Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

adrian522 wrote: »
    Here's that article (Sorry for hijaking your log A),

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/halftime-fueling-problems
    No prob at all Adrian and thanks for digging it out, interesting stuff.
    annapr wrote: »
    Interesting. Don't underestimate the impact of having been recently sick too. Glad you're back in action... I missed all your mad mountain climbing sessions :)
    Yeah, I was factoring that in in he back of my mind Anna. Easy runs still for a few days. Talking of mountain sessions, hope you're putting your feet up after your PB race and before your six hour hike tomorrow?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Yup, sounds like there's something you and Adrian need to tell us all ;) You two next up in the spotlight? :pac: :pac:
    (Get those entries in for the WMM...)

Haha DG,

I had a good laugh at the two lads doing their supportive best with their empathetic monthly pains equivalent :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Haha DG,

I had a good laugh at the two lads doing their supportive best with their empathetic monthly pains equivalent :)

TbL

They're modern men, TBL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    It would be really boring! I can tell you now what it would say every week - 'Wednesday - Pilates - struggled with push ups, Thursday - did a hill run, Saturday - raced, Sunday - LSR. Other days - just went for a run' :) I am terrible for not doing any structured / interesting sessions. If I'm not doing a parkrun, I might do a speed session, but generally I just do mid-paced runs and chat with people.

Also, going by last year, it would say 'right (insert leg part here) very tight' in an ominous way :) hopefully there won't be any more of that this year.

But I love reading other people's logs and getting ideas from them, and I WILL get round to writing a Ballycotton report before I forget how it went.

Well done today Helen!! Great time and almost on the big 10 thread.
    You really should have your own log so we wouldn't have to hijack DG's ;)

menoscemo wrote: »

Not a prob meno, open house here :)

• Advertisement

Haha DG,

TbL

I know, bless em :D better keep an eye out for pmt now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

menoscemo wrote: »

Thank you re yesterday; I was delighted & surprised! And sorry for the hijack, Dubgal!

I will never have a log. It would genuinely be boring. Also, I find I'm much more inclined to leaf back through pages in a notebook to see what I was up to last year etc than I would be to scroll back through an online log. Does anyone else find that?

And I never wrote that Ballycotton report in the end! I just can't do race reports - the miles all blur together into people shouting encouragement and the knee socks of the person I front of me etc. I was going to do one for the 5k, but all I could remember was people's singlets or whatever as I trailed them / tried to pass them. I just don't have a mind that puts it into mile order afterwards.

I love reading other people's though, so keep posting, Dubgal et al!

(PS I have a feeling those 15 seconds are going to be hard to knock off to get on the table).

Hijack over!

Dubgal, hope you're back & fighting fit in time for all your April races!

Lw T: 28 miles (4.5 days running, no doubles)

Monday 16 March
    10k incl 4m tempo

This felt great :) Friend over from London/two late nights/lots of wine drinking meant I hadn't been out since Saturday. I grabbed the chance to nip out after the kids had gone to bed and modified the planned 10 miles to 10k in the interest of dinner at 9 instead of 10.... :eek:
    I knew from the get go that my legs felt good so decided to take advantage and threw in a few miles at tempo/upper steady state pace. All is well with the world once again :D
    Hopefully get my racing schedule nailed down for the next few months this week. I. Can't. Wait.

Ps dinner was at 9.30 but was worth the wait ;)

Tue 17 March
    11.25 miles lshr (took in a couple of steep hills of about 1.2k) 93 mins
    Felt grand on this, even with a little bit of last night's run reminding me to take it easy :)

Wed 18 March
    2.5 miles recovery run
    (not even a nursing home special!)
    Nothing much to say about this, time and the remnants of the last two days said 'this is all you can have today missus'.

Thur 19 March
    Club session 2x2k, 1x800m off 3 min rec

First session of the year back in the park...we are very happy club runners.
    3 mile, gentle pace warm up to the park followed by .5 mile with the club group.

Club captain told us the good news: 1x2k at 10k pace followed by 2x1k.
    The 2k went well, working but not too much. We were joined by a new member tonight, 'P' who seemed to know what to do and was handy enough. I resisted the urge to 'race' him over the last 150m and came in feeling relaxed enough, but knowing I had worked, in 7:59.

So then the CC broke the bad news...our group's session had changed to another 2k :eek: to be followed by a 1k. It wasn't til after the session that I realised I had been tricked into a *shuddery* 'blind session'. I wondered if there was enough in the tank for another 2k but felt relaxed enough for the first 400m at what seemed like the same pace. It was then that I got to see new guy's efficient running stride and tidy kick back as he powered ahead :) I was working a fair bit harder on this and my breathing wasn't great (effort more than congestion) but was pleased to hear 7:51 called out for this rep. I had jogged and walked on the previous rep rec however this was mostly walking around and shaking the legs out :o

CC then very kindly told us that due to twilight descending quickly, the last rep would be cut to 'just' 800m but that 'we could push this one out a little', haha because we had only been jogging the last two :rolleyes:
    So we did and this one was a definite positive split (as discussed on the middle distance thread a few days ago). Three of us hit a snappy cadence to start with but not balls out. Still, started to pinch at 300m so kept the focus on staying relaxed and mindfully acknowledging the pain areas. It hurt of course but 800m can be surprisingly short after 2x2ks :D and was delighted to hear CC call out 2:51 (I actually repeated it to him"2:51??!"...I had expected 3:00 or thereabouts) so I am a little bit delighted with this session :)
    .75m cool down and some stretching ;)

7.5m T

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

2:51 ! After 2 x 2k ! Can you put it on the table or would you need an affidavit from CC ?

You're flying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    2:51 ! After 2 x 2k ! Can you put it on the table or would you need an affidavit from CC ?

You're flying.

Plus one! That's great going DG!
    Don't see why that can't be put on the table???

... A little bit delighted?! Seems like an understatement (for once)!

I loved your mindfully minding the pain :D.

Great session...

Bungy Girl wrote: »

You're flying.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Plus one! That's great going DG!
    Don't see why that can't be put on the table???
    ... A little bit delighted?! Seems like an understatement (for once)!

I loved your mindfully minding the pain :D.

Great session...

Thanks ladies. Hehe I'm tempted but 1) just called the pa and he reckons it could be a couple of metres short which leads me to 2) I nearly prefer to hold out for a one-off time trial or race situation.
    And the pain-minding? Needs work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've been trying that mindful pain thing too. It's all tunguska's fault, but it seems to help.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I've been trying that mindful pain thing too. It's all tunguska's fault, but it seems to help.

It does! I joked about it there, but it definitely does something and with practice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

It does! I joked about it there, but it definitely does something and with practice...

how does it help Dubgal? is it about being aware of any pain while you're running but do you need to do something with that awareness then or just acknowledge it?

Firedance wrote: »
    how does it help Dubgal? is it about being aware of any pain while you're running but do you need to do something with that awareness then or just acknowledge it?

Ah tricky enough question but yes, something like that. I haven't gone into a deep focus on the whole experience...yet. Last night it was mostly 'ok where's hurting?'...'thighs'...'where exactly?'...narrows it down...'where else'....'ok lungs too'....'ok that's not too bad, at least it's not every frickin limb now get on with it' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Ah tricky enough question but yes, something like that. I haven't gone into a deep focus on the whole experience...yet. Last night it was mostly 'ok where's hurting?'...'thighs'...'where exactly?'...narrows it down...'where else'....'ok lungs too'....'ok that's not too bad, at least it's not every frickin limb now get on with it' :D

Normally I don't really like 'uplifting' mantras, but when I started running, I read one somewhere -- 'pain is inevitable, suffering isn't'. I think that works for me a bit like your mindfulness above -- it helps me to acknowledge that I'm in pain (I mean the really pushing in training or a race kind, not the injury kind), but then let it go and not 'suffer' from it, if you know what I mean? Sort of an 'I WANT to do this, even though it hurts, so I'm not suffering' feeling?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Normally I don't really like 'uplifting' mantras, but when I started running, I read one somewhere -- 'pain is inevitable, suffering isn't'. I think that works for me a bit like your mindfulness above -- it helps me to acknowledge that I'm in pain (I mean the really pushing in training or a race kind, not the injury kind), but then let it go and not 'suffer' from it, if you know what I mean? Sort of an 'I WANT to do this, even though it hurts, so I'm not suffering' feeling?

Thanks Helen. Yes, definitely that in there too! Kinda tricky articulating self-inflicted pain isn't it? I know when I identified the main source of pain in my thighs last night there was definitely a 'spur' straight afterwards which I can only imagine was directly related to 'there it is, now let it go'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Women's problems and masochism - this log has it all really :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

For me the acknowledgement of the pain is also an acknowledgement of the absence of pain elsewhere. Instead of a generalised feeling of "This feels bad, I'm bailing out" it's more "This hurts, but only here and here". Helps to put the focus on what's not hurting. That's the theory anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

This is something I've been interested in since I started running and there's loads of studies out there. It's one of the reasons why I didn't run with a watch first and am trying to kick it now.

Associative thinking is about monitoring and getting a feel for pace and effort. Getting in tune with your body and where you stand physiologically, are you going too fast, is the effort too high and how relaxed are you feeling. It's about recognising the emotion you're feeling. A lot of elites will do this naturally because of there personality type, the vast majority of elite distance runners are introverted which makes focusing inwardly natural to them. Not saying extroverted runners can't do the same thing, there's introversion and extroversion in everyone but one will be dominant. Like with everything, the mind can be trained.

Associative thinking is when the mind is focused on all those internal sensations, not just pain to get a feel for a certain pace and finding out if you're on the limit during hard efforts, a feel for your body and mind. It's about focusing completely on the task at hand and nothing outside, being in the zone.

Being introverted, I naturally lean towards that thought pattern which helps during intense efforts but it hurts me during easy and long run. You can't be that intense everyday you run, it's a recipe for burnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Where is the original post on this from Tungaska?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Where is the original post on this from Tungaska?

Here's a cut and paste from his spotlight week:

"Self awareness. Thats all it comes down to. The more aware you are of yourself and your body, the more you can control how you respond to pain. I noticed it in myself, that if I did give in I'd be scratching my head after wondering what the hell happened, why did I give up like that, when I knew I had more in me. So I just worked on myself in terms of increasing my awareness in the moment, paying attention to the pain, actually sinking right into it when it happens, not allowing panic to overcome me. And thats the key I think, to recognize when youre panicking and calming yourself down when its happening, not allowing it to overwhelm you. The best way Ive found to do that is to focus on your body and identify where the pain is concentrated. I know it feels at first like its a generalized pain but its not, trust me its concentrated in one place and if you can tune into your body to the point where you can identify the pains location then you can deal with it and you wont panic and it wont overwhelm you and ruin your race.
    I think the treadmill is a really great tool for practicing pain training, because you can control a lot of variables and just focus on pushing yourself into that zone where its very painful and uncomfortable and you can hold yourself in that state for however long you can, and then maybe next time try to hold yourself in that zone a little longer, all the while tuning into your body and breathing and being aware of where the pain is located and not allowing it to panic you into quitting.
    Self talk is massively important too. I know people who get nervous before races and its entirely self created. A race is a neutral event, theres nothing in it thats inherently anxiety provoking. Its only how you perceive it that causes the problems. You can chose to see a race as something exciting and to be looked forward to and relish or you can wind yourself up with fear and negative thinking to the point where racing becomes this traumatic event. Thats why its really important to tune into what youre self talk, because when you do that you control how you perceive anything and if you can do that then you'll get the best out of yourself."

This is something I've been interested in since I started running and there's loads of studies out there. It's one of the reasons why I didn't run with a watch first and am trying to kick it now.

Associative thinking is about monitoring and getting a feel for pace and effort. Getting in tune with your body and where you stand physiologically, are you going too fast, is the effort too high and how relaxed are you feeling. It's about recognising the emotion you're feeling. A lot of elites will do this naturally because of there personality type, the vast majority of elite distance runners are introverted which makes focusing inwardly natural to them. Not saying extroverted runners can't do the same thing, there's introversion and extroversion in everyone but one will be dominant. Like with everything, the mind can be trained.

Associative thinking is when the mind is focused on all those internal sensations, not just pain to get a feel for a certain pace and finding out if you're on the limit during hard efforts, a feel for your body and mind. It's about focusing completely on the task at hand and nothing outside, being in the zone.

Being introverted, I naturally lean towards that thought pattern which helps during intense efforts but it hurts me during easy and long run. You can't be that intense everyday you run, it's a recipe for burnout.

Very interesting discussion. When I first started running I used podcasts/music to distract me from the fact that I was actually running and finding it hard. As I got more comfortable, I use headphones less and less. At the same time, I still find distraction a useful tool... E.g., looking at the sea vs. thinking about how bloody tired I am when there's still x km to go. Especially on long runs, part of the joy of running is escapism... Not thinking about what you're doing.

Negative self talk is what gets me... And always at similar stages, about halfway into any distance... Being more aware of that and actively managing it has really helped.

Then again I'm not going fast enough to feel a lot of physical pain :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Must try this...how do you distinguish between pain from pushing yourself to your max & pain that will result in injury. If I feel pain for eg in one hamstring ill ease off, I see a lot of of that in logs too, 'felt a twinge in x so eased off pace' heavy legs is another common one. Really interesting topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Missed Tunguska's post first time round - reckon he'd have a great future as a birth coach if he wanted :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Very interesting discussion. When I first started running I used podcasts/music to distract me from the fact that I was actually running and finding it hard. As I got more comfortable, I use headphones less and less. At the same time, I still find distraction a useful tool... E.g., looking at the sea vs. thinking about how bloody tired I am when there's still x km to go. Especially on long runs, part of the joy of running is escapism... Not thinking about what you're doing.

Negative self talk is what gets me... And always at similar stages, about halfway into any distance... Being more aware of that and actively managing it has really helped.

Pretty much every study I've read puts distraction as the best method for easy and low perceived effort levels and internal focus as the best intense and race effort method so zoning out and escaping has it's place.

Like everything else in life, balance is key.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Women's problems and masochism - this log has it all really :D:D
    :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    For me the acknowledgement of the pain is also an acknowledgement of the absence of pain elsewhere. Instead of a generalised feeling of "This feels bad, I'm bailing out" it's more "This hurts, but only here and here". Helps to put the focus on what's not hurting. That's the theory anyway.
    Definitely, that really worked for me on Thursday's session. Tried it again on the long run Sunday. We are going to be such lean, mean fighting automatons :eek:

Really thought provoking stuff there NE, thanks. And yes, re the last bit, we should make that our mantra "keep the easy days easy and the hard days hard"

Absolutely, another really useful distraction is running in a group. That also stops negative self-talk for me too. Can you imagine a transcript of the internal conversations runners have with themselves?! :D
    Firedance wrote: »
    Must try this...how do you distinguish between pain from pushing yourself to your max & pain that will result in injury. If I feel pain for eg in one hamstring ill ease off, I see a lot of of that in logs too, 'felt a twinge in x so eased off pace' heavy legs is another common one. Really interesting topic.
    Yeah pain that doesn't go away when you ease off whatever you're doing is a no-no. Leaden legs is usually a sign for me too that I should bail. Dragging leaden legs around on a run is - for me - counter-productive. There's a difference between satisfyingly tired legs the day after a session and 'dead legs'. Running is meant to be fun and dragging dead or leaden legs around is not so I feel no shame bailing on this type of a run (although I have been known to throw in a few strides or hill sprints before I totally bail, just in case.... :rolleyes: )
    kit3 wrote: »
    Missed Tunguska's post first time round - reckon he'd have a great future as a birth coach if he wanted :rolleyes:
    He'd certainly get you in under the 'ten hours in labour' Holles St cut-off :D
    Pretty much every study I've read puts distraction as the best method for easy and low perceived effort levels and internal focus as the best intense and race effort method so zoning out and escaping has it's place.

Like everything else in life, balance is key.

Yup! That was a really interesting discussion. Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Fri 20 March
    40 min rec run
    (4.3 miles but am rounding it up to 4.5 :p )

Sat 21 March
    Rest

Sun 22 March
    90 min
    run with the speedsters group
    Their easy-steady pace = my steady-easy ;)
    Their version of "a flat run"** = lies lies lies :D

All in all a good run with a couple of hills, including one challenging hill of roughly a mile about one third of the way in. (**"Nice downhill now, that's the last of the hills"..."oh, you're forgetting the next one that brings us up to the motorway"..."ah yeah but that's just a short up-and-over....")
    The route heads out in a loop towards Greystones and across to Enniskerry with the motorway bisecting the loop, but you'd never know you were circling a transport artery. Quiet, picturesque rural lanes; rural Devon has nothing on this neck of the woods.
    We finished up with 11 miles on the dot but had the typical runners OCD quandary :rolleyes: of leaving it at that or making it up to 90 minutes...we settled on the 11 miles in 88.5 minutes :)

Weekly total 43 miles
    Breakdown: 6 days (no doubles)
    Key days: one tempo, one quality session and one steady long run
    Aerobic: one easy long run
    Recovery: two days
    No drills, hill drills, sprints or strides...l
    Core and strengthening: not a good week :o
    Maintenance session with physio this week or next, especially in light of track training starting this week.
    Log backlog: back up to 47 :eek:

Advertisement