Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done DG, super race and report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done Dubgal, congrats on the PB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

well done you!!! super race report :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great going, A. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB Dubgal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done! Great race and great report. Shame I didn't get to see you, I couldn't hang around as I had visitors.
    Thanks A, hehe well done for getting out for the race with visitors! Hopefully see you at the half.
    annapr wrote: »
    Great running, A... you and your club mates! Well done on a new pb! :)
    Thanks Anna, you know you and A got me that sub-42 ;) Now up your game and get me that sub-41 :p
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super time and placing ! Well done, great report too. I'm still stuffing my face so will do my write up later :D
    Thanks! Hehe you too, won't be long before you're top-10ing
    Well done on another very good race. I know you would have liked a faster time but you're improving from every race and chipping away at your PB all the time so lots to be taken from it :)
    Thanks missus, you're right you know. Just got to be patient....(hope FBOT is not reading this :o )
    nop98 wrote: »
    Well done DG, super race and report!
    Thanks N :)
    diego_b wrote: »
    Well done Dubgal, congrats on the PB!
    Thanks diego, well done yourself! Flying :)
    Firedance wrote: »
    well done you!!! super race report :)
    Thanks AM, and yourself. That sub 50 is getting closer and closer :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Great going, A. Congrats.
    Thanks Murph. Am happy overall. just not so happy underall :)

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB Dubgal.

Thanks Jake. Onwards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nice one Dubgal, great running in the middle of heavy training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done on the pb.

You say you're slightly disappointed though. What time were you expecting to run? (maybe I've missed it somewhere but I thought sub 42 was your immediate target for 10k)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Well done, A. A PB is always a good day. Enjoy the 16 miler:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Congrats on the PB.
    We probably crossed paths at some point today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Happy PB and great report! Sounds like a nice race setup there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done DG - a PB is always a good thing, a PB in a "see where you're at" race is a pleasant surprise in my book! Its always tricky trying to sharpen the mind enough for these

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Well done. Great report and PB. I didn't really appreciate those signs on the hill at 6k as much as you - it was never ending :eek:

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nice one Dubgal, great running in the middle of heavy training.
    Thanks P! I'll take it :)
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done on the pb.

You say you're slightly disappointed though. What time were you expecting to run? (maybe I've missed it somewhere but I thought sub 42 was your immediate target for 10k)
    Hi P, yeah I'll explain a bit more. My disappointment lies more with my perception of pace and effort. I was disappointed I was so off. Had a good chat with coachy today which put to bed some concerns. I also need to treat the 10k like a 1500 and to dig in each lap/km as KU advised in the 1500.
    If I am totally honest, my main disappointment is that I was so far off my clubmates (2 mins). I thought the differential would be more like 1 minute. But it was a 'see where you are race' and now I know where I am :)
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well done, A. A PB is always a good day. Enjoy the 16 miler:eek:
    Thanks M :) You're right, it is
    ...And I didn't :)
    outforarun wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB.
    We probably crossed paths at some point today.
    You too, bloody great report! Well done on the PB. You just churn out consistency and it is paying off. And shame that we missed each other, would love to say hello :) Another time!
    Singer wrote: »
    Happy PB and great report! Sounds like a nice race setup there too.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Well done DG - a PB is always a good thing, a PB in a "see where you're at" race is a pleasant surprise in my book! Its always tricky trying to sharpen the mind enough for these
    Thanks D! You're absolutely right and a PB is a Pb is a PB :)
    kildaremum wrote: »
    Well done. Great report and PB. I didn't really appreciate those signs on the hill at 6k as much as you - it was never ending :eek:
    Awww another miss :( Did you have a good run overall? Would loved to have said hello. And thanks :)

log report w/beg Mon 31 Aug

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    45 mins easy + 6x100m strides towards end. Nice easy pace (with hungover brother :pac: ) and on strides felt strangely fluid considering Sunday's exertions.

Wed
    No aqua jog, new routine with kiddie #1 starting school means new routine...with everything :eek: Not looking good finding a slot for this for a while...

Running: unscheduled rest as brother returned to Oz. Lots of wine over dinner :o

Thur
    5-6 miles easy. Stewarding at Fit4Life 5k in local park. May have scolded a boardsie for looking too cheerful at around the halfway point :D

Fri
    3.5 easy with 4x100m strides

Sat
    Blessington Lakes 10k, as reported

Sun
    16 on empty...
    Oh heavens thankfully there won't be too many weekends like this. We were scheduled for 16 easy following yesterday's race. I know the theory re training your legs to run 'on tired' but have been mistrustful and sceptical of this theory. Nothing happened during this run to convince me otherwise :) Tis done anyway...

Four of us met before 8am for this, done and dusted just after 10 so that may have been the only good thing about this run. Ok maybe slight drama queen element here... the legs felt fresh enough up until mile fourish and began to pinch incrementally from then. Much of this (the second two thirds) was done on loops around the grass in our local park. I'd like to say the miles flew by in great company but only half of this sentence is true. By mile 14 I was ready to scream if we were set do do another loop. Luckily we made for the park exit at this stage and home. I have to say I had pretty much emptied the tank not too long after mile 14. Our group broke into two and two with one mile to go (me in the rear group) but myself and my clubmate still managed to surge strongly over the last half mile. Wise or not? Probably not but I think that's what you do when you run in company.
    The pace was also on the faster side of easy for me but sometimes you have to weigh long run company vs solo-doing-your-own-pace.

My heel (underside) is a bit tender after this weekend's work, I wore my racers on Saturday and it took a bit of a pounding. Will be keeping an eye on this and treating it with lots of tlc and some careful icing.

Coffee and cake after, got the week's schedule too; another fairly high mileage week to include a mlr, a tempo on Thursday and another 18 on Sunday, all to be sandwiched with easy runs (incl strides) of an hour. Easy runs of an hour eh, who'da thunk running could be so paradoxical :D

Weekly breakdown 40 or so miles
    5 days running incl
    3 easy runs, 2 with strides
    1 race, PB
    1 ls/mr 16 miles on tired legs

Rehab, DS work done. No proprioception :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Another great run DG - nice report too.

Thanks TJ :)

[QUOTEAwww another miss :( Did you have a good run overall? Would loved to have said hello. And thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Overall I had a good run, just did it the hard way, with the 1st mile too fast. I wanted to run under 48 and I did 47.48 which is a post 50's pb and got me 1st over 55:). I train much better than I race - I tend to forget how old I am and I'm running out of time to rectify that (age wise :eek:)

Fantastic, well done! So I actually saw you on the podium? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Overall I had a good run, just did it the hard way, with the 1st mile too fast. I wanted to run under 48 and I did 47.48 which is a post 50's pb and got me 1st over 55:). I train much better than I race - I tend to forget how old I am and I'm running out of time to rectify that (age wise :eek:)

Fantastic result. Congratulations ! Hope you got a nice prize ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Fantastic result. Congratulations ! Hope you got a nice prize ?

Thanks - yes, lovely prize - a 50 euro voucher for Amphibian King and I need new runners :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

[QUOTEAwww another miss :( Did you have a good run overall? Would loved to have said hello. And thanks :)

Overall I had a good run, just did it the hard way, with the 1st mile too fast. I wanted to run under 48 and I did 47.48 which is a post 50's pb and got me 1st over 55:). I train much better than I race - I tend to forget how old I am and I'm running out of time to rectify that (age wise :eek:)[/QUOTE]

Ah... now I can picture you!! you looked great on the course, like a young wan! :)

log w/beg Mon 7 Sept 2015

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    Plan: 12
    Actual: 105 mins - 30 mins on road and grass, got called away, managed to resume about 45 mins later with another 75 mins. Legs tired enough, glad to be able to do this at my own pace. A few niggles when finished, toe areas niggling as well as heel on left foot.

Wed
    Plan: 60 mins incl strides
    Actual: zilch. Could feel a cold beginning to hit so combined with feeling lethargic, I put the 'addict voice' in a box and took the night off. Good call, I'm proud of myself :D

Thur
    Plan: 10 incl 4 tempo
    Actual: 6 easy
    ... ok so the 'addict voice' tried it on a bit here :o
    I decided to jog to the park to meet with my clubmates by which stage I would be able to gauge how the legs were feeling. Worst case scenario? Try the tempo and drop out or jog four miles around the park and head home after....
    Knew before I reached the park the legs weren't going to co-operate in any shape or form. Was also bloody staaaaarving on the way home :confused: Feed a cold, starve a fever?! Anyway, did that and had an early night.
    Feeling a bit sheepish as pretty sure I haven't helped my immune system over the last few weeks with needless late nights :o I had some signs that all was not well - apart from yawning all the time - skin breaking out etc. Time to invest in some free recovery i.e., sleep...

Fri
    Plan: 45-60 mins easy
    Actual: 3 easy, round trip to physio
    All good here. Had a really thorough session: I had been worried about cracks and aches all around the toe area in both feet, as well as tenderness in the plantar area :eek: Nothing to worry about, all connected to muscle tightness due to recent mileage and all very treatable. Oh yeah, knew there was something else... I had said that I was worried about the toe area being possible early stress fractures (keeping TbL's experiences in mind....) so while he examined both areas very thoroughly, he asked me if I'd ever had a bone density scan. I was able to reply 'yes' to this, and very recently :) After my spotlight stint, a very kind boardsie approached me by PM and suggested that a Dexa (bone density scan) would be a good idea in light of my previous history as a teen. So I did and it was all good. I never would have thought of doing this so a big, big thanks to the boardsie who recommended this.

Good news too in that physio reckons I'm not as tired/knackered as I made out to be :D (mobility and range of motion tests were good, all stable and strong). Had some muscle release 'therapy' in the calves and surprised myself today on how successful focusing on the pain and relaxing into it was.

So not sure about the rest of the weekend. An hour tomorrow and another 18 miler (up Glencree again) was planned. Can't do Glencree anyway cos of physio decree so will play it by ear and if that means no running, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

glad to hear you're listening to your body :) how's the cold now? physio session sounds interesting 'muscle release therapy' is that the same as when they beat the cr*ap out of your calves :D

Firedance wrote: »
    glad to hear you're listening to your body :) how's the cold now? physio session sounds interesting 'muscle release therapy' is that the same as when they beat the cr*ap out of your calves :D

Thanks FD, sort of still there. Waiting to see what it's going to do i.e., hopefully stay in the head!
    Sort of....you know that pressing on the knot bit...so hard it feels like you're cramping?! :eek: ....that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done kildaremum :)
    (always wondered what this lurker was doing racing-wise)

Glad to see DG rehabbed and pushing the limits again.

Glad to see DG rehabbed and pushing the limits again.

(and of course I hope the toes are not hiding the dreaded stress fracture ... but wise to check it out)

(and of course I hope the toes are not hiding the dreaded stress fracture ... but wise to check it out)

Thanks hilly, physio was very thorough, doing all sorts of gentle but firm manipulation of my toes, he seemed very sure it was muscular i.e., tension in the muscle from my calves, through the bottom of the foot and all the way to the big toe. So more stretches to the repertoire :eek:
    How are you getting on? *takes self over to log*

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks hilly, physio was very thorough, doing all sorts of gentle but firm manipulation of my toes, he seemed very sure it was muscular i.e., tension in the muscle from my calves, through the bottom of the foot and all the way to the big toe. So more stretches to the repertoire :eek:

Ah good. So you just need to back off a small bit.
    How are you getting on? *takes self over to log*

Ok ... Am learning to swim! Am going to see the physio Tuesday week, but there is still some discomfort walking so it will probably be too early for the running then. Only a little bit sore tbh, but it was kinda always like that. Would still be hoping for 2nd Oct which is 8 weeks of no running. Was having a read of TbLs stress fracture logs just now and it's nice to see the 6-8 weeks rest worked for someone. Good laugh too :)

Advertisement