Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Mind yourself...some of us have all our savings invested in next Sunday's performance ;). Seriously though, hope you feel better soon and the achilles is just a blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Mind yourself...some of us have all our savings invested in next Sunday's performance ;). Seriously though, hope you feel better soon and the achilles is just a blip.
    Hehe, it's all part of the plan ;) But seriously, there is nothing broken or torn. It may be a question of rest or laying off any speed work for a week. Thanks BG, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Heel drops are great for achey achilles DG - I've already put a few bob on you with the bookie today so don't let me down :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hehe, it's all part of the plan ;) But seriously, there is nothing broken or torn. It may be a question of rest or laying off any speed work for a week. Thanks BG, fingers crossed.

Is this similar to your illness before Raheny??? You're getting predictable now ;)

Joking aside, hope the Achilles is ok.

Monday 2 FebruaryReport from the Walkinstown SIC :)

Ok, so physio warned me that such was the extent of my injured body that participation in this Sunday's handicapped smack down would result in the termination of a brief but gutsy peri-mid life crisis running career. He had never in all his long and eminent career seen an Achilles' tendon hanging on to its muscular thingamajig by such a thin collagen-thingy (the jargon!), he simply had to use this rare example as a case study but I digress.... However he accepted that I would bravely limp around anyway. He also predicted that my fitness and pain threshold levels would only allow me to finish in about 57 minutes and 5 minutes was a cruel and vindictive handicap for such a poorly old crone gave me the go ahead...

Verdict: Achilles tenderness caused by calf stiffness (ouch ouch ouch OUCH) and very likely related to the previous hip-knotting. So happy happy days. More stretching, heel raises/drops to add to the repertoire, I'll be a bendy stretchy elastic band by the time this gig is run :D

Said physio also refused to accept huge briberies in exchange for an Enniscorthy sick note so off I go sniffling and spluttering to my GP. She'll play ball, especially if I offer her some chocolate biscuit cake with extra maltesers...

AOB

The Dumping of James Dunne

Dear JD,

I am sorry, things are just not working out between us...
    It's not me, it's you. At first, things were so promising. We faced a challenging month (well 30 days) that would result in our mutual benefit, a lifetime partnership. We even seemed to have chemistry. But that fizzled out after three days. I took you back from time to time in moments of self-doubt with renewed determination and misplaced optimism...This time we would do it. Together. Forever maybe....

Nah.You just don't do it for me.

And yes, there is somebody else...Dark Side does it for me, rocks me to my core with two sets twice, sometimes thrice weekly :D:p

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/Article.html?articleId=486

So JD, bye bye. You'll make a wonderful work out for someone else...just not me :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Beginner Triathlete? Is that even allowed in the A/R forum?

If CM can swim, I can tri :D

It's not me, it's you.

Lol, maybe he's just not that into you?
    I was actually going to have a look at the JD routine tonight but maybe I should just skip directly to the dark side ?

Great news re achilles. The bookies might be upset though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ah here, DG, shouldn't you have kept the rest of the field guessing until at least Saturday morning... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Dear JD,

I am sorry, things are just not working out between us...
    It's not me, it's you. At first, things were so promising. We faced a challenging month (well 30 days) that would result in our mutual benefit, a lifetime partnership. We even seemed to have chemistry. But that fizzled out after three days. I took you back from time to time in moments of self-doubt with renewed determination and misplaced optimism...This time we would do it. Together. Forever maybe....

Nah.You just don't do it for me.

So one of us has escaped .....

going to pretend I didn't see this, I can feel a germ of rebellion ....!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Ah here, DG, shouldn't you have kept the rest of the field guessing until at least Saturday morning... ;)
    Ah Lanista, don't worry. I still have the cold card to play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Price for Sunday drifting on the exchanges.
    This race is getting more interest than the Betfair Hurdle at the weekend :)

So one of us has escaped .....

going to pretend I didn't see this, I can feel a germ of rebellion ....!
    Ah no, don't you start rejecting him too! I think it's really down to enjoyment. Life's too short to dedicate 15 minutes (!) per day to something that doesn't grab you....

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Lol, maybe he's just not that into you?
    I was actually going to have a look at the JD routine tonight but maybe I should just skip directly to the dark side ?

Great news re achilles. The bookies might be upset though ;)
    Sh%te hope I haven't started a wholesale desertion :eek!: Nothing to say you can't two-time. I'm 'doing' Myrtl too :D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Price for Sunday drifting on the exchanges.
    This race is getting more interest than the Betfair Hurdle at the weekend :)
    A lot can happen twixt now n then.....

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Heel drops are great for achey achilles DG - I've already put a few bob on you with the bookie today so don't let me down :D.
    Pressure much?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ah no, don't you start rejecting him too! I think it's really down to enjoyment.

Enjoyment????
    Life's too short to dedicate 15 minutes (!)

15mins???
    per day to something that doesn't grab you....

per day (in my case) ??

Anyway still striving to get somehow reliable with it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Ok, so physio gave me the go ahead...

I love your interpretation of what the physio told you, seems like you really look it on board too! Really hope Achilles gets better really soon, and as you said you are guna be stretch armstrong by the time you are finished with all your bending, stretching and flexing!

And poor old James Dunne, I too just couldnt commit to him, started on Day 1 about 10 times, but alas didnt go much further than that after..

Mimojo wrote: »
    I love your interpretation of what the physio told you, seems like you really look it on board too! Really hope Achilles gets better really soon, and as you said you are guna be stretch armstrong by the time you are finished with all your bending, stretching and flexing!

And poor old James Dunne, I too just couldnt commit to him, started on Day 1 about 10 times, but alas didnt go much further than that after..
    Yup, can't help feeling he should START with a bang.... Glad I'm not the first deserter :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

If CM can swim, I can tri :D

Totally!!!! You go girl :D

• Advertisement

Totally!!!! You go girl :D
    Definitely more 'try' than 'tri' but I am happy to give the Dark Side core a try :) Gotta start somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

What the hell is going on around here.... Traitors :D:D

Stay in the light :)

martyboy48 wrote: »
    What the hell is going on around here.... Traitors :D:D

Stay in the light :)
    Hehe only joshing :D...maybe... ;)

Tuesday 3 February

Not sure if I should be posting this in light of the shenanigans going on in certain corners of boards this week, but I could really do with some feedback and advice. I mentioned a few posts back that I am struggling with the concept of 'doing a session too hard'. Less so now, but I seem to be over-cooking my sessions re pace, especially for this time of year. In my mind, you should go all-out in a quality session but apparently not....

So the instructions today were to do 2x1k; 2x800m; 2x600m and 2x400m
    The ks were to be done at 4:20 approx and the rest progressively faster with an unspecified recovery time, just to "recover well".

3 mile jog to park plus 1k of drills and strides.

The first k was 4:01 or so (I had a technology issue :D , didn't press the proper stop button so the first three reps are from glancing at the phone) which is just outside 5k pace instead of being just inside what I could run for 10 mile pace...big difference :o (I eased back on the second one, I swear. It was probably a few seconds slower.)

The 800s were both around 3:05 (I got a time on the second, 3:05:8) with three minutes recovery. Starting to feel it but nothing too serious.

I had to move the 600s to another field cos the loop I was going to use for these was full of frickin feckin fcooking small dog walkers who were not in control of their Fidos. I was brought to a near standstill on the second 8 by a two inch high mutt LOOKING at me, then nonchalantly strolling in front of me...do I look like a low-low hurdler??!! So the distance was a guesstimate, when I got home and measured it, it was about 30m short.
    These were done in 2:02 and 2:01

After the 3 min rec on the second, I took an extra two minutes before starting the 400s. I felt like such a dosser taking these multi-minute recoveries but as the session wore on, they became less of a luxury and more of a necessity! All were walked with a little bit of jogging.

I had intended to blast the 400s but wasn't sure what blasting would be as I knew by now I had done the session too fast. I was pleasantly surprised to see them come in at 1:19 and 1:21 but I tell you I had full on 'last 100m race fatigue' on the last one...

1.25m cool down and stretches.
    T just under 10 miles but I am claiming the full 10 for effort :D

So I'm pleased with the times but I'm guessing this session could be counter-productive? I suppose I need to ask more questions about times, paces and purpose of the session in future. Any thoughts very welcome.

I could continue to sand bag about the niggle I was convinced was a stress fracture or shin splint after a bit of googling (:o) but if you've read this far you've read enough and don't need to hear that yesterday's torturer physio is confident it is nothing more than DOMS from yesterday's torture session treatment.

The first k was 4:01 or so

3/1 5/2
    the 600s......These were done in 2:02 and 2:01

5/2 2/1

3/1 5/2

5/2 2/1

Haha I'd say feck off but I due to my sheltered upbringing,I don't really understand this slash/number lingo...but I'm guessing I haven't done myself any favours...

Ps read closely 'the 600s were SHORT' :D

Haha I'd say feck off but I due to my sheltered upbringing,I don't really understand this slash/number lingo...but I'm guessing I haven't done myself any favours...

Ps read closely 'the 600s were SHORT' :D

You say short, I read fast ;)
    I was averaging 2:00 min 600m reps this time last year and ran 39:07 in Sunday's race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

It's all yours to loose. Just turn up and bring home the bacon

You say short, I read fast ;)
    I was averaging 2:00 min 600m reps this time last year and ran 39:07 in Sunday's race!
    It's all yours to loose. Just turn up and bring home the bacon
    Ah lads, what happened to constructive feedback?! :D Sure how could I run a sub-40 10k, I haven't even run a sub-20 5k yet!

The 600s would probably nearer to 2:10 if the full distance...and I only did two :) How many were you doing last year? More than two i am sure ;)

• Advertisement

I had to move the 600s to another field cos the loop I was going to use for these was full of frickin feckin fcooking small dog walkers who were not in control of their Fidos. I was brought to a near standstill on the second 8 by a two inch high mutt LOOKING at me, then nonchalantly strolling in front of me...do I look like a low-low hurdler??!!

Lol! I misread this and thought you were hurdling small dog walkers rather than small dogs :o

Sorry I'm no use whatsoever on the other stuff. Except perhaps to quote from my vast (12 hours :rolleyes:) experience of Pete Magill's programme:
    'Remember, we don't run repetitions to practice running faster. We run repetitions to improve the physiological systems that will allow us to run faster in the future.'

Seriously impressive splits though - no wonder the odds are dropping ;)

Advertisement