Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ososlo wrote: »
    Can 'non-running friend' not be babysitter while you run?
    Good to see you back at it!
    I could give it a try but not sure who would be more traumatised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    So happy to be back :)

Welcome back. Good on ya for being so sensible (although I don't think anyone was giving you much choice!). Sounds like a good plan for the week.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Welcome back. Good on ya for being so sensible (although I don't think anyone was giving you much choice!). Sounds like a good plan for the week.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Can 'non-running friend' not be babysitter while you run?
    Good to see you back at it!
    Thanks ladies (and yup, we all know I had no choice ;) )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, you showed more restraint than I would have did.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done, you showed more restraint than I would have did.
    Too many tasty races coming up next month to miss! Plus the regular corner here kept me in my place :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi Helen, yes I was sensible in the end (actually I had sensibility thrust on me, it wasn't that willing to begin with). I would have found you "hi, you're female and wearing a RS vest...are you HelenAnne from boards?" :) Looks like you had a great run on a windy day, well done! I think I'm better now, thanks. And yes, the races are starting to come in thick and fast from April so no doubt we'll come across each other. I hope you can make the May trail run in Howth? I might not run it (in between two races four days apart), but I'll definitely be there setting up a tea and cake stall :D

Welcome back! Glad you're better. I had that chest infection in December and I was out of action for anything for nine days, never mind running! It's hard to shift!

Yes, Ballycotton went great for me this year, I really enjoyed it. I was amazed to get a new pb, because I didn't have a single one in 2014 so it felt great to improve a bit again. The wind wasn't bad at all, and after my weekly Howth summit runs, the hills were fine too. I really love the route and the atmosphere so was delighted to be able to run it (was signed up last year but missed it due to injury).

Actually, all I would have had to say to make myself recognisable would have been, 'I have brown hair' - there were five of us in RS tops but the others were blondes or redheads.

I won't make the April Howth run, but if there is one in May I would love to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Yaay, delighted you are back in action, tumbleweed was starting to blow through this log... and still being so sensible!! ?!

...sure the Howth trail run would be a very easy recovery run for you...

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Welcome back! Glad you're better. I had that chest infection in December and I was out of action for anything for nine days, never mind running! It's hard to shift!

Yes, Ballycotton went great for me this year, I really enjoyed it. I was amazed to get a new pb, because I didn't have a single one in 2014 so it felt great to improve a bit again. The wind wasn't bad at all, and after my weekly Howth summit runs, the hills were fine too. I really love the route and the atmosphere so was delighted to be able to run it (was signed up last year but missed it due to injury).

Actually, all I would have had to say to make myself recognisable would have been, 'I have brown hair' - there were five of us in RS tops but the others were blondes or redheads.

I won't make the April Howth run, but if there is one in May I would love to do it!

HelenAnne, did I miss your Ballycotton report somewhere in the flurry? Congrats on the PB, good for you!

annapr wrote: »
    HelenAnne, did I miss your Ballycotton report somewhere in the flurry? Congrats on the PB, good for you!
    Yes, hadn't realised it was a PB so huge congratulations! Sorry, the Howth run is in April, I think you knew that :) so hopefully see you May. Hills pay off, don't they? I remember reading on Claralara's log - I think it was her Boston marathon report - when she was hitting a tough spot, she reminded herself 'that she eats hills'. Pretty sure she came home first Irishwoman that day too! Let's all eat hills :pac:

Yes, hadn't realised it was a PB so huge congratulations! Sorry, the Howth run is in April, I think you knew that :) so hopefully see you May. Hills pay off, don't they? I remember reading on Claralara's log - I think it was her Boston marathon report - when she was hitting a tough spot, she reminded herself 'that she eats hills'. Pretty sure she came home first Irishwoman that day too! Let's all eat hills :pac:

Hi Dubgal & Annapr,

I didn't write a report (I am terrible, I never write race reports and don't have a log, but fear not, I do actually record them in my little running diary. I'm more of a pen & paper logger!) - maybe I will write one now though! Don't know how people know how I did, maybe because I mentioned Ballycotton in reply to someone on the rant thread (:)) or was someone updating how all boardsies did on a log / thread? If so I must have a look at that -- I'd love to know how everyone did.

Yes, a new pb for me (72.45, which I know is not super speedy -- Maria McCambridge looked like she'd had time to change, shower, wash her hair, get dressed etc when I saw her cheering me down the final straight :)) but it was a PB by 8 secs, and more importantly my first PB since Aug 2013.

What's your next race, Dubgal & Anna? Are you doing the MSB 5k? What sort of distances are you concentrating on for the next while? I seem to have shorter races lined up for a while, a 5k, 2 10ks, then I'll be away in May and will have to try to keep up training for the Mini Marathon, and then after that I think I'll do the race series.

Best of luck with whatever's coming up next.

• Advertisement

Hi Dubgal & Annapr,

I didn't write a report (I am terrible, I never write race reports and don't have a log, but fear not, I do actually record them in my little running diary. I'm more of a pen & paper logger!) - maybe I will write one now though! Don't know how people know how I did, maybe because I mentioned Ballycotton in reply to someone on the rant thread (:)) or was someone updating how all boardsies did on a log / thread? If so I must have a look at that -- I'd love to know how everyone did.

Yes, a new pb for me (72.45, which I know is not super speedy -- Maria McCambridge looked like she'd had time to change, shower, wash her hair, get dressed etc when I saw her cheering me down the final straight :)) but it was a PB by 8 secs, and more importantly my first PB since Aug 2013.

What's your next race, Dubgal & Anna? Are you doing the MSB 5k? What sort of distances are you concentrating on for the next while? I seem to have shorter races lined up for a while, a 5k, 2 10ks, then I'll be away in May and will have to try to keep up training for the Mini Marathon, and then after that I think I'll do the race series.

72.45 sounds super speedy to me... you would have finished your first pint before I arrived :) whereas DG would probably be already half cut... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I haven't read all of claralaras log yet but it's a great one, really interesting. Congrats HelenAnne on Sunday - nice to get the PB after such a while - am I right in thinking you had bad luck with injuries throughout last year? Must be a good feeling to be back at it consistently!

Hi Dubgal & Annapr,

I'd love to see a log of yours here HelenAnne! Must have been such a boost having Maria McC cheering you on. I'm with annapr, 72.45 is speedy, no two ways about it so no talking it down!I know Anna has a 10k this weekend don't you? I've nothing lined up till April...and then there are a lot, mostly shorter (yay) and one 10 miler. I think I'll do the Wmm too. Anywhere nice in May?
    annapr wrote: »
    72.45 sounds super speedy to me... you would have finished your first pint before I arrived :) whereas DG would probably be already half cut... :D
    I'm going to take that as an aspersion on my drinking ability/capacity :(;)

Phew, back in my own front room :D*

Wednesday 11 March
    4.75m

'School' run pick up: 4.75m easy incl 4x100m strides with 100m cont. jog rec.
    Legs felt ok, gorgeous afternoon to run, especially after the wet morning. Breathing a bit heavy and throat a bit 'tight'. Going to monitor this over the next two days, easy running only.

*now to catch up on my bazillion logs backlog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'd love to see a log of yours here HelenAnne!

+ 1! Do it! Would love to read all about your training and racing.

It would be really boring! I can tell you now what it would say every week - 'Wednesday - Pilates - struggled with push ups, Thursday - did a hill run, Saturday - raced, Sunday - LSR. Other days - just went for a run' :) I am terrible for not doing any structured / interesting sessions. If I'm not doing a parkrun, I might do a speed session, but generally I just do mid-paced runs and chat with people.

Also, going by last year, it would say 'right (insert leg part here) very tight' in an ominous way :) hopefully there won't be any more of that this year.

But I love reading other people's logs and getting ideas from them, and I WILL get round to writing a Ballycotton report before I forget how it went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anywhere nice in May?

Leinster Masters Track and Field is last Sunday in May - 800, 1500, 3000m...

RayCun wrote: »
    Leinster Masters Track and Field is last Sunday in May - 800, 1500, 3000m...
    Thanks Ray...choices choices.... :) Is there a schedule yet for heats etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks Ray...choices choices.... :) Is there a schedule yet for heats etc?

I don't think there are heats. From last years results, there seem to be combined finals, all the 1500m women from U23 to O55 ran together, 1500m was U23 and senior together, all the masters in the next race. My guess is they decide the number of races on the day depending on how many enter.

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think there are heats. From last years results, there seem to be combined finals, all the 1500m women from U23 to O55 ran together, 1500m was U23 and senior together, all the masters in the next race. My guess is they decide the number of races on the day depending on how many enter.

Interesting ;) Thanks!

• Advertisement

Mon 9. March
    Running rest
    Full core

Tue 10 March 4
    Easy 4 miles

Wed 11 March
    Incl 4x100m strides, ok, breathing not great

Thur 12 March 6.25
    Club session, relaxed: 6k loop incl gentle surges of 1 and 2 minutes, 1.25 jog after.
    5 + 1.25 6.25T

Fri 13 March 2.5
    Disaster! As it was a gorgeous afternoon, I planned an easy peasy slow one hour jog the long way round to pick up the kids. I knew straight away I needed to take the direct route with the option of a few laps in the park three miles in but...you know when you welcome the chance to stop at traffic lights, that all is not well. Legs were like lead. 2.5 miles in, I bailed and started to walk. It wasn't pretty. After a mile of that, I had - I can only describe it as - 'a funny turn', disorientation which morphed into a hypo-tremble. Luckily this happened at a fruit and veg shop so two bananas and a handful of dried figs later, all was well...well, better anyway. I had a chat with one of the club mates (a nurse) this morning and she said that erratic blood sugar is quite common at certain times of the month ('tick') as well as nausea ('tick') so I'll chalk it down to that for now.

Sat 14 March
    10 miles
    (3 miles there and 7 in the park, ca 9m/m pace)
    This was to be a tester run: a gentle one hour in the park with about 10 clubmates. All good, yay.

I am at a record high of a 43 log backlog to read. This tells me a) there are not enough hours in the day and b) I may be following too many logs....:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I get that on runs too sometimes (low blood sugar I guess) usually passes after a few mins though. Sometimes caused in my case by eating carbs with simple sugars too close to the run. Sometimes not though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I get that on runs too sometimes (low blood sugar I guess) usually passes after a few mins though. Sometimes caused in my case by eating carbs with simple sugars too close to the run. Sometimes not though.

Thanks Adrian, she suggested keeping a record (another one!)...so this can count as the record. For the record: I had a pitta with cheese 2.5 or three hours before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks Adrian, she suggested keeping a record (another one!)...so this can count as the record. For the record: I had a pitta with cheese 2.5 or three hours before :)
    I think the nurse was spot on, happens to me too, definitely worth monitoring so you can schedule your runs accordingly:)

Firedance wrote: »
    I think the nurse was spot on, happens to me too, definitely worth monitoring so you can schedule your runs accordingly:)
    Thanks Firedance, definitely something to map :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Fri 13 March 2.5
    After a mile of that, I had - I can only describe it as - 'a funny turn', disorientation which morphed into a hypo-tremble. Luckily this happened at a fruit and veg shop so two bananas and a handful of dried figs later, all was well...well, better anyway. I had a chat with one of the club mates (a nurse) this morning and she said that erratic blood sugar is quite common at certain times of the month ('tick') as well as nausea ('tick') so I'll chalk it down to that for now.

I get similar symptoms a few times a year, which normally occur late in the evening time. I normally tend to just eat chocolate and feel better after 10 mins or so which sounds very like Diabetes but apparently not as as I've had my blood sugar tested a few times! Maybe Its lady problems like yourself then? ;)

MKDTH wrote: »
    I get similar symptoms a few times a year, which normally occur late in the evening time. I normally tend to just eat chocolate and feel better after 10 mins or so which sounds very like Diabetes but apparently not as as I've had my blood sugar tested a few times! Maybe Its lady problems like yourself then? ;)

Yup, sounds like there's something you and Adrian need to tell us all ;) You two next up in the spotlight? :pac: :pac:
    (Get those entries in for the WMM...)

I read an article on this before but can't find it now. Essentially it was a study of soccer players and how what they had at half time affected performance.

The upshot is that exercise causes an insulin spike. Taking something with a lot of sugar immediately beforehand also causes an insulin spike and when you get both together you can get a bit of a "bonk" from low blood sugar.

Here's that article (Sorry for hijaking your log A),

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/halftime-fueling-problems

• Advertisement

Interesting. Don't underestimate the impact of having been recently sick too. Glad you're back in action... I missed all your mad mountain climbing sessions :)

Advertisement