Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on your well deserved National medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done DG - super stuff (as usual!). I saw one of your team-mates at the parkrun the day before, now I understand why she was taking it easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Congrats DG! Fab running! I'm so proud for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck today A, not that u need at this stage, think u will be on top of it as usual☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on your well deserved National medal.
    Thank you!
    nop98 wrote: »
    Well done DG - super stuff (as usual!). I saw one of your team-mates at the parkrun the day before, now I understand why she was taking it easy!
    Hehe yup :)
    Congrats DG! Fab running! I'm so proud for you!
    Thanks, you :)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck today A, not that u need at this stage, think u will be on top of it as usual☺
    Aha but I think you have since discovered I was a lazy wimp ;)

• Advertisement

log week beg Mon 25 Jan

*dust dust cough and splutter*

DOWN WEEK, end of season break.

Mon rest

Tue hmm about 5 easy

Wed rest

Thur hmmm 2 and 4 I think....

Fri rest

Sat rest

Sun 2 and 4.5 or something.... In between these, I supported at the Raheny 5. Lovely to see The Claw glide in but not a patch on coachy who holds the course record still at the insane time of 22:38 :cool: Congrats to Mary Cullen and the mysterious Deirdre Byrne (3rd woman) from our club Sli Cualann. We were convinced it was a dodgy number swap until Murph's Flikr shots and some elementary googling disabused us of that notion. That's what I get for ignoring athletics for 2.5 decades :rolleyes:

But best of all - of course! - was seeing the mortals, i.e., Firedance, annapr and Murph_D shakin da pom poms, clubmates flying around, BG, aquinn, FBOT, denis b, smashiner, singer, Kenny G, Mrs Mc, TFGR TAFKAM et al either before, during or after the race. Apologies for disappearing, had to take that lift, the lurgy was making its presence felt.

Weekly total:
    3 days running....and two more weeks of this to come :eek: Ok, there will be a gradual build but I am feeling like a real laze :D Definitely not an athletic person. The only way is up and in coachy I trust :cool:

WEEK 2 of laziness:

Mon rest

Tue yay a proper run. 50 mins or so. Couldn't resist the temptation of a trail run in Djouce, starting from Crone Wood with coachy and S. Loved this. Bloody freezing but blue sky and no noticeable wind. We took in a couple of long hills too and coachy remarked that we 'were flying' despite S's Raheny legs and my lurgy legs. It may have been slightly foolish, running with a cold, but I felt that if the cold was going to come on - like one of our recent storms - , it was on its way anyway.

Wed....and it was. Woke up feeling ****e and achy all over. Took a while to click that a lot of the achiness was a sore arse from yesterday's hills :D Anyway, back to bed, echinacea, vit C and paracetamol kicked in throughout the day. Glutes and hips eased out somewhat. Would have LOVED to have jogged the stiffness out but sense prevailed. Yeah yeah, after the horse had bolted....

Thur 10k at v comfortable pace. Miraculous recovery...sort of. Kept pace and effort v comfortable and was one of those runs where I could have gone on and on. Real life however has a way of intruding on these beautiful moments.

A bit of trivia: as well as stretching, icing and heat, another crutch for my Pf seems to be wearing wedges. I had been (the rare times I don't wear runners... :o ) wearing my good quality Clarke's boots, which have a very comfortable and flexible sole...they are also very flat and bring on an attack when worn after running. Wore my wedge boots today and barely a murmur. Must get an everyday wedge pair now cos these are not everyday walking around in boots.....anyone want a pair of knee high leather Clarke's boots?! Size 5.5....

Fri planned pool and gym did not materialise, instead spent a stop/start hour jogging around an interesting housing estate delivering some stuff. This, while it kept me warm, wasn't very satisfying so I insisted - to myself :rolleyes: - on going out for my usual 4 mile loop with several opt-out points. Sure enough, started to get a hypo-tremble around mile 2 so I cut across an exit point to make it three, shuffled home, shook in the door and rammed some yoghurt, honey and nuts into me. Betcha Aunty Flo is on her way....

No structured S&C stuff since before the nationals, time to get back into it now.

Sat rest. So tempted to slip out late in the day for a quick one but reminded myself that it's downtime....about 20 times :rolleyes: No wine either....

Sun am 7 miles easy with S, coachy and another guy getting back into it. Got another soaking in the afternoon which made my cold gain the traction it had been losing, grr. Still all above the throat and whatever about my chest, definitely not in the legs, phew.

Weekly total 23
    4 days running, all easy incl one hilly run
    Sporadic squats and maintenance work done

Mon rest - sofa day with kids, cold continued to reassert itself on them and me. It worked, a day in time saves nine ;) (2 sets of deadlifts done at home with 10kg kettlebell. I think the benefit of these, and squats, are starting to kick in. I am cautiously optimistic that I am getting stride 'bang for my buck' back).

Tue 8 miles...easyish with S. Gorgeous route from Shankill, through Killiney up Vico Road and around Dalkey village, up Dalkey Avenue and back to Shankill along the coast. A few testing hills and yes, we pushed *slightly* but overall, kept it comfortable. Very sniffly but this run really helped clear the sinuses and surrounding area. Tmi....:o

All the same, coachy told us off as he reckons from seeing us on Sunday that we don't keep the pace for easy runs the right side of 8m/m. In his inimitable way, he laid out the importance of keeping the easy runs very, very easy, especially as we enter this new block of sharpening training. The key sessions during this block, he reckons, are going to leave us knackered and is the type of training not sustainable for longer than 8 weeks...:eek: :cool:
    The Tuesday sessions for the next four weeks are fast 90 sec hills (6-8 reps) and the Thursday sessions will be pyramid reps at 5k and right down to 800m pace. Weekends will be long and easy running; up to 90 mins alternated with a 5k and 3k time trial.

Wed
    5 miles easy
    2 sets deadlift with kettlebell (10kg) before bed

Thur
    5 miles easy with Myrtl after
    2 sets squats with 5kg kettlebells before bed

Fri
    Rest running
    5 mins jogging on spot:
    DS core (20 reps each)
    Squats etc (gym session but modified for at home) with kettlebells (20 reps per set)
    Myrtl for warm down
    Halo polished

Sat
    10.8k in way-too-fast. Oops. Was hard to hold back on this from the start. Was under time pressure too so sort of gave in and just ran :o

Sun
    56 mins easy with clubmates, mostly on grass. Tired from staying up too late and having a glass - ok three - of wine :rolleyes:

Weekly total 32 miles
    5 days running incl 1 hilly and 1 steady, all others gen aerobic
    5* on strength and conditioning :D

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    First session of new block: 6x90 sec hills, active recovery back to start

Oh my fecking jay-sirs....this was/is probably the toughest session I have ever done. It certainly felt like it at the time.

We (S and myself) chose a suitably steep hill pre-agreed with coachy (Strathmore Rd just after Killiney Dart stn) and probably went off a tad fast on the first. I know I looked at my watch early on and nearly cried when it only said 37 seconds :eek: However, it was good to get a marker of rough distance on the first. We didn't quite approach that marker on each subsequent one, each fell slightly shorter but effort certainly stayed the same! Each rep saw us doubled over after (not something I normally do), not helped by the bustard sly and sharp little increase in gradient about three-quarters way through each rep. The recovery was generally jogged very slowly and walked although I think on the third we walked all of the recovery. I know my legs felt like jelly from the first and by the last even my arms were weak :D Overall though, I was pleased with how the session came together.

I was running late for school pick up so we left it at 5 reps with the intention of doing the last on the way back. The sixth certainly wasn't as steep but we added a bit of time on to make up. Anyway....8....EIGHT to do next week. Coachy reckons we will start to feel the benefit of these after three to four weeks....sob....But seriously, this is only a four week block and now I can see why: mentally and physically these are very tough.
    Foot predictably flared up after hill work but not as bad as I anticipated. Iced it straight after and alternated heat and chilling in the evening.

Total 7.75mi incl long warm up and 3k warm down. Strides and stretching too.

Wed
    45 mins recovery pace. Could definitely feel yesterday in my legs but overall not too bad. Bum and hips quite stiff though! :eek: legs generally a bit heavy throughout the day, like dragging around a hangover in them. Wore slightly heeled boots which really staved off the worst of a PF attack. Must get some sort of foam heel wedge for all shoes. Scrunching up my foot really helps too.

Thur
    Easy recovery jog, 3.5 miles or so
    Bum and hips still quite stiff but foot ready for tomorrow's session, yippee (3x600, 3x400, 3x200 and another 3x200 at 5k, 3k, 1m and 800 pace)...,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wow, that hill session looks hard alright, nice work. What's next target for you?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Wow, that hill session looks hard alright, nice work. What's next target for you?

Hi Murph, national road relays (mid April) is the next big one. I'll be doing the mile leg. In the meantime there'll be a 5k, 3k and 1 mile time trial. My excitement increases exponentially as the distances decrease :D

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi Murph, national road relays (mid April) is the next big one. I'll be doing the mile leg. In the meantime there'll be a 5k, 3k and 1 mile time trial. My excitement increases exponentially as the distances decrease :D

Watched road relay last year in Raheny, think Lissie Lee anchored Lavelle to win, so you should be in good company, some serious Athletes. Where is it on this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Think it's always Raheny, G.

Watched road relay last year in Raheny, think Lissie Lee anchored Lavelle to win, so you should be in good company, some serious Athletes. Where is it on this year.

Hiya G, I won't be running in *that* company :eek: We'll be 'the opening Act', ie., the masters race :cool:
    We were fourth last year so looking to improve on that this year, no pressure, eh?!

Yes, I think Raheny has become the home of the relays but it wasn't always so, they used to take place at various locations around the country. I was a junior athlete when I ran on the senior team years and years ago, somewhere in a small town in the middle of Ireland. We did well that year, silver medal. Wonder can we equal that as masters? Must ask the pa where it was. Anyway, the Raheny loop is super fast and am really looking forward to it this year :)

Hiya G, I won't be running in *that* company :eek: We'll be 'the opening Act', ie., the masters race :cool:
    We were fourth last year so looking to improve on that this year, no pressure, eh?!

Yes, I think Raheny has become the home of the relays but it wasn't always so, they used to take place at various locations around the country. I was a junior athlete when I ran on the senior team years and years ago, somewhere in a small town in the middle of Ireland. We did well that year, silver medal. Wonder can we equal that as masters? Must ask the pa where it was. Anyway, the Raheny loop is super fast and am really looking forward to it this year :)

Will volunteer for marshalling and give u cheer on for change, the way you've been going in x/c this year, could be your year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Will volunteer for marshalling and give u cheer on for change, the way you've been going in x/c this year, could be your year:)

Definitely one to watch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »

+1 Sooooooh exciting to watch. Even won a kettle a few years ago in the spectators' raffle (the Raheny electrical appliance prize stash is not just limited to the runners) :D

Thanks G, just got to persuade the ol body to hold together (gawd am beginning to sound like the auld fellas :eek: ), in many ways the training is the easy part!
    annapr wrote: »
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 Sooooooh exciting to watch. Even won a kettle a few years ago in the spectators' raffle (the Raheny electrical appliance prize stash is not just limited to the runners) :D

It is, isn't it. More races should be on loops :)

Fri
    Downward pyramid session:

3x600m @5k pace (should be 3:5xish)
    3x400m @3k pace (who knows, faster than 5k pace anyway)
    3x200m @1m pace (3:25-28 pace)
    3x200m @800m pace = all out

200m rec between reps and 4 mins between sets

Fantastic session! This was great :)
    Warmed up, about 2k, and did some limbering, drills and dynamic stretches while waiting for S. Jogged some more, did some strides, discussed how we'd do the session (which field etc) and learned as a bonus that although recovery between reps was only 200m, we had 4 mins between sets.
    I remember, a year or so ago, when I was given a session with different paces for each rep that I sat down the night before with pen, paper, calculator, chewed lip and studious frown to work out the pace for each rep. Now we threw out random, quickly calculated paces on the hoof which turned out to be reasonably accurate. Ok, so we didn't quite stick to them but....

3x600s (5k pace) actual were: 3:45km down to 3:39 pace (aim 3:50ish)
    3x400s (3k pace) were 3:25km down to 3:19 pace (aim 3:34ish)*
    3x200 (1 mile pace) were 37, 38, 37 secs (shorter break between sets as time pressure reared its ugly head again)
    3x200 (800 pace) 35/36, 34, 34 or something silly. We did say 'no way could we string four of those together' but at the same time, coach had told us, 'just go flat out on these'.

Of course, the last two sets aren't completely accurate as they were hand timed on the go but we were really motoring. The whole session just seemed to get easier and easier. It was all very comfortable for the first two sets. We knew the last 400 of the 400s set got faster but we were still running within ourselves. It didn't start to really pinch until the last set of 200s and then we just let rip, why not?!

*My potty mouth definitely exercises itself when running. Poor S :o
    On the last 400m rep, I called out (politely!) to 'a yoof' walking his dog ahead of us as we were revving up for the last 150m. No response. Called again. No response. Passed him to see him focused on an ipod or some modern claptrap. "****ing earphones" I uttered as we passed, no doubt losing a split second or so in the utterance. I think I heard an actual exhalation of approval from S, unlike maybe on Tuesday when I called the driver fencing us in on our way up the Strathmore Rd a '****ing see you next tuesday'. The Strathmore Rd is a one way road and WE were going the right way....The bloody eejit came back to berate us (the right way this time) for not using the footpath :rolleyes:

PF flared up but did plenty of foot scrunching and shin stretching (sitting in a kneeling position and kneeling back) until got home much much later to ice and heat. Am monitoring my achilles tendon v v carefully for any signs of last summer's aggravation. I just want to run one really really good mile and 1500....feck that I want to run more than one really really good one....

1.75mi v easy warm down and little bit of stretching
    Total around 8 miles

Sat
    30 mins, 3.25mi v v slow. See, I can do it ;) I had no choice, bloody tired after yesterday.

Sun
    90 mins easy (1mi + 9mi)
    I sat at the table this morning, a bit groggy, sipping coffee and eating some toast when like magic, the grogginess vanished as I realised 'I get to run this morning and run long' :)
    We met at coachy's house for this; myself, S and JO'K, our stellar o/50 for a really beautiful run towards Greystones, around the boundary of the Killruddery demesne, past Glenview golf club, across the motorway, back to Kilmac along the very picturesque Quill Rd and from Kilmac along the back road to Bray. Really mild weather, a blue sky, fine drizzle and the most radiant rainbow all the way round...and the best company of course :)
    Tendon and arch slightly tender for the last mile or two but coachy reassuringly advised that it is probably due to the new type of work this week. Icing and chilling as I type....

Weekly total 36-38 miles give or take incl
    6 days running
    2 sessions
    1 lsr
    3 recovery runs

Basic maintenance work done (hip flexor loosening, heel drops etc) but no S&C as the hill session did that this week. Might do a light session tonight and should definitely do a DS core set. All in all, happy days, a v satisfying week.

week beg 21 Feb

Mon
    Rest
    Really bad flare up of PF caused simply by overdoing it between running. I do a lot of walking anyway but the last few weeks have seen me walking for a couple of hours on many days on top of the normal A-B-Z, often straight after a session or run. I knew I wouldn't be ready for the hill session Tuesday so after a chat and oblique telling-off from coachy, I postponed the hills til Thursday. This means no planned parkrun on Saturday but the hill session is definitely priority session in this block.

Tue
    easy - very easy - running, can't remember, maybe 4 miles

Wed
    Checked in with my local physiotherapist just to be on the safe side. He also loosened out my lower back and taped it up. Instant relief from the residual nagging since osteo visits in Jan.
    Easy running here and there, probably 5 miles in all. Accosted KU on my way to school/preschool pick up :D Wasn't going to mention the earphones KU but....

Thur
    The Hills :eek: 7x90 secs on a bloody steep hill (Strathmore Rd, Killiney)
    To be honest, this session had been playing on my mind all week - something I rarely let happen - and I know I wished I had been able to get it done and dusted earlier in the week. It did and didn't help that I would be doing it on my own if that makes sense?
    Thorough warm up of 20+ minutes incl one long pick up and then followed by limbering, some stand up Myrtl and strides. And some mental and physical shuddering. well, it was cold!
    The first one was ok and that's the best that can be said about the session.

On a serious note, 1 and 6 were probably the longest, 2-4 were pretty consistent and 5 and 7 were the shortest. Got some pitying looks from more than one walker....
    I felt dizzy after #4, queasy after #5 but deliriously elated too, wrecked after #6 and weak as a kitten after #7...from fingertips to toes.

Some stand up Myrtl and stretching before a shuffle jog for 1.5 miles before I gave up and walked.

Torture session, really serious torture, after with coachy on my calves and foot but much looser now. And we call this fun?! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wowsers, kudos for that session A, and solo too!,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice session DG but also barf, jees, that sounds really tough but it's done yeaeeee. Well done for sticking with it

Firedance wrote: »
    Wowsers, kudos for that session A, and solo too!,
    Thanks, yes, solo was definitely harder mentally. It was a long and gruelling one.
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice session DG but also barf, jees, that sounds really tough but it's done yeaeeee. Well done for sticking with it

thanks Neady :) It's all 'money in the bank'. I am actually looking forward to the next two...

A lil confession tho, Strathmore Rd is NOT one way so..... :o:o:o Sorry grumpy old man....

Fri
    Recovery run....emmmm.....oh yeah, a rushed 3.25mi. Had hair to tame and self to freshen up etc for club awards night. Each of coachy's f/40 were recognised so he had a rare smile that lasted longer than a minute :D:D Mine has the old school 'Veteran Runner of the year' engraving, back when Vets were o/40 and none of this o/35 Masters nonsense ;) 35s are still babies in their prime!!
    Three other boardsies received awards too, congrats wrstan, KC and C!

Sat
    AM 6mi: I felt kinda guilty for not running this so when I woke at 8:15, blearily decided to go and support. Saw my clubmate zoom home to a parkrun PB and a really strong early season time :cool:

PM 6mi 'just because I could'

Sun
    4 miles incl 6x200m at fast cruising pace, full recovery by feel (breathing, heart down) in between each. I finally bit the bullet and tried out my new racers, Hitogami Wave. Not for me. Too tight across the toe box or the seams do not agree with my foot spread. Popped into AK to have a chat but nothing there for me yet. They are really only a back up pair to wear when conditions are too wet for the Saucony A6s. Just to remind myself - and to convince myself I wasn't making it up - I slipped on the A6s when I got home and they really are like the lightest, most comfortable pair of winged slippers....but no good in wet surfaces :( Anyone any recommendations for a really light racer with good grip?

Weekly total about 36 miles
    6 days running incl one unscheduled double day:
    1 session
    1 turnover day
    5 recovery and GA runs

Physio and sports massage maintenance
    Some S&C work

Running log week beg Mon 29 Feb

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    'The Hills'.
    8 of them.
    Eight...
    EIGHT....
    EIGHT!!!!!

As I typed this, later that day with my feet in an ice bucket and sipping a glass of red, my legs still felt like jelly. But the wine was not helping that ;):D

Did this with S, the company helped make this session easier mentally insomuch as we shared the pain, nevertheless it was painfully long, mentally and physically :eek:
    I found breaking it down into two sets of four helped, so instead of thinking 'gawd, 5, 6,7 and 8 still to do', it seemed easier to say 'only four to do'. Weird.

The first two were the longest we have gone in all three sessions. The next six didn't go near the first two but were all consistent in distance and some pretty near my 'farthest point' of last week. Coachy advised that when the reps start to shorten considerably, time to can the session. He also advised to take as much recovery as we needed, which we did via a walk back down recovery and some short stretching.

About 7.5 or 8 miles incl 3k warm up plus strides and stretching, 3k warm down.

Strange, the six scheduled for next week are going to feel like a doddle :D

Wed
    Recovery run of 4.25mi. Slow enough. Back to stiff bum and hips!
    1 mile jog later in the day to drop off library books.

Thur
    Rest. Sit ups and squats before bed.

Fri
    Downward pyramid session #2
    3x600m @5k pace (should be 3:5xish)
    3x400m @3k pace (who knows, faster than 5k pace anyway)
    3x200m @1m pace (3:25-28 pace)
    3x200m @800m pace = all out

200m rec between reps and 4 mins between sets

The 600s were 2:07, 2:12 and 2:07
    The 400s were 81, 84 and 83, I think. The last 400 was tough enough.
    The first set of 200s were 38-39, more controlled this week
    The 'all out' 200s were 36-34 (my last probably nearer 35) but I lost all form and turnover on the last one, just tied up through fatigue. S left me for dust!

I wore my Saucony A6s for this and slippage was not very noticeable so may stick with them in damp conditions. We were stricter on the 200m recoveries between reps and timed the 4 min gap between sets exactly so overall probably a more effective session this week, despite conditions. Actually the hardest part about this session was getting out the door. I had a million and one damn good reasons for not going out in this miserable, freezing weather but insanity won....again.

A recovery run tomorrow and 1.5h easy on Sunday will finish off the week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Fri
    Recovery run....emmmm.....oh yeah, a rushed 3.25mi. Had hair to tame and self to freshen up etc for club awards night. Each of coachy's f/40 were recognised so he had a rare smile that lasted longer than a minute :D:D Mine has the old school 'Veteran Runner of the year' engraving, back when Vets were o/40 and none of this o/35 Masters nonsense ;) 35s are still babies in their prime!!
    Three other boardsies received awards too, congrats wrstan, KC and C!

Sat
    AM 6mi: I felt kinda guilty for not running this so when I woke at 8:15, blearily decided to go and support. Saw my clubmate zoom home to a parkrun PB and a really strong early season time :cool:

PM 6mi 'just because I could'

Sun
    4 miles incl 6x200m at fast cruising pace, full recovery by feel (breathing, heart down) in between each. I finally bit the bullet and tried out my new racers, Hitogami Wave. Not for me. Too tight across the toe box or the seams do not agree with my foot spread. Popped into AK to have a chat but nothing there for me yet. They are really only a back up pair to wear when conditions are too wet for the Saucony A6s. Just to remind myself - and to convince myself I wasn't making it up - I slipped on the A6s when I got home and they really are like the lightest, most comfortable pair of winged slippers....but no good in wet surfaces :( Anyone any recommendations for a really light racer with good grip?

Weekly total about 36 miles
    6 days running incl one unscheduled double day:
    1 session
    1 turnover day
    5 recovery and GA runs

Physio and sports massage maintenance
    Some S&C work

I've a pair of those Hitogami's though I thought they were more of a long distance racer .

Oh ok thanks, they're not for me, whatever the distance, my foot just didn't like them! Having worn the A6s on the hills on Tuesday and again today, both days in damp conditions, I think I'll suck it up and stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Congrats on the club award!

Those hill sprints.....are they eyeballs out as fast as you can go :eek: ? Sounds savage.

I wore my A6s recently on a wet enough night and didn't notice any slippage. They're new though, so maybe they tend towards slippiness as they wear down ?

Think u need start 30 day chalange for hips & bum, seem to remember very wise mentor recommending.:)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Congrats on the club award!

Those hill sprints.....are they eyeballs out as fast as you can go :eek: ? Sounds savage.

I wore my A6s recently on a wet enough night and didn't notice any slippage. They're new though, so maybe they tend towards slippiness as they wear down ?
    Thanks BG and congrats yourself! Your team WIN was in no doubt helped enormously by your improvements this year so well done you!

Yeah, they're pretty much as hard as you can go, all the way up but the furthest we did distance wise was 330m I think which tells you more about the gradient!

Funnily enough, I am noticing the slippage less as the shoes get more wear...or maybe I am slowing down :eek: :D
    Think u need start 30 day chalange for hips & bum, seem to remember very wise mentor recommending.:)
    Ha, really? Wonder who that was?! You have a point, G but I am ignoring you for now :p

• Advertisement

Sat 3
    Hmmmm ....can't remember but it was definitely done because I remember my quads were stiff from the previous day's session. I also remember having to tear myself away from typing up Ronnie's interview. My typing is painfully slow and laborious but this was an absolute pleasure.
    Let's call this one four miles.

Sun
    10 miles, mainly on grass. Certainly not fresh as a daisy on this one but coachy told us we were clipping along nicely. After, was quite tired too. I don't know when I started to get notions that you shouldn't be tired after 10 miles....10 miles is 10 miles!! I remember when I was young(er ;) ), my dad coming in telling me he had run 10 miles and I thought he was the bees knees :D

Weekly total 34 miles
    Incl 6 days running
    2 key sessions (hills and intervals)
    1 mlr

Have been stretching and doing stand up Myrtl too on a regular basis. Halo polished.

Week beg Mon 7th March

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    Hill session planned: 6x90 secs. Actual: 7xca 70 secs

Child illness, so had to postpone the morning hill session until the evening when a short window of opportunity opened. The regular place for this (Strathmore Rd) wasn't feasible due to time so settled on a hill close to home. This was probably just about steep enough but the maximum I could extract out of it was 70-73 seconds before running into a dead end. Nowhere else long enough felt safe enough by 8pm.

This session was tough enough and I really pushed myself in the absence of S however there is no doubt it lacked the 'bite' of Strathmore Rd. I sorta knew this when I could actually jog the 3k home....Saying that, I did feel a bit pukey and/or dizzy on the last few so was working hard enough :)

Bye bye hills, hello track but in between we have the small matter of a 3k TT this Saturday and a few days off hard training before building for the Relays. I am going to follow my own advice to Firedance and incorporate a stricter bedtime for the next few weeks. However, if she catches me up late, I know she is up later :p

Wed
    35 mins recovery run. Started off grand but ended up feeling sh|te. Had to go back to bed this morn too, complete lack of energy. Echinacea bought and taken.

Advertisement