Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Another very satisfying day out :cool: We came fourth in the national road relays championships, o/35 category :D:D Feck that ISS spotting, look up in the sky tonight cos that's me you'll see, over the moon :)
    Race report to follow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice one A, you are lying at the moment!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Nice one A, you are lying at the moment!

No, it's the truth, I swear ;):D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

* Flying! Feck it, not editing now

Haha got there before the edit :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant!! You really are flying :-) look forward to the race report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That was a really competitive Masters race. Great to finish so far up the field. You can come back next year for the medal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done DG, another superb performance. No stopping you at the minute.

adrian522 wrote: »
    * Flying! Feck it, not editing now
    Hehe thanks Adrian :)
    Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant!! You really are flying :-) look forward to the race report
    Thanks! :) Unfortunately no race report until tomorrow, sorry FD...or at least til Athletics Ireland put up the results (maybe Thursday!) as I was watchless and too fcked to look at the cumulative finishing time either. I'll cobble a draft together anyway and edit in the times when they come. That do?!
    That was a really competitive Masters race. Great to finish so far up the field. You can come back next year for the medal :)
    Thanks KU, you looked strong today, well done. And yep, that's the plan next year ;) :cool:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Well done DG, another superb performance. No stopping you at the minute.
    Thanks tang, I had the good fortune to be part of a great team today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done DG, great stuff. Sounds like a great day out too. Had been planning to do this myself but our 2 mile man couldn't make it :( Next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done again today DG and congrats on the team performance. Was good to see you again, you looked well in the zone during your warm up as well! You seem to be really flying it at the moment. Looking forward to reading the report when you get to put it together.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done DG, great stuff. Sounds like a great day out too. Had been planning to do this myself but our 2 mile man couldn't make it :( Next year :)
    Thanks TJ, shame... :( It was a great day all round :)
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done again today DG and congrats on the team performance. Was good to see you again, you looked well in the zone during your warm up as well! You seem to be really flying it at the moment. Looking forward to reading the report when you get to put it together.

Thanks Laura. Haha did you see my comment about my sister?!

Sun 19
    See race report (could be Thursday, I am waiting for Athletics Ireland to post the official results up for my time....):
    National Road Relays Championships, Raheny

3m warm up incl 3xlong strides and drills
    Race (o/35): 1 mile, 2 miles, 1 mile (my leg) (team 4th ;) )
    3m cool down

T 7

Wt 34.25
    Breakdown:

1 quality session (track)
    1 double day (session day as recovery run)
    2 rest days
    1 medium long run
    1 form/fast twitch day
    1 race day :)
    1 core session :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I watch the relays every year, raging to have missed them now :(. In true Raheny style I won a kettle (a raffle prize :o) one year :D. Well done on what sounds like an epic team performance, looking forward to hearing all about it.

Thanks BG, I raise my glass of Prosecco to you :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks BG, I raise my glass of Prosecco to you :D

I see your glass of Prosecco (although it's a bit blurry ;)) and raise you 2 glasses :D

Thanks TJ, shame... :( It was a great day all round :)

Thanks Laura. Haha did you see my comment about my sister?!

I did, priceless! I was chatting to himself and caught you in the corner of my eye, had to double check it was actually you. Hope you're enjoying that prosecco!

Race Report: National Road Relays Championships, Raheny 2015
    Fourth, o/35

Night before
    Not a sip of alcohol had passed my lips since the previous Sunday and Saturday was really the lovely type of day where a glass of white would have gone down a treat but I decided to continue my no-alcohol pre-race prep.
    Dinner was wholewheat pasta in - get me ;) - homemade fennel and walnut pesto (my first, a bit heavy on the garlic but I am never buying pesto again!). Bed by 10:30, a record recently but I had, let's say, troubled dreams about the race tomorrow: one scenario involved us letting the first leg off without us because - get this - NetwerkErrer ran for us :D We then looked at each other in dismay as we realised that we had let a man into a women's race :eek: .....too weird, stay out of my dreams NE :D Other permutations unravelled about the relay, none of them good :(

Morning
    8am Breakfast was the usual porridge with honey and raisins and a strong coffee followed by a bagel with peanut butter and another coffee at 10.

On the way
    Met up with SF, team mate on the dart and had a general chit chat

Warm up
    One of the Wicklow coaches outlined the order of running (AK first, SF second and yours truly third leg) on the warm up. Lovely to be able to assess the whole course on a warm up and we did two laps followed by three long strides. I did some drills and general shuffle jogging while waiting for my leg.

Pre race
    Looks like I was well and truly in 'the zone' pre-race as I walked past my sister at the starting line SEVERAL times and even stared straight at her and blanked her :eek: I have zero memory of this...
    I did some high knee lifts while waiting to start during the second leg...my legs felt like wobbly lead and I thought 'jaysus, I can't run' but also told myself that this was all my adrenaline and energy preparing to unleash...or something!

The race
    My club mate finished really strong and passed into fourth place in the finishing straight, giving me a two second gain on fifth. I started off at an aggressive clip as I wanted to assert our gain but eased off slightly around the first corner with ecolii's warning echoing in my mind ('it's all too easy to hare off at the beginning and all too soon you realise that a mile can seem like a very long way...').
    Apparently, there is a slight drag uphill here but I didn't notice it til running around the course in reverse on the warm down. I saw the Donore athlete in the distance (21 seconds ahead at changeover) and said to myself 'I am going to get her'... The irony of me chasing down my former club wasn't lost on me!
    But, along here, I felt the first pinching of my aggressive pace (maybe I was feeling the drag in my legs without realising it?). Luckily I remembered to wave my magic wand, in conjunction with acknowledging that the hurt was accompanied by what I can only call a little wave of panic, i.e., I was worried about hurting for the next 1200m or so. This. Works. Like. Magic.
    Today, it worked on two levels: accepting the pain and acknowledging that it was panic that would do the damage.

I relaxed into the slight downhill and rounded the bend onto the long tarmac'd bit, concentrating on keeping the same strong and clippy cadence. I had planned on doing some form and stride awareness but to be honest, a mile passes in such a quick fug, I have no memory of doing this.
    Support along this stretch was great, from onlookers and stewards. The athlete behind me had great personal support and many started cheering for her as I passed which made me wonder if she was gaining. (I gathered from more neutral supporters that she wasn't ) That was scary but only served to make me dig deeper :) I've made it a habit, this time round, to never look back and I think it's a habit worth keeping. The unknown is a great spur.

It know it was hurting by now, with 400-600m to go, but I have no clear memory of it. I turned into the finishing straight and really dug deep to finish strong, even sprinting. My finish recently is something I am really pleased with. I've been able to finish strong in the last three races, not because I haven't emptied the tank... I think I may be accessing that hidden tank, deep deep down. I hope it's that...anyway, the thought of it being the difference between a 6:xx leg and a 5:xx leg made all the difference in the dredging :D
    As it turned out, according to the Athletics Ireland results up this morning, it was a 5:52 leg, second fastest overall :eek: I suspected I had gone fast within my expectations but I Was. Not. Expecting. That.

Race breakdown:
    Our first mile leg was 8th fastest overall, we handed over in 7th place.
    Our 2 mile leg was fourth fastest overall, we handed over in fourth position.
    Mine was the second fastest leg overall :D in 5:52, the fastest leg was by Raheny, the winning team - also third leg - in 5:51 so only one second in it. In fact Raheny had the third fastest leg too: 5:53 by their first leg athlete. Next fastest legs were by Drogheda (1st leg) and Donore (3rd leg) in 5:58

Between fourth (us) and fifth place at changeover: I extended a two second gain at handover to 14 secs at finish due to fear ;) and a really deep dig at the finish.
    Between fourth (us) and third place at changeover: I managed to narrow the gap at changeover from 21 seconds on Donore in third place to 15 at finish.

Cumulative time (24:09) would have got us second place last year!! Shows even higher standard this year.
    Considering we only *cobbled* together a team last Monday, I think we did well :)

This was a fantastic afternoon, well done Raheny, both on the organisation and your successes yesterday. Great to see Donore win the senior men's, their first in 15 years I think, maybe even longer. Seeing the top athletes perform is something else, myself and my clubmates agreed that the senior women, springing down the road with all the strength and speed of youth, were a different breed altogether! (Apart from the fact that many of them didn't look old enough to be let out alone :D )

Another long one so if you have got this far, thank you!

Oh and ps BG, my glass got too blurry so you win :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic! Great work and congrats on yet another entry on the table.
    I wonder what kind of times you'll be running this time next year:eek:

ps: you know you're spending a little too much time on Boards when AR Boardsies (who you've never met) start infiltrating your dreams:)

Ososlo wrote: »

ps: you know you're spending a little too much time on Boards when AR Boardsies (who you've never met) start infiltrating your dreams:)

Yup :) guilty :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

So ... *another* round number!

Congrats again :)

+1 on the pesto. Completely different taste from the jars. Think you should market yours as Go Fast Pesto, it'd be a best seller!
    Great report, really captures the fear of a team race :eek: which is so different from the fear of a solo race. Well done you and you team and everyone who raced yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant! and we didn't have to wait till Thursday :) I just love the way you keep pulling more out of the hat, or in this case 'the tank' :-) inspirational stuff.

p.s. can we have your pesto recipe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Haha! Freddie Krueger hasn't got a patch on me!:D

Well done DG! Cracking performance again. Absolutely on fire!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done Dg. You ran a brilliant race and plenty more to come off that time I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

.....I think I may be accessing that hidden tank, deep deep down. I hope it's that...anyway, the thought of it being the difference between a 6:xx leg and a 5:xx leg made all the difference in the dredging :D
    As it turned out, according to the Athletics Ireland results up this morning, it was a 5:52 leg, second fastest overall :eek: I suspected I had gone fast within my expectations but I Was. Not. Expecting. That. ....

Super run!

Its a bit over the mile too that loop so you could take another 5-6 secs on that.
    The 3 mile leg was very close to 5k according to a few reports I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Love the report, and great running as usual.... you are really mastering the 'magic wand' technique! I'm in awe of your time, brilliant.

Chuckled at you blanking your sister, hope she saw the funny side :)

Smashing time DG. Well done.

Ososlo wrote: »
    :)
    Stop planting evil thoughts in my head woman :)
    So ... *another* round number!

Congrats again :)
    Thanks Hilly :). Hope that coughing is giving you a break :(
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 on the pesto. Completely different taste from the jars. Think you should market yours as Go Fast Pesto, it'd be a best seller!
    Great report, really captures the fear of a team race which is so different from the fear of a solo race. Well done you and you team and everyone who raced yesterday.
    Thanks BG, Go Fast...hmmm GF...GARMIN Free :p Only joking, I've got over your desertion ;) Now go and pour yourself another Prosecco and do a lap of the pool. You're meant to be in training!
    Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant! and we didn't have to wait till Thursday I just love the way you keep pulling more out of the hat, or in this case 'the tank' :-) inspirational stuff.

p.s. can we have your pesto recipe!!!
    Hey thanks FD, really kind but as I said, being chased does all sorts of terrible things to you!
    Pesto recipe: Do NOT chop three cloves of garlic, one is enough :eek:
    - grind with a generous handful of walnuts and sea/Himalayan rock salt
    - grind in some fennel fronds
    - mix in alternately finely grated Parmesan and a mild olive oil to taste and consistency. Voilà ;)
    Haha! Freddie Krueger hasn't got a patch on me!:D

Well done DG! Cracking performance again. Absolutely on fire!:)
    Thanks NE, really good to see you back on track too. But now I am scared of you after the Krueger mention....aaaah!
    Well done Dg. You ran a brilliant race and plenty more to come off that time I'd say :)
    Thanks CM, that's the plan, just have to talk coachy into letting me focus on that for a while at some stage...
    demfad wrote: »
    Super run!

Its a bit over the mile too that loop so you could take another 5-6 secs on that.
    The 3 mile leg was very close to 5k according to a few reports I heard.
    Thanks demfad! Yes, KC reckons it's 30m long and did actual calculations which got me at 5:46 I think for the mile.
    annapr wrote: »
    Love the report, and great running as usual.... you are really mastering the 'magic wand' technique! I'm in awe of your time, brilliant.

Chuckled at you blanking your sister, hope she saw the funny side :)
    Thanks Anna, yeah she 'got it'. She's a karate junkie herself so knows all about 'the zone', luckily. Don't be wanting to get on the wrong side of a karate junkie ;)
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Smashing time DG. Well done.

Thanks Laura. I really hope I wasn't burbling too much post race?! I have realised I spout a load of nonsense post-race, must be the adrenaline etc exiting the body...that's my excuse anyway. Anyway, it was a lovely surprise to see you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done - what a great race and performance!
    Today, it worked on two levels: accepting the pain and acknowledging that it was panic that would do the damage.

This is a great insight - thanks for sharing.

Advertisement