Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I am going to apologise in advance for the next few weeks...logs are going to go unread methinks thanks to the new role over on the novices thread :eek: So until things settle down (don't say after Monday 26th October!!) apologies, I am not ignoring you and good luck and congratulations in advance for every race in the next week or so ;) Thank you so much for posting your support, ye made me feel all warm. Really appreciated!

Wednesday 13 May
    10k rec/easy run. What a gorgeous evening! Ran my favourite route which brings me round the side of Bray Head to see the gorgeous spread of bay to Dalkey. Just beautiful. Felt ok too :) Arrived back to find the kids out playing with Himself. I was wearing more summery running gear, shades and my newly-cut hair loose...the 2yo checked with dad first 'is that mammy?' before he ran to hug me :eek:

Thursday 14 May
    40-50 minutes Easy running at the club session...bit stop and start so a bit meh, legs not really bouncy. Cycled there and back.

Will do an easy run and full stride and drill session tomorrow. Rest Saturday, race Sunday. Hoping to see 32:1x there, maybe even 31.5x.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

good luck Sunday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

how could you abandon us for those pesky novices :p good luck Sunday, hope to see you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

good luck on Sunday, is there a chance of adding to the medal collection :) best of luck with the novice thread too, they are in super hands over there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck Sunday, should be a good indication for how you are fixed for a sub 40 next month! Low 30's this weekend I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

See you Sunday, don't forget to remind the novices all training and logging in miles :D

A perfect candidate to mentor this year. Enjoy it, off to a super start.

good luck Sunday...
    Thanks Barry, running yourself?
    annapr wrote: »
    how could you abandon us for those pesky novices :p good luck Sunday, hope to see you there!
    Ah...never! They/we just need a little hand holding for a week or so :) Thanks, good luck yourself and see you there!
    Firedance wrote: »
    good luck on Sunday, is there a chance of adding to the medal collection :) best of luck with the novice thread too, they are in super hands over there.
    Thanks FD, no medals we were going for hard cash in the team prizes but a couple of drop outs mean our pockets might stay empty :D and thanks, see you Sunday?
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday, should be a good indication for how you are fixed for a sub 40 next month! Low 30's this weekend I think.
    Thanks Adrian. My 5k splits gave me 6:16.1 m/m avg so going to aim for 6:22 splits on Sunday :eek:
    aquinn wrote: »
    See you Sunday, don't forget to remind the novices all training and logging in miles :D

A perfect candidate to mentor this year. Enjoy it, off to a super start.
    Thanks AQ absolutely! They may enter kms as a footnote only ;) see you Sunday, best of the best to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks Barry, running yourself?!

Nah, had it in as a possibility at the start of the year but have to give it a miss.
    WW relay in a few weeks then nothing till July.....

Thanks FD, no medals we were going for hard cash in the team prizes but a couple of drop outs mean our pockets might stay empty :D and thanks, see you Sunday?

cash is good! possibly, I won't be running but I may go along to support although I have to fit in 11 miles at some stage too :-)

Nah, had it in as a possibility at the start of the year but have to give it a miss.
    WW relay in a few weeks then nothing till July.....
    Oh yeah, forgot...you're doing the slackers leg aren't you ;)
    cash is good! possibly, I won't be running but I may go along to support although I have to fit in 11 miles at some stage too :-)

Ah be good to see you...you know a warm up + five mile race + cool down = 11 miles? ;)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, forgot...you're doing the slackers leg aren't you ;)

Ah be good to see you...you know a warm up + five mile race easy run + cool down = 11 miles? ;)

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope to meet you at last!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow. Hope to meet you at last!

Thanks chickey, it would be great to put a face to a name :) I'll be wearing a navy and orange singlet during the race and a purple t shirt w/u and c/d...fwiw :D We have boardsies in common so it should work out. Good luck!

Terenure 5 Mile: 33:24 (PB by 4 seconds)
    A sufferfest throughout but it has to be said, a self-inflicted sufferfest. The plan was to go off conservatively; the pa recommended 6:30 for the first mile and progress from there. So...I actually thought I started conservatively but a glance just after the 1 mile mark told me I am pants at pace judgement...6:09 :eek:

From then on in it got worse. It was pure misery. Mile2: 6:40 so a huge drop in pace... About half way through I felt like my head resembled a boiled tomato. Three THREE ladies passed me just after mile 3 and I couldn't do anything except let them go...then to add insult to injury, a Donore lady trotted past unchallenged. In short, today there was no racing, just maintenance.

I am actually quite pee'd off with myself. I hadn't realised my pace judgement was quite so off. Myself and another clubmate had a very similar race experience and coachy suggested that the course lended itself to a faster first mile and combined with our faster track stuff recently meant that our pace judgement suffered today. I'll add my take to that, I have speed at the moment but not the endurance to back up a too-fast start.

Everything hurt today because of that too fast first mile, mentally and physically. The slightest twinge would have given me an excuse to drop out but luckily (I think) Tunguska's pain management came to the fore.

Final confession: my first - coherent - thought on completing today was 'I really could have done with a GARMIN today for the first km'. There. I've said it.*

On the plus side, on the way through the finishing chute I was randomly handed a clutch bag full of make up. Anyone else get one of these??

Seeing the usual crew, Meno, Laura, BG, Firedance, Anna, Adrian, AQuinn and Murph after and also meeting Chickey more than made up for the disappointment of today. Also got to meet Mrs Mc, FBOT and Ferris B which added to it as well but y'know...the bag and make up was the first to put the smile back on my face ;)

Really well organised race, absolutely seamless so thank you Sportsworld and all the volunteers. Timothy's 29:06 was absolutely bloody amazing and best of luck to you in Mexico, you deserve the very very best.

15th woman overall and a surprising third over 40 so not a complete disaster. Not sure of team results yet.
    What can I say, you live and learn...onwards and upwards and all the usual stuff :)

T incl w/u and c/d 9 miles

*let it be known that if I didn't confess here, the garminaters were lining up to confess on my behalf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I know it's not at all what you wanted but it's still a very good run.

And you need the odd bad day to make the good days better :)

I know it's not at all what you wanted but it's still a very good run.

And you need the odd bad day to make the good days better :)

Thanks CM. It's a all learning curve and I just happened to ride the steep side today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yeah it's a funny one that first mile.
    The visually impared runner I went with went off way too fast too (and faded worse than you fwiw). He swore blind he would go off at no faster than 6;30 so when I told him we went through 1 mile in 6:12 he was shocked!! Although it doesn't take much out of the lungs it definitely zaps the legs. I'd say it's a pretty common mistake on that course.

Anyway I would agree that it's the one good use of a Garmin in a race. I normally like to have a glance at the pace at 1/4 mile and then again at 1/2 mile just to reign myself in if the pace is too hot.

Thanks meno. It's just something another thing to work on. Glad I made this mistake now and not in the WMM. May revise my target for that but am definitely going to run a counter-intuitive (for me) race and Go. Out. Slow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks meno. It's just something another thing to work on. Glad I made this mistake now and not in the WMM. May revise my target for that but am definitely going to run a counter-intuitive (for me) race and Go. Out. Slow. :D

That's another course where it's easy to go out fast, I think the start is very flat if not downhill.
    Claralara told me last year she was on 5:4x pace after half a mile (following girls who would normally be at her level) and then faded badly to finish over 40.
    My best 10k I went out deliberately slow and ended up with a 20 second negative split. If you are a little behind your target at 5k you can still get it all back if you have it in you but if you go out too fast it's game over.

I think it's definitely worth reigning in your racing instincts at the start.

Absolutely. It's something that needs to be trained as well isn't it, i.e. pace discipline...

• Advertisement

I know you're disappointed A but its still a pb & 3rd lady in your category so well done! By all accounts it was not as easy as the marketing made it sound.

The garminites will leave you be for a while but if you could get a loan of one for WMM you should. Great to catch up again :)

Was just dropping in here to out your garmin envy but I see you confessed :D Next thing you'll be switching to Km, ok, maybe not.

You are one of the very few people I've ever come across who after a race started with 'it was terrible, I did really badly... and ended up with ...but i got a pb'

No doubt you will use the learning here to your advantage in future. And well done on the great time and placing (from my lowly perspective)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey DG you know its actually very heartening to read that you - with all your race experience and speed - can have a bad day at the office (pretty great run actually but not what you were hoping for of course). Makes the good days even better I reckon :D

I know you're disappointed A but its still a pb & 3rd lady in your category so well done! By all accounts it was not as easy as the marketing made it sound.

The garminites will leave you be for a while but if you could get a loan of one for WMM you should. Great to catch up again :)
    Thanks AM :) I know, I do appreciate - really - a PB on a bad day...I'm still wondering if I can stabilise my starting pace without *props* but at the same time I'm thinking 'what have I to lose' by giving a garmin another try...:rolleyes: especially as today's run has taken the pressure off for a sub-40 attempt (put back to dunshaughlin).
    annapr wrote: »
    Was just dropping in here to out your garmin envy but I see you confessed :D Next thing you'll be switching to Km, ok, maybe not.

You are one of the very few people I've ever come across who after a race started with 'it was terrible, I did really badly... and ended up with ...but i got a pb'

No doubt you will use the learning here to your advantage in future. And well done on the great time and placing (from my lowly perspective)!
    Haha Anna, and thanks! ...see above to AM. It was just so bloody painful today! Dishearteningly painful...anyway it's done now :) You may actually see some km lingo as I attempt to crack this 10k business...but don't go holding your breath ;). Again, really delighted to see your great race today!
    Runchick wrote: »
    Hey DG you know its actually very heartening to read that you - with all your race experience and speed - can have a bad day at the office (pretty great run actually but not what you were hoping for of course). Makes the good days even better I reckon :D

Hehe thanks Runchick, you're right and it's good to have to reassess every so often. Onwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done on the category placing - did you get a prize ? Tough out there today for sure but always something to be learned from a race that doesn't go exactly to plan. Hope to be out cheering for the Mini so see you then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I don't think you need a Garmin. I mean get one if you wanna check it out but I think all you need do is go off at the start of a race (the exception being 5k and below) at a handy clip. Don't be working hard at all, relax and just wind it up gradually during that first mile so that by the time you hit the first Mile marker you're at a pace that you know by feel is your race pace. Just be cool, keep your head, don't get caught up in the madness and do your own thing. Yiu'll catch them all very quickly and by starting easy you save enough in the tank for the finish. Better to have a slow start with a strong finish than a fast start and no finish at all.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done on the category placing - did you get a prize ? Tough out there today for sure but always something to be learned from a race that doesn't go exactly to plan. Hope to be out cheering for the Mini so see you then.
    Thanks BG, don't think so, first place only. I have a sneaky feeling Donore may have won the team prize...please please please let it not be by one point :eek: Adrian, where can I go to view the masters team placings do you know?
    tunguska wrote: »
    I don't think you need a Garmin. I mean get one if you wanna check it out but I think all you need do is go off at the start of a race (the exception being 5k and below) at a handy clip. Don't be working hard at all, relax and just wind it up gradually during that first mile so that by the time you hit the first Mile marker you're at a pace that you know by feel is your race pace. Just be cool, keep your head, don't get caught up in the madness and do your own thing. Yiu'll catch them all very quickly and by starting easy you save enough in the tank for the finish. Better to have a slow start with a strong finish than a fast start and no finish at all.
    Thanks T :) I think yesterday saw me quite low and vulnerable to garmination ;) A fresh day and....well, the thought of glancing every so often at my wrist and seeing a comforting 4 min/km pace (for the WMM) is still a teensy bit tempting...
    But, I am going to put the sub 40 attempt on the back burner for now and concentrate on the mechanics of racing and pacing for longer distances. I did the same (misjudged the pace) for the Leinster 10 mile and paid the price in pain and after yesterday's sufferfest, I think I've had enough of suffering the wrong sort of pain throughout a long race. I'm quite excited about the challenge of holding back at the start and building strongly during the race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

From what I can see the team results are here:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2624

Sorry can't be of more help, not really understanding how the team points work.

adrian522 wrote: »
    From what I can see the team results are here:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2624

Sorry can't be of more help, not really understanding how the team points work.

Yeah saw that thanks, I think it's a random algorithm and not the actual results as there are mixed teams there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Thanks BG, don't think so, first place only. I have a sneaky feeling Donore may have won the team prize...please please please let it not be by one point :eek: Adrian, where can I go to view the masters team placings do you know?

But, I am going to put the sub 40 attempt on the back burner for now and concentrate on the mechanics of racing and pacing for longer distances. I did the same (misjudged the pace) for the Leinster 10 mile and paid the price in pain and after yesterday's sufferfest, I think I've had enough of suffering the wrong sort of pain throughout a long race. I'm quite excited about the challenge of holding back at the start and building strongly during the race.

I think for anything over 5k its the best way to race. I saw so many people go off hard yesterday and just die on their feet long before the finish. I passed a lot of people in the last 2 miles and they may have been better trained than me but they just went off too quick and blew themselves out.
    I dunno maybe do get the Garmin, kind of use it like a kid would use stablisers on their bike. Use it until you have trained yourself to read the pace without even a glance at your the watch. Use people aswell. I know where Im at and what pace Im running in a race just by looking at the lads around me, and the ones just up the road aswell. You get to know the faces, even the running gaits of people and who you can spot a mile off.

Advertisement