Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I really can't tell you much more, it's all a blur except probably early in the second lap, I decided two of the juniors were settling down too much so I passed them. Asked myself what the f was I doing but once you do that, there's no turning back so I must have done all the usual stuff, settling down, form check, breathing check, panic...chuck out...(that was at 800m and I heard the starter call out 2:45 for 800m :cool:)

Congrats again on 2 great races and don't forget the table for that 800m time! That's an official split yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Fabulous running DG, it's great to see you, and the team doing so well, but mostly you seem to be having such a blast at the moment which is really great to see! Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

yaboya1 wrote: »
    More medals??
    I'd love to pretend I'm surprised......:P
    Well done

p.s. Do us a favour and throw in a sh*t race or two like the rest of us, just so we know you're human ;)
    Thanks P :) would it help if I said this wasn't my *best* race?! It was hard work and the legs never really hit a rhythm...
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ba bling, ba bling :D Nice haul! Well done on a very productive bank holiday :) Feet up now. And bed by 10 ;)
    Thanks BG, gave myself another curfew extension ;) back to the regime now :)
    Well done DG! Another cracking performance and well deserved!:)
    Thanks NE sorry things didn't go well for you yesterday....
    nop98 wrote: »
    Super stuff, as usual. :) Feels like only yesterday when typing that last, oh, hang on, it was!!! :)
    Haha thanks N :) plenty if rest now, no race for another two weeks :)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Congrats again on 2 great races and don't forget the table for that 800m time! That's an official split yes?
    Thanks Os, yeah I might stick that up there as I don't think I'll be doing a standalone effort anytime soon :(
    wrstan wrote: »
    Fabulous running DG, it's great to see you, and the team doing so well, but mostly you seem to be having such a blast at the moment which is really great to see! Well done!
    Thank you! Yes, we all went home happy yesterday :) and yes, I am so glad I have this second wind....

Fri 1
    Wicklow County T&F championships, 1500m 1st, senior race in 5:11.2 - see race report
    T: 4.25mi

Sat 2
    Rest

Sun 3
    4 mi easy jogging incl 5x100m strides (pre-race prep)

Weekly total 27.5
    5 running days incl:
    1x race
    1x medium long run
    1x form drill session
    2x race prep days incl strides

Mon 4
    Race Report: Leinster Masters Road 3k championships, Gowran Co Kilkenny

6th overall, 3rd o/40 and second scorer on both county and club teams (both silver medal) time 11:38

I had looked at last years results for this and felt that a top 10 finish was possible...just. The club captain drove myself and a clubmate down. He explained the course: roughly triangular, two laps which took in a long drag of approximately 700m, ending about 100m before the turn for the home straight (another 130m or so). We arrived early and walked around the course, sure enough a sticky and steep enough drag...We discussed tactics i.e. that on cresting the drag on the second lap, we should break with about 230m to go, tough for us but also tough for whoever might be on our shoulders :eek:

Usual warm up of 2mi + and 4x100m strides and drills. The two novice races seemed to be a few minutes late starting but ours was called to the start early, luckily I felt warmed up enough, unlike Friday's track race :)

Off we went and I must have thought I was on the track again as I used up my creatine and settled into fifth place. I questioned the wisdom of this and pulled back a little while doing a general overall check, legs, breathing, settling etc and decided to stay with the leading group anyway (maybe eight of us, not sure because I didn't look over my shoulder but could hear at least two behind).

I'm not going to lie, it was a tough, tough race. I never felt I really hit a flowing stride. FTR, Aunty Flo - (TM) Firedance - was on her third day visiting and while I don't think this made an absolute difference in terms of pace or place, it may have made the effort required that bit harder. This is the gold value of training logs as I have been able to look back over the last few months and pinpoint an off day each month to this time. At least I didn't have to stop and walk like I did on a training run a couple of months ago :D And if that's the worst it's going to affect me during a race, I'll go with it :)

I did however get passed early on in the second lap. I worked to keep her in my sights with a view to taking her at the finish but ye goddesses, the second time on the hill sapped me. I crested the hill and summoned up a surge (I could also hear 'M' being cheered hot on my heels) but *postponed* the final sprint until we turned a sharp corner for the final 100m+. I could hear 'M' being cheered still and could practically feel her breath but I got there and kept my sixth place overall :D

The results were a bit nail biting: I had thought I was 7th overall so wasn't too sure at all about the o/40 placings. It was a huge and very pleasant surprise to hear my name being called out for bronze. My clubmate finished a fantastic third overall and second o/40. Our third Sli Cualann member had a really strong run too to finish 11th overall, putting us in the silver medal category for both club and county team awards. The 4yo's jaw did a very satisfying drop when I got home.

We both had a chat with the inspirational Emilia Dan after the race. She was full of encouragement and advocated an approach of 'no limits to what you can achieve'. She has been running only four years (she started running because she was *does this gorgeous expressive continental gesture indicating overweight* :) )and just recently moved into the o/45 category. Her favourite distance is 10 miles and in the last four years she has achieved a PB of 62:xx at this distance and consistently runs 64-66 minutes.

T incl w/u and c/d 6.5mi

Tue 5
    Recovery 2 miles. Felt this. Urgh.
    Time also for a visit to the Walkinstown clinic for a loosen out and tune up. My body is starting to complain about the hard schedule recently, quite rightly too. No race for two weeks anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Emilia is a great character, always has time for a chat after the race.
    Did she show you her Garmin ;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

menoscemo wrote: »

she's also a great inspiration and soley responsible for our clubs massive turnout at the recent M&T race.

well done again, I love your race reports, almost feels like we're running along side you :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, very nice report also. No stopping you at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    almost feels like we're running along side you :D

Ha ha, likely to be the only time any of us could keep up with her!

Ha ha, likely to be the only time any of us could keep up with her!

Haha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Woman, you are unreal. Last time I was here you were sick. Since you've more medals, glory and PB's. Incredible. Well done. 2 super races and times to make one puke looking at. Massive congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well DG on your latest title & bling - great stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've run out of congratulatory remarks, so maith thú.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    Woman, you are unreal. Last time I was here you were sick. Since you've more medals, glory and PB's. Incredible. Well done. 2 super races and times to make one puke looking at. Massive congratulations.

Aquinn, you have such a way with words :pac:

I've heard of people puking while running, but while reading reports... :pac::pac:

No, is she a stat head?! Ah well, everybody has feet of clay...in her case it's a tiny toenail so ;)
    Firedance wrote: »
    she's also a great inspiration and soley responsible for our clubs massive turnout at the recent M&T race.

well done again, I love your race reports, almost feels like we're running along side you :D
    She really is fab isn't she?! And thanks for the kind words :)
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done, very nice report also. No stopping you at the moment.
    Ah thanks Adrian :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    Haha thanks A, not bad going yourself lately. Dark horse methinks ;)
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Well DG on your latest title & bling - great stuff :D
    Thanks Bulmers. Flying yourself!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    I've run out of congratulatory remarks, so maith thú.
    GRMA :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Aquinn, you have such a way with words :pac:

I've heard of people puking while running, but while reading reports... :pac::pac:

She has hasn't she :D:D
    Thanks again everybody, sorry for the delay replying, I'm having a quiet week here :)

Wed 6
    43 mins easy (about 5 miles) blegh, hip etc quite tight, had to concentrate on keeping relaxed and holding form. Still wrecked from the two races (and the rest)...unsurprisingly.

Thur 6
    AM visit to Walkinstown for some torture and release. It wasn't too bad really but felt a bit tender and bruised in the evening :eek:

PM 10k steady, better than the last two days but not feeling 'clear' and 'strong' yet so recovery still underway.
    On the plus side, going to give track a focus after the WMM with a view to peaking for the national masters at the end of July. Didn't realised how much I wanted this til we included it in the overall plan :D

Fri 7
    Rest
    . Wrecked.com today so with the rain added to the equation, my sensible head ruled and decreed a rest. I may do a full strength and mobility session...or I may hit the sack....

Other news, my dad is walking the Wicklow Way in a few weeks to raise money for his local cancer support group. Here's a link to his mycharity page, he's a km guy as you will see :rolleyes:

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/william_smiths_event/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No, is she a stat head?! Ah well, everybody has feet of clay...in her case it's a tiny toenail so ;)

No, quite the opposite. I was chatting to her after the Raheny 10 mile and *pointing to my garmin* said she must have went out really fast as I logged a 6:10 first mile and she was well ahead.

She pointed out the little gold jewellery watch on her wrist (which doesn't even a have seconds hand) and explained it doesn't record her splits too well!

No, quite the opposite. I was chatting to her after the Raheny 10 mile and *pointing to my garmin* said she must have went out really fast as I logged a 6:10 first mile and she was well ahead.

She pointed out the little gold jewellery watch on her wrist (which doesn't even a have seconds hand) and explained it doesn't record her splits too well!

Get that toenail back on the pedestal Emilia ;):D I knew my inspiration couldn't be a stat head :rolleyes:

Sat 8

Pyramid on undulating Tarmac park
    400, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 400 :eek:
    Off two min rec (actual: continuous jog the shortest way back to start of 1k loop we were using)

| 1|2
    400|1:29*|1:20
    800|2:55|2:54
    1200|4:37|4:33
    * 1:29 but without an invisible lead on doggy altercation probably closer to 1:26

This was a tough session and nearly demoralising as the two I was doing the session with were up to ten seconds ahead on a couple of the longer reps. But when I checked my own times I copped myself on and told myself I was still having a strong session. Indeed, on the first 800 I heard a young kid tell his mam that 'they're running very fast mammy' which was a boost, thanks kid :D Another mammy on the first 1200 rep told her child that she 'thought we were having a race' (hehe I was in 'last position'). As the session progressed, I managed - with plenty of wand waving - to keep my splits consistent and as the reps decreased again, the gap ahead narrowed which suggests speed is a strength at the moment...and speed endurance needs work :eek:

Total including warm up and cool down 9.5

Planned recovery 10k later which will bring the week's total to 35 or close enough
    Breakdown:
    6 days running
    1 race
    1 quality session
    3 easy/recovery days
    1 steady run
    Core and strength/mobility: reasonable effort, could do better :o

Mon 11
    Rest

Tue 12
    400m track tune up session in advance of Terenure 5mi
    Target: 4-6 400m @ 82 seconds with 400 cont jog rec
    We decided on 5 :)

W/u + 4x100m strides (didn't feel great on the strides)

This session was a result on a few levels. There were just two of us doing it and we agreed to focus on attempting to hit the pace from the outset, unlike previous 400 sessions where the initial target pace has been a bit hit and miss.

The first three were perfectly paced; 40.xx at 400 and 81.xx at finish, all within .5 of a second of each other. So we finally have 'the feel' for this pace :D :cool:
    Another positive was that the session was hard but controlled without the presence of lactic build up caused perhaps by too fast pacing.
    The next two were faster (but that is a good thing IMO): #4 was still 40.xx at 200m but finished at 80.xx. The final one was 'blastoff' - didn't check at 200m - and came in at 78.xx

81.x
    81.x
    81.x
    80.x
    78.x

Total incl c/d 6.5mi

So all in all, a hard but controlled session in very gusty conditions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nice session, were using your watch/stopwatch for this or was someone standing on the sideline with a watch?

• Advertisement

Nice session, were using your watch/stopwatch for this or was someone standing on the sideline with a watch?

I used my Lidl's finest €7.99 stopwatch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I've had one of those for the last 4 years - still going strong :)

Ok just wondering on the very exact timings? I guess you cross the line, then hit the lap button, giving a slight delay by the time the watch is stopped.

So you are probably even faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Super session. Splits I can only dream of...

Would that be roughly mile pace or a bit faster ?

kit3 wrote: »
    I've had one of those for the last 4 years - still going strong :)
    Hopefully I'll outlast it ;)
    Ok just wondering on the very exact timings? I guess you cross the line, then hit the lap button, giving a slight delay by the time the watch is stopped.

Possibly but not much. I am very accurate with a watch for a feely runner :D The consistency was the main thing today.
    Super session. Splits I can only dream of...

Would that be roughly mile pace or a bit faster ?

Thanks BG, I think my 1500 pace (going from the last 1500) is around 83 so yes, around mile pace. Saying that, you know my next 1500 target is sub 5 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Not wanting to be a party pooper. Honestly :). You'll generally find that hand timed splits are 0.2-0.3 seconds too quick. Think it has something to do with your anticipation as you cross the line. You just can't help pressing that button too early. Seems to hold true for any time I have hand timed myself in an officially timed race.

Still a pretty good session I guess ;)

Yeah, think I read that on here before. I generally round up to the nearest second anyway as it's not crucial to the sessions that I do but I would imagine that even someone else standing on the side of the track would do a better job than you would do yourself.(even though obviously that is also hand timed).

Not wanting to be a party pooper. Honestly :). You'll generally find that hand timed splits are 0.2-0.3 seconds too quick. Think it has something to do with your anticipation as you cross the line. You just can't help pressing that button too early. Seems to hold true for any time I have hand timed myself in an officially timed race.

Still a pretty good session I guess ;)

I can live with that, consistently fast or consistently slow, consistency wins the day :)
    The reason I am so pleased with this session is that we (more or less) actually hit the session pace throughout instead of previous sessions where we have hared off, slowed until the mid-way session point and then each rep has got faster. Those sessions have had their merits but IMO, this one has more even tho the average split was slower. Make sense?
    Fwiw, coachy doesn't stress or over-analyse session splits. I get the feeling he lets the racing do the talking. That might change if/when I start more specific 1500 work next month....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Yeah, think I read that on here before. I generally round up to the nearest second anyway as it's not crucial to the sessions that I do but I would imagine that even someone else standing on the side of the track would do a better job than you would do yourself.(even though obviously that is also hand timed).

I think it's important not to get too OCD about workout splits Adrian. It's just a workout at the end of the day and training is a place to get used to pacing and finding an effort level. I find if you get too caught up in running exact splits, your more likely to run the workout too fast or on rare occasions, too slow. Plus, it can kill the enjoyment and relaxation in a workout and makes things mentally intense.

Good form, relaxed and a clear head are the best way to run a workout. There's a lot to be said for the tuning the ol body clock. Splits are a good thing to have to record for reference but I wouldn't get caught up in a few seconds here and there. The body has different moods everyday and first things first, the effort is king and the splits are for reflection to see if and where you are improving or tired or not tired enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I think it's important not to get too OCD about workout splits Adrian. It's just a workout at the end of the day and training is a place to get used to pacing and finding an effort level. I find if you get too caught up in running exact splits, your more likely to run the workout too fast or on rare occasions, too slow. Plus, it can kill the enjoyment and relaxation in a workout and makes things mentally intense.

Good form, relaxed and a clear head are the best way to run a workout. There's a lot to be said for the tuning the ol body clock. Splits are a good thing to have to record for reference but I wouldn't get caught up in a few seconds here and there. The body has different moods everyday and first things first, the effort is king and the splits are for reflection to see if and where you are improving or tired or not tired enough.

I am going to read this post before every session from now on! :)

...not that I would be fretting about fractions of a second :eek:

Advertisement