Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sat
    Rest
    :rolleyes:

Sun
    17/18
    Missed the 8am hill run up Glencree (himself's turn for a night out/lie-on), physio had advised against it anyway until calves and heel loosened out fully. The cold seems to have gone - or at least is on the way out - so I decided to risk a couple of hours after taking the kids swimming.
    Good call really, the rain had stopped by then. Ordinarily, rain wouldn't bother me but I'm pretty sure two hours in the rain with a cold would be a direct invite for said cold to return with a vengeance....

Jogged the 4.5 miles to park, met up with whoopsa for a very enjoyable few k (was it 3 or 4 loops we did?) and carried on the long way home....the very long way actually :) It was mostly intentional, at this stage I knew my head, legs and body felt good so added an extra loop on which stretched the intended 2hours/15 miles to 17 or 18.

All good though, and I have to say I am loving my good old hard-working legs lately. I smiled several times during this evening's run, just for the pure pleasure of being out there running...

Nice enough taper this week, hopefully will leave the legs fresh enough for Charleville. Not sure what to target, the 10k last week was a little disappointing so I think I'll be happy with anything under 1:35 (last/only HM was 12 months ago, 1:41:08).

Weekly total 38 miles incl:
    4 days running = (schedule would have been 6 days running, 55+)

1 mlr
    2 easy
    1ls/mr

DS core ticked, some rehab done, thorough stretching after tonight's lsr incl new stretches. I am slowly - ok painfully slowly - introducing myself to the *joys* of foam rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Heya, Charleville is this weekend?

Glad I read your physio visit. I feel like my big toe needs to be broken and reset so seems I'm not the only one.

aquinn wrote: »
    Heya, Charleville is this weekend?

Glad I read your physio visit. I feel like my big toe needs to be broken and reset so seems I'm not the only one.

Yep, this Sunday :)

My physios (yes plural) and massage therapists are going to love me. I'm going to indulge all my latent - and more active - hypochondriasm now I am a regular runner :D Better safe than sorry is fast becoming my motto AND mantra. Did you see on Krusty's log? So reassuring that he has niggles all.the.time...and is still sane :D

Are you going to physio or just lose sleep over it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

More logs for me to follow! It took all yesterday to catch up from the weekend, sake.

Yes, went to sports therapist last night, ankle wouldn't crack but toe is tight due to foot being tight. So mad to get toes pulled and cracked. Slept amazingly well. He highly recommended Rotterdam marathon so will be drumming up support for an April contingent. Tight QL muscles but nothing major happening thankfully.

All the very best at the weekend.

aquinn wrote: »
    More logs for me to follow! It took all yesterday to catch up from the weekend, sake.

Yes, went to sports therapist last night, ankle wouldn't crack but toe is tight due to foot being tight. So mad to get toes pulled and cracked. Slept amazingly well. He highly recommended Rotterdam marathon so will be drumming up support for an April contingent. Tight QL muscles but nothing major happening thankfully.

All the very best at the weekend.

Aw good and deadly, you'll have us all fired up for Team AQuinn this spring :D Trip to Rotterdam eh.....?

Edit: clearly toe pulling is an effective soporific.....

• Advertisement

log w/beg 14 Sept 2015

Mon 14
    Rest

Tue
    AM: 60-65 mins on road, easy effort and pace - mainly grass incl about 25-30 mins in bare feet.
    Got the ok from physio last week to do the occasional run in bare feet and this is what I did today :) Loved it! Have had the itch all summer to do this but until I was sure of my achilles, it wouldn't have been the best idea.
    Legs were still a bit fatigued from Sunday, but the minute I took off the GTs and sox, the fatigue was instantly lessened. Not 100% of course, but the run was much more pleasant than it otherwise would have been. Had to focus on realigning my body and stride once the shoes were back on, there does seem to be a transition period but awareness is key, I think.
    Stretching etc done post run and throughout the day. New niggle on right knee, about five days old. Felt it particularly after the long run on Sunday when gently swinging my bent leg. More of a tightness than anything so hoping it is muscular/tightness. Will try squeeze in a massage tomorrow*. Somebody put more hours in the day...please!

*booked for tomorrow night

PM
    4 miles recovery jogging to and from a meeting.

Wed
    Plan: 2 mile tempo
    Actual: 4.1km in 16:05, 6 miles total
    Legs felt a bit meh on warm up so wasn't particularly looking forward to this. Transitioned straight into this from warm up, with brief stop only to strip off leggings. Think I got the effort levels - 'comfortably hard' - for this right and was pleasantly surprised with the distance vs time. I did a similar tempo about six months ago where
    A) I was bouncing even on the warm up
    B) I had been doing regular intervals so was much sharper
    C) I wasn't running on tired legs nearly all the time (i.e. base building)

I've been thinking lately about my strengths and weaknesses. Any comments or observations welcome. Faster stuff is definitely one of my strengths. I also have a lot of natural stamina, evident even from comparative stuff I used to do as a teen. This should shore up my endurance as the benefits of this base building block begin to pay dividends, along with the general benefits from my second cycle of running. However, the in-between bit - speed endurance - seems to be my weaker area atm.

So this leads me to target setting this weekend. The tempo 6 months ago was prior to the Leinster's 10 mile where I ran 69:28. This was with cocking up the initial pace (set off at 10k pace and paid for it from mile 4 :eek:)
    I think just over 7m/m for a relatively more comfortable 10 miles - close to 71 mins - is within my grasp if paced more conservatively. And how much of a stretch would it be to hang on for another 3.1 miles....?
    And this in turn leads me to an A goal of sub-93 mins, B goal of 94-96 mins and C goal of PB = sub 1:40.

The recent 18m Glencree run showed me that I can churn out sub 7m/m pace on very tired legs, so pending approval from coachy, my plan of attack ;) may be to start with the 95 pacers and finish strong over the last five miles, using the net downhill in the finishing miles to get as much sub 93 as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I've been thinking lately about my strengths and weaknesses. Any comments or observations welcome. Faster stuff is definitely one of my strengths. I also have a lot of natural stamina, evident even from comparative stuff I used to do as a teen. This should shore up my endurance as the benefits of this base building block begin to pay dividends, along with the general benefits from my second cycle of running. However, the in-between bit - speed endurance - seems to be my weaker area atm.

Interesting observation. It's something I have felt is the same in my running.

That speed endurance aspect is as much a mental thing (i.e subjecting yourself to sustained pain rather that short bursts or longer more controlled efforts) as physical. How your body deals with the screaming pain of a hard 3k/5k

Just looking back on your training log over the year and I suspect you may find this aspect a little lacking because ,like me, its not something you train too often. Those longer 3k paced or slightly quicker or vO2 max style workouts with a shorter recovery.

Effectively going into a race sensibility of pacing takes over to the point where you don't thread that line between blowing up and just holding on.

It may not be a weakness just an under trained aspect of your running that may improve over the course of your upcoming training cycles

Effectively going into a race sensibility of pacing takes over to the point where you don't thread that line between blowing up and just holding on.

It may not be a weakness just an under trained aspect of your running that may improve over the course of your upcoming training cycles

Thanks for that MS. Definitely, I feel I'm ok up to 5k and then from 10 miles on. That darned 10k.... Can't seem to knuckle down to that "screaming pain" effectively on a 10k... :D

But yes, I'm counting on it being an under-trained aspect more than a long term weakness and as you say, speed endurance-focused sessions haven't really been a consistent aspect of my training.
    The tempo today sort of solidified what I've been thinking. 4k at 4min/km pace was 'easy' compared with the longer tempos I've done this year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

log w/beg 14 Sept 2015

Mon 14
    Rest

Tue
    AM: 60-65 mins on road, easy effort and pace - mainly grass incl about 25-30 mins in bare feet.
    Got the ok from physio last week to do the occasional run in bare feet and this is what I did today :) Loved it! Have had the itch all summer to do this but until I was sure of my achilles, it wouldn't have been the best idea.
    Legs were still a bit fatigued from Sunday, but the minute I took off the GTs and sox, the fatigue was instantly lessened. Not 100% of course, but the run was much more pleasant than it otherwise would have been. Had to focus on realigning my body and stride once the shoes were back on, there does seem to be a transition period but awareness is key, I think.
    Stretching etc done post run and throughout the day. New niggle on right knee, about five days old. Felt it particularly after the long run on Sunday when gently swinging my bent leg. More of a tightness than anything so hoping it is muscular/tightness. Will try squeeze in a massage tomorrow*. Somebody put more hours in the day...please!

*booked for tomorrow night

PM
    4 miles recovery jogging to and from a meeting.

Wed
    Plan: 2 mile tempo
    Actual: 4.1km in 16:05, 6 miles total
    Legs felt a bit meh on warm up so wasn't particularly looking forward to this. Transitioned straight into this from warm up, with brief stop only to strip off leggings. Think I got the effort levels - 'comfortably hard' - for this right and was pleasantly surprised with the distance vs time. I did a similar tempo about six months ago where
    A) I was bouncing even on the warm up
    B) I had been doing regular intervals so was much sharper
    C) I wasn't running on tired legs nearly all the time (i.e. base building)

So this leads me to target setting this weekend. The tempo 6 months ago was prior to the Leinster's 10 mile where I ran 69:28. This was with cocking up the initial pace (set off at 10k pace and paid for it from mile 4 :eek:)
    I think just over 7m/m for a relatively more comfortable 10 miles - close to 71 mins - is within my grasp if paced more conservatively. And how much of a stretch would it be to hang on for another 3.1 miles....?
    And this in turn leads me to an A goal of sub-93 mins, B goal of 94-96 mins and C goal of PB = sub 1:40.

The recent 18m Glencree run showed me that I can churn out sub 7m/m pace on very tired legs, so pending approval from coachy, my plan of attack ;) may be to start with the 95 pacers and finish strong over the last five miles, using the net downhill in the finishing miles to get as much sub 93 as I can.

Two points A,
    - you mentioned 95 mins on the race thread. Glad you feel a 93 is possible. I'd say it's an absolute cert
    - tell me you had something underneath those leggings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

start with the 95 pacers and finish strong over the last five miles, using the net downhill in the finishing miles to get as much sub 93 as I can.

Very similar to my plan if I make it except I'll such with the 95 pacers till mile 10 or so if able and then either crack on or hold on. So A goal of 94, B goal of 95, C goal of not finish in a heap around 1:40-1:45.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi DG, Just wondering if you were timing todays tempo or just running by feel?
    It's just that 4.1k in 16:05 is quite a bit faster than your current 10k pace and by definition your tempo pace.

Maybe it's just a question of practising your actual/current Tempo pace? I'd bet you could hold 6:40-6:50/mile (4:10-4:20/km?) for an hour or more so surely that would be you tempo/LT pace? I think a few sessions honing in on that exact pace and you could look at breaking 1:30 for a half

Two points A,
    - you mentioned 95 mins on the race thread. Glad you feel a 93 is possible. I'd say it's an absolute cert
    - tell me you had something underneath those leggings.....
    Hi B :)
    - Thanks, we'll see on the day. I'm counting on super-steady pacing, to which end I have now recruited a really experienced and rock solid club mate...feels a bit like cheating :o
    - not telling ;):D
    tipping wrote: »
    Very similar to my plan if I make it except I'll such with the 95 pacers till mile 10 or so if able and then either crack on or hold on. So A goal of 94, B goal of 95, C goal of not finish in a heap around 1:40-1:45.
    Hi tipping, yeah we certainly have been quite similar training-wise lately. Good luck! I'll have a Sli Cualann vest on so say hello. Actually I might be wearing a bright pink singlet so that's not gonna help....You're going to have to help me here :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Hi DG, Just wondering if you were timing todays tempo or just running by feel?
    It's just that 4.1k in 16:05 is quite a bit faster than your current 10k pace and by definition your tempo pace.

Maybe it's just a question of practising your actual/current Tempo pace? I'd bet you could hold 6:40-6:50/mile (4:10-4:20/km?) for an hour or more so surely that would be you tempo/LT pace? I think a few sessions honing in on that exact pace and you could look at breaking 1:30 for a half

Aha the eagle eyes of meno ;) Yeah, it was nearer 5k pace. I was a bit naughty; when I saw 'only' two miles on the schedule, I didn't question pace and thought I'd just go at a clip. It was a mix of both time and distance today, I intended to run comfortably hard for 16 mins and that coincided with where I worked out (along the way) where the 4k marker would be. Didn't have any markers along the way so was run by feel.

And I agree with you, I simply haven't had a regular - or consistent - build of tempos to have got the hang of them yet. At the moment, they're probably my least favourite session...and all because I'm not 'good' at them yet :rolleyes:

My recent 10k pace was avg 6:44 I think, so not sure about holding that pace for an hour just yet. 6:50-55 maybe? Hopefully over the winter, I'll get to a stage where 6:40 is comfortable and then, yes, I'll be knocking on the door of that 90 mins....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Just a reminder of the advice you gave me for Athlone last weekend.

"For a HM, you need to be still in control at 9 miles. If you get to nine miles in one piece, you're good to go for the rest of the way. Pick a pace you know you can do comfortably hard for 9 but can still continue for another 4.1"

This worked very well for me last week and for whats its worth i think your A goal is very achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Hi B :)

Hi tipping, yeah we certainly have been quite similar training-wise lately. Good luck! I'll have a Sli Cualann vest on so say hello. Actually I might be wearing a bright pink singlet so that's not gonna help....You're going to have to help me here :D

I'm sure I'll recognize you, I'm expecting smiling, perfect form, no weaving etc..:)
    Anyway I'll be in a Midleton AC singlet, was going to wear my hat but after the slagging the poor guy got on the race thread I'll leave it at home.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Just a reminder of the advice you gave me for Athlone last weekend.

"For a HM, you need to be still in control at 9 miles. If you get to nine miles in one piece, you're good to go for the rest of the way. Pick a pace you know you can do comfortably hard for 9 but can still continue for another 4.1"

This worked very well for me last week and for whats its worth i think your A goal is very achievable.
    Haha are you telling me I have to practise what I preach??!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway :)
    tipping wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll recognize you, I'm expecting smiling, perfect form, no weaving etc..:)
    Anyway I'll be in a Midleton AC singlet, was going to wear my hat but after the slagging the poor guy got on the race thread I'll leave it at home.

Haha that made me laugh. I doubt you'll see any of that towards the end.... or any stage for that matter :o
    Ah gowan wear the hat :D

Thur 17
    3 easy miles trying out new racers for Sunday (Brooks Launch 2).

Brooks%20Launch%202%20Spectrum%20Blue%20Berry%20Blue%20Radience%20-%20Women%20s%20Launch%202%20Indoor%20tennis%20shoes%208439371.jpg

Lots of fiddling with lace and tongue position but think they'll do. It's a bit close to the race but a necessary evil, the Saucony A6's are too light for 13.1 miles ( I do love love love them tho....) and my regular Asics GT 2000 - while good to go for training - are in a bit too much of a jock for racing.

Sports massage:
    Went to my local guy for this, nothing too deep 72 hours pre-race. It was actually very relaxing for the most part :cool:
    He had a look at my knee, nothing mechanical (no in-bending knee when squatting), my hopping skills are grand ;) and no pain with gentle prodding, bending and stretching.
    So hypochondriasm 200, Sane voice of reason, 0

Right ITB and quad received a bit of deeper work here. My left hip and glute medius also needed a bit of a relaxing massage, again nothing too deep in advance of Sunday. Calves, hamstrings and quads all good.

Fri 18
    30 mins easy with 5 x strides. A bit meh, not surprising pre-race and post-massage but got the lacing and tongue position right on shoes.

May shake the legs out tomorrow for 15-20 minutes after the drive to Charleville. I am looking forward to an uninterrupted night's sleep after last night: two wriggly sprogs in the bed from 3am! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

In case I forget in the madness that is likely to be tomorrow...have a super race on Sunday. Enjoy the full night's sleep :D. You're going to have an amazing race. Looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Very best wishes for tomorrow DG. Hope it all goes to plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Sunday DG, think your sandbagging bigtime with 1.33 though!!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday.
    Thanks P :)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    In case I forget in the madness that is likely to be tomorrow...have a super race on Sunday. Enjoy the full night's sleep :D. You're going to have an amazing race. Looking forward to the report.
    Thanks missus, you too :D
    Best of luck

TbL
    Thanks TbL, shame you're taxiing it in London, would've liked to have met you :)
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Very best wishes for tomorrow Sunday DG. Hope it all goes to plan.
    Thanks TJ, it's a long way so yes, the plan needs to hold together....we'll see :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday DG, think your sandbagging bigtime with 1.33 though!!

Haha, I'm saving the best for last....had to go for a bit of a walk tonight and the hip that was massaged last night has totally locked, sending ripples down to my knee :eek: I was hobbledy-limping for a fair bit of it.... I am hoping it is the aftermath of the massage last night (even tho it wasn't a deep one). I have taken two nurofen (I know, I know...) in an attempt to relax me.....
    I suppose the crutches I will have to use tomorrow (edit: that's a huge exaggerate.... :o ) will mark me out to the novices after their HM.....

Jaysus I hope your alright, that's rotten luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

oh no!! crutches? that's not good A, should you stay home tomorrow instead of wandering around the PP, people will understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Haha, I'm saving the best for last....had to go for a bit of a walk tonight and the hip that was massaged last night has totally locked, sending ripples down to my knee :eek: I was hobbledy-limping for a fair bit of it.... I am hoping it is the aftermath of the massage last night (even tho it wasn't a deep one). I have taken two nurofen (I know, I know...) in an attempt to relax me.....
    I suppose the crutches I will have to use tomorrow will mark me out to the novices after their HM.....

Nooooooaaahhhhh hope you're right and it's just the aftermath of the massage. Enjoy the cheering tomorrow and rock the race on Sunday :)

tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus I hope your alright, that's rotten luck
    Firedance wrote: »
    oh no!! crutches? that's not good A, should you stay home tomorrow instead of wandering around the PP, people will understand
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Nooooooaaahhhhh hope you're right and it's just the aftermath of the massage. Enjoy the cheering tomorrow and rock the race on Sunday :)

Ohnoohnoohnoooo.....sorry!!! Was joking about the crutches....sandbagging gone too far :o

I'm pretty sure it's the aftermath of the massage, don't worry.....be grand :)

Feck, that's my sandbagging career out the window :o

Ohnoohnoohnoooo.....sorry!!! Was joking about the crutches....sandbagging gone too far :o

I'm pretty sure it's the aftermath of the massage, don't worry.....be grand :)

Feck, that's my sandbagging career out the window :o

:D:D:D jesus you put the hear crossways in me, you'll trip over those sandbags they're so big!!!!

Actually, could be the start of a beautiful sandbagging career.....

Actually, could be the start of a beautiful sandbagging career.....

go to bed :p

• Advertisement

That was just mean.........

Advertisement