Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

In that case, it's not too bad an offer I guess, what did that car retail for when new?

I thought it was a GTi/GTD you were trading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Look what's popped up for sale again :p

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-r-dsg/21208829

Seems keenly priced compared to what else is out there... one of the best examples in the country (or it certainly was 12 months ago).

Anyone interested in 151 GTD and a kidney?

Joe knows I'm obsessed with this car, I would love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Assume that was your one Joe?
    That’s a lot of car for that money.
    Seems a bargain price as it looks pristine.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if a dealer bought it even at that money.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Assume that was your one Joe?
    That’s a lot of car for that money.
    Seems a bargain price as it looks pristine.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if a dealer bought it even at that money.

Yeah it was mine. He's nearly doubled the mileage since I left it but it still looks very clean.

I think when you're selling one privately you do need to be aggressive on the price. There's been a good few dreamers on carzone over the last couple of years looking for dealer-money for them on private sales and they seem to stay for sale forever - or sometimes you see them reappear for sale with dealers... presumably eventually traded in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

hooch-85 wrote: »
    In that case, it's not too bad an offer I guess, what did that car retail for when new?

I thought it was a GTi/GTD you were trading.

I didn't buy it new so I'm not sure on my one but a new one is ~€35k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got pictures of that other Cupra today, doesn't have ACC either. Seeing it on Thursday and it's close to home so I'm looking forward to giving it a good boot around my own roads :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Anyone interested in 151 GTD and a kidney?

Joe knows I'm obsessed with this car, I would love it.

how much for your car alone ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah it was mine. He's nearly doubled the mileage since I left it but it still looks very clean.

I think when you're selling one privately you do need to be aggressive on the price. There's been a good few dreamers on carzone over the last couple of years looking for dealer-money for them on private sales and they seem to stay for sale forever - or sometimes you see them reappear for sale with dealers... presumably eventually traded in.

Joe, if you don't mind disclosing, how much was it new. Would be interesting to know re depreciation. If not, no bother!

everlast75 wrote: »
    Joe, if you don't mind disclosing, how much was it new. Would be interesting to know re depreciation. If not, no bother!

Around 49, 49.5k.

I sold it back to VW last January for a little under 34k.

So clearly, I took most of the hit. Buying them when they hit the 3 year old mark, at around the 30k level seems to be the sweet spot. The depreciation levels out a lot then.

• Advertisement

He is taking a nice hit too, presumably he paid 35k or more for the car, and less than a year later it's up for 27k, and it's cheap at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

You did well enough joe.

my 151 i traded January 18 also and i got 28k all be it with 80000 kms.

blingrhino wrote: »
    You did well enough joe.

my 151 i traded January 18 also and i got 28k all be it with 80000 kms.

Yeah I did OK, I was fortunate that the VW dealers offered to buy it back. BMW dealer offered me 26.5k for it on a trade in :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

funny you say that bmw athlone offered me 24k for mine but even told me it was worth more than that but that they would trade it. and that was against a new 430d grande coupe where im sure they would have plenty of leeway.

blingrhino wrote: »
    funny you say that bmw athlone offered me 24k for mine but even told me it was worth more than that but that they would trade it. and that was against a new 430d grande coupe where im sure they would have plenty of leeway.

Dealers want it all they're own way, it does my head in.

For the craic, I called a SEAT dealer in Dublin last week. They have a 181 GTI-PP up for 39k. Pricey (the few other 181's on carzone are a few K cheaper), but this one caught my eye as it has a great spec, manual gearbox aside.

Anyway, long story short, the conversation with them was brief. They offered a ludicrous figure for my car and nothing at all off the GTI... so while I argued my high spec BMW shouldn't be compared to a low spec "SE" they sold last week for 34k, they simultaneously contradicted themselves and argued that their GTI shouldn't be compared to other GTI's with less spec. To$$sers!

It was a mad idea that floated in my head, I'll be shelving it for a while!

For the craic, I called a SEAT dealer in Dublin last week. They have a 181 GTI-PP up for 39k. Pricey (the few other 181's on carzone are a few K cheaper), but this one caught my eye as it has a great spec, manual gearbox aside.

Anyway, long story short, the conversation with them was brief. They offered a ludicrous figure for my car and nothing at all off the GTI... so while I argued my high spec BMW shouldn't be compared to a low spec "SE" they sold last week for 34k, they simultaneously contradicted themselves and argued that their GTI shouldn't be compared to other GTI's with less spec. To$$sers!

they always try make out that they are doing you a favour

joe duffy motors in general actually are renound for trying to dry fook you

OSI wrote: »
    Joe Duffy would suck **** through a straw if it meant not dropping a fiver off the price of something. I literally walked from the VW dealership to the Audi dealership and got near 6k difference in trade in offer. Showed them the offer, still wouldn't budge.

wow that's a huge difference

who else does VW that's actually good ?

frank keane in liffey valley ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

You thinking of moving on from the 4 series Joe or just bored ?!
    I think the only dealer that will appreciate the spec of your car is a Bmw garage and they will still try and screw you anyway.
    Dealers want it every way. Buy low sell high.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    You thinking of moving on from the 4 series Joe or just bored ?!
    I think the only dealer that will appreciate the spec of your car is a Bmw garage and they will still try and screw you anyway.
    Dealers want it every way. Buy low sell high.

I agree with you on both counts.

I wasn't seriously considering it tbh, it was more out of morbid curiosity to see what it would cost. The numbers quoted made it a total non runner in any event. In fact they admitted a brand new one would probably work out cheaper. The finance rates they were talking about were off the wall too. 7% PCP or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

The numbers quoted made it a total non runner in any event. In fact they admitted a brand new one would probably work out cheaper. The finance rates they were talking about were off the wall too. 7% PCP or something like that.

I had the same experience when i went to look at an R that Airside VW had a while ago. lovely spec and the exact colour I wanted as well (LSG). Sat down with the salesman who lowballed me on my own car and then worked out some finance figures that came back with me putting down a few thousand as well as then paying 600pm with a 12k balloon payment at the end. His near exact words when I mentioned a new one would probably cost me less were "yeah, it would make more sense, makes more sense for me as well". And yeah, 6.9% was what was offered as the finance rate on that one.

He did call me the next day to see if I had thought over their numbers and wanted to proceed with the deal, but I politely declined on it due to sanity reasons.

• Advertisement

What the f*** are they planning to do with the second hand cars they must be hoarding if they're making it cheaper to buy new ones instead.

Yeah its crazy. The Seat dealer told me they couldn't offer cheaper VW Bank finance as they aren't a VW dealer and VW do not offer incentives like that to non franchise dealers... WTF. Isn't SEAT under the same umbrella company FFS.

On brand new cars you have cheap PCP finance (zero % in some cases), deposit contributions, new car discounts, new car smell, etc, etc... so a nearly-new one is a very hard sell indeed.

I don't understand the sales tactics. Not wanting to discount a premium priced car but probably make a ton from people buying LifeShine packs, tyres/wipers and selling full price cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There not discounting it as there's no such thing as free money....aka 0% finance baloney.

just got approved for a loan :cool:

anybody selling any nice GTD or GTI for under 20k ?

Anthonylfc wrote: »

Hold on, I'm sure an orderly queue will form in here any minute now... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anthonylfc wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/

Price up bringing in a decent spec car from UK and see how far your less than 20k will go.

Price up bringing in a decent spec car from UK and see how far your less than 20k will go.

Looks like little damage here, runs and drives and has a key...loads of stolen recovered pop up on copart...could save a fortune.

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/27687189

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Looks like little damage here, runs and drives and has a key...loads of stolen recovered pop up on copart...could save a fortune.

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/27687189

Only guessing from the damage listing (secondary: all over) and the drivers footwell you can spot a little bit in a pic, but I think that was at potentially a quarter/half swimmer. Might be a lot of money to sort out the interior if that was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

dar83 wrote: »
    Only guessing from the damage listing (secondary: all over) and the drivers footwell you can spot a little bit in a pic, but I think that was at potentially a quarter/half swimmer. Might be a lot of money to sort out the interior if that was the case.

you reckon a front left clip ?, windscreen cracked there, and looks trim around the passenger door loose. The steering wheel looks off in this shot, but always impossible to tell in photos

a7452da8-92b1-47b9-85dd-f7a40bf12df4.JPG

Less than a thousand miles on that car. What a shame

This one got some smack

https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/53465278

if somebody was to buy that from ireland

would vrt be charged at auction winning price ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VRT is charged at what Revenue think the market value is of the car in Ireland. What you pay for the car in another country makes no difference to Revenue when it comes to VRT valuations.

There's a surcharge on the winning big, you'd have good grounds to appeal the amount or vrt you were charged. Your not going to get as much when you go to sell it so you need to take that into account when deciding what to pay.
    Keep pictures and receipts for any work done so you can show them to any prospective buyer in the future if there worried.

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »

There washing the cars before the pictures could be just a big pair of messy wellies done that.
    It does look like somebody tried to remove the head unit as the trim around it popped and they damaged the screen trying to pull it out.
    Gear knob and gator are probably on eBay at this stage...

bazz26 wrote: »
    VRT is charged at what Revenue think the market value is of the car in Ireland. What you pay for the car in another country makes no difference to Revenue when it comes to VRT valuations.

so you pay the sterling price and irish revenue decide 2018 golf gti is €35k so you'd pay 23 % on that ? sure thats like 8-10k depending on what they value it at then ur sterling coverted rate

then you have actually no idea whats wrong with it ?

pointless tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There washing the cars before the pictures could be just a big pair of messy wellies done that.

It looks just like the carpet in any stolen recovered car I've ever seen. Mats missing and absolutely filthy. Wouldn't make me think its flood damaged anyway.

Just has an unknown own quantity of scumbags climbing in and out of it and recovery truck drivers, storage ops, police etc, none of whom are anyway careful with it.

Back from driving the other Cupra. Your man kept saying there's a lot of interest in the car and told me he'd email me numbers when his manager is back so I don't even have ballpark numbers.

Said we can't offer what VW can etc but they have a 181 GTI PP front and center and a nice BMW. No shortage of expensive cars on the lot. A 191 estate Cupra there also.

I think that PP GTi is the one Joe inquired about. Having heard how he got on I wouldn't be getting my hopes up that they will offer you a good deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think that PP GTi is the one Joe inquired about. Having heard how he got on I wouldn't be getting my hopes up that they will offer you a good deal

It depends on approach too. I know some places aren't keen debating prices over the phone. Turning up and test driving etc might have a different outcome.

It depends on approach too. I know some places aren't keen debating prices over the phone. Turning up and test driving etc might have a different outcome.

Nope. I'm the other side of the country. I sent them photos of my car so they knew what they were dealing with. They had no problem talking prices over the phone, except it was a price so ludicrous it didn't warrant further conversation, never mind a 400km round trip.

The biggest problem for them is that the car is a fresh VW. They aren't a VW dealer and cannot offer a deal or finance terms on it that a VW dealer can.

I spoke to Pilsen Skoda about a 172 Cupra with 40k on it for €32,950. Offered me 18k for mine, didn't even get to a test drive. Spent ages looking at my car then came back with €4xx scribbled on paper. Nothing about how much mine was worth, APR, minimum value etc. Complete waste of time, high mileage and not priced well compared to the others.

Gave me the usual "we're not VW we can't offer the same" and told him I had an offer of 21,5k from a non-VW dealer which quickly stopped his excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

Hi all - I know this has come up so often - but just looking for some real world up to date info on your consumption figures in your DSG GTIs and GTDs? In particular if anyone has data from the 7.5 performance (245hp) version of the GTI.

My current car - a Peugeot 508 SW 2.0 HDI 163hp Auto has a long term average of 7.6l/100kms (37mpg) - with a mixture of a lot of short spins, school runs etc, and then at least one long run a month of up to 1000kms round trip. I average approx 20k - 25k kms per year - and I'd say I have a generous right foot!
    I'd expect the GTD to be a little better, and the GTI to be more than a little worse (by how much is the question!).

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think most people get ~35-40mpg from a GTI depending on the driving you're doing. It'll probably be a fairly low mpg (under 30) with lots of those short trips but you'd probably get closer to 40 on a long journey like that.

By comparison though, I'd expect the GTD to be not a huge amount better on short trips but probably closer to 50mpg on a 1000km round trip.

35-40? If you lived on cruise control and only used N roads and Motorways maybe. If most of your driving is short trips and urban, you'll be lucky to see 30.

Yeah, that's why I said it depended on the driving and on the shorter trips that he's doing, it'd be under 30.

I think it's closer to 30-35mpg, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a pre facelift manual PP. I'm getting 22-24 for nearly exclusively city driving.

They'll drink it if you're exclusively city stop-starting. But with a mix of driving, N roads, motorways, not doing silly speeds or traffic light GP's, you'll easily average 34-35.

Averaging 33mpg driving it the way it was intended in mixed conditions. Hasn't been out of sport mode in a few weeks. Averages 40mpg on the motorway,172 standard facelift manual.
    My diesel used to average 39mpg under the same conditions so it's not that bad in comparison.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement