Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The depreciation curve on them is funny and I always seemed to be on the wrong end of it!

Like most cars, the drop in the first 2-3 years is horrific! Buy a brand new 45k GTI - you'll be offered mid 20's for it on the trade after 3 years. But it flattens out then considerably. A mate of mine bought a really nice high spec'd '14 GTI 2 years ago for about 24k. He'd probably get a lot of his money back if he sold it on again now. I expect the eventual launch of the MK8 will hit MK7 prices though, so this time next year might be a good time to get a nicely priced MK7.

The MK6 is a bit of an oddity imo, almost like the forgotten, stop-gap GTI. Its nowhere near as desirable as the MK7 and in fact I think a good MK5 (if you could find one) is more desirable than a MK6, particularly an Edition 30 / Pirelli...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I agree Joe I think the mk6 isn’t aging well at all. It’s like a modern mk3 imo too ‘round’ in shape and too many curved edges for the era it sits in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

For me the Mk6 is just a stepping stone between the Mk5 and the Mk7, it's like the bastard child of both, and not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There a Mk7 on done deal for the less, says it's catogery D, might be worth checking out what happened it, might not have been too severe, see has he pictures to back up what happened.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagon-golf-2013-gti-2-0-3-door-white-cat-d/20878168

There a Mk7 on done deal for the less, says it's catogery D, might be worth checking out what happened it, might not have been too severe, see has he pictures to back up what happened.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagon-golf-2013-gti-2-0-3-door-white-cat-d/20878168

It’s a UK car too. Hence why it’s got the accident recorded as Cat D. I don’t think any such accident record exists for Irish cars...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From the advert text "front assist not working". That would concern me.

bazz26 wrote: »
    From the advert "front assist not working". That would concern me.

Yeah but it’s very easily damaged. A bird strike would knock it out of whack. Very expensive to put right though, that’s the problem. It would indicate its had some sort of front impact, however serious that was....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stolen/damaged recovered perhaps? 14k might be reasonable for a Mk7 but it's still a good chunk of change to be risking on a car with a lot of questions hanging over it.

If you got it for 12ish it's a car you wouldn't lose a lot of money on. Radar can't be that hard to put right if all the parts are there. It's a software or hardware issue with one of the parts. You could even just delete it but tell the insurance company, some guys do it deliberately.
    Won't last long if it all checks out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Not the first time it's been listed, that car is for sale a while

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

No keys with it though. Get the popcorn out and watch what it goes for. Don’t be too surprised if it ends up for sale over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cupra mode seems to be as comfortable as my Highline. What it slightly lacks in spec it makes up in power and noise.

Straight swap, €500 a month. Tempting.

eFkF0BF.jpg

That seems a very good deal, have you a good bit of equity built up in the Golf. I test drove a manual one last year, they are a quick car and sound lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

That's a great deal. It is a cracking car. Test drove one the other day and was surprised how comfortable it was. fancier suspension meant it was better than our Fr. Still grinning when I think about the noise and power! Unfortunately we're getting 600 a month to change which is a bit more than missus wants to spend! 1.5tsi DSG might have to make do!

• Advertisement

Just to clarify I didn't actually buy anything, yet :P

Just went to do so homework and work out the maths. Surprisingly very comfortable to drive, purposely went over some crappy speed bumps and I was expecting my back to break but handled them nicely in Cupra mode.

Insurance isn't looking good though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just to clarify I didn't actually buy anything, yet :P

Just went to do so homework and work out the maths. Surprisingly very comfortable to drive, purposely went over some crappy speed bumps and I was expecting my back to break but handled them nicely in Cupra mode.

Insurance isn't looking good though...

Dunno what age you are but post insurance did me a great deal this year & mor than halved my Aviva renewal. 29 y/o driving a GTI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Dunno what age you are but post insurance did me a great deal this year & mor than halved my Aviva renewal. 29 y/o driving a GTI

who's that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Wynner05

I’ll second the advice on post insurance, they halved my insurance on a Cupra 300 ST and i’m 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    who's that ?

I don't really know how to answer this other than....post insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The MK6 is a bit of an oddity imo, almost like the forgotten, stop-gap GTI. Its nowhere near as desirable as the MK7 and in fact I think a good MK5 (if you could find one) is more desirable than a MK6, particularly an Edition 30 / Pirelli...
    tossy wrote: »
    I agree Joe I think the mk6 isn’t aging well at all. It’s like a modern mk3 imo too ‘round’ in shape and too many curved edges for the era it sits in.
    For me the Mk6 is just a stepping stone between the Mk5 and the Mk7, it's like the bastard child of both, and not in a good way.

Heathens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

I had a Cupra 280 out on loan for a while. Nearly cried when I gave it back :(
    What a mighty car. If you can afford it then go for it.

This looks good value, the splitters might not be to everyone's taste but easily removed. One thing I can't stand about the earlier cars is the white inserts in the seats, looks tacky or something, the all black seats are much nicer.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2014-seat-leon-5d-2-0tsi-280hp-cupra-5dr/21158709

Post Insurance wouldn't quote me with Allianz as they won't insure me on anything bigger than a 1.8 as I've had a licence for less than 3 years.

I got two quotes out of the five companies I've tried so far. The lowest was €2,100. At least I'm getting quotes, I'll do the fuel/tax/tyres later but I think it might just be a little outside budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Just out of curiosity has anyone seen many 191 golfs on the road? (GTI, GTD or even standard one)

I’ve only seen one so far, a GTI, the LEDs on the facelift are quite impressive but just struck me that I haven’t seen many 191 golfs of any variant on the roads yet this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

hooch-85 wrote: »
    This looks good value, the splitters might not be to everyone's taste but easily removed. One thing I can't stand about the earlier cars is the white inserts in the seats, looks tacky or something, the all black seats are much nicer.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2014-seat-leon-5d-2-0tsi-280hp-cupra-5dr/21158709

Nice colour, but the hideous add ons need to go. Especially the spoiler add on.

The newer seats are much nicer and don't seem to split like many report for the white bits on the older design.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity has anyone seen many 191 golfs on the road? (GTI, GTD or even standard one)

I’ve only seen one so far, a GTI, the LEDs on the facelift are quite impressive but just struck me that I haven’t seen many 191 golfs of any variant on the roads yet this year

I've seen a few but only Comfortline and Trendline specs. I did a gorgeous 172 7.5 R today out in Shannon. Lapiz Blue with the Spielbergs. I must say, those alloys have grown on me.

WLTP... wasn't possible to order one for a few months in the latter half of last year which has definitely affected new registrations. I believe the waiting time for a new factory order is still nuts - 18+ weeks.

WLTP... wasn't possible to order one for a few months in the latter half of last year which has definitely affected new registrations. I believe the waiting time for a new factory order is still nuts - 18+ weeks.

Yup 100%, my own has been servely delayed because of it (not a GTI but some extras which made it an order, part of the reason I asked)

I stil would have thought I’d see more standard type non factory orders on the roads tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yup 100%, my own has been servely delayed because of it (not a GTI but some extras which made it an order, part of the reason I asked)

I stil would have thought I’d see more standard type non factory orders on the roads tho

You're just not looking hard enough ;):D

• Advertisement

You're just not looking hard enough ;):D

Haha possibly, the trendlines just aren’t worth even turning your neck ;)

Looking at the numbers on the Golf trade-in, they're valuing retail at €25,000 and the trade-in is €21,000. €3,400 of that being for me after the settlement with VW. They told me after vat, "house fee" etc they'd make €1,200 on mine.

Don't know how true these figures are but taking into account the increase in running costs, it's not quite where I'd like it to be. They're pretty firm on the price being a Cupra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Looking at the numbers on the Golf trade-in, they're valuing retail at €25,000 and the trade-in is €21,000. €3,400 of that being for me after the settlement with VW. They told me after vat, "house fee" etc they'd make €1,200 on mine.

Don't know how true these figures are but taking into account the increase in running costs, it's not quite where I'd like it to be. They're pretty firm on the price being a Cupra.

Are they discounting the car you are buying or charging you full retail for it?

So with just €3,400 equity how are you swapping into the Cupra for €500 p/m? Surely you need to be putting more cash up front along with the 3,400 or what is the % deposit level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

hooch-85 wrote: »

I quite like it!

A friend got a 191 R Line, it's lovely

Should you forget about what number is on the reg plate, there expensive cars don't think there's many of us bought our first fast car brand new or close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So with just €3,400 equity how are you swapping into the Cupra for €500 p/m? Surely you need to be putting more cash up front along with the 3,400 or what is the % deposit level?

€3,400 plus 18k over three years means paying €21,400 over the first three years. I'm not sure how much that car retails for, but I see a new red one on Carzone for 35k. So final payment then after three years would roughly be 14k, which is 40%. I think that's about in line with other stuff from VAG I've seen on PCP.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    €3,400 plus 18k over three years means paying €21,400 over the first three years. I'm not sure how much that car retails for, but I see a new red one on Carzone for 35k. So final payment then after three years would roughly be 14k, which seems a little high gfmv on a 35 grand car?

Think 36k is the price for the old model 300bhp manual. Seat are listing only the 290bhp DSG with a 2019 price increase to over 40k.

If the Grey met one is manual it’s old stock 300bhp

It's a 181
    https://www.bradysmercedes-benz.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Leon/2.0TSI-300HP/201807038071571/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkHycbe2bTuRrxztpFq4P3RLZcoyZw4ecOSyPCuxL7nlHb9hCTsxjFoaAjZgEALw_wcB

I was wondering myself at first as I thought it was a new one.

I was quoted €600 a month and were being given €6600 equity with my trade in €43,723 list price. Car had a few options though sunroof and upgraded alloys. Settlement/GMFV was lowish at €15450 on the Cupra so makes for higher slightly monthly's.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    It's a 181
    https://www.bradysmercedes-benz.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Leon/2.0TSI-300HP/201807038071571/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkHycbe2bTuRrxztpFq4P3RLZcoyZw4ecOSyPCuxL7nlHb9hCTsxjFoaAjZgEALw_wcB

I was wondering myself at first as I thought it was a new one.

I was quoted €600 a month and were being given €6600 equity with my trade in €43,723 list price. Car had a few options though sunroof and upgraded alloys. Settlement/GMFV was lowish at €15450 on the Cupra so makes for higher slightly monthly's.

So for a new one, around €600 p/m with ~6.5k up front?

So for a new one, around €600 p/m with ~6.5k up front?

Yea that was for a new one they were getting delivered end of March. They have another coming end of April but it had even more options ticked.

Ryath wrote: »
    Yea that was for a new one they were getting delivered end of March. They have another coming end of April but it had even more options ticked.

That’s 2018 with 7km looks good value at 34k

Sorry, should have mentioned this was the 181 Cupra. There's a 191 down the road in McCoys alright but €40k is a bit juicy to run out and have a look at.

It still seems a good deal, the manual one I looked at last year in Limerick, they wanted €5k down and €590 pm. Think the list on it at the time was €39k and they didn't take anything off it even though it was a demo being driven by the dealer with 3k on the clock!

Everyone's circumstances are different but when you're getting into 600 a month territory for a car, its starting to get too expensive imo. It stings a bit, seeing that come out every month long after the new car smell has faded!

And that's before you get into the significant extra running costs over your 1.0 Golf...

#party-pooper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I've a 152 184 FR that I'd be looking to upgrade. With the new models not coming up for another few months that Cupra could be a runner. I'll ring and see what they'd give me for the FR.

I agree Joe. I think €400 a month is the max amount i'd feel comfortable paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Back to the Gti TCR, has anyone ordered one?

I've a 152 184 FR that I'd be looking to upgrade. With the new models not coming up for another few months that Cupra could be a runner. I'll ring and see what they'd give me for the FR.

There a Clubsport in Frank Keane's no pictures up yet.

Neilw wrote: »
    Back to the Gti TCR, has anyone ordered one?

Did you price one anywhere yet Neil?

First challenge - find a salesman who knows what it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement