Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Lots of good luck for tomorrow! the faster you run, the drier you'll be.... don't forget your wand :-)

edit: just saw you posted the same thing on Anna's thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

10km sub 40 here you come!
    Get well ahead of the smokers and drinkers that I'm advised 'run' this. Be at the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck DG - hope all goes to plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hope you are home refreshed and raring to go... enjoy tomorrow and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks everybody, the good wishes are much appreciated. Target C is a PB, B is 40:xx. We all know what 'A' is thanks to my fighting talk :rolleyes: a few weeks ago but the pressure is off for that tomorrow, my aim is to run a strong and progressively paced race. Looks like the wind will be in our backs on the return journey so here's hoping ;)
    Best of everything to anyone else running tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

best of luck; I'll be marshalling around km9 so I'll give you a good shout out. Expect to see you at 2:35pm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Very excited to see how you go tomorrow DG. Whatever happens I know you'll give it your all!!
    Best of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best tomorrow DG! Have a gud un:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Actually will you do me a favour please? As you'll cross the finish fresh and fierce will you please ask organisers to rename 10 km run or fun run as I'm sick of people assuming if I've done a Half Marathon it's a 10km! I've asked them before but as you can imagine I didn't hear back. Just ask them to drop the mini marathon bit. X
    All the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck tomorrow! I'm looking forward to reading your report already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

DG, have a good one. I'm expecting great things from you tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow.
    Much easier course than Enniscorthy by all accounts so you should be good for target A. The easy week won't have done you any harm either considering your training before that :)

Target A - 6/4
    Target B - 6/4
    Target C - 4/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow DG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Julielena

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

aquinn wrote: »
    Actually will you do me a favour please? As you'll cross the finish fresh and fierce will you please ask organisers to rename 10 km run or fun run as I'm sick of people assuming if I've done a Half Marathon it's a 10km! I've asked them before but as you can imagine I didn't hear back. Just ask them to drop the mini marathon bit. X
    All the very best.

Or *quarter*-marathon, as it should be (little bit of rounding). I hate that too, everyone knows the mm is not a full marathon but unfortunately non-runners do confuse with the half :(.

In bocco al lupa, DG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Or *quarter*-marathon, as it should be (little bit of rounding). I hate that too, everyone knows the mm is not a full marathon but unfortunately non-runners do confuse with the half :(.

In bocco al lupa, DG

Ah yes, but do we care what NON runners think...? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Firedance wrote: »
    Ah yes, but do we care what NON runners think...? :-D

Sometimes, when your flat-out effort over 21k is being confused for the "mini". I've actually been annoyed about this in the past, and the person getting it wrong wouldn't even run a mile (indeed, maybe that was why I was annoyed about her mistake...)

Sorry for the hijack DG

What news for us then?

• Advertisement

What news for us then?

Aha, it was a tough enough day today...I don't think I even got my C goal, in fact I know I didn't, but it looks like I was in the top 40 - out of 40 000 - and I may have scraped a negative split so I think that can be called a Good Day's Work :D
    Bloody results not available til published tomorrow :mad: (Didn't even bother to stop my watch at the finish)
    Thanks again for all the good wishes, and the shout outs en route, BG did you get my 'I've had enough eye roll'??!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Aha, it was a tough enough day today...I don't think I even got my C goal, in fact I know I didn't, but it looks like I was in the top 40 - out of 40 000 - and I may have scraped a negative split so I think that can be called a Good Day's Work :D
    Bloody results not available til published tomorrow :mad: (Didn't even bother to stop my watch at the finish)
    Thanks again for all the good wishes, and the shout outs en route, BG did you get my 'I've had enough eye roll'??!

Ha, I did. Although you were still motoring! It was apocalyptic out there today - top 0.1% ain't too shabby, I don't think times are relevant in that wind and rain! Dunshaughlin will be a breeze compared to that. Hope you've thawed out. I had to bail into a coffee shop after half and hour because I couldn't feel my hands or feet :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Serious conditions out there - well done - top 40 is serious going

Top 40! Incredible, well done.
    Traumatised or ok?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ha, I did. Although you were still motoring! It was apocalyptic out there today - top 0.1% ain't too shabby, I don't think times are relevant in that wind and rain! Dunshaughlin will be a breeze compared to that. Hope you've thawed out. I had to bail into a coffee shop after half and hour because I couldn't feel my hands or feet :eek:
    I bet you were freezing, serious kudos to you, thanks a mill :D No, times weren't relevant, I made a couple of mistakes but nothing that would have got me a significant amount faster today.
    kit3 wrote: »
    Serious conditions out there - well done - top 40 is serious going
    Thanks kit but, Sh%t I hope that count is right! My nephew and dad called out the positions just before the 7k mark and no one passed me after that so fingers crossed :eek:
    Top 40! Incredible, well done.
    Traumatised or ok?
    Thanks A! The bit prior to the race traumatised me big time but overall happy with today. I'll cobble a race report after the sprogs are snoring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Thanks kit but, Sh%t I hope that count is right! My nephew and dad called out the positions just before the 7k mark and no one passed me after that so fingers crossed :eek:

I heard at least one runner :rolleyes: was pulled off the course before the end, so You'll have gained at least 1 place ;)

I gave you a shout at 8.5k but you were really motoring so I am not sure you heard me.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I heard at least one runner :rolleyes: was pulled off the course before the end, so You'll have gained at least 1 place ;)

I gave you a shout at 8.5k but you were really motoring so I am not sure you heard me.

Yeah the fecker passed me between 3 and 4k. I don't give a sht about men running in this but they really need to keep to their place....at the back of the pack ;) Really motoring? Did not feel like it at that stage, I had entered the misery zone not long after 7k but thanks :D
    Ps had a chat with Emilia before the race and I saw the 'object' but will save that for the report :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Top 40/50/60 - it's serious going either way :)

Race Report VHI WMM 2015
    Official results: 40th place and 42:24 (#39 if you take 'ciara' out of the mix :rolleyes:)

General prep was not the best, plenty of alcohol drunk at the Italian wedding on Thursday and Friday but mainly lack of sleep was the main biggie. I had revised the sub 40 target after Terenure, training was going well but races are the real sign of progress IMO. Weather forecast and a hot and heavy few days in Italy underpinned this revision. That's not to say I hadn't ruled it out completely...

I had very swollen feet and ankles off the plane late on Saturday night due to not being able to move on plane (sleeping baba, not mine), and had also spent two hours in the car on the way to airport so not surprising really.

Sunday, nutrition was pretty rubbish.
    Swelling reduced but not completely, did an easy 40 minutes incl strides, lovely evening and felt fresh enough.

I wore compression socks to bed but probably not the brightest idea as...

Monday (Lie in till 8 ;) )
    But...
    Woke up with quite a sore and stiff knee due to swelling and socks? Sore to walk on but went for a 10 min jog at 11:30 to test it out. It was strangely ok when jogging, only stiff when walking. Decided to go ahead and pull out at the least bit of worry.
    Light breakfast, forgot to have snack but didn't feel the lack of it, indeed caught a whiff of fast food on the bridge warming up and it made me quite queasy.

Disaster/shambles pre race: really had to watch my ps and qs...
    P in lane because
    Q for loo was over 20 mins and wouldn't have made it to
    Q for baggage so...
    ... just made it to front pen, met two clubmates and warmed up incl strides. Saw BeepBeep67, suitably ensconced in the lead car front seat and Abhainn, had a chat and dumped our extra layers on them :)

With 10 minutes to go, we lined up and saw Emilia. I told her she had broken my heart and the cause of it so she gaily waved her dirty great GARMIN forerunner under my nose. Did her no harm, she was flying today but.... :rolleyes:

Off we went:
    It was a bit too wet for the Sauconys today but wasn't going so fast it was falling-slippy.

The first km came in at 3:55 and I was absolutely delighted with this. I felt really strong and relaxed even thought it was about 10 seconds faster than intended first km. didn't get to check again til:

3k and saw 12:43 on the watch :eek: (I had been planning to run in multiples of 4 minutes so anything up to 12:30 would have been acceptable). At this stage, I had settled down and was keeping my two clubmates in sight so wasn't expecting it to have slowed so much, I should have told myself to cop on and taken into account the wind which had a powerful enough gust at times.
    So instead, I made a rookie mistake and stepped up a gear. Not too much but enough to make it that little bit harder early on.

My clubmates caught me around the 5k mark (possibly hit at 21:xx) where it began to pinch.
    5.5k we turned around, all ok but they revved up, as per plan. I kept them within 30-50 metres til about 6.8k when they opened up the gap to maybe 100m.

7-10k I entered the misery zone but concentrated on keeping a strong and fast cadence. The wand came out and I really let that pain in. I passed a couple here so all good...ish. BG got the benefit of a wordless eye roll but I have to admit I got a fright when I heard her bellow my name :D I was in the process of overtaking and couldn't see who the bellow was coming from!

Missed the 8k marker and the 9k marker was a great relief. Funnily the last km seemed to go really quick and the finish caught me by surprise, a very welcome surprise mind you!

However:
    All in all, despite the mistake of revving up too early, I passed more than was passed today. No one passed me after 6k or so, although it had become fairly strung out by then. I can't remember exactly but I definitely caught three or four places after 6km until the end. I ended up with just one athlete between me and my speedster clubmates. The finish line as we turned towards Merrion Square caught me by surprise (:o *know your start and finishes*) and if I'd known it was coming sooner would I have been able to raise more of a sprint? Who knows. I did what I did on the day. I left nothing out there, dug deep, used the wand and...dug deep again :)

It's all a learning curve and while the pacing is still not there, it's moving forward. I would have liked to have not panicked slightly at the 3k mark especially having seen how staying cool calm and collected paid off for my clubmates, I will definitely feel easier about holding back next time.

Met up with more clubmates at the end for a couple of Irish coffees (heat replenishment :) ) who all seemed to have had a good run in the conditions. Well done boardsies too, it was a tough enough day.

Fair play to everyone supporting and stewarding today on the course, we really really appreciate you!

Dun Shaughlin and Ferns next on the list and then really excited about preparing for the National Masters T&F at the end of August. Bring that baby on :D

Will post splits, final position and official time tomorrow when results are up but the pa has confirmed (not a figment of my delirium) that I was definitely 40th at 7k. No one passed me and I gained a couple of places after 7k so I am over the moon with that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Oops, didn't mean to give you a fright :o. I blame the caffeine :rolleyes: Great report, as usual. Nice plan for the summer - what distance(s) will you do in the Masters ? See you in Dunshaughlin anyway, looks like there will be a large boards contingent.

Advertisement