Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wow , what a time! Good woman yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Raheny 5 mile Debut (also 5 mile debut :) )....33:28 happy out:D

Well done lady, super result... I'm raising a glass in your honour :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great result. Why am I not more surprised? :) Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

WOW! Well done DG, seriously impressive time....just WOW!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Fantastic time. Well done :D
    Thanks CM, I over-cooked the first mile which made the rest of it tough but you live and learn :D
    Ososlo wrote: »
    :eek: Fanbloodytastic!!!! You legend!!! And sick on top of that:eek:
    Thanks Os, happy out. Cold is descending with a vengeance today, I stopped trying to mentally ward it off. Nothing serious tho, don't think it affected things too much yesterday :)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Whoop whoop. Fantastic stuff. What would you be like in the full of your health ?!
    Thanks BG, as I said to Os, don't think it made a huge difference yesterday. Got my A goal so no complaining from me :D
    great result :)
    Thank you! :)

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done DG -cracking time especially considering you weren't feeling the best. Big Congrats.
    Thanks TJ, it was in the A goal target so happy with it :)
    Runchick wrote: »
    Bloody brilliant DG, delighted for you :)
    Thanks RC, and also for your advice!
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    Wow , what a time! Good woman yourself!
    Thanks SfM, very pleased :)
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    Well done lady, super result... I'm raising a glass in your honour :D
    Haha well done and thank you!! :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Great result. Why am I not more surprised? :) Well done.
    Hey, thanks Murph. Now tell me, what do I have to do to surprise you then? Something tells me it will hurt me more than you!
    Mimojo wrote: »
    WOW! Well done DG, seriously impressive time....just WOW!!!! :D
    Thanks Mimojo, appreciate it :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well deserved - more to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Super running again yesterday.
    Well done.
    Nice to catch up with you afterwards too.
    Might see you again in Enniscorthy.

p.s. Stop setting yourself such easy targets......:pac:

Well deserved - more to come!
    Thanks, hope so :D
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Super running again yesterday.
    Well done.
    Nice to catch up with you afterwards too.
    Might see you again in Enniscorthy.

p.s. Stop setting yourself such easy targets......:pac:
    Oof..read this (race report) and weep :D:D

Race Report Raheny 5 2015

Chip time 33:28, 10th O/40

As long as I crossed the line, this was going to be a PB. Unfortunately as race day came, I wasn't sure if I was going to cross the line. I'd had a cold threatening to crash all week. Between Himself and the two sprogs there has been almost constant colds in the house since early December and it looked as if my Magic Mammy System was running low...To cap it all, both sprogs woke several times during the night due to coughing, nightmares...the usual. It was then I noticed my scratchy throat and blocked nose and thought uh oh....

Anyway, morning came and I didn't feel great but then again I didn't feel as if it warranted opting out. It was all in my head (the cold, not hypochondria :D ). After a chat with the pa and checking my temperature (kids thought that was hilarious), I decided to give it a lash.

The goal was elastic: sub 34 and as close to 33 as I could get but I was prepared to scale back to 35 or thereabouts if the cold tried to sneak into the legs. Race conditions were perfect today, especially compared to the foul weather of late.

I warmed up in the new A6's, 16 mins or so of easy jogging (not as thoroughly as previous races because of the longer race distance and higher temperature. It nearly felt balmy :D ) followed by drills and strides. Met up with quite a few from the club warming up too, I really like running with my club :)
    The new racing babies don't have great traction on smooth and slightly damp surfaces, especially in a higher gear, i.e., striding. Nothing to seriously complain about but now I'm thinking I'm going to *have* to buy another racing pair for wetter days....*sigh*.

Thanks to Bungy Girl's excellent report I felt familiar enough with the course (thanks again BG!) Off we went...I had hooked up with a clubmate at the start about 6 or 7 rows back. The first mile was too fast (6:24) which made the rest of the race tough. I had planned to go off aggressively but top pace should have been 6:30. I'm not going to beat myself up about this, I'm still re-learning how to pace and race and this is all a big learning curve. (And what goes up, will come down :) )
    I eased back and a look at the stopwatch at the second mile marker showed 13:08 (second mile 6:44). From here, I focused on damage limitation, keeping my stride turnover efficient, running from the hip and keeping the shoulders down. Any time I felt the lactic acid begin to seep in, I reverted to 'damage limitation' mode. I missed the three and four mile markers but something must have worked because my calculations show the last three miles 20:20...this practically equals my Jingle Bells 5k time (20:33) so happy with that!
    I played the 'reel em in game' along the coast road with some success. I caught pony tail girl on the hill...pleasantly surprised here. I came down a gear on the hill but only slightly which meant I passed quite a few. Got a shout out from the club captain here which really helped. I also heard another spectator call out '27 minutes' to someone...a quick calculation in my befuddled state was reassuring at this stage. All Saints road took FOREVER but started to raise the pace in a 'do I really HAVE to' way and managed to raise a half decent sprint on the last 150.

So all in all, I am happy with this one. I can see why this race is so popular, well done Raheny Shamrocks, thank you...I'll be back! It was great to see some boardsies too, Adrian, Laura and Yaboya. I have to say P, I like the sound of your time today... maybe next year :) (Official gauntlet laid down to myself: sub 30 :eek:)

Well done also to our club, KC bagged second O/40 (no mean feat here) and it seemed like practically everyone in BR got a PB, I've said it before and I'll say it again, for a club of old fogeys mature athletes ...we rock :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great report Dubgal. I saved it for this evening so I could sit down and enjoy it properly.
    No doubt we'll be seeing you run your sub 30 target in no time. Really excited to see what kind of times you'll be running over the coming months and longer. Sky's the limit around these parts!
    Hope you're feeling lots better today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Great Result and report DG! You're on a roll.

Great report Dubgal. I saved it for this evening so I could sit down and enjoy it properly.
    No doubt we'll be seeing you run your sub 30 target in no time. Really excited to see what kind of times you'll be running over the coming months and longer. Sky's the limit around these parts!
    Hope you're feeling lots better today.
    Thanks Os :) I might be aiming too high but I liked the look of all those 29:xx figures and under :D We'll see, a year of consistent training might get me there. I'm not too bad thanks, a bit worse than yesterday but hopefully this is the worst of it. It helped (enormously) that I got to spend the afternoon in bed doing absolutely nothing except being waited on, surfing the net and eating the packet of digestives that were in the goody bag. The life eh?!
    Great Result and report DG! You're on a roll.
    Thanks NE, fingers and toes crossed it continues til summer, can't wait to try out the track :)

Saturday 24 January
    Rest

Sunday 25 January
    Raheny 5 (as report) 8 miles T

Week total 38.5:

Monday 26 January
    Rest
    (Felt like shaking the legs out in the evening for a recovery run but that might have made my afternoon in bed seem a bit fraudulent...and a bit addicted as I was coughing, sneezing and spluttering...)

Tuesday 27 January
    90 minute lsr
    I kept the pace easy, comfortable and very relaxed for this. Sunday's race didn't seem to remain in the legs - apart from a bit of stiffness in the quads and hamstrings - but then again I wasn't pushing it at all. It was a 'time on the feet run' but of course I measured it afterwards (11 miles on the noggin) so was pleasantly surprised to see that easy and recovery pace has come down to > mid 8m/m pace (11 miles in 92 mins).
    I was also pleased because while on the run I had guesstimated my pace to be 8:20-8:30 so the pace judgement is coming back :)
    (Still coughing and spluttering but it's all above the neck so far)

Core session planned for tonight once the kids are snoring. Watch this space :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Saturday 26 January
    Rest

Sunday 27 January
    Raheny 5 (as report) 8 miles T

Week total 38.5:

Monday 28 January
    Rest
    (Felt like shaking the legs out in the evening for a recovery run but that might have made my afternoon in bed seem a bit fraudulent...and a bit addicted as I was coughing, sneezing and spluttering...)

Tuesday 29 January
    90 minute lsr
    I kept the pace easy, comfortable and very relaxed for this. Sunday's race didn't seem to remain in the legs - apart from a bit of stiffness in the quads and hamstrings - but then again I wasn't pushing it at all. It was a 'time on the feet run' but of course I measured it afterwards (11 miles on the noggin) so was pleasantly surprised to see that easy and recovery pace has come down to > mid 8m/m pace (11 miles in 92 mins).
    I was also pleased because while on the run I had guesstimated my pace to be 8:20-8:30 so the pace judgement is coming back :)
    (Still coughing and spluttering but it's all above the neck so far)

Core session planned for tonight once the kids are snoring. Watch this space :D

Brilliant running in Raheny on Sunday, DG, well done!!!! and you're way ahead of the rest of us as usual... I'm only on the 28th of Jan today ;)

annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant running in Raheny on Sunday, DG, well done!!!! and you're way ahead of the rest of us as usual... I'm only on the 28th of Jan today ;)
    Haha well spotted eagle eyes :) And thank you!

All the best in Enniscorthy Mrs:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I'm backing DG in Enniscorthy, based on Yaboya's form book :)

annapr wrote: »
    I'm backing DG in Enniscorthy, based on Yaboya's form book :)
    Me too:D
    I don't think she knows she's doing it yet so let's hope the OH is free to mind the children:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

+1 to that. Any time target ? Don't know the course at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

There you go:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/442762784

Haha just caught up, looks like I'm fully 'booked' that day ;)

Annapr, we'll share the profits in the usual way?! ;)

Wednesday 28 January

Didn't do a core session last night :(
    Didn't get a double day in because sprog #1 stayed at home due to continued coughing and spluttering.

But, to make up I did two...yes two sets of TJ's triathlete core session. The 4yo had the privilege of watching half of the first set. There must be a small improvement as she wandered away bored, not entertained :) Two sets definitely get the face nice and red.

Made it out for an easy 10k this evening, some at steady pace and easy-moderate effort but didn't feel great. I had some short form hill sprints planned but couldn't find a well-lit short and steep hill so will do these on Friday's double day instead.

Two mile fit for life tempo run planned for tomorrow. I am under strict instructions to keep it at 7m/m pace and not to race it which is going to kiiiiiillllll me (especially as CC who won the masters XC will most likely be running too........). Seriously, I would find it easier to run that horrible humid marathon all over again...

On the plus side I think the head cold might be on the way out :)

Thursday 29 January

Fit4 Life 2 miler cancelled due to weather (yay or hey?, still not sure :) ), club session cancelled too so headed out for an easy run, distance to be determined by underfoot going.
    I started off on a familiar route that would give me a choice of a 10k lap or a shorter 6k route. For a while it was a bit of a slog: the usual tensing up in anticipation of a treacherous patch waiting to meet my tush. About two miles in I found a dry patch of 100m exACTLY :D so I had the brainwave of doing some strides :)
    I jogged on to the 2.5m mark, doubled back with a bit more pep in my step and did 8x100m sprint drills with walk back full recovery (ok jog on some in the interest of keeping warm). Felt really good, concentrated on high stride, lifting off and driving in tandem with the arms.
    I love these little 'add-ons'. I had been scratching my head wondering how on earth I was going to fit in two quality sessions, recovery/aerobic runs, a lsr, strides and hill/sprint drills into ONE week but since I have realised that they can be done on down days, even recovery days, life has got much easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I couldn't even drag my sorry a$$ out yesterday evening and there's you putting us all to shame! :rolleyes::D

Emer911 wrote: »
    I couldn't even drag my sorry a$$ out yesterday evening and there's you putting us all to shame! :rolleyes::D
    Hey I'm not the one who does back-to-back club and bouldering sessions...tongue.png

Oops sorry BG, just saw this. Ol McMillan has me down for just under 42 (41:55 to be precise), a time I think will be hard given the nature of the first 5k uphill...but as I wish to confound all accusations of sand bagging (you know who you are :D:D ) I will lay me down a target of 41:26. So there. Ouch why did I just do that??!!

Friday 30 January

Un scheduled rest due to continued sprog sickness and (I have to say) well-deserved end of project beers for himself. So, I was determined to do some core. Actually it was pre-determined I was going to do some core...I couldn't wait to get my teeth into TJ's recommended session. For some reason it has baited me, hook line and sinker. Friday night is (mostly) writ-in-stone wine night but I waited til the sickly wee ones were in bed, safely asleep and commenced on my core routine after minimal procrastinational faffing at 20:55pm. 50 minutes later after two (yes two!) sets of triathlete beginner core, second completed Myrtl session and some hip strengtheners recommended by Ecolii, I cracked open the bottle of Prosecco and a restrained two ok three glasses later I hit the sack just before midnight feeling very virtuous and smug :D

Did I just dedicate a whole paragraph to that?! Damn feckin right I did :pac:

Saturday 31 January

Nothing much to report, a quick 'get out while you can' 10k, steady pace at low-moderate effort. The wind however was mostly in my back. Got to love loopy runs :)

(Rough count of month mileage to date, prompted by other reports - a comparatively low 150 miles max. The chattererer on the right shoulder is squeaking 'more, more' but the zen on the other is quite chilled about it all...)

Have been a bit worried about my Achilles. Thursday's sprint drills have zoomed it into the 'mildly worried, let's observe' category into the 'uh-oh, nothing broken or torn here but....' category :(
    The Walkinstown Clinic is going to have a look Monday so

Sunday 1 February

Club lsr, missed their starting time (10am) but caught them on the way and looped in for their last 7 miles. All done at a nice relaxed and slow pace so I thought I would be grand to jog the 3 miles home after at maybe a slightly increased pace. Nope. Legs dead, breathing laboured and very congested. Looks like I have the long and lingering version of the cold. Got home and shivered my bx off. Not sure what's going on with the old immune system.

And that's the sand bagging report from here, join us again in 48 hours for more of the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Achilles eh.....nah not falling for it....

• Advertisement

Achilles eh.....nah not falling for it....
    Just because you got your gimp-limp in first...I'm actually getting a doctor's (ahem) note for it....

Advertisement