Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done, nothing beats the feeling when you're coming back strong from the despair of injury/not running

Keep it going aul wan :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done, nothing beats the feeling when you're coming back strong from the despair of injury/not running

Keep it going aul wan :)

TbL
    <3
    And with that, I am delighted and disgusted to be officially classed in this club :D

WEEK 2 base building

MON
    Rest

TUE
    7ish miles incl 8x100 strides
    at about 40 mins. Can't remember much about this. Pretty sure this was a good week overall

WED
    50 mins rec

THUR
    No running:
    cycling and Pilates. This is getting easier. Well, not exactly, just I seem to be managing the moves better. Am definitely feeling a difference all over.

FRI
    8-9? Miles incl 3x1 mile tempo, 1 min rec

Felt great on these. No idea what pace they were at but it is lovely - really lovely - (cue eye roll) just listening to the body and its feedback. Gorgeous morning too for this. Whatever about pace on these, I think I am getting the effort bang on.

SAT
    Biomechanical assessment in Carlow

Yay, lots wrong. I say yay because that means lots to put right. And the even better news is that it's all quite fixable.

I am starting to get some points of consensus from the various physios and therapists I have seen recently. Two agree that my mobility is very good and most suggest that my glutes are weak. Two agree that my pelvis is tilted forward on the right side, affecting the hip/glute area on the left and tightening the hip flexor on the right, resulting in knee discomfort on the right.

Paul, the exercise therapist and biomechanical assessor in the Réalta clinic has given me a follow on programme from my previous visit with Eddie last month:

TO DO EACH DAY
    Resistance band:

Clams to fatigue (base starting point was 30. Am up to 30+. He wants 45-50 by early December :eek:
    Fire hydrants to fatigue. As above
    Side steps above knee 60 secs, work up to 90 secs
    Side steps band on ankle as above

Stretching:
    Piriformis for 45 secs each leg
    Pigeon pose with one arm hooked under to deepen each stretch. Hold for 45 secs
    Hip flexor stretch with rear foot hooked up on step and arm raised in air
    Standing forward A shape hamstring stretch

Foot raises, not to lower to ground keeping ankles straight and not bowing outx 20

He also wants me to run tall and extend my stride slightly. This - duh - means running faster so after a bit of discussion with coachy, we have decided to compromise on this and only extend for now on certain runs, i.e., not the lsr.
    The other important thing is to keep an eye on cadence. I will do a spot check now and then and so far so good; 180 per 60 seconds on a warm down jog. Will also spot check when lengthening stride at various efforts. If the cadence lowers to much at an easy effort, will keep cadence over stride length if that makes sense?

I tried out the longer stride length on a recovery run and yes, glided along at an easier effort but went waaaaaay tooo fast for a recovery run which is one of the reasons I.....

SUN
    12ish lsr

.....blew up pretty spectacularly at exactly 89 mins into a 100min run. Ouchers. A few reasons for this: early start (7:30), low fuel, pace too fast at certain points and above recovery run too fast following the tempo miles the previous day.

This had a knock on effect of making the hip fatigued and twingy for the rest of the day. So shoulda rested.......

WEEKLY BREAKDOWN:
    35-37 miles incl
    5 days running
    ? Unlogged cycling
    1 run incl strides
    1 tempo session
    1 lsr
    1 crash and burn
    1 pilates class
    1 bio mechanical assessment
    Lots of clams and butt work

WEEK 3 Base building

MON
    .......but didn't
    A LOT of cycling :o Had to take the bike in to have its newbie check and the only way to get there is, well, by cycling. So plonked the birthday boy in the bike for a 26 mile round trip with the promise of a juice and cake at the half way mark. Four year olds are easily bribed satisfied :)

TUE no cycling
    definitely not recovered so swapped Tuesday's 8miles with strides for a recovery/45 mins

Clams etc done

WED no cycling
    7 miles with 10x100m strides
    . Better. Did these as back and forth 100 accels rather than a continuous run but kept the jog going on each. For some reason I seem to find it easier to keep good form this way.
    Rub down from coachy. All good til he got to the quads. Jaypers ouch....and then the elbow in my hip.....let's not talk about this any more or I won't go back :eek: And here I was feeling all smug after a Thai massage a couple of weeks ago when Boh (?) told me I was getting the hang of this deep tissue torture.....To be fair, one of the therapists at Saturday's clinic warned this would happen with the step up in the rehab routine. Wrecked after.
    Clams etc maybe done.

THUR
    Rest
    with cycling and Pilates. Love this class.
    Clams etc done

FRI
    8.5 incl 2 mile tempo
    . Good.
    Thai massage (not ideal so close to coachy's rub down but I had double booked). Again, from the hip to knee still v v tight. No compliments this week about how much looser I was getting.....Wrecked that night.
    Clams etc done, no cycling. Am going to try keep my legs fresh for session days; running only.

SAT
    Rest
    , unscheduled but did my exercises

SUN
    13.5 lsr

7:45am start. Met with two club mates for lsr, 50ish mins on road, rest on grass in local park. This was great. Pace constant and comfortable this week, company great as usual and time flew. Gorgeous fresh morning although probably a bit ambitious wearing just shorts and t. Felt grand while running but took ages to warm up after, despite having a shower straight away.
    I've been trying to take a leaf out of Myles Splitz' book and running very slow and comfortably on easy and recovery days. 2:43 for 26.2 says it did him no harm whatsoever!

WEEKLY BREAKDOWN:
    34 miles incl
    4 days running
    1 mega cycling day
    1 run with strides
    1 successful tempo
    1 lsr
    2 torture sessions
    1 love affair with clams. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Only catching up with this now. Nice to meet another top class mentor :) Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Jasus - two deep tissue in one week, you are a brave brave woman! Good to see you seem to be enjoying (mostly) the base building!

Just wondering how do you measure your cadence? I know my garmin gives a figure for it but as garmin lives on my wrist and its my legs do the running I always figured its a stat to be taken with a pinch of salt, or is it generally sufficiently close enough to use?

thanks L

• Advertisement

Only catching up with this now. Nice to meet another top class mentor :) Keep up the good work!
    Was good to meet you too! Hope the recovery is going well.
    spaceylou wrote: »
    Jasus - two deep tissue in one week, you are a brave brave woman! Good to see you seem to be enjoying (mostly) the base building!

Just wondering how do you measure your cadence? I know my garmin gives a figure for it but as garmin lives on my wrist and its my legs do the running I always figured its a stat to be taken with a pinch of salt, or is it generally sufficiently close enough to use?

thanks L
    Hi L. Yeah, it was far from ideal so have juggled things so they are more spaced in future, phew :) Not to mention my poor wallet :D

I counted my cadence the old fashioned way, surprise surprise :rolleyes: :D
    I set the stopwatch and counted my left leg footfall for 60 seconds = 90 and doubled that to calculate for both legs. I wouldn't have a clue how a garmin calculates (surprise surprise :D ) but I would think - hope! - there is a stopwatch function on the garmin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Was good to meet you too! Hope the recovery is going well.

Hi L. Yeah, it was far from ideal so have juggled things so they are more spaced in future, phew :) Not to mention my poor wallet :D

I counted my cadence the old fashioned way, surprise surprise :rolleyes: :D
    I set the stopwatch and counted my left leg footfall for 60 seconds = 90 and doubled that to calculate for both legs. I wouldn't have a clue how a garmin calculates (surprise surprise :D ) but I would think - hope! - there is a stopwatch function on the garmin?

Ahh so you measure it specifically, I thought you knew at the end of your run that cadence was generally x.... This makes more sense, thanks

week beg Mon 21 Nov

STEP BACK WEEK
    MON
    Rest

Resistance band and stretching done

TUE
    6 miles with 6x100m strides.
    Could feel glutes engaging on these strides and a modicum of dormant power whispering that it is on its way back. Encouraging

WED
    5 miles easy

- side lunges with resistance band only

THUR
    Rest,
    running
    Cycling plus Pilates class

- Resistance band routine, stretching done in Pilates

FRI
    Unscheduled rest
    , just couldn't get out.
    - Made sure to pay extra attention to technique on resistance band routine. Ouchy.

SAT
    Parkrun 5k in 20:11;
    1st female and 9th o/a
    The aim of this was to establish a bench mark for the rest of this training block, i.e., to return to paced and timed tempos etc. Bleh.

Joe, a clubmate, very kindly paced me around the run. We were bang on 4 mins for the first 1k loop (maybe ever so slightly under) and when he asked me how it felt, I was able to say 'comfortable' totally truthfully. On the next 2k loop, (12:05 at 3k) when he asked, I was only able to say/blurt 'ok' as the pinching was increasing and by the next 2k loop, it was real dig in time.
    Overall, I am very pleased with the distribution of effort on this and considering it was the first race effort since August, I was able to employ all the usual tricks we use to get ourselves around these things: relaxing, mantra, digging, relaxing, not letting the elastic of next competitor slip, reeling them in and emptying the tank at the end. I was able to kick and finish strong at the end, something I haven't been able to do since July.

Yay. On reflection, this was an excellent early season bench mark and leaves me quite optimistic for 2017. This time a year ago, I was setting similar benchmarks on the same course in 20:04 and 20:06 but these were set 4 months into base building and conditioning with some racing whereas this is four weeks into base building.

PM
    - resistance band routine completed plus
    - Curls: spinal, pelvic to glute bridge and stomach
    - Rehab stretching
    - Other stuff

SUN
    10 miles
    (ish) at easy pace and effort, on grass.

I had the choice of doing the usual: early lsr and spending the rest of Sunday cleaning up the house, shopping, club admin and prepping for the rest of the week while the kids spend the day with their dad. The usual drudgy *yawn*. Instead, I decided to take the day 'off' and watch the National cross country championships in Abbotstown. My friend's daughter had qualified for one of the juvenile races and when I heard that Ciara Mageean was running, that clinched it. The women's line up was intriguing - and strong. In the absence of Fionnuala McCormack and Lizzie Lee, it was wide open but my money was on Ciara.

My task, while the races were going, was to run 10 miles. As running around the measured 2k race loop was out of the question, I decided to do 1h20-25 mins. I found a nice loop on the warm up track, part of which ran parallel to the race course. So after watching my young friend's race, I was able to keep half an eye on proceedings. My main aim was to watch the senior race but as the races ticked off, I realised I would make it back to watch the u/18 and junior women's race.

We were on the same loop for warm up and it began to register with me as I observed some in seemingly light-hearted chat, some doing their tailored dynamic stretches and being pep-talked by their coaches, some absorbed in their pre-race 'zone' that I was feeling their adrenaline. A big smile grew on my face as I began to think that 26 years ago (eek), I fcuking won this thing. As I haven't been to a national champs xc in nearly 26 years, it was only today that I was able to appreciate it in context and even perhaps only today appreciate fully my achievement. I allowed that smile to grow a little more and hugged it to myself for the remaining 20 mins of my run. (Not even the thought that I was then on the brink of a miserable few years of self-hate and destruction was enough to remove it.) In some weird synchronicity, the u/18 race was won today by a Sli Cualann clubmate :) :cool:

The senior women's race did not disappoint. Shona Heaslip (still u/23) ran away - literally - with it on the last lap with Ciara Mageean pipped on the line for second to an excellent run from Kerry O'Flaherty. There were three Olympians in this - four if you count Maria McCambridge who should be in that club - and while a disappointingly small field, the depth in the top 20 was impressive.
    The course mostly lends itself to support with crossover points and a quick access to the finish line. There are some dips coming out of the woodlands with about 700m from the finish and watching the pack silently crest the horizon from 100m away is simply magical.

I was introduced to a few Donore women afterwards and it was a pleasure to chat with them. B O'C, a previous mini marathon winner, had a super return to race form, finishing in the top 20 and FC showed the true team spirit that exists in clubs like this by turning out to slog away on a gruelling 8k because her team needed her.

I also got to shake hands with the living legend that is Ann Woodlock: inveterate veteran/masters runner who in her eighth decade is travelling the world to different world championships in pursuit - and achievement of - world and European titles. She wants a partner to travel to South Korea for the Masters World Indoors next March. I passed her your number, TAbL, hope you don't mind.....

And then, the icing on the cake was having a wee chat on my departure with none other than Ciara Mageean. She was having a chat with a friend of coachy's and my dad's so I congratulated her on a fab run today and a fab year. I told her that I hadn't been to a national xc ch'ships in 26 years but when I heard she was running, I had to come. I held out my hand to shake, to which she replied 'naw I'm gonnae give ye a hug for that'. Consider me hugged, what a gorgeous person.

WEEKLY BREAKDOWN 28 or so miles
    4 days running incl
    1 run with strides
    1 easy run
    1 pilates session
    1 zillion clams n stuff. Well it feels like it....
    1 parkrun
    10 miles while watching
    1 National Cross Country Championships watched and #makemyweek:
    1 hug from Ciara Mageean ❤️❤️❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Brilliant update, DG! Delighted base building going so well and dem glutes be firing!

Surprise win in the women's seniors all right, fair play to her. I saw a short clip on FB and SH looked very comfortable with a lap to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done on the parkrun win, DG! :) That's good going. I was planning to run it too (at respectable distance obviously) but real life dictated otherwise. Nice week for you! We should clock up some easy miles some weekend if you like.

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Brilliant update, DG! Delighted base building going so well and dem glutes be firing!

Surprise win in the women's seniors all right, fair play to her. I saw a short clip on FB and SH looked very comfortable with a lap to go.

Yeah, was talking to BC (16th) afterwards and she said the pace was phenomenal. Nobody was looking comfortable except Shona! I was about 150m from the finish and saw a smile breaking out as she realised it was hers....gorgeous!
    nop98 wrote: »
    Well done on the parkrun win, DG! :) That's good going. I was planning to run it too (at respectable distance obviously) but real life dictated otherwise. Nice week for you! We should clock up some easy miles some weekend if you like.

Thanks N. Yeah will probably doing my lsr later rather than earlier next Sunday if you're about? It will be easy, I warn you, I plan to be in a fragile state :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Found your log for you A, you know ya wanna. Best luck Sunday.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Found your log for you A, you know ya wanna. Best luck Sunday.

Thanks G, insert a few extra hours in the day and I'll think about it :D Now go brush that log-dust off yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Thanks G, insert a few extra hours in the day and I'll think about it :D Now go brush that log-dust off yourself!

Wednesday is the longest day of the year so no excuses now:p. I want an update:)

El Caballo wrote: »
    Wednesday is the longest day of the year so no excuses now:p. I want an update:)

Talk to you Wednesday so :P :P

Talk to you Wednesday so :P :P

Hi El C. Reporting for duty sah!

Nothing much to report I'm afraid. Our Wednesday update was neither cheeky, nor arbitrary; I had entered for a graded 3000m at Tallaght but child care *issues* scuppered that.

Quite frustrating really and confidence is at a low low with the 'main thing' - the European Masters - in 5 weeks time (1500 and 800). A rest and base building/strengthening block after the road relays extended a tad too far into June, leaving me now with five weeks to sharpen up and race myself fit. On the plus side, niggles are practically absent, probably cos I am doing fcuk all to aggravate them!

I had some rather shocking news re a family member in May which threw me mentally all over the place. This may have also transferred itself to me physically and is manifesting in lethargy, swollen glands and too many 'down days' in training (ultrasound in October, *sigh*).
    School holidays are looming and as a single parent, this means 'get out and run' cards diminish significantly. On the plus side, I get to run and run frequently, unlike the family member who will probably never get to their 'happy place' ever again....

So there ya have it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I hear congratulations are in order? In which case, congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Murph_D wrote: »

Looks like a fairly dominant performance to, with the double still to come ;)

Super running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Super running

Well done A!!!!!! Congrats on the bling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Super running

Gold in the 800, bronze in the 1500... Congrats A and let's be having an oul' report!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Fantastic, massive congrats! and yes, a report would be awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Whoop whoop ! Delighted for ya. Can't wait to hear all the details. Leave nothing out! :D.

Murph_D wrote: »

Super running
    annapr wrote: »
    Gold in the 800, bronze in the 1500... Congrats A and let's be having an oul' report!!!!
    Fantastic, massive congrats! and yes, a report would be awesome :)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Whoop whoop ! Delighted for ya. Can't wait to hear all the details. Leave nothing out! :D.

Thanks all! Definitely doing a report on today. That feeling of standing up high - that podium is HIGH - with a national gold around your neck? Unbeatable. Later tho, am on the train with no beer trolley and report writing is thirsty work ;)

Thanks all! Definitely doing a report on today. That feeling of standing up high - that podium is HIGH - with a national gold around your neck? Unbeatable. Later tho, am on the train with no beer trolley and report writing is thirsty work ;)

OAP train ticket ;)

Congrats!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done on collecting all that bling! It'd be a shame for there to be no related triumphant writeup... ;)

Singer wrote: »
    Well done on collecting all that bling! It'd be a shame for there to be no related triumphant writeup... ;)

Pressure pushing down on you, pressing down on me. No (wo)man ask for.....

Sorry B, the 4yo is obsessed with that at the mo. I have every intention of writing a report but it's been a busy couple of days incl Mon; Bill sick, Tue R sick and today...my turn :( I also have a graded 800 tonight so you might get 3 for the price of one tonight/tomorrow/whenever.

In the meantime:

800: whoosh, gosh, over?
    1500: hmm maybe, umm legs 'move'. No? Ok just hang in....

And thank you. looking forward to seeing how you do this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the wins, delighted for you A. If holidays hadn't clashed I'd have been trailing way behind in your dust!!!

OAP train ticket ;)

Congrats!

TbL
    You mean you get free beer as well as free travel??!!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the wins, delighted for you A. If holidays hadn't clashed I'd have been trailing way behind in your dust!!!
    Thank you! Ah I was keeping my eye out for you! Can't believe you chose holidays over Tullamore. Tsk :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great stuff, 2:30 is some going for 800.

Looking forward to an epic report :)

Must be something in the waters lately, with so many former DCM Novices mentors (see also Ososlo, Younganne, nop98) raising the bar to new heights :D

• Advertisement

Great stuff, 2:30 is some going for 800.

Looking forward to an epic report :)

Must be something in the waters lately, with so many former DCM Novices mentors (see also Ososlo, Younganne, nop98) raising the bar to new heights :D

"Great stuff, 2:30 is some going for 800."

To be clear that was 2 and a half hours, 150 mins.

She won the T65 Zimmerframe category :)

Well done DG I wouldn't run one lap in 75 seconds

TbL

Advertisement