Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Have fun guys.

Bit jealous ...

Great you are back in action!

Aw thanks hilly. Any news yet? Have you been yet or on the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Have fun guys.

Bit jealous ...

Great you are back in action!

+ 1 on the jealousy....but also delighted the hip & niggles are sorted :)

Firedance wrote: »
    + 1 on the jealousy....but also delighted the hip & niggles are sorted :)

Thanks FD :) It's like there's some weird boards balance thing going on....you and hilly 'out', me and Adrian back 'in'.... :eek: Hope you're both back asap.....*

*but who will be sacrificed to the balance gods?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great to hear you're getting back to normal!

By the way what is a lactic flood and how do you know if you have/haven't had one?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks FD :) It's like there's some weird boards balance thing going on....you and hilly 'out', me and Adrian back 'in'.... :eek: Hope you're both back asap.....*

*but who will be sacrificed to the balance gods?! :eek:

bit like this :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ceUEPZZKE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great update DG. Thrilled you're back in business. Astute investment of the children's allowance there ;).

XC starting in a couple of months, can you believe it ?

chickey2 wrote: »
    Great to hear you're getting back to normal!

By the way what is a lactic flood and how do you know if you have/haven't had one?
    Hi chickey and thanks! Oh you'll know if you have a lactic flood :eek:
    Good question...Ummm how to describe it...for me it's when I've run too hard for the set distance. At a certain stage in the run, depending on where you've upped the pace etc, if you're not paying attention to your body's signals and don't dial back, your muscles are filled with a sort of sticky, burning goo that slows you down and makes everything from there on such.hard.work....
    You've very likely had a lactic flood in a race where you haven't judged the pace accurately?
    If you work just below this threshold on a specific session, from what I understand, you can push the pace back (down) and you now become more comfortable running at all paces below this new lactic threshold.
    You can have your lactic threshold established in a clinical setting but you can also estimate it in other ways. There are plenty on here who can describe it all better than me. I'll try dig up some posts and articles on it later if you like?

Heehee totally!! :D:D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great update DG. Thrilled you're back in business. Astute investment of the children's allowance there ;).

XC starting in a couple of months, can you believe it ?

Heehee it was worth every cent. I got coffee and chocolate biscuit cake while waiting and lunch courtesy of coach's better half after too. Winning! :D

I know i know! Anyway outta here, don't want to be late for nop :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Aw thanks hilly. Any news yet? Have you been yet or on the way?

Am back from my visit now .... this time a very thorough exploration and this physio thinks it might be a stress fracture given the location (2nd metatarsal), running style (on forefoot) and the fact that it's doesn't respond to muscle/tendon tests. So I'm resting and I have to get a X-ray through my GP ... "luckily" I have an appointment about the coughs next Thursday so I can cover it with her then.

He says not to be too worried and it's not as big a deal as it sounds. We can work to improve my running style ... Amazed it might be a stress fracture though as it doesn't seem nearly sore enough. He said I can cycle and swim; I think he might be an undercover recruiter for some triathlon squad :rolleyes: ...
    Thanks FD :) It's like there's some weird boards balance thing going on....you and hilly 'out', me and Adrian back 'in'.... :eek:

Me and FD even had the same injury this winter.
    But otherwise .. not really in-and-out ... I was injured with the ribs even before Adrian (he was only out a couple of weeks, *nothing* ...). I'm the winner of the injury championships :cool:.

I'm the winner of the injury championships :cool:.

I think you are :(. But that has to mean you get a free pass for a year at least after all that!

• Advertisement

Haha hilarious! I actually think she's been spying on the novices thread :pac:

Sat
    AM 5 miles or just over, easy pace
    Lsr with novices in PP
    planned. Excited about this. I have met Singer and Mrs Mc (briefly) and was pretty sure I'd recognise FBOT01 after the run (the whip he cracks over Mrs FBOT01 was sure to give him away :D:D ).
    Whoopsadaisydoodles very kindly met me in her gorgeous red car...you know, the kind you have to practice getting in and out of with any kind of grace....I need lots of practice :o We were in loads of time...until we were sent all around the world to find the Visitors Centre with a vague 'drive down around there, park up and walk across....' *rollseyes*

So, we arrived to see a healthy looking (numbers wise) circle of runners (also healthy looking :D ), Singer included so I knew we had found the right group (Denis, King Mambo, Mrs Mc PJD, lurker Declan, Toulouse, wolfyboy555, FeenaM and Singer. We divided ourselves into two groups, discussed the route, (PJD to lead #1 and Denis to lead #2) and off we went.
    It was a gorgeous morning, a bit ominous really as we knew it would only get hotter as we warmed up. Group #2 headed off on their route soon enough with dire warnings of the consequences of going too fast ringing in their ears.....not me, I swear :)
    Our group of myself, whoopsie, Mrs Mc, Toulouse and PJD settled down nicely and chatted away the first few miles until we left the park. At this stage, whoopsie's hip started to spasm and despite stretching, walking etc it did not want to run so we let Mrs Mc, Toulouse and PJD carry on while we walked back across to the café. We spotted some young deer in the woods and had a good chat so really well worth it :)

Back at the ranch we queued for coffee and cake (starving, chatting is hungry work :pac:) to see FBOT01 and yaboya1 sipping lattes and chewing the cud. Not long after, Adrian arrived after completing his 90 mins (90, Adrian, ahem?!). It took a while for the two groups to come bouncing in (a good thing really, if they had come through any earlier I would have had to glower and look generally fierce etc :pac:). They all seemed happy with the run and did some cursory (clocked ;) ) stretching on the grass while chowing down some café goodies.

More chat and what a cool group of novices we have. Kennyg also turned up at this stage so it was great to put a face to his name too. It was really lovely to meet you all today, well done and thank you PJD on putting this together!

PM 13 miles or just under
    Afterwards I met with Himself and the kids in the playground beside the Visitors Centre and had a mosey through the gorgeous walled garden (*want want want*), filled with beautiful blooms and a wide description of herbs and produce.
    Over the general din of children playing, we discussed the re-scheduling of this weekend's run: tonight, first thing tomorrow morning i.e., 8am, tomorrow evening...or I could be dropped off on the way home *somewhere* far out :eek:
    In the interest of getting it over and done with, I 'chose' to be dropped off at Ringsend and end back in Bray via Booterstown, Blackrock, Deansgrange, cabinteely and Shankill.

This went well. I used my stopwatch to gauge general distance and once I got to Deansgrange and Cornelscourt, I knew I hadn't wildly under/over-estimated the distance and stopped looking, eventually turning the stopwatch off with 4 miles to go. My legs started to gradually tire from around 9 miles but nothing too serious. I also crossed over the road at this stage to give my ankle a break from the camber on the path from the last few miles (whoopsie's similar experience earlier fresh in my mind). The last mile was quite tough but it's up a steep bloody windy hill so I'm never going to bounce up it. Throughout the run, I used my 'sucking in the TA and relaxing the ribcage' trick and not a murmur from my hip. Magic :D
    Legs nicely wrecked tonight (stretched and iced) with memories of marathon training revived quite vividly. Not surprising with a double day totalling 18 miles or thereabouts...

A recovery 35 mins or rest day planned for tomorrow. With a recovery run tomorrow, week would be around 54 miles (:eek: *goes to re-calculate*...yup) without, 50...I am, however, convinced of the value of ticking over so one way or the other, the next two days will be either rest/recovery or recovery/rest.

The week ahead is more of last week, easy and some steady running with no hills or speedwork until the hip strengthens and stabilises. Happy days, it's all good :)

54 miles :eek: *tips hat* wow, really sorry to have missed that run today, hopefully there'll be others I can gatecrash come along too :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Adrian arrived after completing his 90 mins (90, Adrian, ahem?!).

I said I was advised to do 90 mins but since when do I follow advice? I split the difference between what I was told to do and what I wanted to do, seems like a fair compromise.

Anyway, do you not have enough people to give out to? Or are all the novices too good at following good advice?

^^^^ hehehehe :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

By the way that was an epic post, you must have been writing that all evening.

adrian522 wrote: »
    By the way that was an epic post, you must have been writing that all evening.

Movie night for the kids is an essential part of being a distance-running parent. My legs are to f@cked to do stand-up parenting this evening :D

Movie night for the kids is an essential part of being a distance-running parent. My legs are to f@cked to do stand-up parenting this evening :D

I am stealing that concept. Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I am stealing that concept. Genius.

Me too... but when you have 2 very active little boys it's a high risk strategy, you need the full use of your legs at all times :D

Great week for you, DG! I love that your OH dumped you out in Ringsend for the lsr :)

And Adrian... you know she is the mammy/boss of all of us :D

• Advertisement

Weekly breakdown
    Decided to be sensible and had a rest day today (so no rest day Monday, want to keep the legs ticking over).
    Ticked all the boxes on the strength/rehab work this week, admittedly a lot less than last week. Coachy advised that all my energy will go towards running as the mileage ramps up and that rehab etc is for rest days.

50 miles :eek: :cool:
    5 days running
    2 double days: 1 was an aqua jog, the other was Saturday 5/13
    1 (successful) tempo run
    1 lsr
    1 mlr
    2 recovery/easy runs
    2 rest days

Body was wrecked yesterday: like BG, am half expecting to crumble at times but no aches, pains or niggles today. Onwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Weekly breakdown
    Decided to be sensible and had a rest day today (so no rest day Monday, want to keep the legs ticking over).
    Ticked all the boxes on the strength/rehab work this week, admittedly a lot less than last week. Coachy advised that all my energy will go towards running as the mileage ramps up and that rehab etc is for rest days.

5 days running
    21 double day: 1 was an aqua jog, the other was Saturday 5/13
    1 (successful) tempo run
    1 lsr
    1 mlr
    2 recovery/easy runs
    2 rest days

Body was wrecked yesterday: like BG, am half expecting to crumble at times but no aches, pains or niggles today. Onwards :)

Aqua jogging doesn't count.. If I was meeting someone for a run, I wouldn't be wearing my speedos :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

martyboy48 wrote:
    Aqua jogging doesn't count.. If I was meeting someone for a run, I wouldn't be wearing my speedos

If the someone was TbL you never know what you might be expected to wear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice week, DG. All that and managed to keep the novices on the straight and narrow. FairPlay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

FBOT01 wrote: »

Not a word of a lie, but as I typed that I wondered would anyone mention TbL :D:D

While I'm here, great going with the novices DG, I'm not really posting over there, but I'm looking in occasionally reminiscing of times gone by... Great work by you there, and on your recovery :)

Nicely done ;)!

I was thinking I was the bees knees with my 50 when I got a message from a friend in Australia who did 2 back to back marathons over the weekend :eek: She's following this up with a 100K next weekend :rolleyes:

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Aqua jogging doesn't count.. If I was meeting someone for a run, I wouldn't be wearing my speedos :D:D
    No. Neither would I....
    However, it does count as coachy happened to be there too so I had to give it some focus etc :eek:
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    Not a word of a lie, but as I typed that I wondered would anyone mention TbL :D:D

While I'm here, great going with the novices DG, I'm not really posting over there, but I'm looking in occasionally reminiscing of times gone by... Great work by you there, and on your recovery :)
    And thank you :) I am getting a great head of grey hairs :D
    Nicely done ;)!

I was thinking I was the bees knees with my 50 when I got a message from a friend in Australia who did 2 back to back marathons over the weekend :eek: She's following this up with a 100K next weekend :rolleyes:

She's not right..... Must be the heat....

Nice week, DG. All that and managed to keep the novices on the straight and narrow. FairPlay!

Thanks FBOT...Brute force....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If you're taking your novices on a tempo run I could run behind them in my threadbare 1987 Speedos, that would pretty much guarantee a fast run :)

TbL

• Advertisement

If you're taking your novices on a tempo run I could run behind them in my threadbare 1987 Speedos, that would pretty much guarantee a fast run :)

TbL

http://1drv.ms/1N5YGEU

1N5YGEU

Advertisement