Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's a pretty good week Dubgal. Drinks, dancing and some good sessions! Ouch re. hip though, hope it's nothing. At the risk of nagging (:D) are you doing your core work ??
    Good luck with the Goal mile if you end up doing it. I don't think I'd be let away with it this year and I'm probably better off saving my legs for the Fat Turkey. Have a good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's a pretty good week Dubgal. Drinks, dancing and some good sessions! Ouch re. hip though, hope it's nothing. At the risk of nagging (:D) are you doing your core work ??
    Good luck with the Goal mile if you end up doing it. I don't think I'd be let away with it this year and I'm probably better off saving my legs for the Fat Turkey. Have a good one!

Haha, it's been a busy one alright! And.....nagging appreciated but, no :( I haven't. I really need to incorporate this into a routine, as well as a few ancillary exercises. How do you do it BG? Anyone else any tips? I have to say I'm pretty ashamed at how woeful I am. I know all about the six weeks to form a habit theory...I need some tips for kicking off the six weeks...
    Same to you, best of luck with it. You sound as if you are feeling good. Always a good sign :)
    Thanks for the nag :D. Merry Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

These twice a week (ssh I know it's from the dark side :D) - don't take too long and you will see the results in no time. Well explained too.

Another option is to take a circuits class once a week - I used to be terrible at doing core work at home but at least a circuits class forces me to do some work.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

These twice a week (ssh I know it's from the dark side :D) - don't take too long and you will see the results in no time. Well explained too.

Another option is to take a circuits class once a week - I used to be terrible at doing core work at home but at least a circuits class forces me to do some work.

Thanks, I will definitely have a proper look at them later. I like the way it is not just crunches. It really is a case of allocating some time for them and sticking to it (as opposed to putting it mid-way down my list of things to do for the day :D )
    Maybe the minute the 2yo goes down for a nap? "Straight to core...do not deviate...do not procrastinate..." (said in poor imitation dalek voice).

A circuit class would be a good solution but at the moment I am using all my 'get out of the house' cards for running :D
    Bungy Girl allocates Monday as one day for core etc, something I should be doing too as that is also my non-running day.
    Thanks again TJ!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    A circuit class would be a good solution but at the moment I am using all my 'get out of the house' cards for running :D
    Bungy Girl allocates Monday as one day for core etc, something I should be doing too as that is also my non-running day.
    Thanks again TJ!

I'm sure it would probably be better if I did 'little and often' as opposed to the current Monday madness but a girl has to maximise those Get Out Of The House cards ;) I try to do another Pilates class and/or a Body Balance class on a Friday too, but if that doesn't happen I'll do some of the exercises at home when Bungy Jr's asleep. When I was coming back from a bad back injury and the core work was critical, I'd prioritise it and not allow myself to run until I'd done it. That sort of discipline escapes me now that my back is better :o but prevention is definitely better than cure so I'm going to look at creating some short workouts (another New Years resolution) that I can do at home e.g. a 10 min/15 min/20 min set that I can do maybe 3 times a week in the house. Maybe something like that would work for you too ? Create a playlist to go with it and put a (nagging) reminder in your phone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I'm sure it would probably be better if I did 'little and often' as opposed to the current Monday madness but a girl has to maximise those Get Out Of The House cards ;) I try to do another Pilates class and/or a Body Balance class on a Friday too, but if that doesn't happen I'll do some of the exercises at home when Bungy Jr's asleep. When I was coming back from a bad back injury and the core work was critical, I'd prioritise it and not allow myself to run until I'd done it. That sort of discipline escapes me now that my back is better :o but prevention is definitely better than cure so I'm going to look at creating some short workouts (another New Years resolution) that I can do at home e.g. a 10 min/15 min/20 min set that I can do maybe 3 times a week in the house. Maybe something like that would work for you too ? Create a playlist to go with it and put a (nagging) reminder in your phone :D

When I was disciplined in this regard I found fitness blender was good for short 15/20 min core workouts. Trouble is if you break the routine at all its hard to go back!

Thanks sfM, I'll look into that too. Merry Christmas to you and yours :)

Ok, I didn't make my Christmas Eve planned 10k, and my default 'make up' for that would have been a Goal mile on Christmas Day but I didn't make that either. Not great in the short term but in the bigger scheme of things, so what?!

So by today I was absolutely ITCHING for a run... by Christmas night I informed himself I would be *quote unquote* leaping out of bed FIRST THING (my emphasis) and heading off for a looooong run. Ha.

And after the usual procrastination, lie-ins (not mine this morning), procrastination and teeth brushing (never had a good run on gritty teeth) I finally left the house just after midday. The original intention was for a lsr, 10 miles or so but very possibly more. I have my countdown schedule sorted for next week's XC race sorted and today allowed for an extension - especially after two days of festival rest - so I left the OH with instructions to come looking for me if I didn't return after two hours.

It has been a wet day today. I noticed that but ventured out in fleece leggings and a short sleeved t shirt. I figured I'd be warm, cos I'd be running for a while. It was a great run but not the wisest run. The rain was of the COLD variety so two hours running was not particularly bright but y'know, today I needed to just get out and run..... (Log title ref)

I tried holding myself back but decided to go with the flow by mile 7. I know I am a newbie at all the science of running slow and within heart beat but sometimes you just have to go by how you feel and just run because you fecking love it and that's what I did. I was feeling strong, ridiculously strong for a lsr. I knew that I would have the wind in my face on the way home and was prepared for a bit of grit but a funny thing happened, I actually increased my pace cos I could, so I did. The wind dictated that I leaned into it and was therefore following a perfect full body lean chi running stance. Of course that didn't last forever and with 3 miles to go I was feeling the pinch but feck it, I had done 12 miles by then so could afford to relax.
    A rough 'maymyrun' guide showed that I had run 15 miles in about 2hrs 5mins give or take. I finished soaked, cold and stiff but a few stretches, a hot bath and shower (feckin bath ran cold) and a glass of red (cough cough) = all's well that ends well :D

Sounds awesome. A good day to run :)

Jaysus you nutcase! Well done. In my new invigorated embrace the core work phase I did Jillians Michaels 6 week, 6 pack workout on Christmas Eve and today! It's tough but I have followed her 30 day shred before and it is effective! There is a good mix in it, try it! However I'm that sore I won't be able to get out of the bed in the morning.

• Advertisement

Sounds awesome. A good day to run :)
    It really was, a day that leaves you feeling especially runnerish. In the first few k, I copped a few glances from walkers that probably involved an eye roll but I sent those eye rolls right back: they were the crazy ones, any clear sighted person could see that walking wasn't going to get you anywhere on a day like that ;)
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Jaysus you nutcase! Well done. In my new invigorated embrace the core work phase I did Jillians Michaels 6 week, 6 pack workout on Christmas Eve and today! It's tough but I have followed her 30 day shred before and it is effective! There is a good mix in it, try it! However I'm that sore I won't be able to get out of the bed in the morning.
    SfM thanks AGain!! And promise me you will rest those poor michaeled muscles in the morning, you owe it to them to stay in bed!

It really was, a day that leaves you feeling especially runnerish. In the first few k, I copped a few glances from walkers that probably involved an eye roll but I sent those eye rolls right back: they were the crazy ones, any clear sighted person could see that walking wasn't going to get you anywhere on a day like that ;)
    SfM thanks AGain!! And promise me you will rest those poor michaeled muscles in the morning, you owe it to them to stay in bed!

Too right my friend! I'm sipping the vino here and unless there is a child shot with one of the nerf guns Santa left I'm not leaving the bed til it's fit to run! ( after 11 am)

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Too right my friend! I'm sipping the vino here and unless there is a child shot with one of the nerf guns Santa left I'm not leaving the bed til it's fit to run! ( after 11 am)
    Love it :) my turn for a lie-in too, happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Run because you fecking love it! Now that should be the name of a log!!

Saturday 27 Dec
    5 miles v easy recovery run. Didn't feel too wrecked after the craziness of yesterday's run

Sunday 28 Dec
    This was meant to be a 10 miler incl 4 miles fartlek but mulled wine and Christmas cake for friends in my kitchen at 5.30 time constraints meant I swapped it with this Tuesday's session. So:

10k incl form hill drills: 4*70m and 4*90m, walk back recovery. Felt good on these but might have been doing them too fast...it's hard to maintain good form on a hill going slow?

The 600 or so calories expended here were quickly used up shortly after.... :o

Weekly total: 36 (4 runs)

Monday 29 Dec
    Rest/physio second opinion session. Physio spotted something chiro had not been working on, also very very happy it is most likely piriformis tenseness and nothing more sinister. Phew :D
    So I have four more exercises to add to my repertoire (no eye rolls please, I am starting my resolutions....tomorrow :o )

That's great news from the physio! Always a relief to know there's nothing out of the ordinary going on.

On the hill drills I don't think you can really do them too fast. As far as I know the short reps should be done very fast with plenty of recovery just like you're doing. But I'm no expert (and it'll be a while before I drag myself up a hill again ;)).

Good luck with the resolutions!

Thanks, yeah it makes sense to blast them, I've still to find the perfect hill/gradient of 50-80 m. Enjoyed this one though, a real no pressure session (unlike your recent experience!)

Tuesday 30 December

9 miles incl 5 miles fartlek (4*2k lap), surges from 100m to 400m and one progressive surge of 600m, all continuous running.

This was tough for a few reasons. I didn't get out till 11.30 and for one reason or another (elderly neighbour called to ask me to help her down the road etc) I didn't get to eat. To prop myself up I brought an isotonic drink for before and after.
    Another reason for toughness was the going underfoot, icy and mucky but I used what I hope will be the 2k lap for the Masters XC this Saturday and surged where I know the going will get tough during the race.

Still managed to maintain a decent pace and finished with that feeling in your legs when you know you've had a good session :)

No session planned before Saturday: recovery run tomorrow, a few strides to shake the legs out Thursday and rest Friday.

How long is the race on Sat ? Sounds like good prep today. No pressure but we're expecting greatness :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Good luck Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

We'll be disappointed with anything other than a win, given your last performance :D

How long is the race on Sat ? Sounds like good prep today. No pressure but we're expecting greatness :D.

It's 4k so a whole kilometre shorter than the seniors, happy days. I am not sandbagging (is that the right term?!) but it may well be a tougher race than the seniors if the few runners who were injured etc are back on form. Never mind, I will be giving it some welly :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    We'll be disappointed with anything other than a win, given your last performance :D
    Aw feck off ye Fecker :D:D

Wednesday 31 December

5 miles recovery run to finish off what has been a really satisfying year running wise. When I picked up my asics 50 weeks or so ago, I didn't imagine that I would have 'raced' a 10 mile, raced a half marathon, completed a marathon, run 20:33 for 5k...and the icing on the cake (actually marzipan, I much prefer the marzipan), a senior county title under my belt. My running club have to take a lot of the credit, they are simply, the friendliest and most supportive bunch. And boardsies...what can I say? You guys rock :)

Best of luck to everyone for 2015. I hope you all have a year free of injury and full of satisfaction (including of course PBs!).

Wicklow Masters Cross Country Championships Sat 3 Jan 2014

No spoiler today :)
    Brief race report: the 'competition' that I felt was absent in the Seniors were back with a bang today; my clubmate (sub 40 10k), a Parnell athlete and 'CC' from greystones. So Yaboya, I have to confess you are going to be disappointed but I feel that I have proved to myself the Senior's win wasn't a flash in the pan...2nd to CC with less than a metre to spare at the end. This was a real race, close run all the way with 3-5 in the group and no sure outcome. Looks like our team got gold too so happy happy out. Men's team did well too with 3rd place and a definite team place too.

More later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Brief race report: the 'competition' that I felt was absent in the Seniors were back with a bang today; my clubmate (sub 40 10k), a Parnell athlete and 'CC' from greystones. So Yaboya, I have to confess you are going to be disappointed but I feel that I have proved to myself the Senior's win wasn't a flash in the pan...2nd to CC with less than a metre to spare at the end. This was a real race, close run all the way with 3-5 in the group and no sure outcome. Looks like our team got gold too so happy happy out. Men's team did well too with 3rd place and a definite team place too.

More later!
    Fab! Can't wait to read more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

More later!
    Great stuff! Was hoping to get there today(spectator) but alas, wasn't to be. Looking forward to the report, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

More later!

Fcuking hell!
    You know I was obviously joking right?
    That's a fantastic result.
    Well done you :)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Fcuking hell!
    You know I was obviously joking right?
    That's a fantastic result.
    Well done you :)
    FFS why didn't you say so??! If I'd known that, I would have held back and settled for fourth...or fifth :D Thanks :) Happier with this than the Seniors if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Great stuff! Was hoping to get there today(spectator) but alas, wasn't to be. Looking forward to the report, well done
    Yeah I see we're from the same neck of the woods. We'll have to figure out who we are (non-existential-angstily) and introduce ourselves next time. Thanks :)

Advertisement