Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    echm, if 'a person' wanted to get their hands on such a magnificent chart, where would this person go to purchase?...... :p

I WANT ONE

Lol, best borrow an unruly child and go to The Art & Hobby Shop and tell them the unruly child needs a reward chart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Lol, best borrow an unruly child and go to The Art & Hobby Shop and tell them the unruly child needs a reward chart ;)

Very nice of you to offer BG jnr like that.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Very nice of you to offer BG jnr like that.

:p

No longer unruly. The Reward chart rocks! Maybe it'll have the same disciplinary effect on my strength and conditioning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

adrian522 wrote: »
    You people are insane. You need a wine drinking chart or something.

Not really, we don't *need* motivation or reward to slurp sip vino. Although sometimes we do. So win win situation :D

log w/beg Mon 5 Oct

Mon
    PM 5 miles easy effort
    Usually a rest day but was itching to get out after two days off over the weekend. Felt effortless on this, really surprised as sleep and alcohol were not the best over the weekend :rolleyes: :o

Tue
    AM 8 miles
    Back to Ballinastoe for the 10k loop. Again, very pleased with this run. Very strong on hills (still hurt :) ) and recovered well on the downhills. We were able to stride out very strongly along the final 1k or so on the trail, I had a big internal grin here, loving it :) We decided to add on a stretch along the road to finish off (12 mins or so) and the difference was unreal, it was like tarmac was just zapping my legs of bounce. We kept up the strong pace but....sheesh. Definitely a trail gal :D

Met with coachy afterwards and we've started to nail down a XC schedule. It's a work in progress: two definites this month, one possible in November, one definite or maybe two in December and definitely two in January. Hopefully a 'target 5k' road race/parkrun along the way too. Then target Ballycotton and after that back to track. Talk about planning your life away :D

Wed
    AM nearly on empty (coffee and small banana)
    60 mins/ca 7.5 easy. Good, gorgeous morning. Yesterday's run only slightly lurking in the background so recovering well ATM.

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    we've started to nail down a XC schedule. It's a work in progress: two definites this month, one possible in November, one definite or maybe two in December and definitely two in January. Hopefully a 'target 5k' road race/parkrun along the way too. Then target Ballycotton and after that back to track. Talk about planning your life away :D

The planning is almost as much fun as the racing :D

You doing mainly Wickla based XC ?

The planning is almost as much fun as the racing :D

You doing mainly Wickla based XC ?

No, going outside Wickla :) Only two will be in Wickla, the rest will be in the PP, Santry and the usual XC locations down the country. Just like the olden days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

No, going outside Wickla :) Only two will be in Wickla, the rest will be in the PP, Santry and the usual XC locations down the country. Just like the olden days :D

Wicklow Seniors and Wicklow Masters?

Wicklow Seniors and Wicklow Masters?

That's the plan! See you there :)

Thur
    AM 4 miles easy/recovery effort

PM 10 incl 4 miles tempo @ 10 mile pace ( :o )
    Jogged three miles to the park to join club session. I was running late - literally - so warmed up way too fast but felt like I was skipping along and went with it. Included two long strides towards the end.

Our club captain kindly roped in another member to keep me company on the 4 mile @ 7m/mi pace. He had completed the 60k adventure challenge in Killarney last weekend so I joked that would put a stop to his gallop tonight as he is a 38 minute 10k man :D

Anyway P with a naked wrist and me with just my stopwatch, off we went. The plan was to do 3x2km loops plus 400 at the end. Yeah yeah, short 36m :rolleyes:
    P said he'd let me dictate the pace as it was *my* session. I knew I was feeling strong from the off and knew the pace was faster than 7m/mi early on but decided to go with it. I've been letting the mental demons of these longer tempos get to me and I was determined to shake them off tonight.
    At the same time, I felt strong with a nice rhythmic cadence and good form. I wore my racers and the tarmac was bone dry which helped. We tested out the pace with a sentence or two early on but that didn't last long. Every now and then I did an assessment asking myself "how 'comfortably hard' is this?" and each time I was able to answer, 'hard enough yes, but still comfortable'. There were walkers on the paths and we were able to thank them easily enough each time they made way.

I'm really pleased with how in tune I am with my body lately. It's coming up to a year in November when I consciously made the decision to run by feel. The results are really starting to show - consistently - in conjunction with the recent base building. Tonight felt like I was in total control. At no stage did I exceed my lactic threshold and any time I felt myself approach it, all it took was a slight dial back in pace here, a 'maintain effort' there or 'increase effort slightly here', 'roll down the hill' there. For example, halfway through the second 2km lap, I managed to blurt out 'approaching lactic threshold, dial back pace a little'. P looked a little confused (jargon :rolleyes:) but once he understood, he dialled back noticeably and looked surprised when I literally dialled back a slight notch. Again at the start of the third lap, I used a similar dial back in conjunction with a slight TA activation, relax and forward lean.

At no stage did I look at the watch. I was reading an interview yesterday with the 10 000m runner Julia Bleasdale, where she talked about running for the hell of it, without watch, without pace, just by effort, just because (and yes, she's preparing for Rio using this approach :) ) and it really struck a chord. She talked about how watch checking can freak you out psychologically if it's too fast or too slow. Both these instances have happened to me on tempos recently so tonight I wanted to focus on effort, purely on effort and it was like singing a song. (Just for the record, I cannot sing, this was best case shower-singing :D ). Halfway through, I said to myself, this is going to be about 26:40.

Hit stop at 6.4 km 26:21 (36m short of 4 miles) and Anto, this screen shot is for you :D:D:D

More than open to suggestions about why this shouldn't have been so fast but pretty sure effort levels were right, maybe a tad on the upper side. Anyway, was able to jog the three miles home without too much bother.

• Advertisement

Sat
    1 hour easy on road, grass and tarmac incl 5x100m strides at 45 mins. Clocking 7.5 for this.

Sun
    15.5 miles easy (ok and steady :o )

Total for week 56.5 miles, HIGHEST EVERRRRRR...... Holy running goddessess :D
    6 days running incl 1 double day:
    1 trail hill session
    1 long run
    1 tempo run
    4 easy runs, one incl strides

A picture perfect week if I do say so myself :D Sleep, however, has been absolutely abysmal. Some of that couldn't be helped, mostly self-inflicted. Must start going to bed at 8pm and maybe I'll be tucked in at 10..... :o :rolleyes:

Some niggles; right hip has twinged (usually the left side) and knees a bit achy, hopefully just tightness in quads. The toe joint on my right foot aches occasionally, it feels like it's in the bone. Anyone ever get this?! :confused: Can only afford chiro OR physio this week and as my lower back is clicking, chiro wins my wonga.

Mileage will ease off over the next two weeks...with cross country racing filling that gap.

Chart looking healthy this week :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Mileage will ease off over the next two weeks...with cross country racing filling that gap.

Chart looking healthy this week :cool:

Nice week of training Dubgal :) I went to spectate/cheer on cross country racing for the first time ever today. It looks really tough, hats off to you for knocking these out of the park :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice week of training Dubgal :) I went to spectate/cheer on cross country racing for the first time ever today. It looks really tough, hats off to you for knocking these out of the park :)

Thanks Neady :) When you going to take the plunge?! No bother to you compated to most of your exploits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks Neady :) When you going to take the plunge?! No bother to you compated to most of your exploits :D

DON'T DO IT NEADY. Don't listen to them. Go back hill climbing.

STAY AWAY FROM XC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT NEADY. Don't listen to them. Go back hill climbing.

STAY AWAY FROM XC!

you've fallen into the water in the Irish sea and running around a field is what traumatized you?? Don't mind her neady

CROSS COUNTRY ROCKS! :D

I haven't fallen in for TWO weeks! V proud. It's actually more getting flung off than thrown in TBH.

log w/beg Mon 12 Oct

Mon
    Rest, tired legs, glad of rest. Had the option for a 10 min jog and then 10 min walk but opted for a lift :o

Tue 7 miles hills and trail
    Ballinastoe 6 mile loop. We added on an extra mile of road at the start as we felt the less than one mile warm up before hitting the long first hill trail of 2k isn't enough. Knew my legs weren't feeling the love from the off.

I now see the wisdom (I did before too, now I know it :o:D ) of doing your long easy runs as long easy runs. We had - inadvertently - thrown in a few 7:30-7:20 miles towards the end on Sunday evening and of course by Tuesday morning I hadn't fully recovered.
    Nevertheless, we held a similar pace to last week despite the run being a slog and also feeling a lot slower. Would be really interested to attack this loop full on but won't be going back there for a while now.

Wed
    50 mins easy/rec
    Big toe joint aching, a bit worrying.

Thur
    40mins easy +6x100m strides. Felt good on strides but not great either side.
    Swapped chiro for physio at last minute due to toe. All good, my tight and pert Kylie * glute tightness was cascading down to my big toe, taking the knee cap, shins and toe down with it.
    Another exercise for the chart.....

*dreaming is a valid positive visualisation technique

Well ?!

Are you ok? I see you were doing cross-country. Was it horrific? You don't have to talk about it, I know how hard it can be. Take a few weeks.

Well ?!
    Are you ok? I see you were doing cross-country. Was it horrific? You don't have to talk about it, I know how hard it can be. Take a few weeks.

^^^ heehee my 2yo actually asked 'mam wha you laughing about?' :D:D

Novices take priority this week....not quite there yet!

See attached for Sunday's 'to do' list. Note Sunday, not Monday morning....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

^^^ heehee my 2yo actually asked 'mam wha you laughing about?' :D:D

Novices take priority this week....not quite there yet!

See attached for Sunday's 'to do' list. Note Sunday, not Monday morning....;)

Dubgal Rocks :):):):)

You're poor kids will be so dam glad when you're well shot of us. They won't be hungry at lunchtime anymore :)

Haha thanks missus. Course overview still not done, so no race report yet. I'll have forgotten it all, it's already a blur :D I'm sure I can just borrow aquinn's report :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Haha thanks missus. Course overview still not done, so no race report yet. I'll have forgotten it all, it's already a blur :D I'm sure I can just borrow aquinn's report :pac:

we will know it's not you....

Why is that Anna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Why is that Anna?

Because you are unique of course :D

annapr wrote: »
    Because you are unique of course :D

And more amazing obvs :)

Interim race report here :pac:

Race Report AI Autumn Open 5k 2015 Phoenix Park

I had been quietly looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. The Phoenix Park is familiar territory...from 25 years ago :D I can't remember racing on this loop but I certainly would have trained on it.
    Myself and two other clubmates were running, me and S o/40 and J o/50 (her first XC, what a baptism of fire! Despite her shoe coming off on the first sharp bend into the bottleneck, she still convinced us afterwards she enjoyed it :) ).

I'd had a look at the results from last year and sure, it was going to be a very competitive field. Jackie Carthy, who rules the roads, won the o/40 cat. I don't get the concept of timing XC, it matters jack **** IMO, but it was a thundering 19:54 for 5k I think. We were also to be in with senior men and women, springy and fleet junior women doing 4k and o/65+ men. Truly an Open race :)
    The masters categories had an extra edge as the first three past the post in each cat automatically qualify for the international British and Irish Masters XC to be hosted this year in Santry.

Going into this, I felt quietly confident of a good race. XC doesn't faze me and I know what to expect.

When dropping our bags, we chatted to a friendly and confident o/40 lady. She had 'winner' written all over her but we weren't going to let that psyche us :D We warmed down afterwards with her and turns out she is Lizzie Lee's sister. She finished 4th in our cat but will qualify as the first o/40 finisher (Jackie Carthy) moves into o/45 between now and the international. Not bad, two international siblings who only took up running late in life :cool:

The three of us warmed up. I'm still not convinced of the benefits of a group warm up. I prefer to warm up on my own and get into the zone but I suppose this is part of team and club running....Felt lead legged then fresh doing strides, the usual. No drills done but need to start incorporating them on a weekly basis again.

Myself and S lined up mid-line but I didn't feel comfortable with that so I suggested we move to the outside of the line in order to gain a more strategic position entering the first sharp turn left after 150m.

Off we went and my plan was to go off hard but controlled. I might have gone off slightly too hard but wanted to gain my position early along the hills and around the woods. Anyway, I was a bit disappointed with my strength on the first set of hills but told myself that I would recover quickly from them, 'just like on the Ballinastoe loop'.
    S gradually pulled away, at one stage I thought she might have been up to 150m ahead. Not much more detail except that I'm pretty sure that I passed more than was passed once we settled down after 5 or 600m (coachy: 'get your position then pick them off, one by one'). Had to give myself a good talking to at around 2.5k when it started to hurt-hurt. Might even have felt a bit pukey at this stage...Perhaps a bit wastefully, I gave a bit of encouragement to a Sli Cualann junior lady who I passed along the outskirts of the woods on the second lap. From here on there were lots of mental tricks: run from the hip, activate trans abs, bring out the wand, tell the brain to tell the body that this is all ok, you have it in the tank....etc etc. Hopefully this will all become automatic....

We wore our age category on our backs so we could tell who we needed especially to reel in. This worked...and it didn't. I generally look ahead and only ahead during races but if anyone came up on my shoulder and got ahead, I found myself looking sideways and then breathing a sigh of relief if it wasn't an o/40. Bit distracting really :o

On the dips on the last loop, I was passed by an o/50 and from here we played cat and mouse and must have gradually reeled in a senior cat in the process. Coming through the woods on the last, short loop, my legs were jelly and buckling...senior ahead of me and o/50 on my shoulder or maybe just ahead. Everything hurt...the finish arch seemed a loooooong way away, probably about 200m but I told myself 'only 30 more seconds' and managed to kick and kick hard. Don't know how, but I managed to access the 'finishing tank', y'know, the one like 'the cake stomach' when you're stuffed to the brim and out-kicked senior cat and o/50, 1 and 2 seconds behind respectively, doubling over once over the finish line but being told to 'keep moving, keep moving' :mad: Definitely emptied the tank and some.

10th overall in cat and 42nd o/a out of a field of 99 seniors, masters and older male masters. (Closer to 150 at the start line including juniors.) Would have liked to have placed a bit higher (who wouldn't?!) but looking at the o/40 names ahead of me (Jackie Carthy, Lizzie Lee's sis Rosaline McKeown, Paula Grant and Pippa Hackett I cannot and will not complain. For now. Next year ;) The next three o/40 finishers ahead of me were 15, 23 and my clubmate 25 secs ahead. The next o/40 was 12 seconds behind me.

Coachy doesn't do praise or effusion but he sounded quite warm and approving last night when telling others how we did :cool: It was definitely a worthwhile experience in advance of the national masters in January. Next up Leinster masters on Sunday. More of the same!

Warm up: 3.5k
    Race: 5k
    Warm down very easy 5k
    T: 8 miles or thereabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Fantastic! Just fantastic :) well worth the wait to read that.

See you Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great report Dubgal, well done. I love the way you added up three distances in km to get a total in miles. How very Irish :)

• Advertisement

Horrific, absolutely horrific. Another one on Sunday? Nuts!

Advertisement