Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    yeh fooking what when

what on earth do you mean , you telling me gti is gone ?

Until the MK8 you can only buy GTI PP's, TCR & Golf R's I think. The GTI still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

yeh fooking what when

what on earth do you mean , you telling me gti is gone ?

The standard model is gone, it's just the Performance Pack GTI now.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Until the MK8 you can only buy GTI PP's, TCR & Golf R's I think. The GTI still exists.

The DSG GTD is available too, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

SaintsYB wrote: »

Yeah and it costs just a smidge under €45k, mad money!

I was just talking about the ones that matter :D

• Advertisement

Ionised wrote: »
    Mine gets lots of love.
    It was a bit of a toss up between Cupra and Gti but the standard kit (especially Dcc) along with the price difference swung it. No regrets at all.

Used Cupra's look really good value, couple of 181 demo's on carzone for €32-34k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Used Cupra's look really good value, couple of 181 demo's on carzone for €32-34k

but its a SEAT tho

but its a SEAT tho

Correct. And your point is?

Correct. And your point is?

just wouldnt expect it to hold it value well

Probably not as well as an R but you're putting less money into buying the car in the first place so it's all relative.

• Advertisement

whats people's opinions on the best year gti or gtd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Exactly, so a 1-2 year old will be cheaper.

I was just talking about the ones that matter :D

I'm sure they matter to the people that drive and pay for them

I'm sure they matter to the people that drive and pay for them

As would a 2.0TD Toyota Carina, however my comment above was in jest.

i had a 2008 TSI 1.4 140bhp golf ( new ) and i loved that car

now i believe the golf now has a 1 and 1.2 litre tsi

anybody any idea how pokey these are ??

New T-Roc R revealed. It looks pretty nice now it's been given the full R treatment.

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/22321/volkswagen-t-roc-r-revealed-with-296bhp-to-rival-x2-m35i-and-audi-sq2

i had a 2008 TSI 1.4 140bhp golf ( new ) and i loved that car

now i believe the golf now has a 1 and 1.2 litre tsi

anybody any idea how pokey these are ??

I have the 1 litre. Can't say enough good things about it. It's a nifty little run around and very nice to drive. Doesn't sound bad for a 3 cylinder and it's fairly quiet. It was originally 110hp but is now 115hp. The 1 litre replaced the 1.2.

In a country full of underpowered 1.6 diesels, it's a breath of fresh air.

I'd say go for the 1.5 for a bit more poke though.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I have the 1 litre. Can't say enough good things about it. It's a nifty little run around and very nice to drive. Doesn't sound bad for a 3 cylinder and it's fairly quiet. It was originally 110hp but is now 115hp. The 1 litre replaced the 1.2.

In a country full of underpowered 1.6 diesels, it's a breath of fresh air.

I'd say go for the 1.5 for a bit more poke though.

was thinking that

i wanna spend about €20k

if its a gti its 2014 or so

but want something bit newer

heads fried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You seem to be flip flopping from looking at new 36k T-Roc's to 5 year old GTI's... very different cars with very different budgets. You probably need to step back and think about it for a while.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You seem to be flip flopping from looking at new 36k T-Roc's to 5 year old GTI's... very different cars with very different budgets. You probably need to step back and think about it for a while.

see the 20k id be using from profit from rented house ( after paying tax on it etc ) over 5 years

runs about €400 a month for that

i'd make close to that profit after tax on rent etc , so id not have to touch my own funds

the t-rock id be financing the 16k myself

hence the mind fook

• Advertisement

As Joe said, they're very different cars. If you want something to have some fun in, then the GTI is probably what you're after. If you were going to finance the €16k on a T-Roc yourself, would you think of financing the remainder of a nearly new GTI yourself too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

see the 20k id be using from profit from rented house ( after paying tax on it etc ) over 5 years

runs about €400 a month for that

i'd make close to that profit after tax on rent etc , so id not have to touch my own funds

the t-rock id be financing the 16k myself

hence the mind fook

They are still completely different cars, that was the point - no one cares where you're getting the money from ;)

If you want a GTI then buy a GTI if you buy anything else you'll just end up disappointed.

tossy wrote: »
    They are still completely different cars, that was the point - no one cares where you're getting the money from ;)

If you want a GTI then buy a GTI if you buy anything else you'll just end up disappointed.

very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Mine will be coming off PCP next year if someone wants to hang on.

One old and careful owner :)

Mine will be coming off PCP next year if someone wants to hang on.

One old and careful owner :)

whatcha got .....

Anthonylfc wrote:
    whatcha got .....

Leon Cupra 300 DSG.

I'm just an honorary GTI thread member :)

Leon Cupra 300 DSG.

I'm just an honorary GTI thread member :)

see the cupra isn't a sought after car , hence why no thread on it that you have to be here pretending you drive a VW :D:D:D:D:D:D

Plenty of VW owners on this thread who would happily drive a Leon Cupra. A GTi wouldn't see where one went by the way and they are quicker round a track than a Golf R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Speak for yourself hoochy....

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself hoochy....

them's fighting words :D

Anthonylfc wrote:
    see the cupra isn't a sought after car , hence why no thread on it that you have to be here pretending you drive a VW

I'll think on that as I waft past on my Dcc suspension as that GTI batters your spine :)

I'll think on that as I waft past on my Dcc suspension as that GTI batters your spine :)

passat at the min

even worse lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Are we measuring mickeys now lads ? It's all got a bit childish hasn't it.

tossy wrote: »
    Are we measuring mickeys now lads ? It's all got a bit childish hasn't it.

opps here's the principle :pac:

opps here's the principle :pac:

*principal:D

• Advertisement

*principal:D

tomatoes tomatoes

all the wan one , you know what i meant and that's it :D

I think the Leon Cupra is a very fine car and its a lot of car for the money. As Hooch said, there's a couple of very fresh ones on Carzone at around 32-33k which is a serious chunk of change less than a Golf R.

The interior used to be a major letdown in them but by all accounts its greatly improved in the most recent models. In fact the dials look a lot smarter / sportier than the VW equivalents imo... they've made a better stab at the digital dash / active info display.

I'd be mildly concerned about residuals, but as has been said you're paying a lot less for it in the first place.

Oh and the new Cupra badges are really horrific! What were they thinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think they are trying to position Cupra as a separate performance brand now.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think they are trying to position Cupra as a separate performance brand now.

Yeah for sure, but the marketing team should have been sent back to the drawing board with that logo/badge imo! It reminds me of Chevrolet or Daewoo... which is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Reminds me of a badge you would see on one of those cars in the Transformers movies.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote:
    Oh and the new Cupra badges are really horrific! What were they thinking...

Yeah the rebranding of Cupra is just dreadful. I do like the copper bits but the badge was a mistake.

A 181 is a lot of car for the money. That's not much more than a DSG Golf Highline. If you could get a discount on that you'd be laughing. I'd want the digital dash though, the current 290 model has the newer version of it and it looks class.
    Yeah the rebranding of Cupra is just dreadful. I do like the copper bits but the badge was a mistake.

Yeah I think the copper bits look really nice, that's the one thing about the Cupra brand they did right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Is this decent value for money??

http://www.carsireland.ie/2182649

It's a good spec and you could put 2yrs warranty on it. If your buying it straight I'd say there's more for the price to drop. I'd thoroughly check the milage, service history and a good check for crash damage as the low milage could mean it was off the road for a while. I wouldn't go on cartell alone get it checked by someone who knows what there looking for.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is this decent value for money??

http://www.carsireland.ie/2182649

why go for DSG ??? am i missing something , i thought there was awful issues with that gearbox

there is a lad on donedeal selling a 2014 for €1850

for extra €4k id go up in years ( thats if you have it )

why go for DSG ??? am i missing something ,

Evidently, you are.

I didn't think a 2011 would have a reversing camera, even now they don't seem to be that popular in cars. Have to say it's very good on the Golf. Nice wide viewing angle and pretty good in the low light.

Apparently some people have installed brighter reversing lights in their cars. I wonder would that be a worthwhile upgrade?

I didn't go for the DSG and my last few cars have all been autos. If I was going to be stuck in traffic most of the time the DSG would be a lot easier live with, if your not them go manual as it's more fun, you can have a hoot well within the speed limits.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I didn't think a 2011 would have a reversing camera, even now they don't seem to be that popular in cars. Have to say it's very good on the Golf. Nice wide viewing angle and pretty good in the low light.

Apparently some people have installed brighter reversing lights in their cars. I wonder would that be a worthwhile upgrade?

Rear camera has been available since the MK5 days (coupled with the old RNS sat nav) but it was much rarer back then. A lot of guys retro fitted it.

I'd say that MK6 is very likely a UK import, not that there's anything wrong with that. Irish MK6 GTI's were rare, never mind ones in that spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Over 14 grand for an 8 year old Golf wouldn't strike me as particularly good value for money, but then again it makes me happier inside knowing my own might be worth that in another 4 years time. :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement