Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ososlo wrote: »
    Very frustrating for you DG. Fair play to you for keeping up the positive outlook. It is but a momentary blip in proceedings. You'll be back faster and fitter than ever in no time. None of us have any doubt about that at all:)

If you're defo going to Morton Games on Friday week drop me a pm beforehand. It'd be nice to finally meet up!
    Thanks Os, yeah it'll be grand I (sort of) know. Getting in shape for xc is now the priority. Looking forward to doing lots of winter miles :)
    Would you believe I have dinner plans that Friday? I am soooo gutted, my friend is over from London and I don't think she will be impressed if I drag her to Santry....can we just send telepathic messages out there for her to change our dinner plans back to Plan A, Sunday?!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Hang in there DG. Been in tht "I'll never run again" mindset myslf but this too will pass! Besides, how can you have time to mentor AND run? (Ah yes, Ososlo will meet you and give you all the answers).:)
    Thanks murph :) Yeah, back to running will see my poor novices ignored :D ssshhh
    RayCun wrote: »
    when 'not running' starts to feel as natural as 'running' is when I get worried
    Yeah, haven't quite got there yet however... I refuse to admit that it is due to diverted energy, but the house is looking a lot more ship shape than in a typical running week :o
    annapr wrote: »
    so, no need to worry yet DG! but hope you get it sorted.
    Thanks Anna, chiro appt Friday morning, couldn't palm the kids off before then :rolleyes: ...but had a lucky break, he's off on holidays Friday evening so just got in there! What is it with these physios/chiros etc and their bloody holidays?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What is it with these physios/chiros etc and their bloody holidays?!

I know! I just got in tonight by the skin of my teeth before she swans off for 10 days. No consideration whatsoever :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope the chiro works his magic. And yeah, the XC season, bring it on. My runners are too clean, it's weird. :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

but had a lucky break, he's off on holidays Friday evening so just got in there! What is it with these physios/chiros etc and their bloody holidays?!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I know! I just got in tonight by the skin of my teeth before she swans off for 10 days. No consideration whatsoever :rolleyes::rolleyes:

paid for entirely by injured running clients :D hope it does the trick tho girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How are you doing then? Appointment tomorrow morning anyway? Any aquatic sessions or completely minding yourself?

Hope the chiro works his magic. And yeah, the XC season, bring it on. My runners are too clean, it's weird. :pac::pac::pac:
    Firedance wrote: »
    paid for entirely by injured running clients :D hope it does the trick tho girls!
    aquinn wrote: »
    How are you doing then? Appointment tomorrow morning anyway? Any aquatic sessions or completely minding yourself?

Thanks ladies :)
    Got a cancellation this morning which coincided with a day off for Himself so hauled my nearly-limping ass over to Dundrum. I knew I should have gone back in April a) because I had pencilled in a tune up for then and b) my lower back 'locked' on the weekend of the Leinster/Brian Boru 10 mile in April...:rolleyes:

So here's a log update with chiro visit included. Am feeling a little bit niggly still but that is because of 'the work done' (drill included :eek: ) however the pinchy nerve thing is gone, phew.

log w/b 13 July

Mon
    late enough run, 30/35 mins easy, can't remember. Hip pinching anyway towards end.
    DS core after. May move up to 20 reps next week, getting back into the hang of them.

Tue
    rest from running

Wed, no running, 45 mins aqua jogging. Finally think I got the hang of this re cadence and arm swing. Gave it some welly anyway.*

*not necessary really, according to coachy

Thur
    rest from running
    Chiro visit: Realigned my pelvis, reset my reflexes (yeah I dunno either), loosened my joints and zapped my psoas with his drill thingy etc and told me that I'm good to go...on Saturday :D He also gently told me off for not coming to see him for a tune up as discussed on my last visit (December) ...
    So, straight on the phone to coachy who outlined a brief overview till the end of August:
    The next two weeks will see me running four, then five days a week (supplemented by two pool sessions if I can) starting at 30/35 minutes running until I'm comfortably doing an hour by the end of the month.
    I nearly wet myself was smiling widely when he started to outline August's plan; 'you'll be running one, one and a half (that brought on a little drool) two (near faint with happiness) hours in August and then we can move on from there.
    Hallelujah, happy days bring those winter miles on, cross country here I come :D:D*

*I will however be watching through closed fingers when I log onto Athletics Ireland for the results of the nationals on the 26th....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

...cadence in aqua jogging???!!! you deffo need to get back running, and sounds like you are on the way! yaay... :)

...cadence in aqua jogging???!!! you deffo need to get back running, and sounds like you are on the way! yaay... :)

I really do! Just looked at the calendar...it's been four weeks and one day since the graded meet when I got the first niggle...it hasn't been a complete write off, I feel/hope I've managed to keep some sort of fitness....shoot me if I report anything off plan over the next few weeks, ok?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That chiropractor visit sounds fantastic. You'll be sore for a day and start to ease. You have a plan, yay.

Fri rest

Saturday

35 mins easy. This felt good. I can feel my strength is still there - but don't want to begin to think about sharpness :eek: However, am not convinced the hip has fully settled down yet. Achilles is fine, well back to how it was before a few weeks ago. Still inclined to stiffening after sitting/keeping it in one position for any length.
    I think I'll have to go for another re-alignment and sports massage this week as recommended by chiro. Except chiro is now on holidays and ECOLII is broken :( Physio #2 so....

Also did a DS core session, managing 20 controlled reps of each move (15) now. Side plank thingy still amusing to watch...

Sunday
    22 mins easy around the block just because I could :p

Weekly breakdown ;)
    3 days easy running
    1 session aqua jogging
    1 chiro visit
    2 DS core sessions and lots of general rehab, strengthening etc. Not so much mobility this week because of hip.

Recap of last 5 weeks: (not as reassuring as I had thought...)

- In the last 35 days I have had 10 runs, including one race, varying in intensity from mostly easy/ recovery to one steady 10k
    - I have also been aqua jogging five times from 35 minutes to 50 at a time
    - Both of the above have been supplemented by regular - for me - rehab, strengthening/core and mobility exercises (Myrtl routine).

Onwards....

keep the faith, you're getting there...

• Advertisement

w/beg 20 July 2015

Mon
    Chat with Coachy, outlined plan in more detail for next two weeks and more general detail up to October.
    August:
    Base building for August and most of September; 5-6 days running comprising of
    1) mid-week easy runs of 1hour including strides once or twice a week and a 70 minute run and
    2) longer runs of up to two hours at the weekend.
    Then the introduction of tempo and fartlek runs which will take us up to cross country season targeting the Leinster masters in October and nationals in January (?) also novice and intermediate if eligible and not forgetting the county ch'ships too....busy :eek: I will also take in some road racing: a 10k and HM from September with an occasional 5k sharpener at the end of a step-back week....glad I've had a doss month!

Talked about Achilles, he reckons this old/new bout is insertional tendinitis :( Flat heel-calf raises recommended for now.

Run:
    Plan was 40-45 mins, took in a route that I knew was roughly in this range. Bang on, 43 mins ;) Felt good, had to hold back but once or twice I just stretched out the legs (keeping the breathing even ;) ) saying 'I love running I love running I love love love love running' under my breath to the mild alarm of one young chap whom I surprised (me too young fella) parking his car :D
    DS core box ticked

Hip slightly niggly but I suspect it is cascading down to the Achilles and/or from the Achilles cascading back up. Another chiro visit this week but who, who??!!

Tue
    Rest
    Flat heel raises and goblet squats

Wed
    45 min aqua jog. Technique could be improving, felt my core engaging but hard work to engage it all the time....

Thur am (empty run)
    40 mins easy incorporating 5 x longer/slower -> shorter/faster strides from around the three mile mark. Hip and Achilles ok, not perfect but perfectly acceptable niggle level (i.e., extremely minor).
    Myrtl post run. My 5yo watched the demo of each move with me and corrected me. 'Hmm she's got sharper eyes than me' I thought but when she started placing my limbs in increasingly fantastical arrangements I regained faith in my short-term retentive memory......
    I really like the Myrtl routine...have it said this before? :D my limbs always feel really relaxed, loose and reinvigorated by the time I get to the stand up lateral leg swings.

Fri
    58 minutes on road/grass/road. Felt my legs tiring slightly after 43 minutes but not wrecked. All good :)

Sat
    Rest. Needed. Dinner and lots of Prosecco on Friday night. Had to be done, won't be too many blow outs from now ;)

Sun
    Cliff run to Greystones in rain and wind. Who cares, gorgeous to be out and able to run. 69 minutes in total.
    Some random internet strangers came back to mine and commandeered my shower etc. But they brought cake so that's ok. Himself approves of this particular batchof loonies.
    Hip and heel grand.

Weekly breakdown:
    Heehee I am very tickled. I thought I'd 'geddoverit' and put in the odd and annoying non-rounded up/down minutes of running for this week but it all adds up to a lovely satisfying 200 minutes. Total result :D:D*

4 days running
    1 Aqua jog
    2 rest days
    Myrtl, DS core and rehab exercise boxes ticked :)

*anybody comes alonga here and corrects my maths, consider yourself blocked :p

I'm sure the random internet people were very grateful at such a kind gesture, and they brought cake so they sound like top notch folk :D your BH is clearly good people ;)

sounds like a busy few months ahead leading into XC, here's to keeping those niggles away between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Cliff run to Greystones in rain and wind. Who cares, gorgeous to be out and able to run. 69 minutes in total.

I think that was you who said a sunny hello this morning, as I was coming back the other way, was it? Sorry I was passed before I realised it. Sorry that I couldn't make it to meet up with you all, the timing just didn't really suit. Conditions were pretty severe alright - we came back over the top which was pretty wild, but rewarding as always. Were there many out in total for the run?

I'm sure the random internet people were very grateful at such a kind gesture, and they brought cake so they sound like top notch folk :D your BH is clearly good people ;)

sounds like a busy few months ahead leading into XC, here's to keeping those niggles away between now and then.
    Thanks FD :) And now we know BG's 'Achilles heel' we can spur her on to a sub-1:40 half by chasing her at strategic points along the course with a
    boiled egg
    :D:D:D
    wrstan wrote: »
    I think that was you who said a sunny hello this morning, as I was coming back the other way, was it? Sorry I was passed before I realised it. Sorry that I couldn't make it to meet up with you all, the timing just didn't really suit. Conditions were pretty severe alright - we came back over the top which was pretty wild, but rewarding as always. Were there many out in total for the run?
    Hi, yes 'twas me. I had you in my sights from quite early on and was tempted to catch ye but I was being sensible and just kept pace on my first long run back :) Yes, there were a good few out from the club and then a few usual suspects from here plus quite a few of the family and friends of the firemen. All in all a very healthy turnout, especially with the rotten conditions. Definitely very rewarding to have finished a run on a Sunday morning in that wind and rain!

Thanks FD :) And now we know BG's 'Achilles heel' we can spur her on to a sub-1:40 half by chasing her at strategic points along the course with a
    boiled egg

Fine, you two can pay for my PTSD therapy :p

Fine, you two can pay for my PTSD therapy :p

Deal :D;) :pac: :cool: I think what I'm trying to say is 'so worth it'* :D

*but only yours...don't think the agreement stretches to your whole family....

*but only yours...don't think the agreement stretches to your whole family....

You'd need a significant bank loan all right .... :rolleyes:

boiled egg

:D:D:D love it, who needs pom poms!

:D:D:D love it, who needs pom poms!

i think we could come up with a few more inspirations to keep BG moving too...

tick, tick, tick... ;)

i think we could come up with a few more inspirations to keep BG moving too...

tick, tick, tick... ;)

Ok, that is the LAST time I bare my soul 'share' with you lot. You're making it sound like I'm bags of crazy. Oh, wait...:o

• Advertisement

w/beg 27 July 2015

Mon
    Rest running. DS core (20) and rehab 2xsets of 15

Tue am run on empty
    58 mins easy incl 5xca.100m strides at around 5 miles in. All at avg just north 8m/mi pace. This was judged by feel and checked at two known marker points. I'm playing my own 'naked running guessing game' :pac:
    Felt ok considering it was 8am but hadn't got up early enough to have a flush-out coffee. So, strides brought on some GI issues with one mile to go. Stopped for 30 secs to scan a sparse wooded area but no bush presented. The stop however did the trick and along with slowing down post-strides for a warm down, made it home.

Myrtl post-run with the assistance of the 5yo :D

Wed aqua jog am on empty
    Only 30 mins due to time constraints. I could have stretched it to 37 minutes or so but I have to confess, a rather large and large-nostrilled gent drove me out of the pool early...he was floating on his back right in front of me, revealing his rather fully clogged left nostril. When he chose to swim parallel to me I took the 'exit stage left option' quite quickly. I had had a good quality aqua jog up til then so...
    Plus I beat the 50 kiddies and their mammies to the shower in the family changing room. :pac:

To do later: rehab, proprioception stuff and ankle strengthening exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what are your ankle exercises?

RayCun wrote: »
    what are your ankle exercises?

The rehab ones are flat heel/calf raises.
    The general strength ones are alphabet writing while standing (probably proprioceptive too) drawing 'j's while sitting, there are two more but I haven't got my list to hand and haven't done them often enough to remember :o
    Any suggestions welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't do anything in particular, just try to rotate my ankle a lot when I'm at my desk. Must try the alphabet writing while standing one

Log cotd

Thursday 30 July
    76 mins: 3 miles on road to park and then on grass round and round...and round. This was meant to be 70 minutes but I got a bit dizzy from all that looping around the fields ;) Flew by actually. Felt good on this but my legs knew what I'd done to them later that night :) Saw a few club mates and had a good chat.

Stand up Myrtl x2 sets and general stretching post-run

Friday
    Recovery run, 45 mins. Ouch. Legs still reminding me what I had asked them to do last night but they forgave me this evening as I kept the pace very comfortable.

Rehab this morn and DS core post-run. I am polishing my halo this week. I have a little 'plan chart' for the week and I am getting such satisfaction ticking a box or two each evening...

Saturday
    AM after light breakfast: 51 mins easy incl 8xca 100m strides with similar recovery. Felt good on these, stride not totally flowing but focused on form and felt that the recently restarted DS core are starting to take a good effect :)
    This was 3 miles on road to park and the rest on grass followed by stretching and stand up Myrtl lateral leg swings, front leg swings and bent knee swings while the kids played in the park.

Rehab and general ankle strengthening box ticked :)

Sunday 90 mins m-lsr
    Up at 7am, light breakfast at 7:15 and out the door just after 8 to cycle the three miles to the local park. My heel is stiff in the mornings but loosens out within minutes of moving around. However I decided to play it safe this morning and get the blood flowing with a few minutes of hot water bottle while sipping on coffee.

Met with a clubmate for 90 mins easy (nothing faster than 8m/mi).
    We started off on grass, ran into another clubmate so meandered round the park a bit more before heading out on the road to finish off. The heavens opened up about 40 mins in and we got soaked to the skin. I have no idea what the pace was (me stopwatch, clubmate garmin) but it felt like 8-8:30 pace, dropping occasionally into the wind or up an incline. She commented after a *beep* once that it was at 7:55 but this was when we were out on the road and a slight downhill so pretty sure we, at least, weren't too fast.

This run was primarily about time on feet and sure enough as the run drew to an end my legs were tired enough and I slowed right down the last 600m. Also very hungry! Luckily I had a small bag of nuts, seeds and dried fruit to scoff while stretching. Cycle home and the legs feel very pleasantly shagged now :cool: How I missed that shagged-legs feeling :D

Weekly breakdown: 320 mins running (perhaps *about* 37 miles)
    5 days running with two runs incl strides
    1 day aqua jogging
    All Core, Myrtl, stretching, rehab and general strengthening stuff boxes ticked. DS benefit really kicking in, found it noticeably useful on this morning's run; when starting to slump, I was able to straighten up and maintain form.

Bit of a jump in running this week, from 200 mins (4 runs) last week to 320 mins* (5 runs) this week but the body seems to be holding up. I'll book another chiro this week and a physio appt/massage too to hopefully iron out the last of the niggles.

*another symmetrical pleasure this week, no tweaking involved :)

w/beg 3 Aug 2015

Mon Rest, everything. Family dinner for my brother over from oz, a bit of wine and chat.

Tue
    Plan: 80 mins
    Actual: 88.5 mins

Can't make up my mind if this was a boom or a bust....

I decided to try a route I had run with some clubmates earlier in the year. It would take me along the motorway towards Kilmac for a stretch but as my memory served me, not for too long. I also knew it was just under 10 miles so all I had to do was add a little on at the end. Simple, right?
    Now earlier in the year, this run was done on a Sunday morning (very little traffic) in the lashing rain so landmarks were now a few months later....let's say....fuzzy. Today's run was attempted on a weekday and at peak traffic time (5pm) :rolleyes:

So I missed a turn off that would keep me off the motorway :eek: but I insisted on carrying on as I really wanted to cross over the motorway at the Glen of the Downs turn off and run along Quell lane - a really gorgeous country lane and apart from the drone of the motorway, you could imagine yourself in the back of beyond.

And I did, although a few lorries scared the bejesus out of me before the turn off. Luckily no GI issues today :pac:

Quell Lane was gorgeous and at this stage I was still feeling good, despite probably inadvertently upping the pace along the motorway in order to get off it.....This lane is a bit more than gently undulating but nothing too taxing.
    I came out at Kilmac and continued along the motorway to a turn off just past Avoca. This led me back onto the back roads towards Bray....but up a long enough drag. Still feeling good and still only at the 56:xx min marker or so at the road which would have brought me back to the Bray South junction - and nearly home - so I had *a bright idea* to take me up to 80 minutes :rolleyes:

Instead off turning off (and downhill) to the motorway junction...I decided to carry on and follow the Enniskerry sign...."sure that'll bring me home in time, it's only around the corner.....".
    Up a hill. Down a hill. Up a hill, round a corner, down a hill. Up a hill - 'sure it'll be Enniskerry at the bottom of this' - down a hill (sign: Enniskerry 3k :eek:). Up-and-round-and-down-a-hill...and so on. Oops :o
    However, it was a really gorgeous detour. The lanes were all nearly completely untouched and you could imagine yourself back 50 years or so. Something about these types of old walls, trees and white painted stones along a glass verge evoke a weird nostalgia in me (I'm NOT that old....).

So I got to Enniskerry eventually (around the 80 minute mark) and decided to plough on the final few k to my house. Unfortunately along this stretch my hip suddenly started to protest and tightened up to such an extent I decided to walk at the footbridge over the motorway at 88.5 mins.
    All good though, physio appt tomorrow. Had a chat over the phone this morning and it doesn't seem (so far) to be anything that can't be identified and worked on.

Wed
    AM: 35+ mins aqua jog
    PM: Plan: 60 mins incl strides
    Actual: 10k recovery pace
    I headed out with a (sort of) open mind on this on a 'bailable' loop if the body wasn't having it. I had some DOMS from yesterday's unscheduled hilly run (and Possibly Sunday's 90 mins?) so decided to scrap the strides. I could definitely feel the last two runs in my legs but very manageable once I kept it to recovery/easy pace. Hip fine too.
    I admit, I smiled and was filled with love for my body and legs for how far they have taken me: last year, a 10k was my lsr and now they can trot out a 10k for a recovery run. I love running!

Thur

Physio visit: really happy with this. I had been a bit worried as my hip seems to have been tightening up a lot lately, even during the rest lately.
    He did a really thorough background check, including hip problems as a baby (I was in a plaster of paris cast from 8 months until age two due to a congenital hip deformity). There may or may not be an underlying weakness there from this but it's probably not relevant here as I quote: "your problem is not architectural". There is also no tissue damage. Physio pretty much echoed what ECOLII also diagnosed: muscle weakness which gets fatigued easily and has been throwing my stride/gait off, especially when tired. There is also some tightness in my lower back.
    He looked at one of the exercises I had been given, corrected it - I had not been doing it properly :o - modified it slightly and sent me off with the assurance that if I stick to four simple exercises*, I will benefit exponentially as my stride efficiency improves. So there's some incentive!

*1) single leg side dip off low step
    2) single leg squat off low step
    3) cobra - how simple, but as he said, yoga's been around for so many centuries it's doing something right
    4) push/pull stretch: lying down, clasp bent knee and push against the hand grip then pull the knee out slightly and down towards the chest.

He also gave me a really useful tip to awaken my transverse abdominals. These babies are apparently v important as when used properly, they reset all the surrounding core and structure so my stride/lower lumbar area will stabilise and not fatigue so easily.
    At least that what I think he said. It works anyway. He showed me how to identify this muscle and awaken it while breathing correctly/not tensing the rib cage.**

He also *gave permission* to do today's tempo (no speed or hill work for a couple of weeks) where I had ample chance to try my new trick. It really worked, not a niggle from the hip :)

Run:
    3 miles to park, three miles tempo, 3 miles home

The tempo was to be at 10 mile pace (just under 7m/mi pace going by most recent in April). You know what, I *forgot* my watch and decided to do this by effort/feel and I think it was probably my most beneficial tempo to date. I kept the pace comfortably hard and, unlike some other tempos, I did not at any stage get a lactic flood so from what I understand, I did this 'proper' :)

I activated that TA throughout this section and really made a difference I felt. I was not only running tall but also with more correct posture too. I got a niggle of a cramp in my calf from 2-2.5 miles in during the tempo but remembered physio had 'pinched' it during the session so most likely from that. I had probably upped the pace too so it was a timely reminder to dial back. I finished the tempo section nicely tired but not wrecked. Job done :)

The last mile home was up a hill and remembering physio's advice, plus my legs got a fatigue hit at this stage, I dialled the pace down to recovery and focused on maintaining form/activating that TA.

**lying down, legs flat, locate the bony ridges of your hips. Maintain a bit of daylight under your spine (ie don't flatten it for this) and suck in under your belly button. Now slide your fingers down from your hip ridges and you should feel the dome of your transverse abs popping up. The initial tricky part is to do this while breathing and letting your rib cage relax down towards your waist, not tensing up. So now do this while running.... :D:D

Fri
    Recovery run (5 miles or so) in Park with nop planned later as he nails another lsr (14 miles).
    Done :) Just back from a very enjoyable 65 minutes or so with nop. Great to finally meet 'the tall Dutch-looking guy' :D It was a bit longer than planned but the pace was very comfortable and I actually felt my legs ease out as the run progressed so I - hopefully - will be fresh enough for the novices lsr in the PP tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Look like you're patience in sorting out injuries is really standing to you now. Great to see you getting back to form :)

dintbo wrote: »
    Look like you're patience in sorting out injuries is really standing to you now. Great to see you getting back to form :)

Thanks dintbo :) In a way, the enforced rest was nice timing. I was due a break anyway and should be nice and fresh for this block. I love the variety in the running cycle; I was so excited about the track training cycle and now the xc season approaches I've realised/remembered how much I love the long runs. It's a win-win situation, isn't it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Fri
    Recovery run (5 miles or so) in Park with nop planned later as he nails another lsr (14 miles).

Have fun guys.

Bit jealous ...

Great you are back in action!

Advertisement