Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Best of luck, this evening A!!!! looks like it's brightening up for you, no need for the new runners! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

annapr wrote: »
    Best of luck, this evening A!!!! looks like it's brightening up for you, no need for the new runners! :)

Thanks! I suppose it's an adult PB and nearly more importantly ;) a table jobbie :D:D but wouldn't you know, I forgot my stopwatch...I caught a glimpse over the timekeeper's shoulder, 11:3x tbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Nicely done... Kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks! I suppose it's an adult PB and nearly more importantly ;) a table jobbie :D:D but wouldn't you know, I forgot my stopwatch...I caught a glimpse over the timekeeper's shoulder, 11:3x tbc

I clocked you at 11:38(gun). You looked strong.....

You git, you never said hello!!! :D

• Advertisement

You git, you never said hello!!! :D

:D I was there spying the competition for the county 5k. I've nothing to worry about, it's in the bag:cool::pac:

:D I was there spying the competition for the county 5k. I've nothing to worry about, it's in the bag:cool::pac:

'Slong as it wasn't you I chick'd in the last 50m ;)

Well done!!! Now start making flapjacks ;)

'Slong as it wasn't you I chick'd in the last 50m ;)

Nope, I wasn't racing. I was up in the trees with a binoculars.

Well done!!! Now start making flapjacks ;)
    Anna, see post in trail run thread :( better get the Murph to don the apron ;)
    Nope, I wasn't racing. I was up in the trees with a binoculars.

Scarlet by name, pimpernelly by nature!

• Advertisement

Anna, see post in trail run thread :( better get the Murph to don the apron ;)

Scarlet by name, pimpernelly by nature!

Did you happen to notice someone wearing a deliverance hat playing ball with a four year old?

Did you happen to notice someone wearing a deliverance hat playing ball with a four year old?

Probably, and for that reason I ignored you (the hat, not the 4yo :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done Dubgal!!! Now off you go and update this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well DG, sweet running.

Barry, you are sounding stranger with each post....

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done Dubgal!!! Now off you go and update this!
    Hey Os thanks but, I'm going to wait until the official results in case there is a second or two in my favour...if however BON's time is more favourable.... ;)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Well DG, sweet running.
    Thanks tang, i fcked up the splits a bit but it's a learning curve...race report will explain more....tomorrow :)
    Barry, you are sounding stranger with each post....

He's *talking* in complete sentences Anna! he's a bit rusty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done last night and great to meet you this morning. Best of luck on Monday. Hoping to make it down to spectate if I can.

Hey Barry, I'm going to go with the official time, 11:34 hope ya don't mind :D Race report to follow.....

Hey Barry, I'm going to go with the official time, 11:34 hope ya don't mind :D Race report to follow.....

Great work last night DG and super to see you making inroads into that table!!! Keep 'em coming!!! Which target is up next?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great work last night DG and super to see you making inroads into that table!!! Keep 'em coming!!! Which target is up next?

Thanks Os! Ten mile in Raheny on Monday...it will be very tight because of the last few weeks interruptions but I'll see what I can do. I'll have to start conservatively for it to work which will be quite hard but I'll make sure I have my stopwatch strapped on this time :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Os! Ten mile in Raheny on Monday...it will be very tight because of the last few weeks interruptions but I'll see what I can do. I'll have to start conservatively for it to work which will be quite hard but I'll make sure I have my stopwatch strapped on this time :D

Ah brill! Missed that somehow! Didn't even know there was a 10 mile in Raheny.
    Just checked the weather there and it seems perfect for Monday! Cold and NO WIND!!!!
    Great idea to start off conservatively and ease into it.
    We all have every confidence in you!

Race Report Thur 2 April, Fit4Life 3k Shanganagh Park
    11:34 (adult PB) and 3rd lady o/all

The plan for my first adult outing at 3k involved maths and was very nearly my undoing :rolleyes: As it turns out, I fooled myself in a good way. More in a bit...
    (A goal 11:30, B goal 12:00.... Gold goal sub-11:30)

The morning saw me cast my eye uneasily at the clouds dispensing the particularly wetter kind of drizzle (I had got soaked to the skin at 8am during a 1.75m warm up jog in prep for the evening).
    The afternoon saw me glaring at the clouds and that clearly worked because the ground started drying up, enough to stop me flapping about my racers vs old asics dilemma.

I reached the park in good time, dropped my bag and started a 4k v v easy jog with some clubmates (I might actually get used to this warm-up-in-company lark). During it, I noticed that traction wasn't great in some patches, indeed during one stride out I felt my legs circling like in a highly polished hamster wheel.... :eek: so after a chat with the club captain, I changed back into my asics.
    Finished the warm up with 6 drills and a few shorter fast strides. Happy with form etc and went to line up.

The gun went and I hared off, using up my quota of creatine(?) I suppose, but within 60m, settled into what I thought was a fair imitation of the cadence used in recent 800s for just under 3:50/km pace. Two ladies passed me around 300m and 500m but one I hoped to reel back in.
    I heard the first km called at 3:43 (6m/m pace) which meant I had overcooked it a little but had planned to ease off *slightly* on the second km anyway. The second km had a nice little stretch of 300m or so slightly downhill but nevertheless another lady steamed past me. Natch, wasn't happy about this and got her back ;) but must have been befuddled after that mini battle as brain *did.not.compute* when I heard the second split called out: 7:43. This meant that my second k had dropped to 4minutes and I am a bit puzzled about this as I hadn't thought I took my foot off the pedal that much :confused:
    Luckily my brain translated this positively and I prepared to rev up for the last km. (this trickery all hinged on subtracting various multiples of 10 from multiples of 4 depending on: B goal 4km pace, A goal 3:50 pace and Gold goal 3:40 pace. Next time a wristband... :rolleyes: :D )

About 2.2k in there is an ever so slight incline for about 200m, enough to hurt a little when the going is getting tough. Actually a lot. So Tunguska, I let that pain in, oh yes I did. I located it, said hi, you're welcome, then threw it out ;)
    Something worked because the last km was 3:51 and even better I chicked a guy in the last 50m :D (didn't have the mental strength to get the one that finished one sec ahead. Next time.)

Thoughts: I really think my finish is getting stronger and that mentally, I am making progress with digging in. Pain management is working too. Pacing...needs work but that will come. I really should have started more conservatively but that takes a lot of discipline and confidence.
    I'd really like to see what inroads I can make on this time with some specific speed work...and of course spikes on a track :D I think sub-11 is there before the summer is out.

Ps, I didn't catch that lady, she was on fire :)

Thanks for reading :)

Great running, DG! I can't figure out what you were at with the complicated maths but it seemed to work for you...! I'm sure those women who dared to pass you will get their comeuppance before the summer is out.

Do you think doing the 10m on Monday so soon after this will affect your performance?

Great running, DG! I can't figure out what you were at with the complicated maths but it seemed to work for you...! I'm sure those women who dared to pass you will get their comeuppance before the summer is out.

Do you think doing the 10m on Monday so soon after this will affect your performance?

No, I didn't figure out the maths either :rolleyes:
    I don't think it will, I have three full days to recover and a 3k recovery generally needs less recovery than say, a 10k.
    The benefits of this will hopefully outweigh any negatives ie it's a sharpener after a month of no/little pace work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dubgal72 wrote:
    Race Report Thur 2 April, Fit4Life 3k Shanganagh Park 11:34 (adult PB) and 3rd lady o/all

Fair focks. That's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff DG, kudos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's a great run, you never said you finished 3rd!! Well done, enjoy the 10 mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Nice one DG. Seems pretty impressive to me especially given your recent sickness and interrupted training as a result. More to come off that as well I'm sure!!

aquinn wrote: »
    Fair focks. That's brilliant.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Great stuff DG, kudos.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    That's a great run, you never said you finished 3rd!! Well done, enjoy the 10 mile!
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Nice one DG. Seems pretty impressive to me especially given your recent sickness and interrupted training as a result. More to come off that as well I'm sure!!

Thanks everyone and Adrian, it wasn't til I got home yesterday and checked the official results that I could confirm it. I thought there might have been a senior lady in the mix but as it happens the grey brigade (o/40 cohort :D ) kicked senior ass once again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks everyone ......but as it happens the FIFTY SHADES OF grey brigade (o/40 cohort :D ) kicked senior ass once again...

The makings of the OAP sequel :)

TbL

Advertisement