Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good work this week. You're flying along and seem to be really enjoying running. What's the plan for Ballycotton? Are you making a weekend of it?
    Thanks, yep really enjoying it. It helps when you see 'input' coming out the other end as 'performance improvement' :D Also looking forward to spring/summer (getting closer!) and getting my teeth into some faster stuff.
    The plan for Ballycotton is a bit vague. My PB of 78:0? Is from last August and there for the taking. According to McMillan - using the Raheny 5 result - a 70:xx is possible but an A goal is to break 70. I'd love to see 69:xx there. We'll see, there's a hill and drag from 8.5 miles but if I manage to do 6:39 or less for the six mile tempo this Thursday, 7 m/m pace should be manageable.
    And the plan is to hang around that night and watch some dancing on the tables...my club like to let their hair down apparently.... :eek: :D

W/b Mon 23 Feb 2015

Mon 23 Feb: 0 miles

Rest, running
    DS core session (20 reps) and general hip mobility and strengthening stuff.
    Definitely getting more controlled on the core 'round the world reps'. I thought I had the side plank nailed but the last couple of times I don't seem to be striking the right balance/alignment and keep collapsing. Found a couple of demos on You Tube but if anyone has any tips, please share!

Tue 24 Feb: 9.75 miles

AM: 10k hilly trail run. Same route as last week but skipped the last loop as we wanted to be fresh for the tempo on Thursday. Same pace as last week, if not quicker. Biting and strong wind in our faces on all the UPhills (it seemed anyway) except for a little gust at the end of the last one. Psychologically, this was a lot better than last week and I felt stronger too on the hills as I knew what was coming :D

PM: 5.5k/3.5m easy recovery run but start of weird gastro thing :(

Wed 25 Feb
    Rest :eek:
    This was unscheduled and really really hard to self-enforce. Meself and Himself had a really weird >24h gastro thing: him really bad cramps and nausea, myself just cramps and both no vomiting or diarrhoea. (Sorry, TMI :p ) It also leaves you feeling quite drained. So as soon as the cramps wore off early in the day, I started to schedule a 10k for the evening :rolleyes: Then I copped myself on :o

One hour core and strengthening instead (yeah yeah but I took it easy). I also threw in a couple of moves from this:

http://youtu.be/u2EGLIyDkXE

And was told by Himself (who had not been given permission to observe, let alone comment) in between snorts of laughter that I looked like I was drowning...another move and he felt compelled to tell me that I looked like a mermaid flopping on a rock....

Thur 26 Feb 14.3 miles

AM: (7:30 am actually, gold star for me) 3.3 miles easy warm up for this evening including 5x70m (counted to 'eighteen-thousand' so they may be a bit long for the purpose of this) hill sprints with walk back recovery. As usual, concentrated on quick turnover, high knee lift and strong arm drive. I think I have found another perfect gradient hill for these about a mile away from the house, so result. :)

PM: Tempo run in park on grass and tarmac'd loop

1.75m w/u plus drills; 6 miles/41:13 (yup, wtf :D ); 3.25m c/d (ouch) T 11m

Splits:
    6:42
    6:49
    6:53
    7:00
    7:00
    6:4?

This was hanging over my head a wee bit all day as I was doing it with the S-40 ladies. Their plan was pretty aggressive in prep for Bally cotton so I was going to sit in til mile 4 or even 5 if it all went ok. I wasn't sure how the gastro was going to affect me either but this morning's warm up session felt ok so there was no reason to include that..
    The first mile was mainly over grass (soft) which I found pretty hard going and we clocked in at an ouchy 6:42. I won't bore you with the mental process that went on during this session, I will just conclude by saying that my mental strength is flabby and needs work. The next mile relaxed a little and was 6:49. I decided to run on the Tarmac where possible about this stage as otherwise it would have been just too much extra hard work, it meant running a little wide which counter-balanced my feeling that I was 'cheating' a little. The next three miles were at an easier pace and by this time I had relaxed into it and felt strong in places, even an 800m stretch which undulated up-the-hill-and-into-the-wind.
    We had stayed in a group up til mile six and then it was each to their own. I have to confess, I crossed the lactic threshold 400m into the last mile but relaxed a little and crossed back over the lactic border to finish strong.

Delighted with this session :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good running, with indeed quite a lot of info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fabulous tempo run!
    You're on fire atm! What'll you aim for in Ballycotton?

nop98 wrote: »
    Good running, with indeed quite a lot of info :)
    It's all in the aid of an informal epidemiological study nop :) I am really perplexed by it and only for the MIL having it too and Himself hearing a young wan describing the exact same symptoms to her friend over the phone on the bus today, I would have put it down to our imaginations!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Fabulous tempo run!
    You're on fire atm! What'll you aim for in Ballycotton?
    Thanks Os, not really sure. It's a tough course and McMillan, he say 70:xx...but he doesn't allow for toughness. I suppose 72:00 is the B goal, 70:xx is the A goal and 69:xx is the 'I really frickin want that' goal :D (THAT will get me dancing on the tables :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

What was the target for that tempo?
    If you add done the extra .2 miles at the same pace it would have you at about 42:33..... Enniscorthy 10k = 42:13.
    Did you do the Tempo a tad too hard? Just curious:)

What was the target for that tempo?
    If you add done the extra .2 miles at the same pace it would have you at about 42:33..... Enniscorthy 10k = 42:13.
    Did you do the Tempo a tad too hard? Just curious:)
    I didn't have a target really. The other two had 6:30 pace in their schedule and I knew I was never going to hit that. Tbh, this evening I was only a hitch hiker as I am new to this group and I was going to let them drift and hopefully hang on for 6:49 pace at best. As it turned out, one of the athletes wasn't having a great session so the three of us stayed together which was to my benefit as I was able to complete the session as opposed to cutting it at four or five miles (not a cop out as I hadn't built the tempo progression into my schedule lately, concentrating on a progression in fartlek instead).Yes, it was at race pace but no, it didn't feel like that, especially from miles 3, 4 and 5. The only explanation I can come up with is that I train more than I race at the moment and I am still re-learning how to race. So really what I am saying is I feel I have a lot more to give in races once I get the feel of pacing and digging in and whip up that flabby mental strength :pac:

Fri 27 February

Urgh.
    3.5 mile rec run. Yesterday's remnants + head cold hit = urgh.

Sat 28 February
    Felt like sh&te around the house but no temp. Cold definitely in the head but borderline neck progress. Legs like lead.

Planned 13-14m lsr
    Actual 4.75m

Bailed: early on - by mile one - I knew all was not well. I spent a mile re figuring possible alternative routes/bail out points. By mile 2.5 the ol legs felt like two pillars of sodden sheep's wool so I turned off onto the shortest route home and settled for doing a few strides to shake the legs out. Did 8x80m sprints in an abandoned car park with continuous slow jog back to start. Felt good on these but the jog home did nothing to change my mind that I'd done the right thing by bailing.
    My own advice - again - came back to haunt me "listen to your body, be kind to yourself" :rolleyes: so I did...
    Mixed feelings about this, there was no way I was going to haul my ass around for two hours, dragging two bales of sheep's wool behind me. On the other hand, this will be my last chance at a lsr before Ballycotton (the last decent lsr was two weeks ago I think). However, reading TbL's log today was particularly apt. The advice to him was that solid marathon training isn't broken on the back of one week of off-plan work and I have to translate that in my context to Ballycotton (my *not a target race* race :rolleyes: ) will not be broken in the absence of one lsr....it won't, will it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ballycotton (my *not a target race* race :rolleyes: ) will not be broken in the absence of one lsr....it won't, will it?!

Of course not! If anything bailing at the right time and listening to your own good advice will probably have a more positive impact on your NotATargetRace goal time. You've done the training, nothing more to be gained by pushing it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

^^Nah
    ..too much good work done here to be undone by one bad day. Look after yourself until you are sure you have shaken the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think anything you do this weekend would make a blind bit of difference to your fitness next weekend, takes around 10-14 days to realise the benefits of runs anyway.

Much better off taking it easy and arriving at the line nice and refreshed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

No it won't Dubgal, but it took me a night of demented sleep jogging and a boot up the hole reminder from Ecoli that fitness doesn't magically disappear overnight to be a bit more sanguine about it (a bit :))

You've banked some great sessions.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You made the right decision, hope you'll be ok for tomorrow...

Thanks everyone, goes to show...I'm great at preaching, not so good at practising :D I know ye are all right, I just got into a minor flap that this lsr was to be the icing on the cake (it isn't) and every bit of advice, sense and encouragement above is very much appreciated. Thanks again :)
    (Annapr I'll be grand for tomorrow, it was just not going to be pretty for 13-14 miles...)

Sunday 1 March

Boardsies on tour #1 Djouce trail run: Earls Drive route 5 (yes, 5) miles

On a wet and cold Sunday morning an intrepid group of boardsies (Adrian, Aquinn, annapr, Bungy Girl, Inigo, Murph_D and yours truly) set off on our inaugural trail run around the woods at the base of Djouce (just prepping you guys for our future ascent ;) ).
    The first mile was downhill and what goes down, must go up but first you have to cross a bridgeless raging torrent....not really but it was raging as much as a stream can rage and there was no bridge, just a few slippy and wobbly oversized twigs strewn across.
    We made it across and braved our way through yeti land the uphill switchbacks. '10 of them' BG said, can't lose count or the yetis will get us but we ahem did. Nevertheless, the yetis were disappointed today as we made it out to the lake and stopped for a photo op at the far side led by BG whose XC surefootedness was on display today. Aquinn even embraced the mud and I am sure I caught her taking an extra unnecessary splash on at least one occasion ;)

A few spectacular views across the misty valley later and we approached the home straight, wet, cold and damn feckin pleased with ourselves. A quick scoff of delicious lemon drizzle and chocolate cakes and I had to bail as I could feel the chills setting in. Straight into a hot shower and would you believe I fell asleep (after a mug of coffee!) with my head on the kitchen table :eek:

Total for week 37 miles: 5 days (incl 2xdoubles - one recovery and one warm up)

Ps lots of runners had clearly read 'The acknowledging thread' as we were very enthusiastically greeted by everyone :D

Great report Dubgal! Captured the morning perfectly. And thanks for those flapjacks, totally nom :)

Welcome BG, but don't forget 'twas thanks to you we went the right way :D Glad they went down well!

How are you feeling today Dubgal ? Hope the impromptu nap on the kitchen table did the trick and you're on the mend!

Aw thanks BG! It's moving down into my chest :( but funnily enough don't feel too bad, just zero energy. Didn't even feel like any of the nice bottle of Rioja I opened in the evening either! :confused: I'll be grand :)

Didn't even feel like any of the nice bottle of Rioja I opened in the evening either!

Sounds like an emergency to me :D ! Rest up and feel better soon. I'm sure you don't need reminding that all that training is in the bank for your (not a target) race so mind yourself and get to the start line ready to give it some welly.

• Advertisement

oh no, hope you feel better and it clears quickly... i'm sure the soaking yesterday didn't help...

annapr wrote: »
    oh no, hope you feel better and it clears quickly... i'm sure the soaking yesterday didn't help...
    Thanks Annapr, I think I got home and into the shower in the nick of time but my body is doing some hard work and it ain't running. It'll be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ps lots of runners had clearly read 'The acknowledging thread' as we were very enthusiastically greeted by everyone :D

Mountain runners don't need to read the thread to know that they should greet each other...nor walkers or cyclists.

w/b Mon 2 March 2015

Mon 2 March

3.75m (usually a rest day buu-u-t...):

An afternoon session of general hip strengthening and mobility (Incl Myrtl) followed by DS core was incomplete as the 2yo woke up and rescued interrupted the session. This left me itchy-footed soooo...

The monkey on my back got the better of me :o and I decided to jog to a meeting I was attending that evening (why walk when you can jog, right?). Except the jog to the meeting wasn't long enough to decide if my legs and breathing would be ok for tomorrow's session so.....
    I jogged home the long way. But I definitely had a pep in my step, a huge improvement on the weekend.
    Finished off the DS core session while watching the latest Walking Dead episode on the laptop (this meant I had to hoooold that position if I wanted to get any sort of continuity :D )

Tuesday 3 March

7 miles: sharpening session before Ballycotton, 4x3 mins, 2 min walk/jog recovery.

So my body lied to me last night. Or maybe it was rebelling at the early start (ready to go at 9:15). I left the house at 8:45 to jog three miles to the park where I was meeting two club mates. Legs not very happy but I got a few drills in before the start ('wake up, damn you legs').
    I didn't settle in til the second rep but legs felt okish. Breathing was crap (pace? Cold wind? Cold...definitely :( more of that in a mo)
    Managed to stay with the other two for all four reps, no pace on these but going by estimated distance, I'd say they were all in and around 6-6:05 pace.

That damn monkey tried to persuade me that I really needed a recovery jog in the evening but sense got the better of me. Had to go to another meeting and it was bitter bitter bitter so glad I didn't expose my lungs to that. However, the damage may have been done on Tuesday anyway, definitely got a nice chesty, raspy, cheese grater thing going on in the chest cavity. Nothing on the internet is telling me that it's ok to exercise with a below-neck congestion. Anybody??? So Ballycotton is looking like a no-go.

I'll have a chat with the club captain tomorrow night and see what he says. In the meantime I am going to take a complete rest (help, even typing that is bringing me out in a cold sweat and no, I don't have a temperature). Actually running with a scarf would stop cold air entering my lungs...joking...not really...

Wednesday 4 March

Nothing....?

Tuesday 3 March
    That damn monkey tried to persuade me that I really needed a recovery jog in the evening but sense got the better of me. Had to go to another meeting and it was bitter bitter bitter so glad I didn't expose my lungs to that. However, the damage may have been done on Tuesday anyway, definitely got a nice chesty, raspy, cheese grater thing going on in the chest cavity. Nothing on the internet is telling me that it's ok to exercise with a below-neck congestion. Anybody??? So Ballycotton is looking like a no-go.

I'll have a chat with the club captain tomorrow night and see what he says. In the meantime I am going to take a complete rest (help, even typing that is bringing me out in a cold sweat and no, I don't have a temperature). Actually running with a scarf would stop cold air entering my lungs...joking...not really...

Assuming the club captain doesn't double as the monkey, listen to him and gag that monkey.
    Wednesday 4 March

Nothing....?

Nothing.

Hehe BG. Ok, nothing. :D

Hehe BG. Ok, nothing. :D

I know it's tough. I get very twitchy too when I can't run but you know it makes sense.....(don't you ;) ?)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I know it's tough. I get very twitchy too when I can't run but you know it makes sense.....(don't you ;) ?)
    I do, I do but that monkey is still jabbering :pac: Tbh, I feel a bit sheepish cos I strongly suspect Tuesday's session - gulping in big quantities of cold air - brought this on. I am going to sit tight and not run ( there I said it) until it clears off my chest. What is that *they* say?

"A rest in time saves nine" :D:D

Thanks for anchoring my wavering sense BG!

"Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town"

:D

• Advertisement

It's moving down into my chest

followed by....
    Mon 2 March

3.75m (usually a rest day buu-u-t...):

Never mind Tuesday's session, you should have been resting on Monday!! Really sorry to hear Ballycotton might not be on (don't quite trust you on that yet), but Bungy is the voice of reason here! Don't mess with a chesty cough, it's not worth it. REST, REST, REST!!!!

(P.S. I feel sorry for your hubby with 2 toddlers and a non-running Dubgal in the house... :D)

Advertisement