Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Target Practice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

just wow, fantastic result, excellent report! congrats :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Super stuff :D You are on fire!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

wow - congratulations DG, impressive stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

tang1 wrote: »
    Great performance again DG, you have every right to be buzzing, well done.
    incredible stuff, well done again!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Awesome! You'll be needing a (bigger) trophy cabinet shortly for all the bling. Well done. That 3K is looking good for Monday.
    kit3 wrote: »
    Fantastic - there's no stopping you ! Well done
    Firedance wrote: »
    just wow, fantastic result, excellent report! congrats :-)
    Super stuff :D You are on fire!!!!!
    Duanington wrote: »
    wow - congratulations DG, impressive stuff!

Thanks everybody, very much appreciated! (I know it's 11pm but I gave myself a curfew extension, the night that's in it and all ;) )

FTR:
    Splits were (from starter at 1500 start point): 88/89; 2:45; 4:13/14; 5:11.2

Splitcalc gives my overall split average at:

Split Dist Time
    1 400 meters 1 min 22.93 sec
    2 800 meters 2 min 45.86 sec
    3 1200 meters 4 min 8.8 sec
    4 1500 meters 5 min 11 sec

My brain is too fuzzy now, I'll work out some sort of comparative analysis...tomorrow :) night night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's an insane performance , well done...Well have drinks after terenure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Brilliant, well done....

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Great racing DG! And love the report!
    Ya can't beat the feeling of running fast on a track, and looks like ya really nailed it!
    Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Amazing! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done DG, congrats on the win. Hope you're feeling better too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Impressive stuff! Well done DG!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done! Great report, too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Well done DG - you are flying!

adrian522 wrote: »
    That's an insane performance , well done...Well have drinks after terenure
    Brilliant, well done....
    Thanks Barry :)
    wrstan wrote: »
    Great racing DG! And love the report!
    Ya can't beat the feeling of running fast on a track, and looks like ya really nailed it!
    Well done.
    Thanks B, it felt like 'coming home', I loved it! :)
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Amazing! Well done!
    Thanks Helen! :)
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done DG, congrats on the win. Hope you're feeling better too.
    Thanks Laura, yes, on the mend, all on the way out...new regime is helping :)
    dintbo wrote: »
    Impressive stuff! Well done DG!
    Thanks dintbo, looking forward to you starting your log hint hint :)
    nop98 wrote: »
    Well done! Great report, too!
    Thanks N :)
    spaceylou wrote: »
    Well done DG - you are flying!
    Thanks spaceylou :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bloody hell, I look away from Boards for a day or two and you've gone and won another race!!!! and not even one that you were thinking much about..!! does that mean that you're now Wicklow 1500 champion as well as Wicklow CC champion???

Brilliant running, definitely deserves a celebratory drink or two!!! When's your next triumph scheduled for... Monday? :D

annapr wrote: »
    Bloody hell, I look away from Boards for a day or two and you've gone and won another race!!!! and not even one that you were thinking much about..!! does that mean that you're now Wicklow 1500 champion as well as Wicklow CC champion???

Brilliant running, definitely deserves a celebratory drink or two!!! When's your next triumph scheduled for... Monday? :D

Thanks Anna (btw did you get a signed leave of absence for boards?!) Haha, yes it really was a surprise to me too don't worry! It's all 'running in the dark' at the moment, I literally have no idea how I will perform in each 'first' type of race. I would have been *happy* with a 5:30 time but 5:15 had planted itself in my subconscious. Must start doing that more often eh?!
    It was really like coming home Anna, I enjoyed it so much despite running with the gazelle-like juniors and lack of proper warm up etc. Oh and of course the inevitable pain etc :)
    So yes, that's another Wicklow title, my 4yo is going to be expecting this, I'll have to start smuggling medals out of the house to bring home with me :D
    I am seriously NOT sandbagging but the Leinsters on Monday is going to be very very competitive. It was won in 10:34 last year (my current PB is 11:34 so....) and I will be very happy to finish in the first 10 with hopefully a new PB... We are however fielding a strong team ;)
    I can't sign off without a little bit of sandbagging tho...the tick on my *calendar* had to be moved forward several days this month :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I echo what Anna said. Miss a few days and you've gone and won another race! Great performance & report.

P.s. Jo Pavey won a European Championship Gold Medal as a 40yo during the summer last year.
    I think your self depreciation probably helps your performances tbh ;)

I just think it's fantastic to see you rediscovering your joy in running... and winning is an added bonus :D Looking forward to hearing about the Leinsters now, of course it will be competitive... and there's no doubt you will be competing, sandbags and all :D

*I thought for a minute the tick on your calendar was a race.... duh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wow, that is terrific, DG. Bravo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant stuff DG, those splits are mind-boggling!! That head cold didn't do you any harm then :D Its very inspiring to have someone of a similar stage in life coming into such good form, gives us all a bit of hope !! Mind you I think pure talent for the sport comes in to play here, great stuff :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I echo what Anna said. Miss a few days and you've gone and won another race! Great performance & report.

P.s. Jo Pavey won a European Championship Gold Medal as a 40yo during the summer last year.
    I think your self depreciation probably helps your performances tbh ;)
    Thanks P! I'll take a comparison with Jo Pavey any day of the week ;) (it's a bit like comparing gold and tin though :D )
    I just think it's fantastic to see you rediscovering your joy in running... and winning is an added bonus :D Looking forward to hearing about the Leinsters now, of course it will be competitive... and there's no doubt you will be competing, sandbags and all :D

*I thought for a minute the tick on your calendar was a race.... duh...
    Thanks again Anna, I think Friday on the track really was the highlight so far...although I think I said that after the 10 mile...and the relays...and the 5k :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Wow, that is terrific, DG. Bravo!
    Thanks D, appreciate it! :)
    Runchick wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff DG, those splits are mind-boggling!! That head cold didn't do you any harm then :D Its very inspiring to have someone of a similar stage in life coming into such good form, gives us all a bit of hope !! Mind you I think pure talent for the sport comes in to play here, great stuff :D

Aw thanks, Runchick. That's really nice to hear but I really feel I have to qualify where I'm at a little bit...When I ran competitively as a teen, I never ever felt 'talented', there were always girls waaaay ahead of me and a glance through my old diary confirms that: 52nd in this race, 72nd in that...I suppose it was a combination of the usual teenage fall-off and consistency over the years that paid off for me.
    My theory for where I am now is that muscles have memory and combined with having a bit of background knowledge about running lurking in my grey matter and good advice from my dad, coach and club captain (not to mention my clubmates and *here*!), I've been able to train smart (hard days hard, easy days easy) and consistently.
    Thanks again for the kind words, here's to a long spell of consistency for us all - great to see your training building, long may it continue :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great win DG. It's just getting better and better over here. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

No doubt you are in the leaba already what with the new regime and all but wanted to wish you the best of luck for tomorrow. Go show those young uns how it's done. Again :D.

yes +1 to that, best of luck tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

*another* race :eek:. Good luck, not that you need it.

Another good day at the office :)
    Leinster Masters 3k Championships:
    - Bronze medal individual o/40
    - Silver medal club team (second scorer)
    - Silver medal County team (second scorer)
    No PB today, not sure of the time yet: I ran watchless but 3rd overall was 11:28 or thereabouts, I was 7th overall. It was a hard hard course, each lap contained a hard drag of 700m or so which sapped the legs, it was however definitely a true *race course*.

Well done again!!!! That's some haul of medals you're collecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

It's the pressure of the 4yo being upset if she doesn't bring home those medals to play with that probably spurs her on :)

In all seriousness A, well done. Looking forward to the report.

we expected nothing less :D well done again A, fantastic weekend of racing for you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Another day, another race, another haul of medal! Well done. Again.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    It's the pressure of the 4yo being upset if she doesn't bring home those medals to play with that probably spurs her on :)

In all seriousness A, well done. Looking forward to the report.
    we expected nothing less :D well done again A, fantastic weekend of racing for you!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Another day, another race, another haul of medal! Well done. Again.

Thanks guys, it has to be said that the club did well too, I think every member of BR that ventured down came back with a medal. The Sli Cualann team did well too. And yeah, now I got the whole team worried about the 4yo's happiness ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Wow! Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next while... The current run of form is mind bogglingly good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

I'm getting very sick of your medal winning performances, will you ever give it up jeez :D:D
    \/
    \/

Seriously, great stuff, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! Nothing stopping you at the moment, long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Congrats DG - hope you a big medal cabinet in your house :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah here. Leave a few medals for the others, will you?

Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

More medals??
    I'd love to pretend I'm surprised......:P
    Well done

p.s. Do us a favour and throw in a sh*t race or two like the rest of us, just so we know you're human ;)

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Wow! Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next while... The current run of form is mind bogglingly good
    Thanks JD, it's all a big balancing act. The plan now is to take the foot off the pedal a little race-wise now, but it is well and truly the season of 'racing is your training'...my priority is to keep it enjoyable though, full stop.
    I'm getting very sick of your medal winning performances, will you ever give it up jeez :D:D
    \/
    \/

Seriously, great stuff, well done
    :p;)
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done! Nothing stopping you at the moment, long may it continue.
    Thanks chickey, just saw you started a log, looking forward to reading that in a bit!
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Congrats DG - hope you a big medal cabinet in your house :D
    Hehe thanks TJ, I might have to get a board for them alright :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah here. Leave a few medals for the others, will you?

Well done!
    Done with the medals Murph, we're going for the money now ;):D

Ba bling, ba bling :D Nice haul! Well done on a very productive bank holiday :) Feet up now. And bed by 10 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Well done DG! Another cracking performance and well deserved!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Super stuff, as usual. :) Feels like only yesterday when typing that last, oh, hang on, it was!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I really can't tell you much more, it's all a blur except probably early in the second lap, I decided two of the juniors were settling down too much so I passed them. Asked myself what the f was I doing but once you do that, there's no turning back so I must have done all the usual stuff, settling down, form check, breathing check, panic...chuck out...(that was at 800m and I heard the starter call out 2:45 for 800m :cool:)

Congrats again on 2 great races and don't forget the table for that 800m time! That's an official split yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Fabulous running DG, it's great to see you, and the team doing so well, but mostly you seem to be having such a blast at the moment which is really great to see! Well done!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    More medals??
    I'd love to pretend I'm surprised......:P
    Well done

p.s. Do us a favour and throw in a sh*t race or two like the rest of us, just so we know you're human ;)
    Thanks P :) would it help if I said this wasn't my *best* race?! It was hard work and the legs never really hit a rhythm...
    Ba bling, ba bling :D Nice haul! Well done on a very productive bank holiday :) Feet up now. And bed by 10 ;)
    Thanks BG, gave myself another curfew extension ;) back to the regime now :)
    Well done DG! Another cracking performance and well deserved!:)
    Thanks NE sorry things didn't go well for you yesterday....
    nop98 wrote: »
    Super stuff, as usual. :) Feels like only yesterday when typing that last, oh, hang on, it was!!! :)
    Haha thanks N :) plenty if rest now, no race for another two weeks :)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Congrats again on 2 great races and don't forget the table for that 800m time! That's an official split yes?
    Thanks Os, yeah I might stick that up there as I don't think I'll be doing a standalone effort anytime soon :(
    wrstan wrote: »
    Fabulous running DG, it's great to see you, and the team doing so well, but mostly you seem to be having such a blast at the moment which is really great to see! Well done!
    Thank you! Yes, we all went home happy yesterday :) and yes, I am so glad I have this second wind....

Fri 1
    Wicklow County T&F championships, 1500m 1st, senior race in 5:11.2 - see race report
    T: 4.25mi

Sat 2
    Rest

Sun 3
    4 mi easy jogging incl 5x100m strides (pre-race prep)

Weekly total 27.5
    5 running days incl:
    1x race
    1x medium long run
    1x form drill session
    2x race prep days incl strides

Mon 4
    Race Report: Leinster Masters Road 3k championships, Gowran Co Kilkenny

6th overall, 3rd o/40 and second scorer on both county and club teams (both silver medal) time 11:38

I had looked at last years results for this and felt that a top 10 finish was possible...just. The club captain drove myself and a clubmate down. He explained the course: roughly triangular, two laps which took in a long drag of approximately 700m, ending about 100m before the turn for the home straight (another 130m or so). We arrived early and walked around the course, sure enough a sticky and steep enough drag...We discussed tactics i.e. that on cresting the drag on the second lap, we should break with about 230m to go, tough for us but also tough for whoever might be on our shoulders :eek:

Usual warm up of 2mi + and 4x100m strides and drills. The two novice races seemed to be a few minutes late starting but ours was called to the start early, luckily I felt warmed up enough, unlike Friday's track race :)

Off we went and I must have thought I was on the track again as I used up my creatine and settled into fifth place. I questioned the wisdom of this and pulled back a little while doing a general overall check, legs, breathing, settling etc and decided to stay with the leading group anyway (maybe eight of us, not sure because I didn't look over my shoulder but could hear at least two behind).

I'm not going to lie, it was a tough, tough race. I never felt I really hit a flowing stride. FTR, Aunty Flo - (TM) Firedance - was on her third day visiting and while I don't think this made an absolute difference in terms of pace or place, it may have made the effort required that bit harder. This is the gold value of training logs as I have been able to look back over the last few months and pinpoint an off day each month to this time. At least I didn't have to stop and walk like I did on a training run a couple of months ago :D And if that's the worst it's going to affect me during a race, I'll go with it :)

I did however get passed early on in the second lap. I worked to keep her in my sights with a view to taking her at the finish but ye goddesses, the second time on the hill sapped me. I crested the hill and summoned up a surge (I could also hear 'M' being cheered hot on my heels) but *postponed* the final sprint until we turned a sharp corner for the final 100m+. I could hear 'M' being cheered still and could practically feel her breath but I got there and kept my sixth place overall :D

The results were a bit nail biting: I had thought I was 7th overall so wasn't too sure at all about the o/40 placings. It was a huge and very pleasant surprise to hear my name being called out for bronze. My clubmate finished a fantastic third overall and second o/40. Our third Sli Cualann member had a really strong run too to finish 11th overall, putting us in the silver medal category for both club and county team awards. The 4yo's jaw did a very satisfying drop when I got home.

We both had a chat with the inspirational Emilia Dan after the race. She was full of encouragement and advocated an approach of 'no limits to what you can achieve'. She has been running only four years (she started running because she was *does this gorgeous expressive continental gesture indicating overweight* :) )and just recently moved into the o/45 category. Her favourite distance is 10 miles and in the last four years she has achieved a PB of 62:xx at this distance and consistently runs 64-66 minutes.

T incl w/u and c/d 6.5mi

Tue 5
    Recovery 2 miles. Felt this. Urgh.
    Time also for a visit to the Walkinstown clinic for a loosen out and tune up. My body is starting to complain about the hard schedule recently, quite rightly too. No race for two weeks anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Emilia is a great character, always has time for a chat after the race.
    Did she show you her Garmin ;):pac:

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Emilia is a great character, always has time for a chat after the race.
    Did she show you her Garmin ;):pac:

she's also a great inspiration and soley responsible for our clubs massive turnout at the recent M&T race.

well done again, I love your race reports, almost feels like we're running along side you :D

Well done, very nice report also. No stopping you at the moment.

almost feels like we're running along side you :D

Ha ha, likely to be the only time any of us could keep up with her!

Ha ha, likely to be the only time any of us could keep up with her!

Haha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Woman, you are unreal. Last time I was here you were sick. Since you've more medals, glory and PB's. Incredible. Well done. 2 super races and times to make one puke looking at. Massive congratulations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement