Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congratulations DG! Delighted to hear about the bronze!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

woohoo, well done, delighted for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Congrats on the medal!! What a result! There's not a smiley with a big enough grin to express how happy I am for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Congrats on another target hit:) great racing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Well done DG, delighted to hear about the medal, I look forward to reading the report tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

DGtastic. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

You can't ask for much more than a performance where you walk away happy that you give it all you had on any given day, A. All the better when that means you walk away with a bit of bling too. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Woh woh a medal well done congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Many congrats on the medal win! It's the norm now on this log to be on the podium . :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Super well done A and very sweet given the final weeks leading up to the nats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Delighted for ya. No wussing out of the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Saucy stuff Mrs Bling!
    Ha. I think I'll get them all threaded into a thong and do a hoola :D
    Firedance wrote: »
    ^^^^saucy indeed :D massive congrats xx
    Thanks FD and thanks for all the support over the last few weeks, means a lot xx
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Congratulations DG! Delighted to hear about the bronze!
    Thanks O. Me too, just scraped it on the finishing straight, phew!
    Younganne wrote: »
    woohoo, well done, delighted for you
    Thanks Anne!
    Congrats on the medal!! What a result! There's not a smiley with a big enough grin to express how happy I am for you!
    Ah you're a sweetie,thanks so much!
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Congrats on another target hit:) great racing again.
    Thanks G. Actually not great racing :( ...see below....
    spaceylou wrote: »
    Well done DG, delighted to hear about the medal, I look forward to reading the report tomorrow :D
    Haha, you mean tomorrow tomorrow??! And thanks!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    DGtastic. Congrats!
    Thanks D!
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    You can't ask for much more than a performance where you walk away happy that you give it all you had on any given day, A. All the better when that means you walk away with a bit of bling too. Congrats!
    You got it in a nutshell M. Just not very happy with what I had on the day....
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Woh woh a medal well done congrats :)
    Thanks A!
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Many congrats on the medal win! It's the norm now on this log to be on the podium . :-)
    Ah thanks but never take it for granted R :)
    denis b wrote: »
    Super well done A and very sweet given the final weeks leading up to the nats.
    Thanks Denis. Yes, when you put it like that. Still have to get to the bottom of it all tho....
    Singer wrote: »
    Delighted for ya. No wussing out of the report!
    Yup B, afraid that is exactly what I am trying to do :(
    On Monday, I excused myself with the 'internal reflection and analysis' excuse. Today it's more the external 'meh' excuse.
    The race didn't go well, physically, and I'm just stretching a few ideas around the old grey matter before committing them electronically. I also need to trawl through my log and map the hip and bum thang, something I should have done weeks ago.
    But in the meantime thank you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Oh a top 3 in nationals DG, massive congratulations :). Sorry you're not happy with how it went but if anyone can reflect, analyse and overcome, you can :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Oh a top 3 in nationals DG, massive congratulations :). Sorry you're not happy with how it went but if anyone can reflect, analyse and overcome, you can :)

Thanks Neady, hope you're 'all better now'?

Hmmm has it really been that long? I've been thinking and thinking and doing not a lot else over the last couple of weeks... with not much to report back.

The race report basically goes:
    - disappointing

Why?
    - off maintenance training
    - probably too much 'treatment' in the week prior to the race

Cos of:
    - jippy hip and shot glute

So......where now?

Tbh, I still don't know. The Official Plan is to use this month to
    1) get used to the bike and use with no hip or bum repurcussions. So far so good.
    2) start a twice weekly gym specific programme devised by physio and coach
    3) build up from zero miles since the nats to 3-4 times running per week by end Sept
    4) run with no pain or twinges or flare ups afterwards. I'll bite the bullet and have an MRI done in the meantime to get a fuller picture.

After that, we'll work it all out. Cross country is not going to be a priority this year, indoor season is. The target will also be to race once a month as between one thing and another, that has gone by the wayside this year.

Small side targets are to do:
    - sit ups every night
    - a weekly yoga class
    - stretch after every run and cycle and foam roll regularly *shudder*
    - go to bed at 10 every night. Things have slipped back to 11 lately :o

Whaddawesay? Onwards!

With a few notable exceptions, 2016 has been a tough enough year for the over 40s. I blame global warming myself. Maybe that's why indoor seems to be a bit of a growing thing around here? :pac:

Siempre avante. ;)

With a few notable exceptions, 2016 has been a tough enough year for the over 40s. I blame global warming myself. Maybe that's why indoor seems to be a bit of a growing thing around here? :pac:

Siempre avante. ;)

I'll take onwards and forwards over 'backwards and backwards' any day! I've been kicking myself up the arse a lot lately (maybe that's why my glute is so sore. Hmmm....) to shake off any self pity now that there are no 'targets' for the rest of the year. I got 3 out of my 4 targets for the year ffs and a huge whack off my mile PB. Might still be time to grab a 5k PB too thinking about it.....

Well yes, you were one of the notable exceptions. :)

Well yes, you were one of the notable exceptions. :)

Haha thanks, you wouldn't think so the way I've been going on :o

week beg Mon 5 Sept 2016

The next few weeks are going to be a lot of 'not running stuff' and a little running in an attempt to rebuild. I am so fed up with this hip and bum thing, I am not going to do any kind of intensive running until it has all gone away and my structure from head to toe is strengthened and rebalanced, however long that takes.

R = running
    B = bike. I'll be logging this in minutes. A round trip is 20-25 mins each way.
    S = support stuff i.e., thai massage, physio or coachy's deep tissue leg massage. I will be pencilling in a physio visit and thai massage on a regular basis and deep tissue leg massage every two or three weeks.
    W = weights. This will be twice per week in the building phase and once per week after that. Before that, it will be:
    R = rehab routine
    P = pilates, once per week in class
    Y = yoga, once or twice a week, short sessions at home
    AOB = all the rest: 'stuff', limbering, dynamic routine, maintenance, sit ups etc

Mon
    Rest

Tue
    R: No running

B: heavy cycle day (2x round trips, 80+ mins on bike' half of this with passenger/s*)

S: These round trips sandwiched a visit to a Thai massage. Ying (sp?) really got into my hip, lower back and hamstring. She commented that I was tight from my left shoulder all the way down to the sole of my foot :eek: and suggested that it was scar tissue she could feel in my butt and quad and proceeded to it break down. Big ouchies. She also ordered me to stretch more thoroughly and to foam roll. More of which later....
    Whatever she did, really seems to have made a noticeable difference. I booked her again for two weeks but might see if she can fit me in again sooner as well as a physio visit to discuss rehab and strength programmes....
    #runningisSOnotfree

*Generally, on a 2xround trip day, half the minutes are with one child (the younger/lighter one and up to a quarter with the two kids = weights session, especially on hills. The rest is usually return trips, solo.

Wed
    R: 40 mins easy on road, tarmac and grass. Ok. Some of it seemed to drag. Can't remember much else.

B: Single round trip cycling but more cycling later in the day to Kilruddery with two passengers. This is a reasonably flat journey and not too far but legs felt quite tired on the return journey.

Thur
    B: single round trip with pilates in between

R: 1 mile jog to and 1 mile jog back from.....

P: Pilates Oh Em Gee. Little did I realise that this fairly innocuous session was going to leave me practically crippled for the best part of two days!!!!!
    I know I said I was going to do yoga but this was the best available slot for me in the course of the week. I managed to get into the 'beginners/improvers' class with the lovely Hope right at the beginning of term. This meant that the class would be going back to basics for a couple of weeks to concentrate on technique. Perfect for moi, complete beginner.
    I started v inauspiciously, wobbling noticeably on the calf raises....and when we were asked to close our eyes.....oh haha :o
    Our small class of four trembled gratifyingly on the thigh thingies (I'm sure my Pilates vocab will improve) but overall, by end of class I had zero suspicion of what was to come in the next 24 hours as I scampered up the road to pick up sprog #2 from naíonra.

B: I had a little hint that evening as I cycled (+2) the 40 min round trip to the local park for our club 5k handicap ch'ship (ably won by PeterD61 ;) ) when my quads felt a little...lifeless...

Fri
    Next morning, I knew that nothing was working: legs dead and rather rotten DOMS setting in with each passing minute. I informed sprog #1 we were walking to school and #2 that he was having an early mitching experience as I was no way up to cycling anywhere. Luckily Dublin Bus drivers backed me up on this and conveniently went on strike :cool: Had planned a shake out of 2-3 miles that evening but wimped out :o

Sat
    DOMS still present. Had to bend on our main street to pick up something and anyone watching would surely have pitied the poor old crone and rushed to my aid. However it seems they were all too busy laughing cos no one rushed to said aid....
    R: Still, managed a relatively pain free 4 miles or so on road, first thing in the morning, fuelled by coffee.

B: short trip, no kids

Sun
    What a difference a day makes.
    R: Just under 7 miles @8mm pace or thereabouts. Gorgeous morning, blue sky, breeze in my back and fairly cruising on most of it, feeling very comfortable with good form etc. No pain in hip or bum, just slight tightness. Managed a long hill at the end very capably (this has been where hip and hamstring usually protests and collapses lately) so feeling happy about this. I'm optimistic about fitness loss, i.e., it's not too much.

AOB:
    Have been doing 'stuff' most evenings and mornings.
    In addition, before every run, have been very strict about doing an extended limbering/dynamic warm up sequence from head to toe - including lunges and squats - and have been doing sit ups and prone leg raises every night. I feel the former may have helped to fire glutes more effectively and the sit ups have definitely fired up my core as my torso feels more supported already. I used to do loads of sit ups and leg raises way back so maybe I have triggered the memory?

Weekly breakdown
    3 days/15 miles running incl
    2 v easy genl aerobic run and
    1 'long run' of 55 mins
    Lots of cycling
    1 pilates class

- heel raises and knee bends maintained
    - sit ups and leg raises: tick
    - pre run limber routine: tick
    - post run stretching: good, could do better
    - foam rolling: minimum :o Hope encouraged me to do it (conspiracy!!) and when I looked aghast and plaintively squeaked that 'I didn't know HOW to do it properly', she matter of factly told me she would integrate a lesson into week 3. No excuse so....

- maintenance routine: to start again
    - rehab routine: to be confirmed on physio visit this week prior to starting weights routine

I will try log all this a couple of times a week instead of just once as that's a lot of non-running ****e to wade through. It is, however, useful to me - or might be - so it's getting logged for now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Can you please ensure you add the key to each update so I know what is going on :D. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

aquinn wrote: »
    Can you please ensure you add the key to each update so I know what is going on :D. Thanks.

I think BeepBeep67 should draw up a colour-coded spreadsheet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Oh my god had to keep scrolling up to see what you were doing !!!!

aquinn wrote: »
    RayCun wrote: »
    I think BeepBeep67 should draw up a colour-coded spreadsheet :D
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Oh my god had to keep scrolling up to see what you were doing !!!!

So the consensus is Beep Beep should be director, graphic designer and producer of logs? Brilliant idea :)

In the meantime, I will tabulate things and aim for 'clarity and clearity' to quote our adored Tee-cup :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

This is really fascinating stuff. Just goes to show there's so much more to running than simply lacing up the shoes and heading out. Well done for being persistent and determined to do this the right way!

This is really fascinating stuff. Just goes to show there's so much more to running than simply lacing up the shoes and heading out. Well done for being persistent and determined to do this the right way!

Needs must C, needs must! With coachy, we are figuring out what works for me. I want to do it properly because for me, running is more important than competing and I want to be running still in 30 years time :) (ok, running well too....:D )

Running log week beg 12 Sept 2016

Mon
    Rest....?

Tue
    Bike: single/one way trip of ca26 mins followed by short rest (5 mins), limbers etc and

Run: 42 mins/about 5 miles easy on road. Legs are always a bit 'woolly' straight after a cycle but this soon shakes out. Think this was fairly ok, no major twinges, pace felt nice and comfortable. Hill at end of run not as smooth as sunday's run but still ok overall.

Bike: single/one way trip again of ca26 mins on 2xschool runs.

Stuff and no sit ups in evening :o

Wed
    Ouch ouch ouch hard day.

Bike: nearly two hours in total of cycling and boy did I know all about it. By evening, I felt like I had run a hard half marathon with weights on my quads. It was a double round trip today and days like this are going to have to be absolutely unavoidable when full training resumes.

Running: none, obvs....

Stuff and extra sit ups in evening cos of doss last night

Thur
    Bike: single trip (26 mins) followed by short break (5-10 mins) and limbers etc then

Run: 30-35 mins v easy incl dynamic stretches, drills and 4x60m sprints towards end then....

Pilates class: stepped up a notch slightly this week with lots of curls and core work. Ouchers. Strict warning to attend next week for foam rolling sesh. This woman has my number :D

Bike: single trip (26 mins) on school run

Sounds like a busy morning....and it was. I wanted to see if doing the drills set was compatible with Pilates and I think it will be (BG any thoughts on this?) but will definitely be leaving the bike at home once Dublin Bus have their just demands met.

Stuff and no sit ups.

Fri
    Legs actually a lot better than this day last week and only mild DOMS in upper abdomen. Hip and bum are definitely calming down in spite of some heavy cycling (literally :eek:). Once I am completely pain free, we will introduce more running intensity and see how everything reacts.

Easy cycling, no running. Stretching and sit ups done, vodka to hand and film to watch.

Happy Friday :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Needs must C, needs must! With coachy, we are figuring out what works for me. I want to do it properly because for me, running is more important than competing and I want to be running still in 30 years time :) (ok, running well too....:D )

That's very interesting A. Don't take this the wrong way but I don't believe you:D
    IMO competing brings out the best in you. It suits ya, you seem to really enjoy it. I watched you racing XC last January and you were in your element. You seemed to be on such a high after the race!
    I could be as far out as my first sh1te but I get the feeling if you aren't competing you would find it hard to get motivated to run just for the sake of running.

That's very interesting A. Don't take this the wrong way but I don't believe you:D
    IMO competing brings out the best in you. It suits ya, you seem to really enjoy it. I watched you racing XC last January and you were in your element. You seemed to be on such a high after the race!
    I could be as far out as my first sh1te but I get the feeling if you aren't competing you would find it hard to get motivated to run just for the sake of running.

Ah haha...rumbled...but not quite ;)

There are times when I find the discipline of training to race for a specific distance quite confining. For example, I can't just head off around Djouce for a couple of hours at the weekend or do my local challenging but really scenic Quarry run mid week...because the 'schedule says no'.

There's also the discipline of keeping to the right pace and effort when sandwiching sessions. You can't let your legs go with the bounce because you have to save yourself for the session....You might have seen a bit of the joy there a few weeks back when I wasn't following a 'session schedule' and was bouncing down the road on most runs for about a week.

I can see a real advantage to what some elites do; I think Paula Radcliffe used to take a month off at the end of each season and just run. That's something that really appeals to me and am going to see if I can factor that in a couple of times a year.

Apart from that, you are quite right... however you will see that I also qualified the 'running in 30 years time' bit with a sneaky 'running well' at the end too.... ;)

How are you, things any better?

And ps thanks for the throw back to my post-race delirium :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ah haha...rumbled...but not quite ;)

There are times when I find the discipline of training to race for a specific distance quite confining. For example, I can't just head off around Djouce for a couple of hours at the weekend or do my local challenging but really scenic Quarry run mid week...because the 'schedule says no'.

There's also the discipline of keeping to the right pace and effort when sandwiching sessions. You can't let your legs go with the bounce because you have to save yourself for the session....You might have seen a bit of the joy there a few weeks back when I wasn't following a 'session schedule' and was bouncing down the road on most runs for about a week.

I can see a real advantage to what some elites do; I think Paula Radcliffe used to take a month off at the end of each season and just run. That's something that really appeals to me and am going to see if I can factor that in a couple of times a year.

Apart from that, you are quite right... however you will see that I also qualified the 'running in 30 years time' bit with a sneaky 'running well' at the end too.... ;)

How are you, things any better?

And ps thanks for the throw back to my post-race delirium :D:D
    Good reply!
    I'm grand. Things are looking up. I can put on my own socks and just about walk pain free:)

Advertisement