Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »

Hmm... not quite my mental image of TbL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Jaysus its like his passport photo.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus its like his passport photo.......

He's quite a catch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

annapr wrote: »

Tnx Anna, I never be caught dead with shades like that :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

annapr wrote: »

Hmm.......what is your mental image of TbL like so, Anna? Feel free to share.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

FBOT01 wrote: »
    what is your mental image of TbL? Feel free to share.:P

What a good idea!

Here's mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What a good idea!

Here's mine

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

He runs like this fella:

tang1 wrote: »
    He runs like this fella:

Ah yea but in a few weeks I'll be going like this ...

Tbl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ah yea but in a few weeks I'll be going like this ...

Tbl

I have to ask - what did you google to come up with that pic??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

If you're taking your novices on a tempo run I could run behind them in my threadbare 1987 Speedos, that would pretty much guarantee a fast run :)

TbL
    Yes but then they would be going too fast and I would have to give out (again...). How about something more modest?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Yes but then they would be going too fast and I would have to give out (again...). How about something more modest?

Jaysus I'm shuddering at the thoughts of the chaffing that would be involved wearing that - maybe that's why TbL waddles so much :D

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I have to ask - what did you google to come up with that pic??

"Duck with a rocket up his ass", had to filter some dodgy stuff :)

Jezus DG, that's extreme and where would I carry my gels...maybe best not to answer that!!!
    Jaysus I'm shuddering at the thoughts of the chaffing that would be involved wearing that - maybe that's why TbL waddles so much :D

It's the G string effect at the rear that causes it TJ :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Well DG, you heading down the track this Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

"Duck with a rocket up his ass", had to filter some dodgy stuff :)

Jezus DG, that's extreme and where would I carry my gels...maybe best not to answer that!!!

It's the G string effect at the rear that causes it TJ :)

TbL

Jayzis look what I started... based on TbL's own descriptions, I had been envisioning something more like...

fat-runner.jpg

Anna, I take extreme exception to that photo it's over a year old and I've lost at least 10lb since then :)

TbL

log w/b Mon 10 Aug 2015

Mon
    Rec jog, 44 mins. Ok, v easy pace.

Tue
    10.xx miles/hip rehab done
    No niggles this morning on waking (stiff heel etc) hallebloodylujah :D
    Up and out by 8am (eat my shorts Tom Joad ;) ) for an easy 10 miles.
    Eased into it: 3 miles to local park followed by 36 mins meandering around on grass then 3 miles on road home.

What a gorgeous morning. Oh my inner goddess; the sky never seemed so blue, the grass never greener and the view when I went over the railway bridge of the distant calm sea twinkling in the morning sun....breathtaking. I ran into (not literally) a fellow clubmate walking his dog and he got the benefit of my early morning buzz with a solid peck on the cheek as we passed. Seriously, it was a perfect run on a perfect morning. And done and dusted by (my classification) early morning! :cool:

Wed
    AM (again no hobbledy limping getting out of bed) 9am aqua jog, 40 mins
    PM 8+ miles on road and mainly grass. This was a great run. Pace wasn't specified on the schedule (the assumption for base building is all easy/comfortable?) but I felt really good on this from the get-go and had to rein myself in more than once :o Probably in the steady-but-not-quite-tempo zone, breathing at all times comfortable....
    Another gorgeous evening for running :)
    Wore my flats, not my brightest idea and won't be doing this again in a hurry. I got away with it (*fingers and bits crossed*) this time but niggles were slightly more present than they should have been.
    So 23+ miles down for the week and three more days' running left, including a 16 miler :eek: Actually, no :eek: ing, I am loving it :)

(eat my shorts Tom Joad ;) )

I just want it noted that I'm on my second generous measure of the finest single malt scottish whiskey and I resisted making a puerile comment - I'm rather proud of myself :D

Nice running btw!

I just want it noted that I'm on my second generous measure of the finest single malt scottish whiskey and I resisted making a puerile comment - I'm rather proud of myself :D

Nice running btw!
    Hehe sounds like they were well deserved! Great running :)

Thur: 10 miles
    AM 35 mins
    rec pace/effort

PM plan for today was 8 miles but because I had done 4+ this morn, I decided to do 1 hour easy max around the park as club did their various sessions. Was running late so cycled the three miles there like a mad wan (getting nowhere fast, I am not a cyclist :o )
    Another gorgeous evening to run and the company of a clubmate on a taper helped the minutes fly by. Bit weird tho when he asked 'so you're enjoying coaching the novices then...?' *pause* 'ohhhhh....sh....t...how'd you know??!!' Hehe thanks C :D

Stopped at 44 mins as everyone was winding up and debated fitting in another mile with *anyone* on a warm down (monkey on my back clawing my shoulders...) but decided to just leave it and joined in the group stretching session*. Virtuous. And cycled home.

*Just as well really as the 16 mile lsr is now scheduled for tomorrow evening...

Hip and achilles rehab done + squats

Fri
    Planned:
    Lsr 16 miles with three clubmates
    Actual: 17 lmr (1+16)

I jogged one mile to the meeting place for lsr. One clubmate was doing 10 and the rest of us were doing 16...but the other two had done four miles to get to the meeting place. This was all grand, we had our various crossovers and departure points worked out...until nearly an hour into the run when I realised I had forgotton to turn my watch back on after a brief water stop 34 minutes into my run :rolleyes:

I spent more time than it warranted trying to figure out how I was going to figure out what I needed to do :o The garminater feedback was that pace was ranging from around 8:20 to 7:50. My inner metronome was telling me it was a comfortable 8/8:05 average so decided to work out a rough 'time on feet' range. But then we remembered (if we discounted my first mile) S and J were four miles ahead of me so all I had to do was run to their finish point and finish off on my own back to my house...which happened to be a nice tidy four miles :D
    You still with me? No, don't blame you :)

So apart from all this, the run was an absolute boom. We meandered around the park fields (I think I've been running there every day this week and it still hasn't got boring) chatting and laughing. Before the run, I was apprehensive because I wasn't sure if the pace increased that I'd be able to stay with them and still feel comfortable. That didn't happen. At a few stages I was just buzzing about how strong and comfortable I felt.

By Mile 14.5 to home, I knew I had been on my feet and my legs were complaining but the last mile is up a steep enough fecking hill so that's allowed.

So 50 miles over the last consecutive 5 days. I am starting to feel strong and just really really enjoying this base building phase. I also appreciate the enforced rest in June/July, a rest which I would have been told to take anyway. I time my injuries well ;) It has all worked out to the good, I feel fresh.
    The next two days will see out the week with one recovery run and one rest day. If I rest tomorrow, Sunday's run could be up to 10k, if I rest Sunday, I shall probably leave it at 35 mins tomorrow.
    Step back week on Monday.

• Advertisement

Saturday
    Rest

Probably counts as a cross training day: 10k cycle to Charlesland track to help at the Athletics Wicklow 'Have a Go' T&F day and 10k cycle home. Probably not the best thing to do the morning after a lsr but was able to take things reasonably easy for the rest of the day.

All helpers were 'encouraged' to take part in the 800m warm up on the track. Legs were not feeling any love for me and I don't blame them. I was asked on several occasions if I was 'sure I didn't want to compete?' And yes I was 'very sure thank you' but had a tiny regret that I didn't bite the bullet and have a go at the javelin and a couple of the other field events (probably the only one my body would have been capable of was the shot). It's a great concept and a non-threatening way to experience T&F events for the first time. Will definitely 'have a go' at the field events in spring when the organisers plan to hold the next meet.

Also got to shake AFKA BON out of his tree, had to be me who said hello first meet Wild Garlic finally :)

Sunday
    4.25m rec run
    . Bit of a slog tbh
    Check:
    - Hip stability rehab
    - Achilles rehab
    - proprioception work
    - DS core

Weekly total: 54 miles (first time over 50)
    Weekly breakdown:
    1 rest day
    6 days running incl
    - two double days (1 aqua/run)
    - 1 lsr
    - 1 mlr
    - 1 nearly-tempo/steady run

To do this week: Go.To.Bed.Early.Every.Bloody.Night.
    Step back this week, (34 miles) then back to the high 40s/50 mark the week after, both weeks starting to build a structured tempo progression.
    Two road races planned in the XC build up: Blessington Lakes 10k and HM, probable Charleville but would prefer Race Series just for convenience.

Mon
    Rest, complete :)

Tue
    PM
    Plan: 10 to include 4m tempo at 6:40-7 pm/mi pace
    Actual: 10.25 inc 4m tempo (all continuous) but couldn't hit paces comfortably enough tonight.

Ouch ouch ouch. This was a bust. I felt fresh enough jogging the three miles to the park and worked out my route (3 laps of 2k ea plus 400m add on*). I turned the watch on at the park gates and off I went. I was going to aim more for the 6:50-7 range. The effort felt right and at one stage I even wondered if it was too fast...
    However, a glance at the watch around the one mile mark put me straight (7:35). This was a surprise. The 2k mark read 9:20 (again, 7:30 pace) so I knew something was up. I turned the watch off shortly after and focused on effort levels, no use flogging myself against a watch to go faster as that would have meant too much energy expended for a tempo.

I'm putting it down to a mix of heat and sleep (lack of). Sleep has really suffered the last week and it's totally my own fault (ok I'm going to be a bit underhand here and implicate the 2yo too). Aunty Flo has also been visiting but this was at the end of her visit and it didn't really feel like her influence if you know what I mean?

Bit of a mix up with the schedule this week. I had interpreted Saturday's 'park,10' as 10 miles to include a parkrun....it was actually the FD 10 but as myself, J and S aren't racing it, we now had to do 18 miles....We all have busy weekends ahead so rescheduled it for Thursday evening, taking in the hills around Killiney :eek: So much for a step back week. I will, however, definitely be taking the rest of the week easy.....

Edit: NOT a mix up, schedule has been changed to 'not a step back week' due to none of us racing, the advice is to keep building the lsrs...and do another 11 over the weekend....Balls :(

Thur
    18 mile lsr avg pace 8:22
    This was a boom :)
    It took a while for the miles to start flying in (the Vico Hill early in sorta made the 'effort' vs 'distance covered' not tally) but once we got past Dun Laoghaire, we hit the fast forward button (time, not pace). Like the usual lsrs there were dips in fatigue and/or mental process but these never lasted more than 400m or so it seemed. We hit a sub 8 pace often enough but pulled back as it was more about 'just getting it done'.
    After 12-13 miles fatigue and thirst set in in varying degrees but nothing too uncomfortable. The legs were on autopilot at this stage and I felt that the forthcoming hills on the way back through Dalkey and Killiney would knock the rhythm - and stuffing - out of them but the opposite happened, it was like they wound up even further and propelled me up. Nice, but of course it still extracted a toll.
    I have to say that the physio tip I got last week of activating my transverse abs and relaxing my rib cage works like an absolute dream. It seems to realign the lower lumbar region when fatiguing, propelling it forwards again and the result is nearly like getting a shot of something...my stride picks up, evens out and any signs of fatigue are banished (until the next activation...).
    Inspired by Jake on the novices thread, I even had an ice bath (ok, a cold bath but it was 10pm) after...that worked a treat. My lower half was so numb it felt no pain :D:D

*yeah yeah I know, plus 36m :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

taking in the hills around Killiney :eek:
    Thur
    18 mile lsr avg pace 8:22
    This was a boom :)

I have to say that the physio tip I got last week of activating my transverse abs and relaxing my rib cage works like an absolute dream. It seems to realign the lower lumbar region when fatiguing, propelling it forwards again and the result is nearly like getting a shot of something...my stride picks up, evens out and any signs of fatigue are banished (until the next activation...).

extra brownie points for those hills!!!! I must get a demo from you on the transverse abs, sounds like something we could all do with learning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How are you doing that exactly? Do you just press the "Activate Transverse Abs" button?

Murph_D wrote: »
    How are you doing that exactly? Do you just press the "Activate Transverse Abs" button?
    Yeah, have you not had one installed? There again, you'll probably need an upgrade and I'm not sure they operate off the older platforms.....:p

extra brownie points for those hills!!!! I must get a demo from you on the transverse abs, sounds like something we could all do with learning :)
    I'll try get an accurate description 'how to' but probably best demonstrated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Yeah, have you not had one installed? There again, you'll probably need an upgrade and I'm not sure they operate off the older platforms.....:p

Upgrades are only required for the new platforms that were built badly in the first place. :p:p
    I'll try get an accurate description 'how to' but probably best demonstrated :)

Upload the video so....betya the auldfella gets it first time :cool:

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Upgrades are only required for the new platforms that were built badly in the first place. :p:p

Upload the video so....betya the auldfella gets it first time :cool:

Awww sweet. The aulfellas sticking together.... ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Inspired by Jake on the novices thread, I even had an ice bath (ok, a cold bath but it was 10pm) after...that worked a treat. My lower half was so numb it felt no pain :D:D
    Sorry i cant take the credit for the ice baths, JacEim is your iceman

• Advertisement

jake1970 wrote: »
    Sorry i cant take the credit for the ice baths, JacEim is your iceman
    Ah I knew it was one of 'the J-men' :D You should try it, it works!

Advertisement