Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

You're better off with an aftermarket one anyway to be honest. More features and better protection.

Also 19" wheels are sooooo much nicer than 18's. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Not many Irish cars have factory fitted alarms these days. Immobiliser yes, alarm no. The Golf R is the only VW that comes with it as standard afaik.

Is there definitely no alarm as standard. Can't believe you could just walk up to one break in and drive off and it won't even give a beep.
    Will be getting the technology pack that seems to give some kind of notification via car net it's been broken into. I can find nothing about a standard alarm even an immobilizer.
    The car net doesn't seem to be free looks like you have to go get your own SIM contact to use it when you look down in the T's and C's.

How are they going to start it to drive it off?

I haven’t much heed in car alarms (or house alarms for that matter) they are far more of a noise nuisance going off falsely than the use they provide. A car is very hard to steal without the keys (which nullifies the alarm), breaking in to snatch stuff won’t be stopped by an alarm as it only takes a second. I’d not bother with the alarm and spend my money on some sort of good tracker, or even better a kill switch so they can’t start it even with the keys (or something that kills it a few km down the road) so it can’t be taken even with the key.

No alarm on the Golf also means no deadlocks, which would concern me more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Called the insurance company, no loading for not having the alarm, so there's one extra I can scrap.

The technology pack i'm not so sure on either, if it was leather i'd say ya I need heated seats but with cloth I don't think so. Not worried about navigation or vw apps, the standard audio system supports spotify and android auto that will do me. Heated washers etc, again not too bothered, i've got a kettle for cold mornings.

I would keep the High beam assist as an extra on it's own @184 as i'm used to it. That and metallic paint @676. Not seeing any other must haves. The standard spec nearly covers it all.

• Advertisement

The standard one has everything you need though for the head unit, are people really going to hammer me for not having heated cloth seats and a reversing camera it's hardly a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The standard one has everything you need though for the head unit, are people really going to hammer me for not having heated cloth seats and a reversing camera it's hardly a bus.

Gotta say, I wouldn't invest in options with the goal of recouping it at resale time because you won't. Year, Mileage & condition are the major factors for resale value in Ireland, anything above that is a plus.

Tech pack is a must to be honest. As OSI says, when every other car has it and yours is the one that doesn't, it will hurt you.

Also car (and house) alarms are most definitely something I would not only suggest but say are required too. I guess it depends on where you live but I know for a fact I have been scoped out/targeted in the past and since getting the alarm, which not only goes off with a glass break, but also for tilt and proximity has given me piece of mind and reduced the interest in it. I would say especially with VW's you need that extra cover, unless you like replacing wheels and mirror caps etc... It's not only the car they;'re interested in, it can be parts off it which they can easily take without gaining access to it.

Edit: Just to add, also a good shout on the tracker and aftermarket immobiliser too!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

OSI wrote: »
    When every other car in the yard has it, they'll have to make yours attractive somehow and they won't do it off their own backs.

I'd agree with this, doubt you'll find many GTI's not spec'd with this stuff, so you'd definitely be at the low end come trade in time.

Are you sticking with the Active Info Display (digital dash)? If so, not getting the nav will mean you wont be able to put the moving map on the dash between the dials (which you can reduce in size to give a large map), one of it's best features I think.

dar83 wrote: »
    Tech pack is a must to be honest. As OSI says, when every other car has it and yours is the one that doesn't, it will hurt you.

Also car (and house) alarms are most definitely something I would not only suggest but say are required too. I guess it depends on where you live but I know for a fact I have been scoped out/targeted in the past and since getting the alarm, which not only goes off with a glass break, but also for tilt and proximity has given me piece of mind and reduced the interest in it. I would say especially with VW's you need that extra cover, unless you like replacing wheels and mirror caps etc... It's not only the car they;'re interested in, it can be parts off it which they can easily take without gaining access to it.

Edit: Just to add, also a good shout on the tracker and aftermarket immobiliser too!

The factory alarm won't go off if you tamper with the door mirrors (I should know!). Technically it's supposed to go off if the car is tilted / jacked-up. I never tried. As I mentioned earlier, the lack of deadlocks when you don't spec the alarm would bother me more.

I'd tend to agree to some extent that alarms are only a nuisance, people ignore them going off. But it would still give me peace of mind as a deterrent of sorts. A house alarm is probably much more important - they'll ultimately need your keys - in your house - to take the car.

I don't think the tech pack will make diddly squat difference come trade in time. Dealers don't offer much, if anything, back on any options you'd spec. I'd still spec it though as it is a nice package.

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »

My car will be lighter, and lighter = faster:cool:

You'd probably get better gains by only filling the tank halfway each time. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't think many new cars come with alarms these days. Normally I'd be against an alarm, at least a house one anyway as they do nothing, a car alarm on the other hand would stand out these days. You'd know it's your car.

In regards to the tech pack, it isn't a huge cost for what you get. I almost didn't get it because I didn't think I needed heated seats. They're really good. Even though it's a small car don't rule out the reversing camera, it's a really good camera and the large screen helps. It's gotten me out of some blind parking anytime a van or Qashqai parks beside me and blocks my view.

Haven't seen above mention the heated windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I have to say, if I was looking to pick between two Golfs to buy with one having the tech pack and one not, I'm realistically not going to choose the one that doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I'd agree on the tech pack, the camera is excellent and the heated seats are very nice in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

If you really want to do that your starting point would be to ditch the standard alloys as they weigh a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Technically it's supposed to go off if the car is tilted / jacked-up. I never tried.

I can confirm that it does go off when jacked/tilted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Clean VRS :D

IMG-2085.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭easyvision

So I got the Michelin PS4s in the end, feels like the car has waaaaay more grip, love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Golf LED headlights

Looking for some help/advice from you knowledgeable folk on here, recently ordered a new golf HL with R Line kit for delivery early January, from the pictures I had seen I assumed the LED headlights were standard (silly I know)
    is there much involved in changing for LED?
    Funny part is I’m not that pushed on LED for the lights themselves it’s the daytime running lights I want as they look like the GTD/GTI.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Golf LED headlights

Looking for some help/advice from you knowledgeable folk on here, recently ordered a new golf HL with R Line kit for delivery early January, from the pictures I had seen I assumed the LED headlights were standard (silly I know)
    is there much involved in changing for LED?
    Funny part is I’m not that pushed on LED for the lights themselves it’s the daytime running lights I want as they look like the GTD/GTI.

Thanks

I did them same as you last year HL with the R line kit I also ordered the Led lights. They are an 1800 euro option. The code for led's on the R line is different to the code for the standard golf the bumper is different obviously. EBay have aftermarket Led's but they probably won't fit. The Led's are excellent.

I don't know how much front LEDs would cost you (make sure you get the right ones), but when I was pricing rear LED lights it was around €600-700 which is far more than the €450 or so it would cost with VW. Kicking myself for not getting the upgraded ones.

From what I gather there's 3-4 different model codes for each light as they're individual units, so you'd need 2 MK7.5 right hand drive units. You'll need to double check if they're plug and play and if any coding is needed. With the rear lights I was looking at some of the sellers included a new wire loom to plug in right away. Don't think it's too difficult overall, very pricey though.

The daytime lights in the LED headlights do look the business alright. Shame the Polo GTI isn't the same style.

It's a shame you can't just buy them from VW. The dealer won't get them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Cheers for the info

I had my reservations about using non OEM parts on car fresh from the factory

guess I’ll just have to live with my mediocre lights till I go for the GTD next time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

On the VW website a new GTI starts at €41,595.

What was the starting price this time last year?

On the VW website a new GTI starts at €41,595.

What was the starting price this time last year?

What model is that for, 3 door manual?

Here's some figures from old product guides I have:

In 2015 the base price for a 3 door manual (non-PP) GTI was €35,750.

in 2017 the same car was €38,195.

EDIT: I see they only offer the performance version now, here's the figures for the performance version:

2015 - from €37,070

2017 - from €39,995

It's the 5 door Performance Pack. I think the DSG model was €43,xxx, it's €44,395 now.

Anyone know how these price increases compare to other territories? Hearing the 2015 prices you'd swear it was years ago considering how much more they are now.

Here's the 5 door GTI-P manual prices for comparison:

2015 - €38,045

2017 - €40,995
    OSI wrote: »
    151 was short quite a bit of spec compared to now though. In saying that, mine was 40k so they've definitely creeped up.

That 2015 price was after the big spec upgrade, as that's the product guide prices from when I bought my GTI-P in 2015, it included the Xenons and the other spec improvements around that time.

From 2015 to now for what is essentially the same, albeit facelifted car with +15bhp it looks like a €3,550 price rise. Unfortunately with WLTP and more and more penal taxes they are going to continue creeping up I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any updates on the Mk8 yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement

The dealer is reputable anyway. Very much so. They are good lads to sell cars though so if you are interested I'd get down there :)
    It's not cheap of course but it looks minty.

Yeah they get some nice stuff in there alright at times. That's where I bought my ST back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

everlast75 wrote: »

That car has been local to me all it's life - owner was near the front of our housing estate so I've driven past it practically every day, and it's always been minty mint, and whenever I've seen it being driven it wasn't being wragged.

There are frequently other very nice cars parked next to it, so I suspect the owner was someone with an interest in nice motors.

Don't have any specific info on that car, but I have a 2 owner mk5 gti for the last 5 years, brought from that mileage to 162k/km & it still drives like new. Other than routine servicing (incl gearbox every 40k - look for evidence of this) & maybe 200 worth of preventative maintenance, it's been cost free. I have my eye on Mk7's but I can't man-maths myself into buying one as it's not enough of a leap to warrant the additional 20k cost. Patiently waiting for R's to hit the 20k mark.

deffo at the upper end price wise for a mk5.
    No climate control.
    It doesnt have the multi function steering wheel and just the basic radio.
    This can be added (it was by a previous owner of my mk5)
    Also the wheels have been powder coated with no diamond cut.might not bother you but I like the diamond cut!
    Make sure its getting up to temp on a moterway as the thermostat is a pricey job due to labour.
    Rear calipers sticking is common on them too check check the pad/disc condition .

I've had mine 2 years now and put a lot into it.Didn't need it all but I like doing the work myself .
    Just coming up to 161,000KM so 100,000 miles and its a fantastic drive !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

deffo at the upper end price wise for a mk5.
    No climate control.
    It doesnt have the multi function steering wheel and just the basic radio.
    This can be added (it was by a previous owner of my mk5)
    Also the wheels have been powder coated with no diamond cut.might not bother you but I like the diamond cut!
    Make sure its getting up to temp on a moterway as the thermostat is a pricey job due to labour.
    Rear calipers sticking is common on them too check check the pad/disc condition .

I've had mine 2 years now and put a lot into it.Didn't need it all but I like doing the work myself .
    Just coming up to 161,000KM so 100,000 miles and its a fantastic drive !

Wheels look to be 17's rather than the diamond cut 18's.

• Advertisement

That’s what I paid for my 2006 with lower miles at the time 7 years ago!! Mine is 3 door and not dsg but similar spec otherwise.

Neilw wrote: »
    Wheels look to be 17's rather than the diamond cut 18's.

I was thinking that but wasnt sure.
    Did they offer the MK5 gti with 17s?
    That’s what I paid for my 2006 with lower miles at the time 7 years ago!! Mine is 3 door and not dsg but similar spec otherwise.

I paid 7.5 for mine 2.5 years ago.Needed service and DSG oil straight away so say 8

Yep I've the 17's on mine. Serious comfort & probably what's kept the bushings so fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

I paid 7.5 for mine 2.5 years ago.Needed service and DSG oil straight away so say 8

17's were standard and the 18's were an €800 option

heres my mark V bought from new in 08 options include 18's, sun roof, alarm , rear privacy glass and ipod connection €40,700 at the time!!

Yep I've the 17's on mine. Serious comfort & probably what's kept the bushings so fresh.

Im due new tyres in the next 3/4 months.
    Going to get 225/45/18 as opposed to the 225/40/18 that on it now to get some comfort back.
    Had a loan of rims when I was getting my own diamond cut with the 225/45/18s and made quite the difference and also look better in the arch.

Heres mine in the alps September gone,so clean compared to now .......

• Advertisement

Here's my mk5 addition to the mk7 thread....
    Cream leather, sunroof, dsg, heated seats, climate control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Wow thats hefty money for a mk5.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Paid 7k last month from the north for a 3dr 2005 MK5 tornado red but was as new xenons leather 18 monzas I'd say go for it at €8k or less not much around that's such an icon in motoring for that kind of money and that gives as much fun to drive
    Your buying the car not the plate

Cars Ireland have a review up of the Polo GTI, of course it's the only video I've seen with halogens!

They have the Bridgestone Turanza T001 on it. They hold well on a wet roundabout or heavy braking but they're happy to lose grip if you accelerate ever so slightly out of a junction or if you're accelerating hard from a red light in the wet and that's on a 110hp Golf. So they put them on a hot hatch in a country where it's always wet while other countries get the Pilot Sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought the Polo GTi was removed from the Irish VW configurator due to WLTP?

The 2019 ones have jumped a couple of tax brackets, now 750 to tax. 171 g/km*2

Configurator still isn't working properly but they have the emissions up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

The 2019 ones have jumped a couple of tax brackets, now 750 to tax. 171 g/km*2

Configurator still isn't working properly but they have the emissions up...
    Where do you see that? The Product Guide still lists it as €280.

Capture.jpg

fletch wrote: »
    Where do you see that? The Product Guide still lists it as €280.

Capture.jpg

I was on about it's big brother the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

I was on about it's big brother the golf.

Published emissions are now full WLTP but the car isn’t accessed again them. New Cupra Leon is 171 too but only band C as accessed this year as being 149 co2. V confusing!

Casati wrote: »
    Published emissions are now full WLTP but the car isn’t accessed again them. New Cupra Leon is 171 too but only band C as accessed this year as being 149 co2. V confusing!

191 on will be in the higher tax, no?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement