Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hmm...divide by 10*...about 130 I think :D:D:D

*refer to my first post....

Sounds about right to me. But then I am not mathematically gifted either. Maybe throw in some cake as well, it'd be a shame not to use them all up. Enjoy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Genius BG, pure genius! :pac: :pac: :pac:

Sunday 15 February

8 miles recovery run

This was intended to be a 10k. As I collapsed sat on the sofa this morning, I mentioned to Himself that 10k would bring my weekly total up to 48 miles. To which he replied (perplexingly and annoyingly*) 'sure why don't you do eight and bring it up to 50....?'
    I felt good on this, any time I upped the pace, my legs reminded me what I did to them yesterday in a gentle sort of way but even after mile 5 I felt I was running strong (kept the effort at low).

Weekly total: 50
    (Yes, Laura I know I called this a pull back week...it was really, all except Saturday were run at easy pace and low effort and no 'quality session' either :rolleyes:)

*perplexingly because I hadn't even noticed that....
    Annoyingly because I overrode sense and did just that :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bit of a magic number, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nice week Dubgal!You're building up a nice mileage base there!

• Advertisement

That's some pull back week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »

yeah, I think that's my YEAR to date!

I'm getting worried about Djouce now, having read about the mountain trickery above... she's going to make us climb the mountain, I can feel it... :eek:

annapr wrote: »

I'm getting worried about Djouce now, having read about the mountain trickery above... she's going to make us climb the mountain, I can feel it... :eek:

Be grand. We'll time DG up to the top of Djouce while we eat all the cake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

When I told my OH last month that my monthly total was 98 the first thing he said was how much does it annoy you it's not an even 100, I bet if you'd noticed that before you'd have made it up.

Annoyingly I hadn't noticed and even more annoying he was right, it did irritate me.

beertons wrote: »
    Bit of a magic number, well done.
    Thanks beertons, it wasn't planned but hopefully it won't be the last!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Nice week Dubgal!You're building up a nice mileage base there!
    Yes, amazing what a couple of 'double days' do to the weekly total :)

Be grand. We'll time DG up to the top of Djouce while we eat all the cake :D
    Hehe BG and Anna, you've rumbled me...but did I mention I am the cake guardian ;)
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    When I told my OH last month that my monthly total was 98 the first thing he said was how much does it annoy you it's not an even 100, I bet if you'd noticed that before you'd have made it up.

Annoyingly I hadn't noticed and even more annoying he was right, it did irritate me.
    That was really unfair of him to do that! I've recently realised that there is more than a touch of OCD in every runner.... :D

• Advertisement

log report w/b 16 Feb

Mon 16

Rest

20 mins DS core...at 11pm. I had intended to do a full hour of core and general mobility and strengthening but a friend called round with some cake...
    I raised the reps to 20 in penance :D
    This is the second time I have managed 20...just...so I plan to alternate sessions of 1 set x20 reps and 2 sets x10/15 reps, depending on time, tiredness, other stuff etc.

Tue 17 Feb
    "More hills missus!"

8 mile trail run.
    Got an upgrade to the club sub-40 training group today :eek: :D
    We headed up to Ballinastoe Woods for a "hilly trail run". They weren't kidding...the first flat mile was followed by a 2k long hard ascent through forestry trail road. When we peaked (it was one of those that seemed to peak...then went on...and on...), my legs felt like rubbery, leaden jelly.
    From there we figured-of-eighted around and around the woods: what went down sure as hell went right back up. There was an option to break off at 10k or continue on for an eight miler. I had told myself early on (after that first hill actually :o see how easily I am broken) that it was the 10k only option for me today.

So imagine my surprise when I listened to myself open my mouth and say 'sure I'll carry on' and that was AFTER I had been warned that this last loop started with another 2k hill of the same caliber hill we started with...
    I need my head examined. "More hills missus" I said to meself in my Enniscorthy race report...But I didn't really mean it!! :D

The lead chap pulled up at the top of this last hill...aaah I said to myself, not long now...only to find him wave and turn the corner up the steepest gradient (it seemed) of the day :eek: Luckily it was only for 100m...and then for a beautiful downhill home. Sweet.

This was a toughie but a really satisfying one. My legs feel - even now - like I have run a race today. One of our group told us that we had passed the 10k mark in 55 minutes, and that apparently was 'good' compared to previous outings and underlined to me what a tough run it was. Overall, I was pleased with how my legs recovered on the downhills and straights, much like Enniscorthy. We're back to the same run next Tuesday and I have no doubt but that this is going to build up my endurance.

AOB
    I had a good chat with the club coach in the first mile. I had asked him about 'junk miles' in the context of my unplanned mileage last week. He said that 'junk miles' was quite a recent concept, one that he didn't agree with. According to him (Ireland's best road runner 80s-90s so I reckon he knows his wheat from his chaff), all miles contribute toward aerobic fitness but you got to be clever and always choose quality over quantity.
    He suggested that a double day of 2x four mile runs on a recovery day was less useful than just one recovery run of 6 miles or so and recommended to keep the double days for warm ups on the morning of a quality session that evening.

I have also been neglecting tempo runs but all is not lost, I can tempo-run with the same group on Thursdays and also do a long run on Sundays with them. This means missing the regular club session on a Thursday evening and saying goodbye to the usual Sunday morning crew :(

I sort of want to have my cake and eat it....

Nice hill run! Presume this is in the evening time ? Do you wear head torches ? I'd be nervous of tripping over something in the dark or falling into a hole never to be seen again :eek: Congrats on the promotion, you'll have that 10 round numbers completed in no time ! Interesting re the double days. I was thinking I'm going to have to start doing double days soon enough to get the miles in as there just isn't time in the morning to do anything more than 4 or 5 (at a push) miles.

Thanks BG, no it was this morning, before 10am so no head torch. If I was let loose out there in the evening the head torches would be needed by the rescue crew :D
    Yeah it was interesting that (I took anyway) there are no junk miles, just that some are better than others.
    Another scenario he presented was the case of a long run,( ie 10 miles plus): ex 13 miles, do 5 in the morning and eight in the evening. Not sure how that applies to you building up mileage so off to the Graduates Classroom with you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congrats on the upgrade to sub 40 group! We'll have to send you over to the ...ahem ..gentleman's round numbers table at the rate you're going!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Congrats on the upgrade to sub 40 group! We'll have to send you over to the ...ahem ..gentleman's round numbers table at the rate you're going!!
    Haha thanks. Tbh, I have sized up that table once or twice. The 5k and 10k times are the same...do we have to stick to one table?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Haha thanks. Tbh, I have sized up that table once or twice. The 5k and 10k times are the same...do we have to stick to one table?!

No you don't have to stick to one, the 10 round numbers thread is open to all, men and women. It is very satisfying being able to tick off more numbers as you improve. When I started posting here I could only hit 1 of the numbers (the 5k), and this year I hope to be able to do the first 7. I imagine you're progress will be similar!

pconn062 wrote: »
    No you don't have to stick to one, the 10 round numbers thread is open to all, men and women. It is very satisfying being able to tick off more numbers as you improve. When I started posting here I could only hit 1 of the numbers (the 5k), and this year I hope to be able to do the first 7. I imagine you're progress will be similar!
    Thanks P! So if the time fits on the original table, on it will go...

So imagine my surprise when I listened to myself open my mouth and say 'sure I'll carry on' and that was AFTER I had been warned that this last loop started with another 2k hill of the same caliber hill we started with...

you are truly a looper!!!! there's no stopping you...

what does it mean to be promoted to the sub-40? what does the 40 refer to? age? sub-40 8 mile? is this a stupid question?

what does the 40 refer to? age?

I knew it! She is a time traveller ;-)

you are truly a looper!!!! there's no stopping you...

what does it mean to be promoted to the sub-40? what does the 40 refer to? age? sub-40 8 mile? is this a stupid question?
    Haha I know, I do need my head examined :D No such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers ("do you want to carry on?" "Ah yeah sure I may as well carry on...."). It's my own personal moniker for this group, they've all gone sub 40 for 10k. They actually scared me with the stories of their long runs. One athlete is a 3:02 marathoner and on their progressive long runs over 22 miles, she grins wickedly and says 'race ye' while churning out a 6:30 last mile :eek:

• Advertisement

I knew it! She is a time traveller ;-)
    I wish...still super-40 ( :D ) and looking every day of it this week thanks to my wakeful sproglets :(

Haha I know, I do need my head examined :D No such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers ("do you want to carry on?" "Ah yeah sure I may as well carry on...."). It's my own personal moniker for this group, they've all gone sub 40 for 10k. They actually scared me with the stories of their long runs. One athlete is a 3:02 marathoner and on their progressive long runs over 22 miles, she grins wickedly and says 'race ye' while churning out a 6:30 last mile :eek:

Sounds like you will be a good fit in that group so!!!

I wish...still super-40 ( :D ) and looking every day of it this week thanks to my wakeful sproglets :(

Stop, sometimes I convince myself if only I had more sleep I'd be a supermodel ;). I can't really blame BG junior because she's a great sleeper; I'd imagine it's a different story with more than one. I've a friend with twins who hardly slept for about 4 years because as soon as she'd got one to sleep the other one would wake up :rolleyes:

Wed 18 Feb

10k recovery run to pick up kids, took the long way round. Gorgeous afternoon for it even more so because the wind was in my back :) Some remnants of yesterday in the legs, more side-bum stiffness than anything.

Thur 19 Feb

Evening club session: 4k tempo run 16:06

I cannot begin to describe how much I enjoyed this session, from start to finish everything felt good. I did the usual long-way round 3k jog to the club meeting point and even felt fresh on this. After the usual chat and explanation of the evening's session, we jogged about a mile around to the start point.

We started in a slight stagger, myself and two guys in the second group but two of us quickly moved to the front. The loop we were on is a fast one; not quite flat, just gently undulating. It was dark but it helps that I know this loop like the back of my hand - it's practically on my back door and I take it in at least three times a week.

Myself and T settled into a nice clippy pace from the start. After 1.2k or so he settled back a bit and I was on my own. Everything about this run was just right: my form felt right, my stride/cadence felt perfect and quite noticeably, my core felt strong...those DS core sessions are paying off :D

The pace started to pinch with maybe 1200 to go but I concentrated on keeping a clippy turnover, a couple of deep breaths and staying relaxed and just below the lactic flood threshold :eek:
    The last 400 was a slight uphill drag and not very well lit both of which made it seem longer but was delighted when the club captain called out 16:06 :)

We regrouped and did 3*100m gentle strides and a slow jog cool down after.

T 7 miles

Last August, I did my second (adult) interval session: 2*1k in 3:56 and 3:57 or something like that with a five minute recovery. They absolutely killed me and I remember thinking 'how am I ever going to string five of them together??!!'
    Now I just need to build towards stringing 10 of those babies together :)

Loving life, loving running...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Wed 18 Feb

10k recovery run to pick up kids, took the long way round. Gorgeous afternoon for it even more so because the wind was in my back :) Some remnants of yesterday in the legs, more side-bum stiffness than anything.

Thur 19 Feb

Evening club session: 4k tempo run 16:06

I cannot begin to describe how much I enjoyed this session, from start to finish everything felt good. I did the usual long-way round 3k jog to the club meeting point and even felt fresh on this. After the usual chat and explanation of the evening's session, we jogged about a mile around to the start point.

We started in a slight stagger, myself and two guys in the second group but two of us quickly moved to the front. The loop we were on is a fast one; not quite flat, just gently undulating. It was dark but it helps that I know this loop like the back of my hand - it's practically on my back door and I take it in at least three times a week.

Myself and T settled into a nice clippy pace from the start. After 1.2k or so he settled back a bit and I was on my own. Everything about this run was just right: my form felt right, my stride/cadence felt perfect and quite noticeably, my core felt strong...those DS core sessions are paying off :D

The pace started to pinch with maybe 1200 to go but I concentrated on keeping a clippy turnover, a couple of deep breaths and staying relaxed and just below the lactic flood threshold :eek:
    The last 400 was a slight uphill drag and not very well lit both of which made it seem longer but was delighted when the club captain called out 16:06 :)

We regrouped and did 3*100m gentle strides and a slow jog cool down after.

T 7 miles

Last August, I did my second (adult) interval session: 2*1k in 3:56 and 3:57 or something like that with a five minute recovery. They absolutely killed me and I remember thinking 'how am I ever going to string five of them together??!!'
    Now I just need to build towards stringing 10 of those babies together :)

Loving life, loving running...

That's a nice 4k tempo

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Good 4k dg, I like....

You are really flying, love your enthusiasm.

10k to pick up kids... Then what? Did you make them run home???

You are really flying, love your enthusiasm.

10k to pick up kids... Then what? Did you make them run home???
    Train em young I say! :pac: :pac: :pac:

Fri 20 Feb

10k recovery run (4k on road, 2k on Tarmac and 4k on grass)
    Could definitely feel this week's two quality runs in my legs but kept the pace and effort at easy.

Saturday 21 Feb

Scheduled rest day due to a long catch up with a friend from abroad over dinner and lots of alcohol, very little sleep :o

Sunday 22 Feb
    10.5 miles: 9 mile progression run + w/u and c/d

Club run 9:30am, jogged .75m to meeting point. What a foul morning for running!
    We started off along the motorway, past Kilmac at a comfortable pace but with a headwind and bitingly cold rain in our faces. At the turn around point, we gradually increased the pace but kept it at conversation-level so I was pleasantly surprised to hear we were hitting early 7m/m at this stage. (Of course we had the wind in our backs but also some hills as we had come off the motorway at this stage.) We finished with some friendly racing to the finish after which I jogged the .75m home.

Total for the week: 39

A drop down in mileage from last week, certainly but training this week was definitely more valuable in terms of quality (a tough hilly trail run, a fast tempo and an endurance progression run).

Back to the trail run on Tuesday and a fast tempo run on Thursday: two athletes are planning a six mile tempo at 6:30 pace :eek: and I will just sit in as far as I can go.

Some thorough core/strengthening sessions and hill sprints/form sprints should be added this week as I didn't find time for them last week, perhaps a double day on the morning of the Thursday tempo session to include 6*50m hill sprints.

There might be time for a sharpening session on Saturday and that will be the bulk of the work done for Ballycotton (my *not a target race* race...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good work this week. You're flying along and seem to be really enjoying running. What's the plan for Ballycotton? Are you making a weekend of it?

Advertisement