Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hang on.....gets to the end of a Scooby Doo ep and unmasks.... :eek: you are coachy, I knew it!!

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Morning :) and Thank You! I'm a bit perplexed, near-miraculous recovery :D:D I was quite worried about this, I thought it would be a week of easy jogging if that. From hop-along Cassidy yesterday and Wednesday night to practically nothing today - ever so slight tenderness if I press really hard. Yippee! Sports massage tonight so that should help even more.

Good to hear that DG - just a note of caution, I had a very similar niggle 3 weeks ago and am still trying to shake it off completely, sounds like you are being sensible with it though from the get go ( which I wasn't :o - ran several sessions\long runs until I eventually bit the bullet this week to let it clear up fully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Duanington wrote: »
    Good to hear that DG - just a note of caution, I had a very similar niggle 3 weeks ago and am still trying to shake it off completely, sounds like you are being sensible with it though from the get go ( which I wasn't :o - ran several sessions\long runs until I eventually bit the bullet this week to let it clear up fully)

Apart from racing on it you mean?! Thanks D. Tbh, not being able to run is my biggest nightmare so I'll take a few days now rather than risk a few weeks off further down the line :eek: *ahem* also have a race next Tuesday :o
    Good luck with your own. You've been flying lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Apart from racing on it you mean?! Thanks D. Tbh, not being able to run is my biggest nightmare so I'll take a few days now rather than risk a few weeks off further down the line :eek: *ahem* also have a race next Tuesday :o
    Good luck with your own. You've been flying lately.

lol - its hard to do it but what's a couple of days off in the grand scheme of things? ( I know, the "Greed" you mentioned in your report gets the better of us !)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I presume you're not planning on running Dunshaughlin tomorrow DG?

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    I presume you're not planning on running Dunshaughlin tomorrow DG?

No, definitely not B. Coachy ruled that out a few weeks ago: too long and no significant benefit for the current block of training.

Achilles update: ouchy sports massage last night. Lots of work ironing out both itbs and tfls plus nice gentle massage on the Achilles. Strongly recommended to get a foam roller for itb work. A sliotar is fine for everywhere else but my general stretching needs to be supplemented with foam rolling the itb as it is not really a stretchable piece of tissue.
    I was advised to play it by ear for Tuesday and obviously nothing strenuous in the meantime.
    Ventured out for a possible 30min easy jog on grass this morning but cut it short to 20. Tenderness is still there and while gentle jogging didn't aggravate it, it didn't go away either so I decided to taste my own medicine :pac: and stop while the going was good.

If I race on Tuesday it will be after getting coachy's go-ahead and will also be in my racing flats. This niggle has most likely been aggravated by recent track training, especially the 200s. Spikes push you up onto your toes...and so do sprinty 200s. I was warned :rolleyes: ....It's more a case of my Achilles simply not being used to this type of work so have been given a simple strengthening exercise which "sure you can even do while boiling the kettle" :D

In other news, I noticed in the graded results that an athlete who was miles - ok kilometers- ahead of me in the Leinster road 3k was only eight seconds ahead of me on Wednesday (around where I was hoping to be) so I am feeling slightly better about it all. It did however occur to me that she might be targeting the national masters 1500...:eek: In a funny way that has made me hungrier. Roar, bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Seems like sensible advice! Although sounds as if there's a big crew going from these parts everywhere :-)

Hope the recovery is swift and EZ and not too frustrating!

Wed 17
    Graded meet Santry 1500m, B race: 8th in 5:12.6 slightly disappointing but I'm over it :) (see race report)
    Achilles problem/niggle before race and since

Thur 18
    Rest

Fri 19
    Rest and physio

Sat 20
    Easy 20 mins niggle still there, significant enough not to push it.
    Full strength, mobility and DS core. Back on track ;)

Sun 21
    Steady 10k incl 2x(3x100m strides) at 70% effort.
    I made a conscious decision to push the pace to test the foot but kept it at the easy end of steady (7:40-8 m/m pace), all very comfortable. I'm not unhappy with it but I'm not happy either. The niggle seems to have slipped around to the inner part of my ankle, somewhere between the ankle bone and actual tendon. My massage therapist went into latest research on the fascia after me asking a question about a diagram on his wall (was trying to distract from the pain of ironing out my itb :eek: ) which of course made me wonder if part of my fascia is inflamed. (Basically we all have a complete sheath surrounding our tissues, muscles etc - a bit like the film on a chicken breast.) Leave the self-diagnosis alone missus. Hurry home ECOLII too :D

So a bit of a worry but at the same time not the end of the world. It is at an unfortunate enough stage in the countdown to the nationals in five weeks but I brought it on myself :rolleyes: Only one session missed so far but if I need to take more time off, I'll do it.

Weekly total 18 miles or so
    Breakdown:
    3 rest days
    1 race
    2 recovery pace runs
    1 steady run

Core, strength and mobility: moving in the right direction :)

Great results from Dunshaughlin last night - here and my club, well done everyone! *hobbles off to scratch the racing itch* :D

Mon 22
    Rest but with full prescribed general strengthening hip and Achilles exercises plus some light pre-race core

Tues 23
    Bray Runners Invitational Mile, Greystones track

AM: easy 20 mins to test Achilles. Still 'there' but didn't worsen during the run or tighten up after.
    Had a chat with Coachy in the morning and he recommended icing it and massaging it a couple of times throughout the day. We discussed my approach to the race and the Achilles, essentially "you can back out at any stage".

Niggle aside, I was feeling quite positive about this race despite Aunty Flo making her appearance bang on schedule. I wanted to test a theory I had about my last few races; pacing, holiday and foul weather issues aside, something has been 'missing'.
    I had stopped my alternate-month iron supplements in February or March I think. My blood tests came back 'normal' a month or so ago. Yet, something had been niggling at me.
    I read an article last week re female athletes, iron and ferritin levels which reminded me what that mental niggle was. The article suggested that 'normal' levels may not be 'normal' for athletes. I happen to think that I am fairly well in tune with my body and this just resonated. Back to the Ferrograd C with me and five days in I wanted to see if any difference was to be seen. I've had this happen before and an almost instant return to form when I've resumed iron. I must dig out that second diary from back along because I am sure I had ongoing iron issues as a teen. So yes, I was eager to race tonight, but not at any cost...

PM:
    I arrived in plenty of time, saw a few clubmates and had a lovely, relaxed shuffle jog warm up of 20-25 minutes. Then I registered and had a chat with coachy about my Achilles and gave him a more complete update. Like the pa, he wasn't too worried and explained it as very likely brought on by training hard on the track without enough ankle etc strength. Again he reiterated his advice that I could 'back out at any time'. I did a couple of longer strides and a few drills on the outside tarmac path and wasn't that happy about the inside of my ankle, especially on the drills but decided to hold fire on any decision until I got the spikes on the track.

I knew nearly straight away on the track that it wasn't strong enough. The first two longer strides (not up on the toes) felt strained and my stride and footfall compromised. The next two shorter ones (attempting to get up on the toes) were the deal-clencher. Sore and had to pull up after 30 metres or so. Coachy had been watching these and agreed that it was the only call to make.
    We'll have a proper meeting tomorrow but can't really make any call about the nationals til ECOLII gets back. Training is going to be interrupted now, no getting away from that and we're only 4.5 weeks out. Not sure yet how 'less than 100%' I would be comfortable with going into it. Last year it was won in 4:53 and I'm still a way away from that right now. Perhaps it's way too soon for me to be thinking like this...
    However my exercise in restraint has definitely paid off. My foot tightened up considerably after the warm up which reinforced 'the right call'. Feeling kinda virtuous in a pi$$ed off way ;)
    It was good anyway to watch the events of the night...even 'my' race...(won in 5:4x)

Coachy did suggest that the worst case scenario is that track season is over for this year. I'll be ok with that, seriously, because I have our club Captain's bigger picture in mind. He has mapped a very tasty schedule for 2017, the year I enter the o/45s and that, for now, is *the* goal and I will do what it takes to get there in my finest, healthiest and best one piece :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Good call! A rest in time saves nine;)

Mind yourself, personally, I don't come off the iron supplements at all now. If the levels dropped before, I'm pretty sure they will drop again so better to be on the safe and preventitive side. I'm not sure how safe that really is though:eek: but it sure beats fatigue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Jeez, girl, you are sounding very philosophical... 2017?? hope we don't have to wait that long for more of your racing exploits... !! seriously though, it's good that you're taking the long view, there's no point in risking longer term damage.

Hopefully you'll get the achilles sorted soon.

Good call! A rest in time saves nine;)

Mind yourself, personally, I don't come off the iron supplements at all now. If the levels dropped before, I'm pretty sure they will drop again so better to be on the safe and preventitive side. I'm not sure how safe that really is though:eek: but it sure beats fatigue.

Thanks, I know...is that my advice being chucked back at me?! :pac:
    I think I do ok on one month on/one month off but it's definitely something I'll be keeping under review from now.

Thanks again, I'll be sitting tight don't worry :) wriggling, but sitting tight!

annapr wrote: »
    Jeez, girl, you are sounding very philosophical... 2017?? hope we don't have to wait that long for more of your racing exploits... !! seriously though, it's good that you're taking the long view, there's no point in risking longer term damage.

Hopefully you'll get the achilles sorted soon.

Hehe no bloody way! Nah, just might be the track nationals aren't on the cards this year. I'm just putting this little blip (I hope that's all it is!) into the wider context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

At least now you'll have more time for the mentored thread :)
    I think you should post earlier than the 6:35am you managed the other day.

Sorry to hear that DG, but you're right to look at the big picture (and even bigger picture that is 2017 which sounds very exciting). Hope Ecolii fixes you up quickly and you can get back on schedule.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    At least now you'll have more time for the mentored thread :)
    I think you should post earlier than the 6:35am you managed the other day.

6:35??!! Me? Can't have been. That's still the middle of the night for me ("no sprog #2, it's not getting up time, it's still the middle of the night".... :D )

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that DG, but you're right to look at the big picture (and even bigger picture that is 2017 which sounds very exciting). Hope Ecolii fixes you up quickly and you can get back on schedule.

Thanks BG. I have every faith he will. Fecker's not allowed on holidays ever again :D How's your niggles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

You are very philosophical indeed DG, great that you can look towards the future, that's what makes a super club runner and I reckon good karma will cone your way - hopefully located in walkinstown very soon!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to hear this, That's been giving you trouble for a while I think?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be back before too long. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I hope you get sorted quickly and are back on form as soon as possible. As you said to me recently though, keep the focus on the bigger picture and some of the longer term goals you have, this is just a bump on the way to those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Good call on not running, respect on the long term planning!!

Thanks BG. I have every faith he will. Fecker's not allowed on holidays ever again :D How's your niggles?
    All good thanks, back doing some easy miles, but may still join the queue of bruised and battered runners outside Ecolii's door before I start ramping up mileage. Don't forget to hide his passport when you're there ;)

Firedance wrote: »
    You are very philosophical indeed DG, great that you can look towards the future, that's what makes a super club runner and I reckon good karma will cone your way - hopefully located in walkinstown very soon!!!
    Aw thanks FD! In a way, it's good that this has happened earlier in my reborn running days. A timely reminder that the body is older and mortal :D
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this, That's been giving you trouble for a while I think?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be back before too long. Best of luck with it.
    Thanks Adrian. Yeah a quick flick back through my log tells me it has. Looks like the 200s tipped it over the edge. Hopefully not totally. I don't feel anything is torn. Fingers crossed!
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I hope you get sorted quickly and are back on form as soon as possible. As you said to me recently though, keep the focus on the bigger picture and some of the longer term goals you have, this is just a bump on the way to those.
    Thanks Laura and yes, I want to be able to run for years yet so will do what it takes....
    dintbo wrote: »
    Good call on not running, respect on the long term planning!!
    Thanks dintbo. The club captain gave me that advice a while back and it works really well when something like this happens. It's all too easy to get short-focus tunnel vision as runners....
    All good thanks, back doing some easy miles, but may still join the queue of bruised and battered runners outside Ecolii's door before I start ramping up mileage. Don't forget to hide his passport when you're there ;)
    Genius!
    Ah good, yeah take it easy in the meantime...not bad timing really, at the start of base training...

So it's confirmed. Had a good long meeting with coachy this afternoon and the short term plans have been considerably revised:
      track season is over, starting today
      No running for a week, starting today
      Rehab begins, starting today
      The rest of my life begins...starting....;)

We both agreed on all the above. It's quite simple really, long term gains are the priority. The year so far has, overall, been more than satisfying. This time a year ago I was a completely different runner. We gambled, experimented and it didn't pay off. The rehab and strengthening I do between now and next year will.

By the end of July, if I do as I'm told ;), I'll be ready to start building for xc season. Yes, I'm a little sad I won't compete in the nationals but there'll be other years. I'd rather compete in full health and fitness and do it justice.

*pool running starts Friday :eek: takin a splash in the dark side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Are you ok? Full rest then for the week? Then ok for base building but no racing until Winter? What's the diagnosis?
    Great you can also start mentoring TbL on pool running.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So straight from track season to XC season? You are missing the entire DCM season there somewhere!

It's quite simple really, long term gains are the priority. The year so far has, overall, been more than satisfying. This time a year ago I was a completely different runner. We gambled, experimented and it didn't pay off. The rehab and strengthening I do between now and next year will.

Jeez, you'll be unstoppable then :D. You've achieved so much in a very short space of time already. Sounds like you're in very good (and sensible!) hands with your coach. I'd say Fionnuala Britton is bricking it for the XC season ;).

aquinn wrote: »
    Are you ok? Full rest then for the week? Then ok for base building but no racing until Winter? What's the diagnosis?
    Great you can also start mentoring TbL on pool running.
    Yes, well not complete rest: I have two simple strengthening exercises to do plus pool swimming and easy cycling if I want.
    I'm not too sure of the exact schedule yet from July on but two other clubmates are preparing for xc as well and another for the marathon so our xc and marathon schedules will overlap once or twice a week. The two xc runners are coming up to a season's break anyway so my timing is good: if I hadn't taken the track experiment this year, I'd be on a break around now anyway. Not too sure about racing prior to xc. I had pencilled in the Lakes 10k in August. Doubt I'll be in full racing shape then but it's one I'd like to do. We'll see.
    Yes, I'll have to get THL more streamlined for the pool. Perhaps I could hold his hand while he lies on the waxing table ;) It's all about the glide....:D
    adrian522 wrote: »
    So straight from track season to XC season? You are missing the entire DCM season there somewhere!
    Ahem, yes :o Just a very interested observer this year.... :)
    Jeez, you'll be unstoppable then :D. You've achieved so much in a very short space of time already. Sounds like you're in very good (and sensible!) hands with your coach. I'd say Fionnuala Britton is bricking it for the XC season ;).

Haha no need, I'm already approaching the European xc scheduling committee with the necessary brown envelopes ;) She'll be nowhere near Wicklow this December ;)

I had pencilled in the Lakes 10k in August.

It's September (5th), so even more time to prepare. And all the cool kids are doing it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

It's September (5th), so even more time to prepare. And all the cool kids are doing it. :cool:

yes they are! :D:cool: pencil it back in..

Advertisement