Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Brilliant report to match you and your teams brilliant result on Sunday.
    National champions, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Hannibelle Smeeeth

Excellent read. Congratulations DG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks again everyone, must work on race report brevity. I am a miler, not a marathoner ;) Anyway, back to it

Wed
    Ehm can't remember

Thur
    Nope, lost in the fog

Fri
    Hmmm this is getting worrying

Sat
    Easy 20 mins with strides

Sun
    National Road Relays, see report
    6 miles

No weekly total, see above :o It was all short, easy miles and strides.

Mon
    25 mins v easy just to run yesterday out of my legs. Felt a weird hypo dizziness towards end and sure enough chowed a shovel of carbs down when I got home and said hello to Flo. Nice timing missus ;)

Tue
    20 mins easy. Niggles quiet. Felt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Brilliant report DG and what a performance, it's really insightful to get the inside track on the psychology of getting prepared for such a big race - thank you for that. Must file this away in my memory for the boards awards later in the year. Well done again, that's an achievement that you and your kids will look back on with pride for the rest of your life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Really enjoyed the race report, very exciting! :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Neady and C :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone, must work on race report brevity. I am a miler, not a marathoner ;) Anyway, back to it

Wed
    Ehm can't remember

Thur
    Nope, lost in the fog

Fri
    Hmmm this is getting worrying

Sat
    Easy 20 mins with strides

Sun
    National Road Relays, see report
    6 miles

No weekly total, see above :o It was all short, easy miles and strides.

Mon
    25 mins v easy just to run yesterday out of my legs. Felt a weird hypo dizziness towards end and sure enough chowed a shovel of carbs down when I got home and said hello to Flo. Nice timing missus ;)

Tue

If you wore a garmin you'd at least of some idea of what running you did early last week:D

adrian522 wrote: »
    If you wore a garmin you'd at least of some idea of what running you did early last week:D

:P Quit your heinous heresy, heretic!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

:P Quit your heinous heresy, heretic!

Congratulations on your epic race and great report by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Saw the result, saw the flurry of posts coming in, waited till there was as report to go with it - and glad I did :-)

Well done DG - what a genuinely fantastic achievement, you seem almost as proud as you should be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Ashford?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great report, DG. I read it when you posted it, have just re-read it now and I suspect I will read it again before each and every mile race I do.

Best of luck for Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Great report! And good luck on Sunday!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your epic race and great report by the way!
    Duanington wrote: »
    Saw the result, saw the flurry of posts coming in, waited till there was as report to go with it - and glad I did :-)

Well done DG - what a genuinely fantastic achievement, you seem almost as proud as you should be
    Thanks Adrian and D :) 'almost'? Yes, I definitely am :)

Ashford?;)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great report, DG. I read it when you posted it, have just re-read it now and I suspect I will read it again before each and every mile race I do.

Best of luck for Sunday!
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    Great report! And good luck on Sunday!
    Waaah waaah no, WG, gave Ashford a miss because of Sunday and just got an email from the mile event saying it has been cancelled.....am gutted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wow a fantastic report and a lesson for me on race rep, well done

Thanks Adrian and D :) 'almost'? Yes, I definitely am :)

Waaah waaah no, WG, gave Ashford a miss because of Sunday and just got an email from the mile event saying it has been cancelled.....am gutted....

What? Why?? Was looking forward to watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah ****e, that's a pity, was looking forward to it too as I'll be around for the 5k run.

Younganne wrote: »
    Wow a fantastic report and a lesson for me on race rep, well done
    Thnks Younganne :)
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    What? Why?? Was looking forward to watching
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah ****e, that's a pity, was looking forward to it too as I'll be around for the 5k run.

Not sure, I was told "logistics" but I can't help feeling numbers might have been a part of it. Maybe not enough athletes/milers were interested.

Pretty boring update here.....

week beg Mon 18 April

Mon
    25 mins v easy just to run yesterday out of my legs. Felt a weird hypo dizziness towards end and sure enough chowed a shovel of carbs down and said hello to Flo. Nice timing missus ;)

Tue

Wed
    6x200s
    Hip and bum not good :(

Thur
    Heard mile cancelled. Frantic search to find substitute
    Rest yoga sequence X2 (am and pm)

Fri
    4 miles. Tears after, body sore, needs rest. Time to accept!
    Yoga sequencex2 (am and pm)

Sat
    3 miles
    Yoga sequence x1

Sun
    Yoga sequence am
    6 miles
    Bum not great.

Weekly total 23.5 miles incl:
    6 days, all easy running
    1 light session
    1 broken tired body

END OF SEASON BREAK STARTS HERE

Mon
    Rest
    Holistic massage. Therapist noticed fluid filled sack on lower right hand back area where 'the niggle' has been. Odd place for a bursa so might get it looked at.

Tue
    Enforced rest. Back not tight, bum tight...both sides argh!

This is the yoga sequence I have been using. Anyone any thoughts on it? Should the poses have more guidance if a complete beginner?

http://youtu.be/GHiMDcBONhU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

The main thing to remember in yoga is to feel no pain, if you feel resistance, leave the stretch there, don't push it. To be honest, I'd be doing some Sun Salutations (do 3 each side) before anything else, its a great warmup for the body, she goes straight into a sequence no warm up.. Actually, I"d just concentrate on those for a week or so, get the body used to them, throw in some warrier poses and then progress to this. She says 'yoga for runners' but all of the basic yoga poses (down dog, plank, cobra or updog, transition lunge etc) are good for runners anyway. A tip for down dog to know you're got the spacing right, go straight into plank, you shouldn't need to adjust your arms or legs.

How are you finding it?

• Advertisement

Thanks FD. Yes, am painfully (although painlessly, promise) inflexible. My stretch over my legs is laughable. Except if I laughed, I'd tear a hamstring. I like this sequence, she's nice and chilled and not too annoying. I have been scarred by a previous - real life - annoying yoga teacher. I should probably recce a video for complete eejits beginners to make sure I have the basic poses in the right, well, pose....

I've not been doing it twice daily in the last few days, I want to get my piriformis/hamstring/hip seen to first but my back has stayed loose. Here's hoping!

Thanks FD. Yes, am painfully (although painlessly, promise) inflexible. My stretch over my legs is laughable. Except if I laughed, I'd tear a hamstring. I like this sequence, she's nice and chilled and not too annoying. I have been scarred by a previous - real life - annoying yoga teacher. I should probably recce a video for complete eejits beginners to make sure I have the basic poses in the right, well, pose....

I've not been doing it twice daily in the last few days, I want to get my piriformis/hamstring/hip seen to first but my back has stayed loose. Here's hoping!

I haven't done yoga for about a year now (though I do a Pilates class once a week), but when I was doing it, I really liked this online teacher -- sometimes I'd go to her videos to clarify things I hadn't quite got the hang of in class. She has loads of really beginnery videos I liked -- I'm pretty flexible (through no credit of my own, it's completely unearned!) but terrible at co-ordination / body awareness and moving from one pose to another, so watching it again at home was a real help.

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

Thanks a mill HelenAnne. Am about to have a glass of wine with dinner so probably should wait to try it until tomorrow....

May as well update:

Mon rest

Tue rest

Wed 4 easy, yoga after
    Still tight

Thur 3 easy with good stretching after incl a couple of yoga-based stretches.
    Still tight, no fluidity, no power. Am thinking it's piriformis-related but right hip is starting to tighten too so probably need back straightened and loosened.
    Earliest physio appt next Wed

Fri hmmm rest, yes, rest

Sat enforced rest. Took the kids to Greystones for the IMC meet. 5yo was gratifyingly uber excited about this, 3yo slightly less so. He had been promised a DART adventure to Howth.... :rolleyes:

We saw up to the men's 5k event, including chivito's 100m, our own Richard Owen's great performance in the 5k and Timmaay's blinding win in the B 1500m. Fantastic finish.

The 3yo demanded a trip to the playground but we chose the warmth of Zoom play area instead (it was on the menu, but after the women's 1500m). There we stayed for the next couple of hours and armed with an Americano and brownie, had a grandstand - but silent - view of all the lithe and athletic athletes :D prancing around the track.
    We got back too late for the sitter who was going to let me out for a run so instead we had a movie night: pizza and wine (cranberry juice for the kids of course), what else when you don't get to run?!

Sun
    Back ok but bum tight over last couple of days.
    Planned 10k easy but with a couple of opt out points en route. Started off well but a bit dead legged. Butt tightness started to kick in after 2 miles so dialled back the pace (even more) and left it at the 5 mile route. Plantar tightened up too around mile 4, both on same side and no doubt connected.

Plenty of stretching, hockey ball and foam rolling on return. Also ran through this routine, over in a flash, nearly tempted to do it twice....

http://youtu.be/ioELqxr-Q_w

Also came across this on fb yesterday, absolutely fascinating and would love to take part in something like this:

Ethiopian off season training:
    http://youtu.be/allcgyEAWB0

http://youtu.be/allcgyEAWB0

Weekly update:
    Down week/season break 12 miles :eek:
    3 days running, all easy

Yoga, strength, rehab and stretching all done to some degree.
    Few late nights, a night out and wine had this week so feel like I have had a proper break :cool:

Back to work now. Physio on wed which will hopefully get to the bottom (intended) of this.

May will be a building month with:
    key session #1 alternating between hills in Ballinastoe and tempo runs.
    Key session #2 rolling 100, 200 and 300s on the track
    Key session #3 will be a weekend long run 13-15 miles incl some mp miles with the clubmates.
    All sandwiched with v easy runs of 45 mins-hour.

I really like this month, lovely blend of hills (love), speed and loooong. I also get to do a mile race later in the month. Happy days.

That looks good, you could easily do it twice or do it and then do Myrtl... all the exercises (plus a lot more) in it are on my list from Myles apart from the planks.

Apart form the mile race what's up next?

Firedance wrote: »
    That looks good, you could easily do it twice or do it and then do Myrtl... all the exercises (plus a lot more) in it are on my list from Myles apart from the planks.

Apart form the mile race what's up next?

Yes, that's what I thought too, all except the planks are on my 'to do' list. I like the idea of doing them by time instead of sets...although you could do the routine three times and that would be 3 'sets' :rolleyes:

The mile race is in three weeks and then the Leinster ch'ships 1500m two weeks after. I won't be race sharp for it but should be strong. After that, the plan is to have a step back and then race myself fit right through to the nationals in August, so lots of track: a couple of 800s, a couple of 3000s and as many 1500s as fit into the schedule.

*emerges from the depths of page 4....*

First week of new programme completed and the sun comes out :cool:

Mon
    45+ mins on grass with nop.

Thorough stand up Myrtl done prior to run and sidewards piriformis stretch.

Very enjoyable run with 'things' talked about ;) Bum behaved although both hamstrings a teensy bit tight. Slight DOMS after yesterdays '7 minute' routine :o It felt so easy, I did 3 'sets' so thanks FD :mad: :D

Plenty of quad and calf stretching after.

Tue
    5 miles easy/steady on road
    with a couple of hills. Hip quite tight towards end but had been pushing the pace unnecessarily. Gorgeous evening for running.

Wed
    4mi easy? Can't remember if I ran after the school run. Maybe not, IIRC I was quite woozy from a late night and two bottles of Prosecco with friend over from London...

Later 1.5mi to physio, 1 mile back
    My squat technique is atrocious. There was much laughter. Corrected. Cobra technique was also...not correct :rolleyes:
    Have to keep on top of lower back flexibility and loosening the area out.

Thur
    Just under an hour easy running,
    half road, half grass. Gorgeous morning for running. Legs not great but think it is the effects of general tightness. Stretching etc after

Fri
    Am planned jog didn't materialise because of kiddie sickness/no school/miraculous recovery :rolleyes:

PM Tempo session ON GRASS in racers
    2x2mi @ < 6:30
    (to work down to 6:20 pace over the month :eek: ) pace with 2 min rec

Met clubmates for this, the hardcore ones. Got to park nice and early for 20+ mins easy jogging followed by very thorough stretching of hips, hamstrings and piriformis as well as stand up Myrtl and all the other usual bits.
    Bum was still tight and at times tender. Was a bit worried about how it would all hold up for the session. Suspected it could end in tears....

All behaved well during warm up etc, in fact things only tightened up towards the end (last mile).

We used a fast half mile lap, ground was bumpy and tufty in places but firm and fast overall.

All done by feel and watch checked afterwards :p

Rep 1: 6:26 pace.
    Felt strong and comfortable on this. Effort levels hard but manageable.
    Rep 2: 6:29 pace
    Pace felt slower on this, thought it had slowed to ca 7m/mi pace but effort levels were higher. V surprised to see overall session consistency.
    Last mile tough enough, I dropped off the pace and felt everything tighten up but no pain. I suspect that muscle tightness fed the fatigue and fatigue fed the tightness. Could barely shuffle jog when finished but stretching after, incl stand up Myrtl, loosened things out enormously...and a hot bath before bed.

About 8.5mi

Sat
    Wet run: 4.5mi v v easy
    , on road and 'on empty' (coffee and 3 dried apricots).
    On waking: heel drops, knee bends, cobra, rear leg lunge and piriformis stretch. From stiff ol body to lithe and ahem lissom in that space ;):D

Had factored in up to an hour of easy running but took the wise choice and listened to the little signals my body was telling me: "keep it short and easy, please!!"

Stretching after and PM

Sun
    Lsr 13.5 miles easy
    , (8:08 pace) on road and again 'on empty'.

Stand up Myrtl, calf, hip and piriformis stretching done prior to run as well as heel drops and knee bends on waking

The five of us doing this all had plans for the day so arranged to meet at 7:40am, on the run at 7:45. I feel like a real runner now. I used to hear of these unsociable weekend runs and gently roll my eyes....

All the stretching since Friday helped. Minor tightness towards the end of the run on hills (piriformis). All at comfortable conversation pace but was definitely feeling it the last two miles. Legs nicely wrecked now. I love that feeling :D

Calf, quad, hip, piriformis, cobra, back, abductor and adductor stretching done post run plus:
    Feet icing
    Calf foam rolling
    Myrtl, complete routine but 5 reps each move. I used this demo: http://youtu.be/2GLrKr54yA0

7 min strength routine (1 set)

with modified rear leg lunge, followed by 5x cobra and child's pose.

Weekly breakdown 44.5 miles*
    6.5 days' running incl 2.5 runs on grass, rest on road and tarmac
    1 tempo (grass)
    1 lsr (road)
    1 mlr (half road half grass)
    1 physio visit

Umpteen yoga/stretches, rehab, mobility and S&C...now, as aquinn gently admonished me during the week, I just have to be consistent with it :o

*Oops may have jumped up too quickly this week. The plan for this month has two rest days built in. I blame nop for Monday :D

Anyway, feels great to be back in structured training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great week! Good to see it!

now, as aquinn gently admonished me during the week, I just have to be consistent with it :o

Really? she's having a go at you too?!!! :D:D good on you aquinn, we'd be lost without your nagging/guidance/wisdom :D

That's a super weeks training A.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great week! Good to see it!
    Thanks and yes, good to DO it :):)
    Firedance wrote: »
    Really? she's having a go at you too?!!! :D:D good on you aquinn, we'd be lost without your nagging/guidance/wisdom :D

That's a super weeks training A.

Yes...the sooner she gets back to bloody running and leaves us alone the better :mad: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

One month down, many more to go so don't hold your breath.

What news on stretches so?

Advertisement