Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done DG, super race and report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done Dubgal, congrats on the PB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

well done you!!! super race report :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great going, A. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB Dubgal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done! Great race and great report. Shame I didn't get to see you, I couldn't hang around as I had visitors.
    Thanks A, hehe well done for getting out for the race with visitors! Hopefully see you at the half.
    annapr wrote: »
    Great running, A... you and your club mates! Well done on a new pb! :)
    Thanks Anna, you know you and A got me that sub-42 ;) Now up your game and get me that sub-41 :p
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super time and placing ! Well done, great report too. I'm still stuffing my face so will do my write up later :D
    Thanks! Hehe you too, won't be long before you're top-10ing
    Well done on another very good race. I know you would have liked a faster time but you're improving from every race and chipping away at your PB all the time so lots to be taken from it :)
    Thanks missus, you're right you know. Just got to be patient....(hope FBOT is not reading this :o )
    nop98 wrote: »
    Well done DG, super race and report!
    Thanks N :)
    diego_b wrote: »
    Well done Dubgal, congrats on the PB!
    Thanks diego, well done yourself! Flying :)
    Firedance wrote: »
    well done you!!! super race report :)
    Thanks AM, and yourself. That sub 50 is getting closer and closer :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Great going, A. Congrats.
    Thanks Murph. Am happy overall. just not so happy underall :)

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB Dubgal.

Thanks Jake. Onwards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nice one Dubgal, great running in the middle of heavy training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done on the pb.

You say you're slightly disappointed though. What time were you expecting to run? (maybe I've missed it somewhere but I thought sub 42 was your immediate target for 10k)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done, A. A PB is always a good day. Enjoy the 16 miler:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Congrats on the PB.
    We probably crossed paths at some point today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Happy PB and great report! Sounds like a nice race setup there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done DG - a PB is always a good thing, a PB in a "see where you're at" race is a pleasant surprise in my book! Its always tricky trying to sharpen the mind enough for these

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Well done. Great report and PB. I didn't really appreciate those signs on the hill at 6k as much as you - it was never ending :eek:

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nice one Dubgal, great running in the middle of heavy training.
    Thanks P! I'll take it :)
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done on the pb.

You say you're slightly disappointed though. What time were you expecting to run? (maybe I've missed it somewhere but I thought sub 42 was your immediate target for 10k)
    Hi P, yeah I'll explain a bit more. My disappointment lies more with my perception of pace and effort. I was disappointed I was so off. Had a good chat with coachy today which put to bed some concerns. I also need to treat the 10k like a 1500 and to dig in each lap/km as KU advised in the 1500.
    If I am totally honest, my main disappointment is that I was so far off my clubmates (2 mins). I thought the differential would be more like 1 minute. But it was a 'see where you are race' and now I know where I am :)
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well done, A. A PB is always a good day. Enjoy the 16 miler:eek:
    Thanks M :) You're right, it is
    ...And I didn't :)
    outforarun wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB.
    We probably crossed paths at some point today.
    You too, bloody great report! Well done on the PB. You just churn out consistency and it is paying off. And shame that we missed each other, would love to say hello :) Another time!
    Singer wrote: »
    Happy PB and great report! Sounds like a nice race setup there too.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Well done DG - a PB is always a good thing, a PB in a "see where you're at" race is a pleasant surprise in my book! Its always tricky trying to sharpen the mind enough for these
    Thanks D! You're absolutely right and a PB is a Pb is a PB :)
    kildaremum wrote: »
    Well done. Great report and PB. I didn't really appreciate those signs on the hill at 6k as much as you - it was never ending :eek:
    Awww another miss :( Did you have a good run overall? Would loved to have said hello. And thanks :)

log report w/beg Mon 31 Aug

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    45 mins easy + 6x100m strides towards end. Nice easy pace (with hungover brother :pac: ) and on strides felt strangely fluid considering Sunday's exertions.

Wed
    No aqua jog, new routine with kiddie #1 starting school means new routine...with everything :eek: Not looking good finding a slot for this for a while...

Running: unscheduled rest as brother returned to Oz. Lots of wine over dinner :o

Thur
    5-6 miles easy. Stewarding at Fit4Life 5k in local park. May have scolded a boardsie for looking too cheerful at around the halfway point :D

Fri
    3.5 easy with 4x100m strides

Sat
    Blessington Lakes 10k, as reported

Sun
    16 on empty...
    Oh heavens thankfully there won't be too many weekends like this. We were scheduled for 16 easy following yesterday's race. I know the theory re training your legs to run 'on tired' but have been mistrustful and sceptical of this theory. Nothing happened during this run to convince me otherwise :) Tis done anyway...

Four of us met before 8am for this, done and dusted just after 10 so that may have been the only good thing about this run. Ok maybe slight drama queen element here... the legs felt fresh enough up until mile fourish and began to pinch incrementally from then. Much of this (the second two thirds) was done on loops around the grass in our local park. I'd like to say the miles flew by in great company but only half of this sentence is true. By mile 14 I was ready to scream if we were set do do another loop. Luckily we made for the park exit at this stage and home. I have to say I had pretty much emptied the tank not too long after mile 14. Our group broke into two and two with one mile to go (me in the rear group) but myself and my clubmate still managed to surge strongly over the last half mile. Wise or not? Probably not but I think that's what you do when you run in company.
    The pace was also on the faster side of easy for me but sometimes you have to weigh long run company vs solo-doing-your-own-pace.

My heel (underside) is a bit tender after this weekend's work, I wore my racers on Saturday and it took a bit of a pounding. Will be keeping an eye on this and treating it with lots of tlc and some careful icing.

Coffee and cake after, got the week's schedule too; another fairly high mileage week to include a mlr, a tempo on Thursday and another 18 on Sunday, all to be sandwiched with easy runs (incl strides) of an hour. Easy runs of an hour eh, who'da thunk running could be so paradoxical :D

Weekly breakdown 40 or so miles
    5 days running incl
    3 easy runs, 2 with strides
    1 race, PB
    1 ls/mr 16 miles on tired legs

Rehab, DS work done. No proprioception :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Another great run DG - nice report too.

Thanks TJ :)

[QUOTEAwww another miss :( Did you have a good run overall? Would loved to have said hello. And thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Overall I had a good run, just did it the hard way, with the 1st mile too fast. I wanted to run under 48 and I did 47.48 which is a post 50's pb and got me 1st over 55:). I train much better than I race - I tend to forget how old I am and I'm running out of time to rectify that (age wise :eek:)

Fantastic, well done! So I actually saw you on the podium? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Overall I had a good run, just did it the hard way, with the 1st mile too fast. I wanted to run under 48 and I did 47.48 which is a post 50's pb and got me 1st over 55:). I train much better than I race - I tend to forget how old I am and I'm running out of time to rectify that (age wise :eek:)

Fantastic result. Congratulations ! Hope you got a nice prize ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Fantastic result. Congratulations ! Hope you got a nice prize ?

Thanks - yes, lovely prize - a 50 euro voucher for Amphibian King and I need new runners :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

[QUOTEAwww another miss :( Did you have a good run overall? Would loved to have said hello. And thanks :)

Overall I had a good run, just did it the hard way, with the 1st mile too fast. I wanted to run under 48 and I did 47.48 which is a post 50's pb and got me 1st over 55:). I train much better than I race - I tend to forget how old I am and I'm running out of time to rectify that (age wise :eek:)[/QUOTE]

Ah... now I can picture you!! you looked great on the course, like a young wan! :)

log w/beg Mon 7 Sept 2015

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    Plan: 12
    Actual: 105 mins - 30 mins on road and grass, got called away, managed to resume about 45 mins later with another 75 mins. Legs tired enough, glad to be able to do this at my own pace. A few niggles when finished, toe areas niggling as well as heel on left foot.

Wed
    Plan: 60 mins incl strides
    Actual: zilch. Could feel a cold beginning to hit so combined with feeling lethargic, I put the 'addict voice' in a box and took the night off. Good call, I'm proud of myself :D

Thur
    Plan: 10 incl 4 tempo
    Actual: 6 easy
    ... ok so the 'addict voice' tried it on a bit here :o
    I decided to jog to the park to meet with my clubmates by which stage I would be able to gauge how the legs were feeling. Worst case scenario? Try the tempo and drop out or jog four miles around the park and head home after....
    Knew before I reached the park the legs weren't going to co-operate in any shape or form. Was also bloody staaaaarving on the way home :confused: Feed a cold, starve a fever?! Anyway, did that and had an early night.
    Feeling a bit sheepish as pretty sure I haven't helped my immune system over the last few weeks with needless late nights :o I had some signs that all was not well - apart from yawning all the time - skin breaking out etc. Time to invest in some free recovery i.e., sleep...

Fri
    Plan: 45-60 mins easy
    Actual: 3 easy, round trip to physio
    All good here. Had a really thorough session: I had been worried about cracks and aches all around the toe area in both feet, as well as tenderness in the plantar area :eek: Nothing to worry about, all connected to muscle tightness due to recent mileage and all very treatable. Oh yeah, knew there was something else... I had said that I was worried about the toe area being possible early stress fractures (keeping TbL's experiences in mind....) so while he examined both areas very thoroughly, he asked me if I'd ever had a bone density scan. I was able to reply 'yes' to this, and very recently :) After my spotlight stint, a very kind boardsie approached me by PM and suggested that a Dexa (bone density scan) would be a good idea in light of my previous history as a teen. So I did and it was all good. I never would have thought of doing this so a big, big thanks to the boardsie who recommended this.

Good news too in that physio reckons I'm not as tired/knackered as I made out to be :D (mobility and range of motion tests were good, all stable and strong). Had some muscle release 'therapy' in the calves and surprised myself today on how successful focusing on the pain and relaxing into it was.

So not sure about the rest of the weekend. An hour tomorrow and another 18 miler (up Glencree again) was planned. Can't do Glencree anyway cos of physio decree so will play it by ear and if that means no running, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

glad to hear you're listening to your body :) how's the cold now? physio session sounds interesting 'muscle release therapy' is that the same as when they beat the cr*ap out of your calves :D

Firedance wrote: »
    glad to hear you're listening to your body :) how's the cold now? physio session sounds interesting 'muscle release therapy' is that the same as when they beat the cr*ap out of your calves :D

Thanks FD, sort of still there. Waiting to see what it's going to do i.e., hopefully stay in the head!
    Sort of....you know that pressing on the knot bit...so hard it feels like you're cramping?! :eek: ....that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done kildaremum :)
    (always wondered what this lurker was doing racing-wise)

Glad to see DG rehabbed and pushing the limits again.

Glad to see DG rehabbed and pushing the limits again.

(and of course I hope the toes are not hiding the dreaded stress fracture ... but wise to check it out)

(and of course I hope the toes are not hiding the dreaded stress fracture ... but wise to check it out)

Thanks hilly, physio was very thorough, doing all sorts of gentle but firm manipulation of my toes, he seemed very sure it was muscular i.e., tension in the muscle from my calves, through the bottom of the foot and all the way to the big toe. So more stretches to the repertoire :eek:
    How are you getting on? *takes self over to log*

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks hilly, physio was very thorough, doing all sorts of gentle but firm manipulation of my toes, he seemed very sure it was muscular i.e., tension in the muscle from my calves, through the bottom of the foot and all the way to the big toe. So more stretches to the repertoire :eek:

Ah good. So you just need to back off a small bit.
    How are you getting on? *takes self over to log*

Ok ... Am learning to swim! Am going to see the physio Tuesday week, but there is still some discomfort walking so it will probably be too early for the running then. Only a little bit sore tbh, but it was kinda always like that. Would still be hoping for 2nd Oct which is 8 weeks of no running. Was having a read of TbLs stress fracture logs just now and it's nice to see the 6-8 weeks rest worked for someone. Good laugh too :)

Sat
    Rest
    :rolleyes:

Sun
    17/18
    Missed the 8am hill run up Glencree (himself's turn for a night out/lie-on), physio had advised against it anyway until calves and heel loosened out fully. The cold seems to have gone - or at least is on the way out - so I decided to risk a couple of hours after taking the kids swimming.
    Good call really, the rain had stopped by then. Ordinarily, rain wouldn't bother me but I'm pretty sure two hours in the rain with a cold would be a direct invite for said cold to return with a vengeance....

Jogged the 4.5 miles to park, met up with whoopsa for a very enjoyable few k (was it 3 or 4 loops we did?) and carried on the long way home....the very long way actually :) It was mostly intentional, at this stage I knew my head, legs and body felt good so added an extra loop on which stretched the intended 2hours/15 miles to 17 or 18.

All good though, and I have to say I am loving my good old hard-working legs lately. I smiled several times during this evening's run, just for the pure pleasure of being out there running...

Nice enough taper this week, hopefully will leave the legs fresh enough for Charleville. Not sure what to target, the 10k last week was a little disappointing so I think I'll be happy with anything under 1:35 (last/only HM was 12 months ago, 1:41:08).

Weekly total 38 miles incl:
    4 days running = (schedule would have been 6 days running, 55+)

1 mlr
    2 easy
    1ls/mr

DS core ticked, some rehab done, thorough stretching after tonight's lsr incl new stretches. I am slowly - ok painfully slowly - introducing myself to the *joys* of foam rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Heya, Charleville is this weekend?

Glad I read your physio visit. I feel like my big toe needs to be broken and reset so seems I'm not the only one.

aquinn wrote: »
    Heya, Charleville is this weekend?

Glad I read your physio visit. I feel like my big toe needs to be broken and reset so seems I'm not the only one.

Yep, this Sunday :)

My physios (yes plural) and massage therapists are going to love me. I'm going to indulge all my latent - and more active - hypochondriasm now I am a regular runner :D Better safe than sorry is fast becoming my motto AND mantra. Did you see on Krusty's log? So reassuring that he has niggles all.the.time...and is still sane :D

Are you going to physio or just lose sleep over it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

More logs for me to follow! It took all yesterday to catch up from the weekend, sake.

Yes, went to sports therapist last night, ankle wouldn't crack but toe is tight due to foot being tight. So mad to get toes pulled and cracked. Slept amazingly well. He highly recommended Rotterdam marathon so will be drumming up support for an April contingent. Tight QL muscles but nothing major happening thankfully.

All the very best at the weekend.

aquinn wrote: »
    More logs for me to follow! It took all yesterday to catch up from the weekend, sake.

Yes, went to sports therapist last night, ankle wouldn't crack but toe is tight due to foot being tight. So mad to get toes pulled and cracked. Slept amazingly well. He highly recommended Rotterdam marathon so will be drumming up support for an April contingent. Tight QL muscles but nothing major happening thankfully.

All the very best at the weekend.

Aw good and deadly, you'll have us all fired up for Team AQuinn this spring :D Trip to Rotterdam eh.....?

Edit: clearly toe pulling is an effective soporific.....

• Advertisement

log w/beg 14 Sept 2015

Mon 14
    Rest

Tue
    AM: 60-65 mins on road, easy effort and pace - mainly grass incl about 25-30 mins in bare feet.
    Got the ok from physio last week to do the occasional run in bare feet and this is what I did today :) Loved it! Have had the itch all summer to do this but until I was sure of my achilles, it wouldn't have been the best idea.
    Legs were still a bit fatigued from Sunday, but the minute I took off the GTs and sox, the fatigue was instantly lessened. Not 100% of course, but the run was much more pleasant than it otherwise would have been. Had to focus on realigning my body and stride once the shoes were back on, there does seem to be a transition period but awareness is key, I think.
    Stretching etc done post run and throughout the day. New niggle on right knee, about five days old. Felt it particularly after the long run on Sunday when gently swinging my bent leg. More of a tightness than anything so hoping it is muscular/tightness. Will try squeeze in a massage tomorrow*. Somebody put more hours in the day...please!

*booked for tomorrow night

PM
    4 miles recovery jogging to and from a meeting.

Wed
    Plan: 2 mile tempo
    Actual: 4.1km in 16:05, 6 miles total
    Legs felt a bit meh on warm up so wasn't particularly looking forward to this. Transitioned straight into this from warm up, with brief stop only to strip off leggings. Think I got the effort levels - 'comfortably hard' - for this right and was pleasantly surprised with the distance vs time. I did a similar tempo about six months ago where
    A) I was bouncing even on the warm up
    B) I had been doing regular intervals so was much sharper
    C) I wasn't running on tired legs nearly all the time (i.e. base building)

I've been thinking lately about my strengths and weaknesses. Any comments or observations welcome. Faster stuff is definitely one of my strengths. I also have a lot of natural stamina, evident even from comparative stuff I used to do as a teen. This should shore up my endurance as the benefits of this base building block begin to pay dividends, along with the general benefits from my second cycle of running. However, the in-between bit - speed endurance - seems to be my weaker area atm.

So this leads me to target setting this weekend. The tempo 6 months ago was prior to the Leinster's 10 mile where I ran 69:28. This was with cocking up the initial pace (set off at 10k pace and paid for it from mile 4 :eek:)
    I think just over 7m/m for a relatively more comfortable 10 miles - close to 71 mins - is within my grasp if paced more conservatively. And how much of a stretch would it be to hang on for another 3.1 miles....?
    And this in turn leads me to an A goal of sub-93 mins, B goal of 94-96 mins and C goal of PB = sub 1:40.

The recent 18m Glencree run showed me that I can churn out sub 7m/m pace on very tired legs, so pending approval from coachy, my plan of attack ;) may be to start with the 95 pacers and finish strong over the last five miles, using the net downhill in the finishing miles to get as much sub 93 as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

I've been thinking lately about my strengths and weaknesses. Any comments or observations welcome. Faster stuff is definitely one of my strengths. I also have a lot of natural stamina, evident even from comparative stuff I used to do as a teen. This should shore up my endurance as the benefits of this base building block begin to pay dividends, along with the general benefits from my second cycle of running. However, the in-between bit - speed endurance - seems to be my weaker area atm.

Interesting observation. It's something I have felt is the same in my running.

That speed endurance aspect is as much a mental thing (i.e subjecting yourself to sustained pain rather that short bursts or longer more controlled efforts) as physical. How your body deals with the screaming pain of a hard 3k/5k

Just looking back on your training log over the year and I suspect you may find this aspect a little lacking because ,like me, its not something you train too often. Those longer 3k paced or slightly quicker or vO2 max style workouts with a shorter recovery.

Effectively going into a race sensibility of pacing takes over to the point where you don't thread that line between blowing up and just holding on.

It may not be a weakness just an under trained aspect of your running that may improve over the course of your upcoming training cycles

Effectively going into a race sensibility of pacing takes over to the point where you don't thread that line between blowing up and just holding on.

It may not be a weakness just an under trained aspect of your running that may improve over the course of your upcoming training cycles

Thanks for that MS. Definitely, I feel I'm ok up to 5k and then from 10 miles on. That darned 10k.... Can't seem to knuckle down to that "screaming pain" effectively on a 10k... :D

But yes, I'm counting on it being an under-trained aspect more than a long term weakness and as you say, speed endurance-focused sessions haven't really been a consistent aspect of my training.
    The tempo today sort of solidified what I've been thinking. 4k at 4min/km pace was 'easy' compared with the longer tempos I've done this year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

log w/beg 14 Sept 2015

Mon 14
    Rest

Tue
    AM: 60-65 mins on road, easy effort and pace - mainly grass incl about 25-30 mins in bare feet.
    Got the ok from physio last week to do the occasional run in bare feet and this is what I did today :) Loved it! Have had the itch all summer to do this but until I was sure of my achilles, it wouldn't have been the best idea.
    Legs were still a bit fatigued from Sunday, but the minute I took off the GTs and sox, the fatigue was instantly lessened. Not 100% of course, but the run was much more pleasant than it otherwise would have been. Had to focus on realigning my body and stride once the shoes were back on, there does seem to be a transition period but awareness is key, I think.
    Stretching etc done post run and throughout the day. New niggle on right knee, about five days old. Felt it particularly after the long run on Sunday when gently swinging my bent leg. More of a tightness than anything so hoping it is muscular/tightness. Will try squeeze in a massage tomorrow*. Somebody put more hours in the day...please!

*booked for tomorrow night

PM
    4 miles recovery jogging to and from a meeting.

Wed
    Plan: 2 mile tempo
    Actual: 4.1km in 16:05, 6 miles total
    Legs felt a bit meh on warm up so wasn't particularly looking forward to this. Transitioned straight into this from warm up, with brief stop only to strip off leggings. Think I got the effort levels - 'comfortably hard' - for this right and was pleasantly surprised with the distance vs time. I did a similar tempo about six months ago where
    A) I was bouncing even on the warm up
    B) I had been doing regular intervals so was much sharper
    C) I wasn't running on tired legs nearly all the time (i.e. base building)

So this leads me to target setting this weekend. The tempo 6 months ago was prior to the Leinster's 10 mile where I ran 69:28. This was with cocking up the initial pace (set off at 10k pace and paid for it from mile 4 :eek:)
    I think just over 7m/m for a relatively more comfortable 10 miles - close to 71 mins - is within my grasp if paced more conservatively. And how much of a stretch would it be to hang on for another 3.1 miles....?
    And this in turn leads me to an A goal of sub-93 mins, B goal of 94-96 mins and C goal of PB = sub 1:40.

The recent 18m Glencree run showed me that I can churn out sub 7m/m pace on very tired legs, so pending approval from coachy, my plan of attack ;) may be to start with the 95 pacers and finish strong over the last five miles, using the net downhill in the finishing miles to get as much sub 93 as I can.

Two points A,
    - you mentioned 95 mins on the race thread. Glad you feel a 93 is possible. I'd say it's an absolute cert
    - tell me you had something underneath those leggings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

start with the 95 pacers and finish strong over the last five miles, using the net downhill in the finishing miles to get as much sub 93 as I can.

Very similar to my plan if I make it except I'll such with the 95 pacers till mile 10 or so if able and then either crack on or hold on. So A goal of 94, B goal of 95, C goal of not finish in a heap around 1:40-1:45.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi DG, Just wondering if you were timing todays tempo or just running by feel?
    It's just that 4.1k in 16:05 is quite a bit faster than your current 10k pace and by definition your tempo pace.

Maybe it's just a question of practising your actual/current Tempo pace? I'd bet you could hold 6:40-6:50/mile (4:10-4:20/km?) for an hour or more so surely that would be you tempo/LT pace? I think a few sessions honing in on that exact pace and you could look at breaking 1:30 for a half

Two points A,
    - you mentioned 95 mins on the race thread. Glad you feel a 93 is possible. I'd say it's an absolute cert
    - tell me you had something underneath those leggings.....
    Hi B :)
    - Thanks, we'll see on the day. I'm counting on super-steady pacing, to which end I have now recruited a really experienced and rock solid club mate...feels a bit like cheating :o
    - not telling ;):D
    tipping wrote: »
    Very similar to my plan if I make it except I'll such with the 95 pacers till mile 10 or so if able and then either crack on or hold on. So A goal of 94, B goal of 95, C goal of not finish in a heap around 1:40-1:45.
    Hi tipping, yeah we certainly have been quite similar training-wise lately. Good luck! I'll have a Sli Cualann vest on so say hello. Actually I might be wearing a bright pink singlet so that's not gonna help....You're going to have to help me here :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Hi DG, Just wondering if you were timing todays tempo or just running by feel?
    It's just that 4.1k in 16:05 is quite a bit faster than your current 10k pace and by definition your tempo pace.

Maybe it's just a question of practising your actual/current Tempo pace? I'd bet you could hold 6:40-6:50/mile (4:10-4:20/km?) for an hour or more so surely that would be you tempo/LT pace? I think a few sessions honing in on that exact pace and you could look at breaking 1:30 for a half

Aha the eagle eyes of meno ;) Yeah, it was nearer 5k pace. I was a bit naughty; when I saw 'only' two miles on the schedule, I didn't question pace and thought I'd just go at a clip. It was a mix of both time and distance today, I intended to run comfortably hard for 16 mins and that coincided with where I worked out (along the way) where the 4k marker would be. Didn't have any markers along the way so was run by feel.

And I agree with you, I simply haven't had a regular - or consistent - build of tempos to have got the hang of them yet. At the moment, they're probably my least favourite session...and all because I'm not 'good' at them yet :rolleyes:

My recent 10k pace was avg 6:44 I think, so not sure about holding that pace for an hour just yet. 6:50-55 maybe? Hopefully over the winter, I'll get to a stage where 6:40 is comfortable and then, yes, I'll be knocking on the door of that 90 mins....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Just a reminder of the advice you gave me for Athlone last weekend.

"For a HM, you need to be still in control at 9 miles. If you get to nine miles in one piece, you're good to go for the rest of the way. Pick a pace you know you can do comfortably hard for 9 but can still continue for another 4.1"

This worked very well for me last week and for whats its worth i think your A goal is very achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Hi B :)

Hi tipping, yeah we certainly have been quite similar training-wise lately. Good luck! I'll have a Sli Cualann vest on so say hello. Actually I might be wearing a bright pink singlet so that's not gonna help....You're going to have to help me here :D

I'm sure I'll recognize you, I'm expecting smiling, perfect form, no weaving etc..:)
    Anyway I'll be in a Midleton AC singlet, was going to wear my hat but after the slagging the poor guy got on the race thread I'll leave it at home.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Just a reminder of the advice you gave me for Athlone last weekend.

"For a HM, you need to be still in control at 9 miles. If you get to nine miles in one piece, you're good to go for the rest of the way. Pick a pace you know you can do comfortably hard for 9 but can still continue for another 4.1"

This worked very well for me last week and for whats its worth i think your A goal is very achievable.
    Haha are you telling me I have to practise what I preach??!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway :)
    tipping wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll recognize you, I'm expecting smiling, perfect form, no weaving etc..:)
    Anyway I'll be in a Midleton AC singlet, was going to wear my hat but after the slagging the poor guy got on the race thread I'll leave it at home.

Haha that made me laugh. I doubt you'll see any of that towards the end.... or any stage for that matter :o
    Ah gowan wear the hat :D

Thur 17
    3 easy miles trying out new racers for Sunday (Brooks Launch 2).

Brooks%20Launch%202%20Spectrum%20Blue%20Berry%20Blue%20Radience%20-%20Women%20s%20Launch%202%20Indoor%20tennis%20shoes%208439371.jpg

Lots of fiddling with lace and tongue position but think they'll do. It's a bit close to the race but a necessary evil, the Saucony A6's are too light for 13.1 miles ( I do love love love them tho....) and my regular Asics GT 2000 - while good to go for training - are in a bit too much of a jock for racing.

Sports massage:
    Went to my local guy for this, nothing too deep 72 hours pre-race. It was actually very relaxing for the most part :cool:
    He had a look at my knee, nothing mechanical (no in-bending knee when squatting), my hopping skills are grand ;) and no pain with gentle prodding, bending and stretching.
    So hypochondriasm 200, Sane voice of reason, 0

Right ITB and quad received a bit of deeper work here. My left hip and glute medius also needed a bit of a relaxing massage, again nothing too deep in advance of Sunday. Calves, hamstrings and quads all good.

Fri 18
    30 mins easy with 5 x strides. A bit meh, not surprising pre-race and post-massage but got the lacing and tongue position right on shoes.

May shake the legs out tomorrow for 15-20 minutes after the drive to Charleville. I am looking forward to an uninterrupted night's sleep after last night: two wriggly sprogs in the bed from 3am! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

In case I forget in the madness that is likely to be tomorrow...have a super race on Sunday. Enjoy the full night's sleep :D. You're going to have an amazing race. Looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Very best wishes for tomorrow DG. Hope it all goes to plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement