Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Fri 10
    Rest, no core as prescribed...

Sat11
    8am run on empty: 10k, low-medium effort for easy-steady pace. Meh.

Sun 12
    Lsr 12.5 miles, easy and comfortable pace with company :) missed the rain this morning and the sun even came out towards the end. A win-win run, came home to roast pork and a glass of red. La vita e bella ;)

Weekly T: 46.25

Breakdown:

6 days running
    1 race
    1 light session
    1 lsr
    3 x easy/recovery days

Hi Dubgal. Just catching up. Congrats on a great 10 mile individual race in St Annes and the team gold.

That looks like a very sensible weeks training there. I know its a cliche, but recovery is vital. Most people lose a substantial % of gains from a session my not taking enough recovery. I would say that your average runner takes a day too little after every session. Say you run a hard session: after you are tired the 1st day, a bit less tired the 2nd day, pretty OK the third.
    Most people would do a session again on the third day. IMO they have still 10-15% of gains to be made from that session by resting the xtra day.
    If you factor in that they will be a lot more rested starting the nest session: then losses are significant.
    Sometimes you cant rest the extra day as you have set club sessions.
    In that case you can go a gear easier in club sessions.
    What happens then:
    The pressure falls less on your energy systems and more on your legs. Youll be able to run all your reps relaxed and with good form.
    Your legs will get stronger, and get good at running these strong paces relaxed; the paces at this effort will magically start to fall, until the pressure comes on your breathing again. Youll be stronger fitter, and will be able to still measure your effort based on the recovery available.

(when you have a key session, take whatever recovery is needed even if it means postponing or pushing out the next session).

Anyway, your choice of week after the 10 miler means you will have gained every ounce of gain from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Only just reading the race report now, had to set aside a bit of time ;). Great report and no surprise to any of us on the sub-70.

Love the story of the M60 and his hair-straighters ;). Maybe next year ....

Congrats on the team gold too!
    Oops sorry for the late reply hilly! Thanks :) Yeah maybe we should start entering under gender neutral names...although my ghds are on their last legs...:D
    MKDTH wrote: »
    I just read your 10 mile race report. Congrats on another great race and amusing report to boot, although I am very disappointed that the irons were not just for you 'gals'.
    Haha thanks :) Yeah, damn these progressive times, back to the kitchen with me ;) (actually, that's where I am right now you'll be pleased to hear :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Look at you being so sensible with your recovery! You'll be in great shape for the 5K - is that next weekend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ive borrowed and used your 'accept the pain' methodology twice now and it really does work! Though im using it in a 'training wheels' kind of way and rather than accepting the pain im telling myself im not really feeling it :pac: So far so good!

Not that im in anyway comparing my learner pains to yours! ;)

demfad wrote: »
    Hi Dubgal. Just catching up. Congrats on a great 10 mile individual race in St Annes and the team gold.

That looks like a very sensible weeks training there. I know its a cliche, but recovery is vital. Most people lose a substantial % of gains from a session my not taking enough recovery. I would say that your average runner takes a day too little after every session. Say you run a hard session: after you are tired the 1st day, a bit less tired the 2nd day, pretty OK the third.
    Most people would do a session again on the third day. IMO they have still 10-15% of gains to be made from that session by resting the xtra day.
    If you factor in that they will be a lot more rested starting the nest session: then losses are significant.
    Sometimes you cant rest the extra day as you have set club sessions.
    In that case you can go a gear easier in club sessions.
    What happens then:
    The pressure falls less on your energy systems and more on your legs. Youll be able to run all your reps relaxed and with good form.
    Your legs will get stronger, and get good at running these strong paces relaxed; the paces at this effort will magically start to fall, until the pressure comes on your breathing again. Youll be stronger fitter, and will be able to still measure your effort based on the recovery available.

(when you have a key session, take whatever recovery is needed even if it means postponing or pushing out the next session).

Anyway, your choice of week after the 10 miler means you will have gained every ounce of gain from it.
    Thanks demfad, always good to hear that you're on the right track from an objective onlooker. The club captain and coach are advocates of recovery and quality over quantity so I know I'm in good hands when I listen to them (always!). I really enjoyed last week, it's good to put the brakes on sometimes.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Look at you being so sensible with your recovery! You'll be in great shape for the 5K - is that next weekend ?
    :) and it didn't even kill me to do it! The 5k is mid week next week, not sure which day. That's going to be a time-chasing race over position. It'll be good to do a *short* race for sure :D
    Ive borrowed and used your 'accept the pain' methodology twice now and it really does work! Though im using it in a 'training wheels' kind of way and rather than accepting the pain im telling myself im not really feeling it :pac: So far so good!

Not that im in anyway comparing my learner pains to yours! ;)
    That's really good to hear Hanny! Pain is pain is pain though, I think we all feel the same pain :eek: As long as you save it for key sessions and races? Although I think you have the training paces under control now :)

• Advertisement

Yeah its no longer easy running pain thanks to you lot lol. Its work pain and long work tiredness. It was very relaxing to accept it and move on. Rather than the usual 'im so far from home and ive so much more to go i'll never make it whaaa!' mantra ive been using up till now ;):D

log w/b Mon 13 April

Mon 13
    Rest.
    The day ran away on me and tiredness hit like a ton of bricks at 10pm so decided early bed over core would be more beneficial. Did some hip stretchy things in between last-thing-at night stuff like breakfast and lunches prep.

Tue 14
    Track session
    (mile-based session) 6 x 400m, full 400 cont jog rec
    Aim: 'to stress the heart and improve running economy'.

As this was the first session of its type this year, coach hopped in (to observe, not partake) on this one and off a carful of us set to the local tartan track...only to hear when nearly there that it was closed due to sports day. Blimmin up-and-coming yoofs how dare they interrupt a crucial old fogeys session?! ;)

We doubled back along the N11 to Kilbogget cinder track. Plan was to do the 400s in 82 but coach very kindly told us we'd probably find it harder to reach that target on cinder.
    I've never run on cinder before and I could see what he meant. After a 15 min or so warm up, we did some strides and I could see how purchase on the gravelly surface is...not as nice as tartan. Ah well. I've heard that Kilbogget is notoriously windy but luckily the wind was mild enough and only in our faces on the first bend.

There were four of us and we took it in turns to lead out. We had some teething problems with pacing.... SF led us in in 76 :eek: I had a feeling it was too pacey, by 200 I could feel a teeny bit of lactic warming up but kept it controlled and strong.
    Yours truly led out the second one, convinced I could hit 80 pace but no, coachy called out 78...the next two were slightly more settled, both around 79 and 80 and like you'd expect, the last two sped up again at 78 and 77 (including having to boomerang into lane four on the back straight to run around the linesmen).
    76:xx
    79:xx
    80:xx
    78:xx
    77:xx
    Felt good, this was my favourite type of session 'back in the day' and pretty damn pleased with this one :)

15 min cool down and very thorough stretching back at the ranch
    T 6.25

Recovery run planned for later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's great beermile training DG on the hallowed ground ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's great beermile training DG on the hallowed ground ;)

I knew I left out something...we necked a glass of prosecco between laps :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

76:xx
    79:xx
    80:xx
    78:xx
    77:xx
    Felt good, this was my favourite type of session 'back in the day' and pretty damn pleased with this one :)

Very tasty. Nice work Dg :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

"The 5k is mid week next week, not sure which day. That's going to be a time-chasing race over position. It'll be good to do a *short* race for sure :"

Is it the county 5k you are doing? It's Wed evening.....

I knew I left out something...we necked a glass of prosecco between laps :p

Sneaky training, you're going for gold! I should get plenty of practice (on the prosecco part at least) on my hols. And, as Ososlo wisely pointed out, I can sneak further supplies back in my new Grid roller.

Nice session btw :D

"The 5k is mid week next week, not sure which day. That's going to be a time-chasing race over position. It'll be good to do a *short* race for sure :"

Is it the county 5k you are doing? It's Wed evening.....
    Yes it is, thanks. *see* you there ?!
    Sneaky training, you're going for gold! I should get plenty of practice (on the prosecco part at least) on my hols. And, as Ososlo wisely pointed out, I can sneak further supplies back in my new Grid roller.

Nice session btw :D

Haha at least I post my methods up ;)
    Happy holiday (warm weather) training! :D

Very tasty. Nice work Dg :D

Thanks CM, I am happy to know there is life in the old legs yet :D

Tue 14
    PM: 3.5m rec run, not too bad

Wed 15
    5miles easy...ok/meh

Thur 16
    Planned 10 mile easy/steady cut short to 8 due to time constraints, weird legs and...blisters. I'm blaming the new shoes (Asics Gel DS 20) Not feeling the love. I've broken them in the usual way, gradually increasing distance and alternating days. Each time I've worn them, I start off feeling good but after a mile or so I'm conscious of my stride being 'off'. Today was the last straw, I felt that my stride was off by half a mile in and not long after could feel all sorts of pulling in both feet. Injury territory that :eek:
    Back to Amphibian King in the morning I think. If they don't have a halfway point hybrid of Asics GT 2000 and Saucony A6, it's back to the GT 2000s for me...shame as I really want a lightweight regular training shoe :(

Core and general strengthening: still contemplating it....

Ps. Just read TbL's latest sobering post...it's a roller coaster game this running :( So I am now getting outta here, off my ass and onto the kitchen floor for some core...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ps. Just read TbL's latest sobering post...it's a roller coaster game this running :( So I am now getting outta here, off my ass and onto the kitchen floor for some core...
    Its awful isn't it :( hope you find the right runners, crazy how much difference they can make!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have you tried the Kinvara's or the Saucony Breakthru? Both quite light but cushioned enough for a training shoe. Kinvara is 4mm and Breakthru 8mm.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Kinvara's or the Saucony Breakthru? Both quite light but cushioned enough for a training shoe. Kinvara is 4mm and Breakthru 8mm.

+1 to the Kinvaras. Light as a feather and super comfy. Haven't tried the latest version (5 ?) yet but the 4s and the 2s (probably out of stock) are the business. Didn't like the 3s at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1 to the Kinvaras. Light as a feather and super comfy. Haven't tried the latest version (5 ?) yet but the 4s and the 2s (probably out of stock) are the business. Didn't like the 3s at all though.

There was a a bargain alert out on the 5s earlier in the week. Not sure if they are still available at that price.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057413734

Firedance wrote: »
    Its awful isn't it :( hope you find the right runners, crazy how much difference they can make!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    There was a a bargain alert out on the 5s earlier in the week. Not sure if they are still available at that price.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057413734

Thanks guys. Just been in touch with the manager in the local AK and she has told me to go down and we'll exchange for the right pair. Service eh?! Not a hesitation at all. Complete agreement that it's better to get the right pair. I don't think I'll leave till I try on every single pair :D

And other news: I have entered in the WMM :D which looks like a BGR (Big Goal Race :eek: )...the previous three days spent in Italy at a wedding will make or break me ;)
    Definitely going to attempt a sub 40 on this, I'm laying my cards on the table now...erk...
    It was actually quite funny trying to enter this. For some reason the iPad would only let me enter as a walker...luckily other devices were available, phew...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

The WMM??? There goes your boards street cred ;)

annapr wrote: »
    The WMM??? There goes your boards street cred ;)

Lucky I was never bothered about being a cool kid :cool: :D

Fri 17
    AM
    full general hip etc strength and mobility routine (except for Myrtl, poor Myrtl has been a bit ignored lately :( )
    Plus
    Dark Side core :cool:

Afternoon:
    4.5 mile
    easy run
    - including 2x30 sec progressive long strides (well maybe not exactly, I used a method I saw in a thread* the other day - KC I think - of counting 1,2,3,4 ... 2,2,3,4 ... 3,2,3,4 ... Well that got to be a bit of a mouthful by the time I got to the twenties so on the second longer stride I switched to three lots of 10. KC reckons he gets 190m or so from this method. Not me :o ).
    - and one shorter one
    - followed by 6x8 sec (using above method) hill sprints on the usual railway bridge with walk back recovery. Loved these, think I might have got the distance/time right now, especially after reading* this thread

Sat 18
    Rest

Shoe update: back to the old comfy Asics GT 2000. Told the manager to shoot me if I ever deviate again :D Tried the Kinvaras on, nearly there but enough doubt to say 'uh-uh'. So the plan is to wear the GTs for all long and medium runs and suck it up and go through a few pairs of Saucony A6s in the course of a year using them for shorter and speedier stuff on the road, training and racing. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for a perfect mid-distance lightweight shoe...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I just use the A6 for races, also have a pair of lunarracers which I use for longer races and the track sessions, Kinvara's for easy runs and some of the other (non track) sessions.

Not surehow long the A6 would last if I was using them every week.

I just use the A6 for races, also have a pair of lunarracers which I use for longer races and the track sessions, Kinvara's for easy runs and some of the other (non track) sessions.

Not surehow long the A6 would last if I was using them every week.

I'll probably use the A6s once a week and hence the 'sucking up bit...€...'
    I am a bit limited really regarding footwear so should accept that I have to stick with what suits (flat feet). Being a 'shoe-slut' like Dublin Runner is not for me :D I'm sure you'll give DR a run (pun intended) for his money tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have you considered Brooks ST5's?
    Good all rounder, with a hint of support, I find them great for longer runs and marathons when you need that little bit of support as the form starts to deteriorate.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Have you considered Brooks ST5's?
    Good all rounder, with a hint of support, I find them great for longer runs and marathons when you need that little bit of support as the form starts to deteriorate.
    Thanks D. I'll keep them in mind for next year so...but for now I've had my warning: a little niggle in the bridge of my right foot :eek: which I'm blaming on the attempted long run in the DS Thursday night :mad:

No way re the WMM!!!!! A bit of competition up the front. Be prepared for your laces to be untied and some heckling! ;)

No way re the WMM!!!!! A bit of competition up the front. Be prepared for your laces to be untied and some heckling! ;)

Haha I can take it ;). Not often you get into an elite pen on a sub-45 :D (*NOT* the only reason I am doing it :o )

• Advertisement

Haha I can take it ;). Not often you get into an elite pen on a sub-45 :D (*NOT* the only reason I am doing it :o )

Haahaa. I'm in with fast runners..get me :D

Advertisement