Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I agree Joe, normal or sport modes are the ones to use, but the difference between the two is hardly noticable, the steering response is better in sport alright and the aktuator is louder, but these can be turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I agree Joe, normal or sport modes are the ones to use, but the difference between the two is hardly noticable, the steering response is better in sport alright and the aktuator is louder, but these can be turned off.

In DSG cars, Sport or “Race” mode is practically unusable too tbh. Holds onto the gears much too long. Bouncing off the limiter in 2nd gear...

I suppose its more for using the paddles and track driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

If i put it in race i just tip the gear lever back into D. The very first DSG car i drove was a caddy about 15 years ago and even sport mode in that held the gear far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

My MK 7 DSG R gets a fairly consistent 28mpg with a mix of urban/rural/motorway. I use normal mode about 99% of them. I dont believe Eco mode has any useful effect on consumption, not that I've noticed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

What sort of mpg are you guys getting from Mk7 DSG R? I'm sat around 16mpg, mainly city driving - I wasn't expecting an ecobox but thought it would be in the 20s at least!

29 mpg with mixed driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

533km to a tank from 47L so 32 mpg or so? Justifies my decision to go GTD. A GTi would have broke me.

Hold Up! That was my first ever tank with a lot of flapping about. I've 350km up today and on the 4th notch down, and it's saying 330k left in the tank.

I'd say if you get around 600 to a tank you will do well. Which for the power you have is not too bad really. I've my GTD up to 233bhp/353ft lb and I get 750-800 to a tank. I'd still love a GTi though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Usually get 550/600 km out of a tank
    7.5 R. Keep it in normal mode 90% of the time. Personally find a big difference In sport mode. Throttle response much better car feels much more aggressive. It dose bounce off the limiter in 1 2 3 very easy.. Probably be lucky to get 350km out of a tank in sports mode. But God it's a buzz to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

JoeA3 wrote: »
    In DSG cars, Sport or “Race” mode is practically unusable too tbh. Holds onto the gears much too long. Bouncing off the limiter in 2nd gear...

I’ve put close to 200,000 Kms on two Golf R’s now and always drive in S but manual using the paddles as D just seems wrong on the car and like you said S auto is just insane too.
    I get about 23-25 mpg and find it hard to get much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know it was discussed recently but I don't know how far back it is with all the TCR talk :)

Looking for something grippier for the Highline. Happy with the Bridgestone Turanza T001. Grips well in the wet, handles being thrown into a roundabout and is very predictable when on the limit or about to lose grip. Only downside is it can spin out if accelerating out of a junction.

The newer T005 is apparently better but I don't mind stretching the budget.

The PilotSport 4 is around €107, the Eagle F1 AS3 is only €79 but it seems most people lean towards the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

PilotSport 4s were €125 a corner when I went out with the intention of getting them on my 1 Series. Ended up going with Turanza ER300s. €107 a corner seems pretty good for those.

I presume those are online prices ye are quoting? I'm due a set of fronts soon and I'm between the PS4/Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3 or Hankook Ventus Evo 2.

Had both the Goodyear and Hankooks before and can't fault them for price and quality.
    I got a quote for the Hankooks again for €110 each fitted for 225/40/18.

The PS4 are supposed to be a level up but your looking at €150 a corner each roughly, supplied and fitted.

Had both AS2 and 3 myself, there was a much better rim protection on the 2 but the 3 were probably better in the wet.

Finding tyre shops that stock decent brands these days isn't easy though, and most wont fit tyres which you've bought online

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I presume those are online prices ye are quoting?

For me anyway it was Geraghty's in Waterford city for 225/45/17.

• Advertisement

In that case those prices were quite reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I know it was discussed recently but I don't know how far back it is with all the TCR talk :)

Looking for something grippier for the Highline. Happy with the Bridgestone Turanza T001. Grips well in the wet, handles being thrown into a roundabout and is very predictable when on the limit or about to lose grip. Only downside is it can spin out if accelerating out of a junction.

The newer T005 is apparently better but I don't mind stretching the budget.

The PilotSport 4 is around €107, the Eagle F1 AS3 is only €79 but it seems most people lean towards the PS4.

I’ll say either Continental PremiumContact 6 or Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 and based on the following test which is more applicable for our conditions than German tests.
    https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Express-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Where you getting as3 s for 79?
    What size ?

Where you getting as3 s for 79?
    What size ?

Oponeo have them at that price for 225/45/17. Sorry I thought I said the size in my first post!

The mk8 GTi isn't going hybrid and they manual is staying. Let's hope they work some magic with emissions or the 2019 PP is looking like the one to have https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/303772/vw-golf-gti-no-hybrid/amp/

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Oponeo have them at that price for 225/45/17. Sorry I thought I said the size in my first post!

FFS,
    They go up 45e a tyre for 18s!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I have to get 4 tyres for the golf. I'm currently on PS4 on the front and have only got 20k km out of them. AS3 before that lasted around 24k km. Not sure what to move to, seems premium contact 6 or Dunlop are getting good reviews.

If i get 20k out of a set of front tyres i'd be happy enough with that.

My wife has a 1.0 TSI Ibiza from new last year and it came with Pirelli Cinturato P7. There's nearly 28kms on the car and they still have plenty of meat left. I guess it's the combination of the lighter engine out front and her driving style is slightly different to mine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Pirelli P Zero all round for me on my 7R . I get around 25k kms on front. I have 47k km on the back tyres, but they need to be changed soon alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

On the topic of tyres, has anyone got any experience of ride comfort on a standard type golf on 18s? (i.e not a GTD or GTI with suspension/chassis set up for it)

Just got a mk7.5 tdi with standard 17s and was thinking of upgrading at some stage, wouldn’t mind paying extra for premium rubber if it improved comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Loving the new TCR version. Shame it has come so late in the model life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    On the topic of tyres, has anyone got any experience of ride comfort on a standard type golf on 18s? (i.e not a GTD or GTI with suspension/chassis set up for it)

Just got a mk7.5 tdi with standard 17s and was thinking of upgrading at some stage, wouldn’t mind paying extra for premium rubber if it improved comfort

is it highline, comfortline or trendline spec?

personally I don't think 18's on the comfortline/trendline work - too much arch aesthetically plus if you look at the golf brochure 18's are not available as a factory fit option. 18's are a nice fit on the highline

Loving the new TCR version. Shame it has come so late in the model life.

Autocar are saying that the TCR will live on in the MK8, replacing the PP model. So a not-so-special-edition after all!

Could be bullcrap obviously, as often is the case in these car mags.

kooga wrote: »
    is it highline, comfortline or trendline spec?

personally I don't think 18's on the comfortline/trendline work - too much arch aesthetically plus if you look at the golf brochure 18's are not available as a factory fit option. 18's are a nice fit on the highline

It’s highline with the r line kit so should look okay aesthetically, although I do agree with you on the wheel arch some cars end up looking like they’re on stilts! I’ve had 2 golfs now both on 17s and just afraid of loosing comfort jumping to 18s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I have a Highline with factory 18's and honestly I think it looks quite smart. I wouldn't say the ride quality is compromised anyway.

I Don't think there's much of a difference in how they look on lower trim levels though, visually with the Golf 7 it's very difficult to tell the trim levels apart aside from the wheels. The only difference really on the outside is that Trendline has no front fogs or radar and some Highlines have rear LED's. At a glance a Comfortline with OEM 18's could pass as a Highline.

Getting the R-line kit with anything other than 18's on the other hand looks a bit **** IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

if you have the r line kit you defo need the 18's - a friend at work as a 181 1.0tsi highline with r line kit and is on 17's and the wheels are lost in the arches and side skirts

on the VW configurator the upgrade to 18's is a shocking price minimum €900 +

if its any consolation I have a 08 mark V GTI and I specced 18's when I bought it new - my previous GTI was on 17's - TBH hard to tell the difference ride wise

I’ve also got a mk5 Gti on 18s with 225/40/18s
    I had a loan of a set of 18s with 225/45/18s (wheel refurbish)
    They looked way better and I’m sure it felt better.
    Will be getting 45 all around next time

Cheers thanks for the info, I figure I’ll get some use out of the standard rubber and will get the 18s after

In relation to the above advice about tyres, the car in question I was due to receive this week, after numerous phone calls chasing the dealer I’ve finally been told the car is delayed to the end of March at the earliest! Possibly into April.. due to issues with WLTP sign off in Germany.. anybody hear of similar issues?

It’s a 2.0l tdi and was ordered the second week in November.. I’m fairly annoyed at the thought of waiting another 2 months minimum

I inquired about ordering a 191 highline Golf with the new 1.5 TSi engine back last summer around July and was told the earliest I would have one was March/April so I'm not surprised. I ended up buying a 3 year old GTD instead for €10k less. WLTP really messed up VW's order books

Same as, was buying a 191 GTi performance, ended up in a 172 GTi with 15bhp less. Still they could have a MK8 GTi out of me yet this year.

I wanted a GTi but paying for a wedding kinda scuppered those plans, still though I am very happy with the GTD.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Trying to decide between the two, probably pre facelift GTD or GTI. I do about 20k km each year so not crazy mileage, and I'm wondering will I just bite the bullet and get the GTI, seems like it'll be a hell of a lot more fun.

Have people owned both and have strong opinions either way?

theintern wrote: »
    Trying to decide between the two, probably pre facelift GTD or GTI. I do about 20k km each year so not crazy mileage, and I'm wondering will I just bite the bullet and get the GTI, seems like it'll be a hell of a lot more fun.

Have people owned both and have strong opinions either way?

The general consensus is if you can afford it and don't do massive mileage, get the GTi. No doubt it's the better driver's car. I do 30k+ so I went GTD. I strongly contemplated the GTi too as I was coming from a petrol ST but couldn't find any decent spec ones at the time within budget. There's a very nice 3 door PP DSG model with genuine 19" Pretoria wheels for sale at the minute. If you don't need the extra doors it's the one to go for.

• Advertisement

The general consensus is if you can afford it and don't do massive mileage, get the GTi. No doubt it's the better driver's car. I do 30k+ so I went GTD. I strongly contemplated the GTi too as I was coming from a petrol ST but couldn't find any decent spec ones at the time within budget. There's a very nice 3 door PP DSG model with genuine 19" Pretoria wheels for sale at the minute. If you don't need the extra doors it's the one to go for.

Found that one you mentioned. Serious looking car. I'm probably not ready to buy right now, but if I was it's perfect. Private sale is always a bit trickier too, since I'd need to offload the current wagon (13 2L Mk7).

Drove a GTD today and while it's a lovely car, it really isn't much of a step up performance wise from the 150 2.0L diesel. It made my mind up to go for the GTI.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd recommend someone pay the premium for the GTD over the 2.0L, the extra 34bhp are hard to notice.

True, the main difference between a GTD and a 150 would be the suspension upgrades and XDS diff. They are a different car after a remap though, but you could say the same about GTi, i've been in a revo'd tuned PP GTI and it was very impressive.

theintern wrote: »
    Drove a GTD today and while it's a lovely car, it really isn't much of a step up performance wise from the 150 2.0L diesel. It made my mind up to go for the GTI.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd recommend someone pay the premium for the GTD over the 2.0L, the extra 34bhp are hard to notice.

Did you drive them both back to back?

Judging how fast a car is in isolation isn't easy. I've often thought a car felt not very fast but then get back into a less powerful car and that's when you see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

True, the main difference between a GTD and a 150 would be the suspension upgrades and XDS diff. They are a different car after a remap though, but you could say the same about GTi, i've been in a revo'd tuned PP GTI and it was very impressive.

From memory the xds isn't a diff at all. More of a traction control type affair that nips the brakes on the wheel with less grip to transfer the torque to the other wheel. It's an inefficient way of doing it as you're trying to accelerate and the car is nipping the brake at one of your wheels.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    From memory the xds isn't a diff at all. More of a traction control type affair that nips the brakes on the wheel with less grip to transfer the torque to the other wheel. It's an inefficient way of doing it as you're trying to accelerate and the car is nipping the brake at one of your wheels.

Yeah it's not an actual diff, similar to the torque vectoring in the Ford STs. It worked really well in the Fiesta I had. It definitely does help with traction.

• Advertisement

Did you drive them both back to back?

Judging how fast a car is in isolation isn't easy. I've often thought a car felt not very fast but then get back into a less powerful car and that's when you see the difference.

Hopped out of my own 2.0L and into the GTD, then home in the 2.0L so yep, back to back to back :)

Don't get me wrong, it felt different, nice handling through the corners and a small bit more pep. But the engine response felt very very similar in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

While a lot of posters here on this thread have since moved on from a GTI/GTD/R, I have just very recently joined the club. I picked up the keys to a new GTI a few days ago :):):)

I've wanted a GTI for a long time... I first posted in this thread almost three years ago saying so! :D I've been driving a '06 Focus 1.4 for the last five years (:o) and whilst upgrading it was always at the forefront of my mind, I could never think of an alternative other than a GTI that I would be satisfied with. It was an itch that I just had to scratch. My job circumstances changed late last year which gave me the green light to pursue a GTI. My plan was to buy a 1-3 year old MK 7/7.5 with the major requirements being that it had DSG and it wasn't white. The standard Milton Keynes alloys were a non-runner also. There were very, very few cars on sale in Ireland that matched my criteria, and I wasn't comfortable importing from the UK.

So I realised that getting a brand new car was actually the option I would be happiest with. Two weeks ago I went into my local VW dealership and specc'd up the car I wanted and all was good... until I was told that it would take 18 weeks :eek: I just couldn't bear to wait that long so the salesman checked the GTI stock in the country and he found one that ticked most of my boxes (DSG, not white, 19" wheels, Tech pack). I was more than happy to take this car, especially since I would get it so soon. There were a few extras that I had wanted, but I decided I could live without them.

Fast forward to today, and after ~600 km of driving, I am a very, very happy man :) The car is magic, it's everything I could have wished for... and more! I know I'm coming from a '06 Focus 1.4 and pretty much anything new would feel great, but the GTI really is something else. I've had such a smile on my face each time I sit into the car and turn on the engine. The power, grip and acceleration is astonishing.

I know in about 12-18 months time the Mk 8 GTI will probably be out so people might wonder why did I not wait until then. Again, given the car that I was coming from, I just couldn't bear to wait any longer.

I would like to say a MASSIVE thanks to JoeA3 for all his advice and knowledge over the last few weeks. He's given me a lot of help and I am very grateful; he's a gent.

And finally... this is my 10,000th post (it's a pure coincidence I swear!) :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Love reading posts like this! Well wear, great car.

You'll have to post a few pics now and not keep everyone else in suspense :pac:

Pics or it didn't happen :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement