling etc. I glanced at the garmin to check it had started ok and luckily remembered that the silly time it was showing for pace (5:30) was only it getting a 'fix'.

THE GARMIN EXPERIMENT DIGRESSION
    After about 400m, I checked the pace (too soon?) and saw 6:xx something, can't remember but a bit faster than planned so dialled it back to 6:40. After another 300m I saw it was 6:50, more reasonable but the hill was tough enough so it felt a bit faster and harder. Yes, I checked again after a while...wasn't happy when the pace showed 7:00. This actually made me feel a bit despondent and doubts started to creep in. So I didn't look at the feckin thing again until the last KM or so.

So that was my brief history of Garmin use. Some of you may suggest giving it another chance but I don't think gps watches are for me in races. I'll use a stopwatch for sure to gauge mile/KM paces. I really didn't like the snap shots I was getting, especially when I saw a pace I didn't want to see. I felt I was being limited and the race was being dictated to me, rather than the other way round.

So I fixed on the pace I was at, if that was going to be 7 m/m pace, so be it, but I was going to feel how my body told me it felt, rather than a piece of plastic attached to my wrist.

BACK TO THE RACE
    I saw a XC rival a bit ahead and fixed on her. When I reached her (about 2k in), I suggested we tag onto three other runners. There were probably 10 or 12 runners who interacted in a strung out game of cat and mouse for the next few kms as we turned off at the 3k mark. To be honest, I was feeling it and was a little bit worried at how much the rest was going to hurt. I think I was letting the anticipation of the hills get to me more than the reality. Lots to be said for the psychological advantage of knowing the course.
    Talking of which, a female Slaney Olympic appeared in our extended group and I remember thinking that she had an advantage :)
    The first sharp downhill was a lovely surprise and XC lady hared off...I followed but a bit more cautiously, what goes down must go up...
    I noticed (and learned a lot from) the up and down nature of this section: it highlighted various strengths in our group and this is where the cat and mouse game was truly played out. Some athletes bombed the downhills, some were strong on the hills and others were strong on the straits. I suppose I was medium on the hills (dialled back the pace but maintained the effort), cautious on the downhills but strong on the straits. I seemed to recover quickly enough but was still struggling. XC lady was increasing the gap but I was pulling her back on the straits.

All of a sudden, we were back on the main road with 3k to go, hallelujah. After we passed the 6k mark, I knew there wasn't much (if any) uphill left so I dug in, got some grit and injected some pace with a more aggressive stride which felt good. Still hurt but if it's not hurting at this stage, sure you're not going hard enough, right :D
    I drew up to XC lady, she glanced at me, saw it was me and hared it. Oops. Plenty of time, I wasn't letting her get away but it was too early yet to go into full on battle.
    Hadn't a clue what time I was on for, I completely and resolutely ignored all garmin beeping around the course but started to put the foot on the pedal. Passed XC lady, but I knew something was up (got a text today, seems like a mild bug), ploughed on anyway, wouldn't put it past her to hang on anyway, she's a tough and strong cookie :)
    Passed a couple of men in the last mile or so, that was a real boost. One last snap shot glance at the garmin with 500 or so to go, 6:10, I'll take that and in to finish at 42:13 chip time; 10th lady overall, 3rd over 40 and scorer on the winning team so a productive day in all.

Saw my clubmates and the stable after the race and in the cake hall, good to put faces to names and catch up with the familiar ones. We did a recce for BON but we shall have to change his Quiet Man moniker to Scarlet Pimpernel. Even his clubmates doubt he exists :D
    Actually, there was a bit of a pattern in the post-race dissection. The only cheerful one was MKDTH ...hmmm wonder why? I think most of us were a little disappointed with our times so really we should have accepted the reality of the course and conditions on the day.

Was I disappointed? Yes, a teeny bit but I can suck it up. There will be other 10ks. I let this one psych me out a little bit, unnecessarily. The hills were tough enough but not unmanageable. More hill work missus :D

As a benchmark, it has given me something to work towards....
    Some revised goals (writing them here makes them real...)

For 20142015 :)
    10k: sub 40
    5mile: 30:xx
    5k: 18:5x
    3k: 10:30
    1500: 4:5x

High? Yes. But this is why I aim higher than the moon...on the way back down I might land on a star....

Thank you for reading and getting this far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice report DG - a lot more impressive times to come I suspect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Looks like you're a year late for those goals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

menoscemo wrote: »

Minor details like dates and garmins do not get in the way of the legend that is Dubgal!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great report and great running. I'm feeling sorry for XC girl... You probably scared her into submission. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Tough nut!

I glanced at the garmin to check it had started ok and luckily remembered that the silly time it was showing for pace (5:30) was only it getting a 'fix'.

THE GARMIN EXPERIMENT DIGRESSION
    After about 400m, I checked the pace (too soon?) and saw 6:xx something, can't remember but a bit faster than planned so dialled it back to 6:40. After another 300m I saw it was 6:50, more reasonable but the hill was tough enough so it felt a bit faster and harder. Yes, I checked again after a while...wasn't happy when the pace showed 7:00. This actually made me feel a bit despondent and doubts started to creep in. So I didn't look at the feckin thing again until the last KM or so.

So that was my brief history of Garmin use. Some of you may suggest giving it another chance but I don't think gps watches are for me in races. I'll use a stopwatch for sure to gauge mile/KM paces. I really didn't like the snap shots I was getting, especially when I saw a pace I didn't want to see. I felt I was being limited and the race was being dictated to me, rather than the other way round.
    +1 to this. Sometimes I think half the congestion at start lines is people trying to get a 'fix' or whatever on these things. Just run, peeps!
    Passed a couple of men in the last mile or so, that was a real boost. One last snap shot glance at the garmin with 500 or so to go, 6:10, I'll take that and in to finish at 42:13 chip time; 10th lady overall, 3rd over 40 and scorer on the winning team so a productive day in all.
    Nothing wrong with that!
    For 2014
    10k: sub 40
    5mile: 30:xx
    5k: 18:5x
    3k: 10:30
    1500: 4:5x
    and time travel ...?;)
    High? Yes. But this is why I aim higher than the moon...on the way back down I might land on a star....
    Of course you will. Probably land on Pluto or a Galaxy far far away the way you're going!
    Thank you for reading and getting this far :)
    Super report. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Excellent stuff :D Lots more to come from you :D

Well done DG. An impressive time. And of your goals I think the time travel will be the toughest one to crack. But sure give it a lash :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice report, on the Garmin you will only get an accurate reading of your pace once you settle into the race to be honest. The first half mile it doesn't give an accurate reading really and then with it being uphill it is not really representative of effort so it may be better to wait until after the first mile before you pay any attention to it.

Also there are a number of "pace" data fields you can use. Current pace is probably the worst one as it tends to jump all over the place. I use lap pace (with auto lap set to 1 mile) and also Avg Pace which gives the overall pace for the race so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Loved that report. Can't fathom how you remember so much detail!
    I think you should forgot the garmin altogether. It doesn't suit your feely racing and running nature. You would probably have run a bit faster starting out and gained a bit of time early on without paying for it later if you hadn't seen your pace at the start.

Some debut! Great goals and no reason you won't achieve them! We're only seeing the beginnings of your capabilities.
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done. Oooooohhhhhh those goal times!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Super running, congrats!
    Thanks SfM, you'll be back at it very soon yourself, fingers and toes crossed for yo
    Duanington wrote: »
    Nice report DG - a lot more impressive times to come I suspect!
    Thanks D, hope so. I'm enjoying this second crack at things.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    If I told you I'm a historian and live in the past, would that clear things up?! :D
    annapr wrote: »
    Great report and great running. I'm feeling sorry for XC girl... You probably scared her into submission. :)
    Ahaha don't think I am that scary (minus hangover anyway :D ) Thanks tho :)
    MKDTH wrote: »
    Tough nut!
    Nuts can be cracked :D
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 to this. Sometimes I think half the congestion at start lines is people trying to get a 'fix' or whatever on these things. Just run, peeps!

Nothing wrong with that!

and time travel ...

Of course you will. Probably land on Pluto or a Galaxy far far away the way you're going!

Super report. Well done again.
    Haha thanks BG. Himself would probably tell you I spend a lot of time on Planet Pluto anyway :)
    Excellent stuff Lots more to come from you :D
    Thanks CM, looking forward to this year for sure. Hopefully we'll be able to spur each other on to PBs :)
    Well done DG. An impressive time. And of your goals I think the time travel will be the toughest one to crack. But sure give it a lash :)
    Hehe if you see my DCM 2014 time change you'll know I've been successful :D Thanks :)
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Nice report, on the Garmin you will only get an accurate reading of your pace once you settle into the race to be honest. The first half mile it doesn't give an accurate reading really and then with it being uphill it is not really representative of effort so it may be better to wait until after the first mile before you pay any attention to it.

Also there are a number of "pace" data fields you can use. Current pace is probably the worst one as it tends to jump all over the place. I use lap pace (with auto lap set to 1 mile) and also Avg Pace which gives the overall pace for the race so far.
    Thanks Adrian. But you probably know that this was the disaster I wanted, gives me the perfect 'excuse' not to engage with gps in races. I'll probably get one eventually for lsrs etc. :)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Loved that report. Can't fathom how you remember so much detail!
    I think you should forgot the garmin altogether. It doesn't suit your feely racing and running nature. You would probably have run a bit faster starting out and gained a bit of time early on without paying for it later if you hadn't seen your pace at the start.

Some debut! Great goals and no reason you won't achieve them! We're only seeing the beginnings of your capabilities.
    Well done.
    Thanks A, not sure I got the detail right tho, it does seem all a bit blurry even though at the time I remember thinking 'jay sus this race is going on forever...' :( High goals I know but I'm hoping the next four weeks prep for Ballycotton top off the winter endurance training and the introduction of faster paced work after that will pay off...excited :)
    Well done. Oooooohhhhhh those goal times!
    Hahaha I know. They've been secret goals for a little while now. Originally the aim was for 2015-16 but I'll get as much done as I can this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

excellent work - very well deserved.

excellent work - very well deserved.
    Thanks AMK, nice to see a bit of pay off from the hard sessions :)

Running, log report w/beg 9 Feb (weekly mileage total for l/w: 36)

Monday 9 Feb
    Complete rest incl core

Tuesday 10 Feb
    Double day:
    Am 3.75m easy incl a stop on the way to talk to a 'water warrior' friend of mine who has been guarding the entrance to her road from Irish Water from 6-10am for the last six weeks. Now that's consistency and stamina :) (mods shall I take this to the politics café?! ;p )

PM 7.75 easy. No love to report for this run. Had to drag myself out at 8pm, got going at an easy pace and patted myself on the back but between Sunday's remnants and lack of sleep I cut a planned 10 mile easy short.
    No core etc :(
    T: 11.5m

Wednesday 11 Feb
    7.75 not feeling much love for this run either. Very unusual, haven't had two days in a row like this before. Putting it down to lack of sleep so early bed and no core tonight but will fit in 25 minutes of hip, calf and Achilles exercises. I'll call it an un scheduled 'pull back' couple of days. Come to think of it, the club captain did tell me to take an easy few days...didn't think I would HAVE to....
    T 7.75m

Thursday 12 Feb
    Double day
    7.30 am: 1.75m easy
    PM Himself in late so missed the start of the club session: 4m tempo run along the seafront. Hooked up with a small gang with about a mile and a half to go and acted as wind breaker :) Good to inject a bit of pace, even for a short bit but legs still not 100% Decided to continue the skiving so didn't do any penance for missing the session. I jogged home the slightly longer way, did 3x200m pick ups along the nice straight Boghall Rd - not feeling the love - and stopped off in a church car park to do a few short sprints in an effort to shake the legs out. Preceded these with three short drills and nearly called it a night between general stiffness and dead legs. Shook my self up and bargained an 'opt out after three' deal with myself (the conversations I have with myself...). Glad I talked myself into it cos they were short, sharp and sweet (6x50m, walk back recovery).

Had some impromptu coaching advice from a small gang of teenage girls who told me to 'go fat girl', 'pick it up there' and such like. I thanked them sincerely for their advice which took them aback hehe. That's the second time I have been heckled this week. Earlier in the week I was told to 'go on there sexy' by a crackly voiced teenaged boy...just goes to show, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D
    T: 8 miles
    Day T : 9.75m

Might do one short DS core session and kick my ass to an early night. Sleep has been poor this week which is likely contributing to the lethargy.

Writing this up has made me realise the mileage this week has been a little high for a pull back few days. Ooops.

Running, log report w/beg 9 Feb (weekly mileage total for l/w: 36)

Monday 9 Feb

Writing this up has made me realise the mileage this week has been a little high for a pull back few days. Ooops.

I was just thinking that to myself..."where's this pull back she mentioned 4 runs back". Maybe a rest or shorter recovery run tomorrow if the legs still aren't in great shape?

I was just thinking that to myself..."where's this pull back she mentioned 4 runs back". Maybe a rest or shorter recovery run tomorrow if the legs still aren't in great shape?
    Definitely Laura, max 4 miles to pick up kids...or maybe complete rest :D

Friday 13 Feb
    Rest day :) This was strange, i.e., I actually went out in clothes today.
    Ok from the look on your face, some explanation is required....I usually work from home on Fridays so between dropping the sprogs off to their respective granny and naionra, jogging back and then repeat to pick them up, I usually spend a large part of the day in my running gear. The strange part was spending the day in real clothes :D
    DS core session done, upped the reps to 20 in penance for the rest day :rolleyes:

Saturday 14 Feb
    13 mile lsr
    Gorgeous, perfect day for a run, gorgeous, perfect run and gorgeous, perfect company. That's all I have to say about that.

Not really, here's more:
    I left the house just before 10 and ran up and down the road with the 4yo, including a 'turbo boost' 30m 'sprint'. Left the house proper just after 10 and jogged three miles to the park where I met with five ladies from the club, incl Emer911. It was my turn to plan today's route and I had picked a tough enough circuit. But in my defence, the run includes fantastic views which I knew would offset the two half mile+, very steep hills early on in the run..... Emer was the only one who was familiar with the route and she very cannily stayed schtum :)

After 1.5 miles we reached the first hill (called Quarry Road and I think we know quarries are generally not flat). This one is steep, winding and has a sting in the last 200m - it gets even steeper. We re-grouped at the top and between gasps admitted that the vista stretching from Bray Head, along the coast to Dalkey and beyond was worth it. I explained the next stretch at which Emer jumped in with 'ah sure we may as well carry on to the top of Carraig Gollogan* so'.
    (*Catty in the local dialect :D )
    The rest of the group, in their blissful ignorance, assented.

Onwards for a flat enough 800m and then upwards again, this time for an even steeper 700m up a rocky trail to the old lead mines ('the Big Chimney'). We re-grouped again at the top and jogged across one of the many trails in the forestry to the base of Catty. Up a steep, rocky, zig-zag path to the top, about 300m. At the top the view was even more spectacular and I realised that Emer's 'sting in the tail' had worked an absolute treat: everyone was too busy taking in the view to think about tired, screaming muscles.

Emer lead us down the non-trail back of Catty (apparently IMRA eejits die-hards go prancing down this part like chamois, including a chamois disguised as a Clown) and back onto the forestry trail where we did another 15 minutes or so before exiting at the back car park. From here we continued around the bottom of the forestry area, down Puck's Castle Lane, through Rathmichael and back to the park. 10miles by the clock but definitely more by effort :)

Now what shall I do with those 1300 calories......

Sounds fab! Wel jel, it's a perfect day to be off road. Spend those calories wisely on prosecco (how many glasses would 1300 get you :D ??)

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Sounds fab! Wel jel, it's a perfect day to be off road. Spend those calories wisely on prosecco (how many glasses would 1300 get you :D ??)

Hmm...divide by 10*...about 130 I think :D:D:D

*refer to my first post....

Advertisement