Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

There's only 20 being made available for Ireland apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

hooch-85 wrote: »
    There's only 20 being made available for Ireland apparently

I don't believe that tbh... just VW marketing spiel. They'll bring in as many as they can sell or VW will build, which may indeed turn out to be less than 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Did you price one anywhere yet Neil?

First challenge - find a salesman who knows what it is.

No I didn't go past the online configurator, some of the options I would like weren't listed so I just gave up.

I would like to see one but the chance of VW getting a 3 door demo are slim to none.

Neilw wrote: »
    No I didn't go past the online configurator, some of the options I would like weren't listed so I just gave up.

I would like to see one but the chance of VW getting a 3 door demo are slim to none.

Usual story with the options... if you dig out the option codes they'd probably spec whatever it is for you. One thing I noticed is, the dynamic light assist appears to be a "free" add on under the tech pack. Whether that's a mistake or intentional, who knows.

Demo wise, I wouldn't hold your breath. The factory build times are also currently horrendous. Even if you did order (or a dealer ordered a demo), you might not see it this side of July/August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I agree with Joe on the monthly payments. It's finance in a nutshell though, even a decent spec Polo 1.0 is €380 with a small deposit. At the end of the day, regardless of what deposit/monthlies they're all the same amount after 3 years. It is nice to have less tied up each month though.

I can comfortably walk away with the Cupra at €500. Even with the bigger fuel bill. The only downside is that day 1, car/gap insurance and tax are a good chunk of change. If they discounted a little it would take the sting out of it. This was purely a bit of window shopping but it looks like I'll have to try again next year!

I think they are discounting it with the trade in value for your car, €25k seems high and that's no offence intended to you or the car.

I think they are discounting it with the trade in value for your car, €25k seems high and that's no offence intended to you or the car.

That's their retail value, the trade-in on mine is €21,000.

Sorry, that makes more sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Everyone's circumstances are different but when you're getting into 600 a month territory for a car, its starting to get too expensive imo. It stings a bit, seeing that come out every month long after the new car smell has faded!

And that's before you get into the significant extra running costs over your 1.0 Golf...

#party-pooper

€600 is getting a bit high alright. It's a pity there was no standard spec cars available. With non metalic white and two more payments paid We'd be looking at about €7500 equity and ~€500 monthly's. Might have been able to swing that if we could get one. With Cupra becoming a separate brand Seat dealers can't get them any more there's only a handful allocated to them and with the Mk3 be near the end I doubt the Cupra dealership will have them much longer either. Wonder how long before the Cupra version after the Mk4 Leon is out.

is the all new Cupra / Leon actually due soon? I'd imagine it might be a while after the MK8 Golf...

• Advertisement

Is Airside the only Cupra dealer in the country now? I think that's a bad move, they should make them available even by special order to the other dealerships.

Is Airside the only Cupra dealer in the country now? I think that's a bad move, they should make them available even by special order to the other dealerships.

Only one at the moment. It's a stand alone brand now. They'd want one or two more in country really.

Doubt it? Sure our buddy here in Galway bought one recently in Monaghan's.

Doubt it? Sure our buddy here in Galway bought one recently in Monaghan's.

The Seat dealers still have a few orders coming in but apparently can't get anymore going forward at least of the mk3.

Same as Citreon Ds I actually see a surprising amount of them around here all sold out of the Citreon dealer in Cloghan. Only DS dealer is in Airside now too.

is the all new Cupra / Leon actually due soon? I'd imagine it might be a while after the MK8 Golf...

It's supposed to be announced later this year with delivery's early 2020. I'd say it won't be to far behind the mk8 sure the Mk7 and the Mk3 Leon and Octavia all became available with in a few months of each other if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Ryath wrote: »
    It's supposed to be announced later this year with delivery's early 2020. I'd say it won't be to far behind the mk8 sure the Mk7 and the Mk3 Leon and Octavia all became available with in a few months of each other if I remember correctly.

I heard the Leon will be launched before the MK8, ie in time for 192 reg. (From memory the current Leon was launched ahead of the Golf and also the current Ibiza was launched before the new Polo). Think Seat usually delay the launch of the Cupra models mind you but who knows what will happen with Cupra as a stand alone brand

I don't think limiting the Cupra to one dealer and select Seat dealers is a good idea. It's a niche car as it is, in a fairly niche segment now that everyone suddenly needs a crossover.

I think 3 Cupras sold last year, two of them came from Brady's and they aren't approved to sell Cupras.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cupra Leon is going to be in line with GTI PP pricing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The TCR and PP are getting ditched and it'll be the GTi, GTi Cup and R in the new range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Is this dealer thing though similar to Ford and their performance models. I believe Spirit Ford are the only dealer that can order in Mustangs and RS cars, but it's more like a two tier system. My local dealer would then order through this dealer. I'm sure the same would apply for the Cupra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 douglaslad

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is this dealer thing though similar to Ford and their performance models. I believe Spirit Ford are the only dealer that can order in Mustangs and RS cars, but it's more like a two tier system. My local dealer would then order through this dealer. I'm sure the same would apply for the Cupra.

Spirit Ford are not the only Ford dealer that can order in performance models such as Mustang and the RS, C.A.B. Cork and Desmond Motors in Derry are also designated dealers who offer this service.

I was offered €500 discount/trade-in for that Cupra to help me make a decision. Step in the right direction but I'm looking at another car soon.

I can live without digital dash, keyless or reversing camera but it also doesn't have adaptive cruise/front assist so not so sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I was offered €500 discount/trade-in for that Cupra to help me make a decision. Step in the right direction but I'm looking at another car soon.

I can live without digital dash, keyless or reversing camera but it also doesn't have adaptive cruise/front assist so not so sure...

I drove from Galway to Meath and back again on Saturday and I used adaptive cruise control the whole time on the motorway. It was my first proper time using adaptive cruise since I got the GTI a few weeks ago. It made the journey so easy; I can see it being a must-have for me in the future.

(I had to drive about 35 km on a R road also so I had it in Sport mode then and gave it the beans :D:D:D)

I thought it was a must have too but my current car doesn't have it and tbh you just get used to not having it. I don't do an awful lot of motorway spins though so that's probably a factor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

ACC is a godsend, it doesn't like snow though.

Edit for the righteous few who will say you shouldn't use ACC in the snow - snow falling not initially sticking no one in front of me on motorway for some distance.

I could probably live without ACC but it would be a shame to go back.

In saying that, I have first dibs to look at one for €1,000 more with LED headlights, ACC, sunroof, keyless and a few other extras, probably out if the budget though. I wonder if Brady's would come down more knowing that one is much better specced.

• Advertisement

Have you owned a car with ACC before? I had a Golf with it, and now back in a car without it and don't miss it at all. I use normal cruise nearly everyday but never warmed fully to the active cruise. I often "cruise" past cars, and in the Golf that then involved more work by trying to figure out best way to overtake the car if that makes sense.

Anyway, I think I am in the minority. I also realise that as I don't like digital dashes and I dislike the way a lot of interiors are going with OTT lighting and screens. I turn the screen off in my car at night when not in use. I also don't like the auto dip headlights. Maybe I am just odd, or else getting old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Have you owned a car with ACC before? I had a Golf with it, and now back in a car without it and don't miss it at all. I use normal cruise nearly everyday but never warmed fully to the active cruise. I often "cruise" past cars, and in the Golf that then involved more work by trying to figure out best way to overtake the car if that makes sense.

I'd be the same. Wife has acc in her q5, it just confuses me when I want to overtake, have to move into overtaking lane quite early in order to not slow down? Maybe I'm just using it wrong! I prefer the normal cruise.

I find if you set the distance to the lowest level it doesn't apply the brakes until you are pretty close to the car in front. I find the emergency braking system more annoying as it can engage a bit too early at times.

ACC will keep your speed if you indicate when approaching a car to allow for passing. As soon as I start to feel it slow I'll indicate to move over.

The acc profile you set effects the acceleration/braking too. Eco is very easy going/slow, Sport is faster acceleration and late on the brakes. Normal is, well, normal.

Yeah I know about the different settings. Probably fine on a motorway but just not great on quiet national roads. For example, it'll cruise up behind a car but I don't want to pull out yet onto the wrong side of the road. Then when you get close it brakes, then you indicate and it kicks down a gear and accelerates. I just find plain cruise easier and less hassle. Same as those feckin auto dip lights. I'd rather do the dipping myself. Her Seat has them as did the Golf, and I don't like the way they have to see the other car before dipping. I'll dip sooner, cus you know I'm sound like that.

• Advertisement

lol vintage...

It’s funny what becomes a “must have” once you get used to having it. Thing is, most of this stuff is nice to have rather than must have (or in Vintage’s case, prefer not to have).

My current wagon has electric memory seats. I would have considered something like that completely frivolous but I must say it’s a brilliant feature to have when you get accustomed to having it... particularly when the wife is 5 foot nothing and sits on the steering wheel when she takes my car... so it’s nice to be able to go back to my comfortable position at the touch of a button.... first world issues, but nice all the same.

As for ACC I’d echo some of the issues vintage had with it. It’s a good system on a free flowing motorway but has flaws otherwise. The needless false alarm emergency breaking also caused me a couple of brown pants moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I went into a dealer today to see what kind of trade-in I'd get for my car and see what the monthlies would be like for a brand new manual GTI PP.

The specced car came out at €44.5k (metallic paint, tech pack, Brescias and Dynaudio). Was offered €13.8k for my own car. With a €950 deposit from myself, it came out at €412 p/m. I must say it seems very tempting.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I went into a dealer today to see what kind of trade-in I'd get for my car and see what the monthlies would be like for a brand new manual GTI PP.

The specced car came out at €44.5k (metallic paint, tech pack, Brescias and Dynaudio). Was offered €13.8k for my own car. With a €950 deposit from myself, it came out at €412 p/m. I must say it seems very tempting.

Just be aware you’re going in with max deposit (30%) and have a think about what you’ll do in 3 years time.
    - Keep it - you’ll need to refinance / pay off the ~16k balloon.
    - trade up for another new one - you’ll likely need to come up with a few grand to make up the 30% again.

Just be aware you’re going in with max deposit (30%) and have a think about what you’ll do in 3 years time.
    - trade up for another new one - you’ll likely need to come up with a few grand to make up the 30% again.

That's true alright. I think what I'd more likely do is sell the car privately and use some of that for the deposit. I have no plans to change realistically for 7/8 months, maybe even this time next year.

Have you heard the stock sound system in the Golf? It's pretty good to be fair. If you turn up the bass on the equaliser it gets really punchy without distortion or washing out the mids/highs.

Have you heard the stock sound system in the Golf? It's pretty good to be fair. If you turn up the bass on the equaliser it gets really punchy without distortion or washing out the mids/highs.

I have heard it and I was pretty impressed by it to be fair for a stock sound system. I haven't heard one with Dynaudio but I always have music on in the car which is why I'd like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Is there any benefit in 3 years time for trade in to choose a lower deposit?

Salesman has advised me not to go full deposit but the lower payments seem more appealing to me even if it means stumping up a few extra grand in deposit money

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Is there any benefit in 3 years time for trade in to choose a lower deposit?

Salesman has advised me not to go full deposit but the lower payments seem more appealing to me even if it means stumping up a few extra grand in deposit money

This is what I wonder about. Is it better to have a lower payment to save more per month for the GMFV or is it better to have a lower deposit to not have to save as much in the first place? It seems like six of one, half a dozen of another to me.

If it's zero pc interest it makes no difference at all. If there is interest involved higher deposit means borrowing less so less interest but in the grand scheme of the cost of ownership this is minute.

The sales man wants you to put in a deposit which would be ball park how much equity you have in three years time. This means higher monthlies now, but you might then get used to those. Come three years then he can ring ye up and say he can get you into a brand new car for "nothing". Just trade in and keep paying the same monthlies. 6 of one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

If it's zero pc interest it makes no difference at all. If there is interest involved higher deposit means borrowing less so less interest but in the grand scheme of the cost of ownership this is minute.

The sales man wants you to put in a deposit which would be ball park how much equity you have in three years time. This means higher monthlies now, but you might then get used to those. Come three years then he can ring ye up and say he can get you into a brand new car for "nothing". Just trade in and keep paying the same monthlies. 6 of one though.

Yeah that makes sense when you look at it that way

• Advertisement

The salesman is trying to make life easier for himself and hopefully retain you as a customer beyond this car.

PCP is often marketed / sold to people as a mechanism to roll into a new car every 3 years without any upfront cost (barring the monthly payments). In VW's case, the balloon / GFMV figure is pitched at a level that should leave you with around 20% equity in the car after 3 years but certainly not as much as 30%. So if you go in with 30% now, that's fine, so long as you plan ahead and realise you'll need a pot of cash in 3 years time to make up a shortfall in your deposit if you go with 30% again.

Going with 20% now means less of a shock to you and one less irritated / angry customer for the dealer in January 2022. I'm sure a lot of salesmen deal with many pissed off customers who went into PCP with max deposit 3 years ago without fully understanding the consequences.

The bigger the deposit you put in, the less interest you'll pay too, but with 1.9% finance, the overall interest is small regardless.

Obviously, the trouble with going with a lower deposit means your monthly for that GTI starts to look costly, probably close on 600 euro p/m with a 20% deposit, which is saucy, but it's a more accurate representation of the car's affordability to you imo.

What's the spec of the car you are trading in?

It's not great, if buying new I'd definitely opt for something better, I've been reading up on the helix VW system it's about €350 from Germany haven't priced the dealer but it's meant to be a big improvement and you keep the spare wheel just need a longer bolt for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I have heard it and I was pretty impressed by it to be fair for a stock sound system. I haven't heard one with Dynaudio but I always have music on in the car which is why I'd like it.

Dynaudio is excellent, well worth the money if you like your music.

VW stock sound system is OK, I never felt it lacking. Compared to BMW, where the stock system is incredibly poor - it's akin to listening to music via your phone's speaker, so you're pretty much compelled to upgrade to their Harmon/Kardon system (BMW's Dynaudio equivalent).

I've heard good things about Dynaudio though and you do get those nice silver frames on the A-pillar tweeters... so it's totally worth it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Dynaudio is a good system my only gripe is they only give you a 3 band graphic equaliser, that's a bit of a joke.

Pricey enough to pick up second hand, one with the speak covers etc was 1k on eBay last week there's one for a Mk7 there now for about 700, and a fender system but I don't know if that'll work here for about 600.
    Anyone knows if there's a totaled mk7.5 with the dynaudio in the country?

Pricey enough to pick up second hand, one with the speak covers etc was 1k on eBay last week there's one for a Mk7 there now for about 700, and a fender system but I don't know if that'll work here for about 600.
    Anyone knows if there's a totaled mk7.5 with the dynaudio in the country?

It's not a straightforward retrofit... not for the faint hearted. I've seen it done but you're talking about taking your interior apart.

That helix system is probably a good compromise.

Wouldn't bother me ripping it apart...looks straight forward enough I've a bit of experience at it.

• Advertisement

What's the spec of the car you are trading in?

It's a manual 151 BMW 116d Sport. 101k kms on the clock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement