Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I had my VO2Max measured accurately a few years back, as part of a study for someone's PhD in sports science. The number they gave me (48.5 ml/kg/min and a running economy measure of 41.5 ml/kg/min) came with some predicted performance measures that were NOWHERE near my actual ones (and I still haven't come near them.) They did tell me to take the performance predictor with a grain of salt and I didn't think about it ever again (till now). My VDOT at the moment is around 45.5 based on recent racing but I don't understand the relationship either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Murph_D wrote: »
    I had my VO2Max measured accurately a few years back, as part of a study for someone's PhD in sports science. The number they gave me (48.5 ml/kg/min and a running economy measure of 41.5 ml/kg/min) came with some predicted performance measures that were NOWHERE near my actual ones (and I still haven't come near them.) They did tell me to take the performance predictor with a grain of salt and I didn't think about it ever again (till now). My VDOT at the moment is around 45.5 based on recent racing but I don't understand the relationship either!

Well that to me says - simply - you are slacking Murph ;)
    On a serious note, is the V02Max an indicator of your potential + hard hard training and vDot where you are now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Maybe you did what I did with that calculator? I put the minutes into the hours box?? :eek:

Ps look what happens when I go to bed early, can I just say that you guys were up faaaar too late, runners need their rest don't you know?! :D (said with the zeal of the converted ;) )

:-) glad you're feeling super refreshed this morning, it is a great calculator and thanks for educating us all again, we'll have to start paying you soon! (do you accept cake?!) I had never heard of VDOT, interestingly the calculator puts my easy pace slower than the pace under my heart rate calculations, I must have a look at that again.. the other paces are absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

On a serious note, is the V02Max an indicator of your potential + hard hard training and vDot where you are now?

Yes, I *think* the performance predictor was based on what might be expected for a very well trained athlete with that physiological capacity, taking age into account too. It was 3:15 marathon, 20:28 5k, both of which I am still well away from, 2.5 years later (just dug the numbers up again out of curiosity!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Firedance wrote: »
    :-) glad you're feeling super refreshed this morning, it is a great calculator and thanks for educating us all again, we'll have to start paying you soon! (do you accept cake?!) I had never heard of VDOT, interestingly the calculator puts my easy pace slower than the pace under my heart rate calculations, I must have a look at that again.. the other paces are absolutely spot on.

Yep same for me. Mind you I have been running easy pace at the top end of the range. Maybe time to pull back a bit?

Hey DG your log is so informative! Just realised the progressive stretching thing I have been doing for ages is this AIS that's all over here! I guess that means I vouch for it as haven't had a niggle for yonks :D

Sorry to hear about the illness issues, sounds like you're in good hands though and taking a sensible approach. Its a real balancing act :)

• Advertisement

Haha thanks FD, yeah I deal in all the usual currencies...cake, wine, chocolate ;) Interesting about the paces too. Do you use a range for each pace? Ex 9-9:30 for x pace, 8:20-9 for xy pace and 9:30+ for xyz pace? In feely language I say 'lower end of easy pace, easy pace and higher end of easy pace' then 'lower steady, steady and higher-steady and then there's 'lower-hard, hard and upper-hard/balls out'. You can tell I graduated from the A+, A, A- leaving cert class ;):D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Yes, I *think* the performance predictor was based on what might be expected for a very well trained athlete with that physiological capacity, taking age into account too. It was 3:15 marathon, 20:28 5k, both of which I am still well away from, 2.5 years later (just dug the numbers up again out of curiosity!)
    Yes, but you're moving there steadily and consistently. This is the best long consistent block you've had to date as well I gather?
    Runchick wrote: »
    Yep same for me. Mind you I have been running easy pace at the top end of the range. Maybe time to pull back a bit?

Hey DG your log is so informative! Just realised the progressive stretching thing I have been doing for ages is this AIS that's all over here! I guess that means I vouch for it as haven't had a niggle for yonks :D

Sorry to hear about the illness issues, sounds like you're in good hands though and taking a sensible approach. Its a real balancing act :)
    Hi Runchick, thanks :) I seem to get all sorts here ;) On a serious note, I really appreciate all the knowledge sharing.
    Re your easy pace, no harm in mixing it up across the whole range, depending on what you did the day before. I read a very interesting article recently by James Dunne (no, we're not getting back together). He says - and I've noticed this myself - that it can be easier to injure yourself when running too slowly as we tend to become lazy with our form. I'll try dig out the reference, think I saw it on my FB feed. Your easy pace might be changing too as your fitness increases.
    And yes, this latest bout of illness has given me a reality check. Early beds and wholesome living for me now (balanced with the occasional bottle of vino ;) )...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

You can tell I graduated from the A+, A, A- leaving cert class ;):D

Do they not do that anymore ? God I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

In feely language I say 'lower end of easy pace, easy pace and higher end of easy pace' then 'lower steady, steady and higher-steady and then there's 'lower-hard, hard and upper-hard/eyeballs out'.

FYP :pac::pac::pac:

Are ya plannin to give the F4L 1M a crack tonight?

wrstan wrote: »
    FYP :pac::pac::pac:

Are ya plannin to give the F4L 1M a crack tonight?

:o oops! :o Thanks :)
    No, I'm going to give the (all by 100m) shorter distance a crack tomorrow instead. I have to be there anyway tomorrow to pick up a medal so that swung it really...See you tomorrow if you're around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Not quite DG. Vo2max is a small part of performance and future prediction. It has to be put together with running economy, Lactate threshold, aerobic capacity to get the full picture. Vo2max alone cannot give a performance prediction because it is so wildly varying. Using Vo2max alone to measure performance would be akin to using height as a measure of a basketballers performance. Height helps greatly but if they've got no coordination, they're not going to be dropping 3 pointers. That's an exaggerated situation but I hope it gets the point across. Vo2max is only a small part in the bigger picture.

Murph, there is no relationship between Vo2max and vdot. Vdot is like a grade, if you run this time, you get a certain number to quantify it. Now, say 2 people get the same vdot number, that does not mean they have the same Vo2 max because other physiological traits come into play like running economy and Lactate threshold which can also greatly vary.

Vdot is a grade of current performance. It's an number to quantify race times and not a physiological measure

Vo2max is a just a physiological measure of oxygen uptake per KG and on it's own, it cannot predict performance or be used to grade race times.

• Advertisement

Thanks NE, knew I could rely on you :) Thanks for taking the time to clarify, appreciate it!

Wed 29
    Rest, some stretching and gentle strengthening routine

Thur 30
    5 miles easy easy running incl 3x30 sec strides and 3x100m strides in prep for tomorrow's County ch'ship 1500.

This race is, essentially, in place of a session and its purpose is to loosen the legs out for the Leinster 3k ch'ships on Monday.
    The throat and cold are clearing nicely (somethin's working!), plenty of rest and my pharmaceutical haul etc seems to be doing the trick but if the weather is foul, I'll 90% certainly pull out and save myself for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Wed 29
    Rest, some stretching and gentle strengthening routine

Thur 30
    5 miles easy easy running incl 3x30 sec strides and 3x100m strides in prep for tomorrow's County ch'ship 1500.

This race is, essentially, in place of a session and its purpose is to loosen the legs out for the Leinster 3k ch'ships on Monday.
    The throat and cold are clearing nicely (somethin's working!), plenty of rest and my pharmaceutical haul etc seems to be doing the trick but if the weather is foul, I'll 90% certainly pull out and save myself for Monday.

Define foul weather :).....

I'm guessing it will be any weather that is worse than the conditions tomorrow ;)

Define foul weather :).....

I'm guessing it will be any weather that is worse than the conditions tomorrow ;)

I don't lace up the spikes for anything less than a Mediterranean-style balmy evening :D First track race in 23 years :eek:
    Just checked your forecast again for tomorrow...not looking good, is it?!

I don't lace up the spikes for anything less than a Mediterranean-style balmy evening :D

It's not far off the Med in D.3 anyway. Best of luck !!!

Wicklow County T&F Championships 1500m: 1st in 5:11.2

All week, I looked forward to this race with excitement. 1991 was the last time I raced on the track but it felt like I was meeting up with an old friend. Me, a bit a lot older and slower, the track still young and springy :rolleyes:

I got there in what I thought was plenty of time only to find that the order of business was a lot faster. Me 'so how long, half an hour, an hour?' Steward 'half an hour, tops' :eek: Bang goes a leisurely 55 minute warm up methinks.

I managed to squeeze in a 20 minute or so jog and returned to find our race was practically lining up. 'What' I says, 'they can't start now, I haven't done my strides!!'. Guess what....

To add insult to injury, my worst fear was confirmed: juniors, seniors and masters were to run in a single race, bloody springy juniors on the bloody springy track...grrrr
    (I also saw the athlete I referred to in my last race report...the steamer-past-me in the recent county 5k) 'Ger-reat' I says to myself.

Off we went (I think the starter was talking to me when he paused and said 'you can't do that' - my knee was trembling so much it looked like I was moving...)
    And I used up my bit of creatine which found me in fifth place, behind four juniors.

I really can't tell you much more, it's all a blur except probably early in the second lap, I decided two of the juniors were settling down too much so I passed them. Asked myself what the f was I doing but once you do that, there's no turning back so I must have done all the usual stuff, settling down, form check, breathing check, panic...chuck out...(that was at 800m and I heard the starter call out 2:45 for 800m :cool:)

Third lap, still feeling strong, hurting but strong, psyching up to the last lap, surprised to find still in the same position, even closing on second (she was at least 40-50m ahead). I was probably not increasing the pace throughout the race, increased effort maintained the pace but when I heard 4:13 or something at 1200m, I knew my A***** goal was within reach (5:15). I put the foot down up the back straight...actually both feet and with about 200m to go I heard breathing behind me. I *knew* it was steamer but she was not going to get me without a fight and I knew 150m to go is a decisive point, psychologically if you are chasing. It worked anyway, along with tilting my elbows back and leaning forward...cos she didn't get me :D

I. Am. Buzzing. Track, I love you!!

Ps don't want to put a dampener on this but I have to be honest. A 42 year old should not be winning a senior county track medal, I know that. It's a shame, there seems to be a gap at the moment in between junior/juvenile and master level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great performance again DG, you have every right to be buzzing, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

incredible stuff, well done again!

Awesome! You'll be needing a (bigger) trophy cabinet shortly for all the bling. Well done. That 3K is looking good for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Fantastic - there's no stopping you ! Well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

just wow, fantastic result, excellent report! congrats :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Super stuff :D You are on fire!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

wow - congratulations DG, impressive stuff!

tang1 wrote: »
    Great performance again DG, you have every right to be buzzing, well done.
    incredible stuff, well done again!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Awesome! You'll be needing a (bigger) trophy cabinet shortly for all the bling. Well done. That 3K is looking good for Monday.
    kit3 wrote: »
    Fantastic - there's no stopping you ! Well done
    just wow, fantastic result, excellent report! congrats :-)
    Super stuff :D You are on fire!!!!!
    Duanington wrote: »
    wow - congratulations DG, impressive stuff!

Thanks everybody, very much appreciated! (I know it's 11pm but I gave myself a curfew extension, the night that's in it and all ;) )

FTR:
    Splits were (from starter at 1500 start point): 88/89; 2:45; 4:13/14; 5:11.2

Splitcalc gives my overall split average at:

Split Dist Time
    1 400 meters 1 min 22.93 sec
    2 800 meters 2 min 45.86 sec
    3 1200 meters 4 min 8.8 sec
    4 1500 meters 5 min 11 sec

My brain is too fuzzy now, I'll work out some sort of comparative analysis...tomorrow :) night night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's an insane performance , well done...Well have drinks after terenure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Brilliant, well done....

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Great racing DG! And love the report!
    Ya can't beat the feeling of running fast on a track, and looks like ya really nailed it!
    Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Amazing! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done DG, congrats on the win. Hope you're feeling better too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Impressive stuff! Well done DG!

Advertisement