Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wed
    Complete rest. Legs still tired and stiff. This is the longest I've taken to recover from a race...well apart from the marathon

Thur
    AM easy 3 with 5x100m strides. Ok. Race still in legs but progress compared to Tuesday.
    Have done a chart, pride of place on kitchen cupboard, with range of S&M exercises to do over the course of a week. Get me doing my homework :D
    Must get it from my daughter, she has been bringing home a bit here and there (junior infants) and gives out to me if I don't go through everything systematically.

"but you read that to grandad earlier"
    "Mu-um we have to do it all now!"

There are spaces for these exercises to be done twice a week. I don't want to set myself up to fail so for now I will be happy if I tick most boxes once a week and be regularly ticking twice a week by the end of 8 weeks.

PM 7 miles
    Easy miles in park, jogged 3 there and joined a group for some laps on tarmac. Good to catch up with a few faces :)

I had 4x1k scheduled for tonight (yeah yeah I know what I said... :o ) but decided to postpone them until tomorrow due to slow recovery. Actually Emer911 reminded me that sitting in a car for three hours on Sunday following the race could be responsible for that too.

Fri 6 total
    Planned: 4x1k @ 10k pace (currently around 4:10/km) with 2 mins rec
    Actual 3x1k, pulled up due to hip flexor spasm/cramp/pain/something unpleasant :( all under 10k pace :o )

Nice relaxed warm up. Legs felt like lead on the jog but by the time I got to the strides, had livened up and was striding smoothly. Did lower intensity drill set as hadn't done these since June. It still may have affected my tight muscles as by the third rep I could feel a niggle in my upper left quad, same side as weak hip. Stretched it out after the third rep but within 80m of starting the fourth, I knew it was a no-go. It eased out on the warm down but is still 'there' now.

It may well have been caused by bunching my quads post-race by sitting in a car for three hours from Charleville to home....my quads have felt quite stiff, tired and sore this week. So *shoulda foam rolled*

And hip flexor stretches added to the list......

Planned:
    Sat10k easy and Sun 15 easy but will see how it is after gentle stretching and icing today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

S&M exercises, say Mr DG likes the sound of that...........

tang1 wrote: »
    S&M exercises, say Mr DG likes the sound of that...........

Haha oops :o Too late to edit?! Strength and mobility. Oh gawd here comes TbL....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Haha oops :o Too late to edit?! Strength and mobility. Oh gawd here comes TbL....

What's keeping him :confused:

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What's keeping him :confused:

Say hes on route to Connemara from London as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Say hes on route to Connemara from London as we speak.

Those iphone tracker things are great :D

Firedance wrote: »
    Those iphone tracker things are great :D

No he has me tied up and locked in the boot of his car!!

in.your.dreams. :p

sorry DG, we'll give you your log back now :o

Hehe no, carry on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Delayed, finishing off Bulmers :)

Ya'll carry on, ye seem to be doing fine without me!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're not in my boot but your bike might be ;)

TbL

Happy Friday folks :D ^^^

You're not in my boot but your bike might be ;)

TbL

That might slow you down a bit in that weapon of a yoke you drive!!

Sat rest, enforced due to Bungy Girl bungy cord attaching compost bin lid attacking me on fri evening. Floaters/intermittent spots in my vision still present on Saturday morning meant most of the day from 1pm spent at the Eye and Ear emergency dept....to be told 'all grand', which I suspected, but by 5pm I had waited that long I wasn't going anywhere. Had my pupils very attractively dilated at 6:22pm and was 'released' at 7:30pm with my slightly crazed and desperate question 'ok to run?!!?' no doubt resonating in the over-worked resident ophthalmologist's ears. So by the time I got home after 9pm, it was a little bit late (and blurry) to run my planned 10k but I slept well in the knowledge that Sunday's 15 miles was on the cards ;) Priorities.....

Sun
    Planned: 15 easy
    Actual: 16 miles easy

Crap timing of lsr. Awoken at 6:30am by cuddly sprog #1 and half an hour later by other cuddly sprog. Palmed them off with Princess Starla and the Jewel Riders courtesy of You Tube on low volume while I dozed til 9. Accepted the inevitable and got up at 9 to munch a bagel with peanut butter with the honest and sincere intention of going put to run no later than 11.... :rolleyes:

Cue 2pm and still faffing...got out and in my infinite wisdom decided to run for 2:15 or 16 miles, whichever came first....

Had a pit stop at parents half way, ran upstairs, back downstairs into kitchen, abused them both for sitting around 'on a glorious day like today', except for my mother who had done a ridiculous 12 hours or something like that line-dancing for charity yesterday, grabbed a glass of water and left them wondering what on earth had they been complicit in raising.....

Bonked at around 11 miles but put that down to karma for abusing elderly parents :pac: inadequate food yesterday (only had enough change for a yorkie at hospital yesterday), this morning and the heat. Pretty miserable last mile up that bloody hill but all under the belt now. Rehydration (or not) and replenishment later via delicious rib eye steak etc at San Lorenzo's in the wonderful company of Firedance, annapr, BG (ok, she's forgiven ;) ) and aquinn. And yes we talked about running....

Weekly total: 40/41
    5 days running incl 1 session and one lsr
    1 double day

All the other stuff: on a chart to be ticked so getting there :)

I have an alibi!
    All the other stuff: on a chart to be ticked so getting there :)

Is that an actual chart, with colours and stars for good behaviour ? BG Jr has one of those and I was thinking of borrowing it ;)

Me ho!e ye talked about running!!!

everything discussed, apart from the wine list, was running related :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sure what else would we be talking about? :confused:

*she didn't day we ONLY talked about running.

annapr wrote: »
    Sure what else would we be talking about? :confused:

*she didn't day we ONLY talked about running.

I say Mr Australia got a mention now.......

I say Mr Australia got a mention now.......

;)

• Advertisement

I have an alibi!

Is that an actual chart, with colours and stars for good behaviour ? BG Jr has one of those and I was thinking of borrowing it ;)

Stars...genius, what do you think, gold or silver?!

There's loads of ticks for the old S&M I see on that chart!!

There's loads of ticks for the old S&M I see on that chart!!

Not my forté so gotta crack the whip on that one ;)

Running log w/beg 28 Sept

Mon
    Rest. Couple of stretches in the shower, that count?!

Tue
    7 mile hilly trail run in Ballinastoe Woods. Loved this, tough but felt really strong. After 1.2k or so on road, we enter a trail uphill to the woods for 2k. This is a leg drainer and leaves you fatigued from the start so a great tester. Jelly legs at each peak but not as jellied as earlier in the year. Recovered well on the downhills.
    Plan was 10k but we took a wrong turn and added a mile on retracing. Can't believe I was actually chomping at the bit to carry on to do the 8 mile loop. See if I'm singing the same tune next week :D

Planned for the rest of the week:
    Wed
    Recovery/easy 10k

Thur
    AM 4x1k @ 10k pace, 2 mins rec
    PM rec 35-40 mins

Fri
    PM 15 miles/2hours, whichever...

Unfortunately the lsr has to follow the session this week as I am off on the razz on Saturday and Sunday, running will not be possible. At all.
    I'll cut it short and cut my losses if it's too much of a grind. Won't be possible Monday as we have another trek up Ballinastoe on Tuesday.

Wed, rest (sort of enforced) kiddie sick, no sleep. Wise call, was like a walking zombie all day.

Thur 4x1k* @ 10k pace with 2 min rec on grass. Was told to expect a slower pace because of surface so to focus on effort.
    9.5 mi Total

*probably 900m going by split marks
    The field I used is pretty much level and the tarmac'd part is 800m, give or take a metre. My adjustments for running inside and adding back 200m at the start fell short :o

This went well. A good night's sleep and rest day yesterday saw me ready to go this morning. Jogged three miles to the park and already felt good. Did 4x90m strides and again felt good except for a tightness in the same place as last week around the hip flexor area. This subsided when I dialled back the pace and stride.

1) A little fast, went through one lap (750m or so) marker in 2:56
    2) Moved the starting point back 15-20m, dialled the effort and stride back (partly enforced due to hip flexor area beginning to spasm. This seems to be pace and stride dependant). Lap marker around 2:58
    3) Again, tried to dial back and clipped my stride to keep spasm at bay. Lap marker 3 mins flat
    4) I increased effort levels as the fourth was beginning to pinch but this also increased the pace :rolleyes: lap marker reached in 2:53

Overall, very happy with this first grass session. The effort levels increased gradually with each rep: halfway through the last rep I was working hard enough but reminded myself that this would be normal in a race and focused on keeping an efficient stride and arm drive while staying relaxed. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm seeing the beginning of the base phase benefits wrapping up nicely for the next phase of speed endurance (pyramids, intervals, hill work and tempos). Long run will be cut back too, not sure by how much.

Fri
    11 miles easy, although I did take in Quarry Hill (elevation: high, distance 1.2km) and a couple of other shorter hills. Not ideal, would have preferred to have stuck in a recovery run this morning and do this tonight but that opportunity wasn't presenting today :(

Felt good on this, yesterday's session was lurking in the background, just enough to put a halt to what could easily have been a glorious gallop on this gorgeous October morning.

So that's probably it for the week:
    27.5 miles
    Incl 3 runs
    - all 'quality sessions'; a hilly trail run, grass intervals and a mlr
    - but no general aerobic/easy/recovery runs this week.

That chart is getting ticked, but not as much as it should be :(

Stars...genius, what do you think, gold or silver?!

Multicoloured!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You people are insane. You need a wine drinking chart or something.

adrian522 wrote: »
    You people are insane. You need a wine drinking chart or something.

no use, only two colours.... :D

• Advertisement

Multicoloured!

echm, if 'a person' wanted to get their hands on such a magnificent chart, where would this person go to purchase?...... :p

I WANT ONE

Advertisement