Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

As Adam Ant was inclined to say "Stand and Deliver" DG. Best of luck A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks tang :) Butterflies are starting! Can I use this as an opportunity to get the sandbagging done: sleepless night, hip twinging slightly, aunty flo here and ehmmm...oh yeah, I am going to be slaughtered. Think that does it :D

Echm? now what kind of PMA is that??!!! you'll be brilliant, remind yourself of that as you're whizzing around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck DG!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The 1500, yes ? Kick butt !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Best of luck DG :)
    Thank you!
    denis b wrote: »
    As Adam Ant was inclined to say "Stand and Deliver" DG. Best of luck A.
    Brilliant, love it! And thanks :)
    Firedance wrote: »
    Echm? now what kind of PMA is that??!!! you'll be brilliant, remind yourself of that as you're whizzing around...
    Ah no, I'll be slaughtered but it's the good kind of slaughter :D
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Best of luck DG!
    Thanks! Days like this are what it's all for!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    The 1500, yes ? Kick butt !
    Yup...arghhhhhh! Thanks! Over and out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Best of luck today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck today!!

Hope it went well. I'm sure Ronnie was cheering for you. ;)

Thanks all. I have a DNF to report, unfortunately. More tomorrow, actually Tuesday, family stuff to celebrate before then. In the meantime, I have the Einstein definition of madness to 'justify' my non-finish. This would have been the third race in a row where the same pattern would have been repeated so while that step of the track was uncomfortable, it was also the right move.

Super brief update. X ray results are back which show mild wear and tear in left hip and moderate in the lower lumbar region, both of which are nothing unusual.

Physio theory is that the uncomfortable joint may be radiating pain to the soft tissue. The soft tissue is probably inflamed. A deep tissue massage on Sunday was agony on my left side from the quad up. I have taken anti inflammatories and the discomfort has lessened down to 1 on a scale from 1-10.

I have been for a couple of easy runs, one with strides and while not perfect, a lot better, unlike the evening before the aborted 1500 when my left foot felt floppy and uncontrolled on the strides. Another massage on Thursday showed my legs to be in v good condition, no knots except for the remnants of one ginormous one in my quad from Sunday.

There were a number of other factors present before the race which have prompted me to question my decision to step off the track but the pain and discomfort in my hip, hamstring and butt-awhk from Saturday and the next few days remind me that I made the right decision.

Onwards...on a day by day basis :)

Hi Singer....where'd you go?! Next step is still the nationals - the Nats, à lá BG :) - in two weeks. A time trial this morning confirmed that all the RnR this week is taking things in the right direction:
    RH, the RD of the PR very kindly and cheerfully - again - allowed me to piggy back the front runners for a 1200m TT @ race pace this morning. Job done in just outside 4 minutes. Hip only slightly tender now. Phew. Am off for a nap now, feeling kinda tired :)

• Advertisement

Running log w/e 21 Aug 2016

Working backwards:

Fri 19
    AM 1 mile jog to physio and 1 mile back in poooooouring rain. Arrived like a drowned rat.

This went well, the final touch to a week of throwing money at my body. I spent a good hour having my left buttock exposed, prodded and massaged in broad daylight. That's more than any of my lovers ever got. Thankfully Karl's eyesight is atrocious. I know this because he couldn't find 'tensor fascia latae' on the very detailed diagram he was showing me as I lay prone on my tummy with a heat pack on said cosseted butt cheek. I could.

The problem is definitely not an injury. It is - and I quote - "a behavioural problem". The inter-costal (?) muscles in the hip are working too hard and the spasming is related to efforts made stabilising my too-mobile hip rotation. So I have to teach my brain and muscles to communicate again. This can be done instantly, well enough to get me past sunday, with two simple exercises:
    - stand on one foot with heel firmly rooted. Lift one bent leg with femur parallel to ground and extend out and return in
    - lie on tummy. Lift lower leg from knee perpendicular to ground, slowly extend out and down and return.

Am slightly emotional now writing this update but I believe that may be the after-effects of all the body love this week. That and napping at the drop of a hat. I fell asleep on the sofa this afternoon snuggled up to my two and didn't even have the energy to snort in disgust at their choice of a Barbie movie on You Tube. That's how wrecked I was. Maybe they know better than I however, as I managed - between dozy drifts - to establish that it was all about visualisation during competition. Whould'a thunk it, barbie?!

Thur 18
    This followed a firm enough deep tissue massage in the calves, arches, quads and hammies yesterday from coachy. He remarked that my legs were in the best shape he has seen them and a mile away from the yelping and lepping off the table I was doing post DNF.
    No running but a fair bit of walking. Wreck.duh.

Wed 17
    Tune up session in spikes on track: 600, 400 and 200 @ race pace (80 secs)
    Done in 78,77 and 76 pace. This was allowed, just no heroics and more to get a feel for pace and effort.
    It felt pacey (how the **** was I churning out 74s and under earlier this year?!) but controlled and comfortable. While there were twinges in the hip before and after, there were none during the session.

Tue 16
    Thai massage. Wrecked after and 35 mins easy, rec pace and effort later in the day definitely not a good idea. There is a very good reason to work out prior to any sort of treatment. Zonked. Relaxing bath before bed.

Mon 15
    Rest

Sun 14
    Parnell AC 4x1 mile relay race, 3rd leg in ca 5:32 and first mixed team (third overall)
    Our combined effort was 21:16
    Wild Garlic galloped in the finishing bit of the 4 mile looking fresh as a strong and controlled daisy :D
    RH, the PR RD ran first leg in a speedy 5:02, BeepBeep handed over in second however third place and first place took off at 5:05-10 pace. I stayed near them as long as I could but inevitably fell off pace.
    However, it was all good as this was all about redemption after Celbridge....and a tune up for 'the Nats' (TM BG). My mental and physical games got a good workout. Job done. Would have liked to have seen sub 5:30 on my watch (yes, I did actually) but for a pretty much solo effort, that will do. All going in the right direction. Maybe not as fast as I would like but 'the main thing' etc etc ;) It also roughly indicates that I am in national road relay shape...or better.
    No hip twinges during race with some significant stiffness the following day.

Sat 13
    We are reaching back into the mists of time here. It was probably 30 mins v easy

Fri 12
    As above, probably easy with strides

Thur 11
    Rest or easy miles prior to deep tissue massage. Not as ouchy as previous.

Wed 10
    4x400 at target race pace with 200 rec. This didn't go great but nothing to worry over because tarmac surface was greasy with a light drizzle. My sauconys do not like this sort of light, slick surface. Was windy too so reps were all slightly over target pace but distances were also slightly estimated from previous sessions. The uneven surface and disrupted stride pattern did however set my hip a-twinging.

Tue 9
    30-40 mins? Your guess is as good as mine!

Mon 8
    Probably rest

Sun 7
    Recovery miles followed by ouchy deep tissue massage. Ginormous lump in left quad is, however, diminishing. The sweat it has taken to do that.....

Sat 6
    1200m Time trial as above in ca 4 mins.

And that's as far back as I can go.

And so this is it. My preparation, imo, has been less than ideal and I know several reading along the way have probably thought 'pull the bloody plug woman and get back to the drawing board'.
    However, the reassurance that this is not an injury has, I am afraid, given full leash to my stubborn optimism that everything will be alright. The comments of an RTE presenter (Derval?) this week fuelled that obstinacy when she remarked that athletes are an optimistic breed and they certainly will never pull the plug on an event they have poured so much blood, sweat and bloody-minded tears into.

So am I ready? Yes I am. Any doubts about my physical preparation can be assuaged by a flick back at my log to four weeks ago when I was writing 'flying' and 'powerful'. That won't disappear in four weeks and the enforced throttle-back on training can only have left me fresh. I have done enough sharpening stuff in that four weeks.
    I am bringing a bag full of mental preparation to the line on Sunday. On paper, I am seeded fourth out of five entrants for the o/40 cat. You can bet your bottom dollar, that is going to have risen on Sunday night when the National Masters T&F are over for another year.

I predict that Mulberry and Bungy Girl are going to be walking away two very satisfied runners on Sunday evening and deservedly so. Anyone else racing in Tullamore on Sunday say hello. I'll be in a Sli Cualann singlet and won't flinch if you introduce yourself by saying 'I know this sounds weird but are you DG?' :D:D

Over and out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck at the weekend. Give it what you've got and walk away happy that you had nothing else to give...and of course ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck at the weekend give it socks and enjoy the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

See you there !:D!:D!:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Your log reads like a battle cry! Go and kick ass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck A, hope it goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Enjoy DG, hope it's a great day and experience for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Go get em!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You have better recall for your bodywork than your running. Probably a good omen, right? :) All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck, you'll do great after all that physio and tapering. Seems to have worked for Thomas Barr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

All the very best for you for tomorrow! Run your socks off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

All the best A, sounds like you should run like bionic woman after all that
    rebuilding, enjoy the day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Have to say agree with Singer... That last entry sounds like a battle cry indeed!! Very best of luck, give it your all and enjoy!!

Thanks all, your best wishes are very much appreciated!

Ps race not til 5:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Good luck with the race DG!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks all, your best wishes are very much appreciated!

Ps race not til 5:30!

5:30!!! We'll try not to be too anxious waiting! Very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Saucy stuff Mrs Bling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

^^^^saucy indeed :D massive congrats xx

• Advertisement

Again, thanks for all the well wishes above. They really mean a lot!

I left nothing out there today, FBOT, you will be pleased to hear but my battle cry left a little bit to be desired; my legs didn't respond from early on when I asked them to stay with the leading group. They did, however, do enough to earn a national bronze medal in the o/40 national championships 1500m so all is well with the world. An individual national medal was one of my early season goals so another box ticked.

I'll write a full report tomorrow but for now, my bed is calling screaming at me.

Huuuuge congrats to BG on an absolutely fabulous end of season and also to Mulberry who achieved gold today. Not a bad little boardsie haul today, no doubt there are a few more?!

Advertisement