Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

I've a mk7 GTD have it 3 years and my long term is 47-49mpg and I drive it hard alot of the time. Air conditioning is always turned on too. Some journeys on the short time computer is get 57mpg and when its drove hard for a short journey I'm get 38mpg minimum

I'm currently looking around for either a year old facelifted GTD or the GTI and I cant make my mind up, I'd love a petrol but I'm afraid will it break me with the extra fuel price and the amount it burns through it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

33-35mpg is 8-8.5L/100km. That's not great on paper but realistically it doesn't seem too bad. I get 6.4-6.8 in the 1 litre. A 25% increase for more than double the power seems ok

You'd want to be realistic though, you're going to drive with a heavy foot when you can in something like a GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2014-vw-golf-2-0-tdi-gtd-184/20457742

Does this seem a bit to good to be true ?

€13300 for a 2014 GTD

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

It does seem quite low alright. It does have nearly 200,000km which is a lot but going by the advert, it has been regularly serviced so the mileage wouldn't necessarily put me off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Autocar has shown pictures of what the mark 8 is supposed to look like.. 7.75 ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jesus, that rendering is just terrible and lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Talk about middle age spread! That's a very bloated flabby-looking Golf.

Bordering on downright ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Don't think the colour helps either. I see VW are sticking with the fake exhaust like the rest of the VAG range. It's enough to put me off ever buying their cars by that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Wailin wrote: »
    Don't think the colour helps either. I see VW are sticking with the fake exhaust like the rest of the VAG range. It's enough to put me off ever buying their cars by that alone.

Agree. Hate seeing that on cars.

• Advertisement

Agree. Hate seeing that on cars.

Agreed. I'd rather have nothing and it not pretend to be an exhaust port. Is it meant to look good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is it even meant to be a fake exhaust any more or is it just a styling detail in the lower bumper? It's just a chrome bead looped at the ends.

Is it even meant to be a fake exhaust any more or is it just a styling detail in the lower bumper? It's just a chrome bead looped at the ends.

Considering how far they're placed to the sides of the bumper I'd say they aren't trying to pass off as fake exhausts. Even on the 7.5, although they're in the place of a dual exhaust they really aren't trying to pass off as one. It gives a nice symmetrical clean look to the bumper as opposed to a little exhaust poking out on one side. Also the wide/flat shape doesn't lend itself to a good look for an exhaust IMO.

They're somewhat similar in design and position of the front fogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

They are definitely trying to pass off as twin exhausts, it's on practically all the lower powered vag models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Practically every manufacturer has at least 2 or 3 cars in the range with fake exhausts its a joke. God bless the car wow stick of truth:D

tossy wrote: »
    Practically every manufacturer has at least 2 or 3 cars in the range with fake exhausts its a joke. God bless the car wow stick of truth:D

BMW might have started with some awful surrounds but at least they aren't doing fake exhausts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

tossy wrote: »

There's certain Mercedes that have the fake chrome look on either side but they're not completely fake, they just look absolutely shíte when you're right behind them and you can see the actual little exhaust pipe recessed inside them. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Has anyone managed to disable the keyless entry and use only the buttons on the fob ? And still be able to start the car as it has no key slot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

VCDS is needed to permanently disable it but you can temporarily disable it by locking with the button on the key and then pressing the indentation on the outside of the door handle within 6 seconds of locking it. This disables keyless entry, only opening by a button press for a single lock/unlock sequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ondafly wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to disable the keyless entry and use only the buttons on the fob ? And still be able to start the car as it has no key slot ?

Haven't tried it but if you pop the key cover on the door the car should start if opened with the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    VCDS is needed to permanently disable it but you can temporarily disable it by locking with the button on the key and then pressing the indentation on the outside of the door handle within 6 seconds of locking it. This disables keyless entry, only opening by a button press for a single lock/unlock sequence.

Excellent- I'll take a look at VCDS for it. Family member had their keyless entry car removed the other night.

Haven't tried it but if you pop the key cover on the door the car should start if opened with the key.

thats good to know.

• Advertisement

Why would you want to remove such a handy and cool feature after specing it? Paranoia about theft?

Why would you want to remove such a handy and cool feature after specing it? Paranoia about theft?

The second question in your post is why I avoid it to begin with. :D

However, I can see it's benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yes I cannot understand it either my own car has it and it's so handy! If only their was such a thing called car insurance to cover a theft!!!!!

dar83 wrote: »
    The second question in your post is why I avoid it to begin with. :D

However, I can see it's benefits.

I think it’s complete paranoia to disabling or not getting nice feature like this because of fearing theft. It’s one step up from getting worried about a “white van seen in area trying to snatch children” post on Facebook.

I’d say the number of cars stolen (if any really have) due to being keyless is absolutely tiny and not something to worry about. I’m disappointed the car I’m currently buying doesn’t have it but being second had I don’t have the option to add it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

A friend of mine recently bought a new car, their first with keyless entry, he was shocked to learn about how easy theft is possible, now places the key in a faraday bag every night.

I’ve seen a tonne of high performance cars being stolen this way on the stolen cars UK Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I think it’s complete paranoia to disabling or not getting nice feature like this because of fearing theft. It’s one step up from getting worried about a “white van seen in area trying to snatch children” post on Facebook.

I’d say the number of cars stolen (if any really have) due to being keyless is absolutely tiny and not something to worry about. I’m disappointed the car I’m currently buying doesn’t have it but being second had I don’t have the option to add it.

It's far more common than you think.

I think it really depends on where you live, how visible your car might be and if you have had previous 'interest' in your car/cars. It's not completely paranoia when you know someone has been sniffing around your stuff before, so if making things more awkward for them helps you sleep at night then I'm all for it.

I don't disagree the feature is great, but at the same time I have no issues with the inconvenience of using a key either. It's not often my hands are full approaching the locked car anyway, so to me the peace of mind outweighs the benefits. For others, that's obviously not the case. To each their own. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Had keyless in 2 MK7's. I wouldn't be too bothered if I never had it again... the one nice part with it is the push button start. The rest I could live without.
    2 things in the VW implementation used to bug me:
    - you still get the regular key with the flip blade. Dealers managed to scratch my steering column plastics poking around looking for the ignition barrel! So I taped down the key blade after that.
    - you couldn't wash the car with the keys on you without constantly locking/unlocking the car accidentally...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

JoeA3 wrote: »
    - you couldn't wash the car with the keys on you without constantly locking/unlocking the car accidentally...

This is quite annoying alright

The only thing I'd actually want from keyless is the push button start. I'm not too pushed about having to press the button on the key to lock/unlock the car. Then again, I suppose you could say the same about putting the key in the ignition.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I had a rental with keyless and found it so handy leaving the key in my pocket all the time and never having to take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Keyless entry is great and I would always spec it. The only annoying thing for me is the batteries drain stupidly fast.

The best part of keyless is definitely the push button start. As convenient as it is being able to lock the car with hands full of shopping bags, I could live without locking with the door handle. I usually use the fob when leaving work anyway.

It's a shame it's not more common as I find it feels more up to date. Plus it means the keys aren't rattling around on the steering column or your knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lots of cars have keyless push button start without having keyless entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Making my way through the thread but has anyone a list of things to check when looking at/test drive a used GTI? Heading to have a look at one tomorrow and want to give it a good once over. It's in a dealer so unlikely to be much wrong with it but still.

I already know to check for any leaks in the boot, make sure the petrol cap unlocks right (have had those issues myself) but wondering if there's any common stuff to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

theintern wrote: »
    Making my way through the thread but has anyone a list of things to check when looking at/test drive a used GTI? Heading to have a look at one tomorrow and want to give it a good once over. It's in a dealer so unlikely to be much wrong with it but still.

I already know to check for any leaks in the boot, make sure the petrol cap unlocks right (have had those issues myself) but wondering if there's any common stuff to check.

What year is it?
    What is the mileage?

everlast75 wrote: »
    What year is it?
    What is the mileage?

2016, low mileage, ~20k miles. Very little to worry about I know but just curious is there anything I might miss bar the usual, wheels, tyres, any creaks or rattles etc.

2016, low mileage, ~20k miles. Very little to worry about I know but just curious is there anything I might miss bar the usual, wheels, tyres, any creaks or rattles etc.

There couldn't be much more to know that I haven't already told you :P:pac:

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There couldn't be much more to know that I haven't already told you :P:pac:

Haha definitely.

A few bits and pieces that Joe (our resident Golf encyclopedia) has imparted in case others are looking. A few things to check to see if the car has been well looked after and a few other general things.

- Check alloys for and scuffs or marks
    - Check exhaust to see how filthy/clean it is
    - Check for any front suspension noise
    - Are the seat bolsters in good nick?
    - Check has it DCC (mode button, and comfort as one of the modes)
    - Look under good light for any scrapes/dings down the sides
    - Take a good look at the paint for scrapes/small scratches to see if it was washed right
    - Is App Connect enabled (for post 152 models)
    - Tread on tyres
    - Leaks in wheel well in boot
    - Fuel door locks and unlocks with key (though this seems to have only been an early mk7 problem)

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    App Connect wasn't widely available till March/April 2016 and was a cost extra, wasn't standard till 162, so don't expect it to be there on a 161 unless someone was stupid enough to pay €300 for it ( like me :pac: )

And me...

Any car with the MIB2 Nav unit can have it activated... so it might be a good one to ask the dealer for as a sweetener if buying...

OSI wrote: »
    During a test drive I would activate and test the functionality of the Adaptive Cruise, very expensive to put right if it's acting up.
    If you're going DSG, make sure it moves up and down the gears smoothly. If you find the car bucking or hesitating, especially at low speeds, there's likely an issue. In saying that the current iteration seems to be relatively trouble free.
    Pop it into reverse and make sure the rear view camera works, heard of a few the motors going in them.
    App Connect wasn't widely available till March/April 2016 and was a cost extra, wasn't standard till 162, so don't expect it to be there on a 161 unless someone was stupid enough to pay €300 for it ( like me :pac: )
    Also, for some strange reason people have an odd obsession with stealing the sat nav SD card out of the glove box when trading in their car, just make sure it's there and the maps load.

Some great stuff in there.

This one is a 162 so hopefully it's activated, if not I'll be asking to have it included.

I would never have thought of the sat nav sd card, or the centre caps on the wheels, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Some great stuff in there.

This one is a 162 so hopefully it's activated, if not I'll be asking to have it included.

I would never have thought of the sat nav sd card, or the centre caps on the wheels, cheers!

If the car has discover pro, i.e the bigger screen there won't be an SD card and app connect is enabled as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Irish car?

If buying from a main dealer, you are mostly covered anyway but there are a few niggles to consider.

There's a few bits to consider with them mechanically IMO but they are probably only things you need to be aware of if buying internationally or from a non franchise seller.

Someone on here recently with a GTD had issues with the coolant sludging I think. This is becoming increasingly common and isn't exclusive to the diesels, any model with life long coolant can (and do) suffer. Symptoms are low heat output in the cabin and dirty or discoloured coolant so make sure the coolant is a fresh light pink colour and that the cabin heaters get good and hot.

leaking coolant pumps/ thermostat housings are popular too but there's no real way to check for this pre purchase as the pump is buried in the engine bay and leaks are usually very gradual, but no harm to make sure the coolant level is correct.

All multimedia control unit units, both pre and post facelift can be subject to various glitches, most can be solved with simple software updates but just make sure the infotainment, bluetooth, park pilot and nav work correctly, fluidly and are responsive to touch and aren't doing anything unexpected.

Keyfob batterys don't last very long in these cars, whether they have keyless entry or not, the batterys only seem to last 2 years ish tops, they are cheap and easy to replace but again i'd just make sure both keys are working at test drive. The engine start button on keyless cars can fail too, so make sure one gentle press of the button starts the car, having to push the button hard or more than once is a sign of failure on the way but again, these buttons are a cheap easy replacement.

If looking at a DSG car, make sure there is no juddering/ shuddering or squeaking noises when taking off or changing gear or this could be indicative of excessive wear on the clutch pack, they aren't particularly prone to this, but if it's seen hard driving previously it's a possibility. I'd also make sure to shift in and out of park a good few times as the park lock switches in the selector can fail, it won't leave you stranded but it does put a warning light on the dashboard for the gearbox.

The high beam assist modules located in the rear view mirror are prone to failure too, so activate the high beam assist by pushing forward the light stalk (even on a day time test drive) as once the system is activated, even when not in use, the fault will show up on the dashboard if the module is faulty.

The foam gasket around the rear door speaks can crumble and fail which lets rainwater leak into the rear passenger footwells, this isn't too common but it does happen so I'd just make sure the rear carpets are dry and the rear speakers are working. While you're back there make sure the center rear air vent works and the controls are in place, it's more popular in family wagon Golfs than performance models but the positioning of the vent means kids with little legs kick the little directional adjusters off the vents and they then get swallowed down into the vent.

The window switches are made from chocolate too so make sure they all work and make sure that one touch works for both front windows. Sometimes all they need is to be re calibrated but the mechanism in the switch can fail too, you should feel the switch clicking firmly at each activation, if the switch feels vague or loose, it's knackered.

Looks like a long list, but none are huge issues (bar maybe the coolant issues) and most can be easily rectified, even DIY.

Performance pack models are due a diff oil change every 4 years regardless of mileage, so that might be a good throw in to get if you are looking at 2016-ish models. The first brake fluid change is due at 3 years old too, so i'd make sure a 2016 car has had this done. The DSG oil change interval on the 7 speed is a lot longer at 120k kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had to unfortunately drive ~400 km around the Netherlands yesterday in a rented Nissan Qashqai... Jesus was I glad to sit back into my GTI this morning!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Great advice there TFB, are you a VAG tech/sales man?

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Great advice there TFB, are you a VAG tech/sales man?

neither, thankfully :pac:

I'd be very taken aback if a salesman had any knowledge to that degree...

You'd often wonder how salesmen make it to work in the mornings. I've a few good friends in sales. Fancy watch, Pringle socks, Geordie shore hair doo, but the lights are on and nobody's home. They'll approach you looking a million dollars and smelling like a Hollister store and then ask you how do you know how many spokes an alloy wheel has or something. You have to marvel at what they do though, it's a way of life, I couldn't hack it now personally.

You'd often wonder how salesmen make it to work in the mornings. I've a few good friends in sales. Fancy watch, Pringle socks, Geordie shore hair doo, but the lights are on and nobody's home. They'll approach you looking a million dollars and smelling like a Hollister store and then ask you how do you know how many spokes an alloy wheel has or something. You have to marvel at what they do though, it's a way of life, I couldn't hack it now personally.

The ears on every Audi salesman in the country are burning :D

Bet-on tight shiny suit... pointy brown shoes... ice white teeth :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement