Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

There’s damage on the back wing, there seems to be a slight variation in colour on the passenger doors, the wheels need a refurb and the front end seems remarkably fresh for the high mileage I don’t think you’re getting any great bargain there tbh.

Ahh crap

Thanks for the heads up

Wont be pursuing this car

There’s damage on the back wing, there seems to be a slight variation in colour on the passenger doors, the wheels need a refurb and the front end seems remarkably fresh for the high mileage I don’t think you’re getting any great bargain there tbh.

Really appreciate that , i can’t even see them issues
    Shows how easy people can be deceived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's not a reason not to pursue it, a bit or paint is to be expected on a used car as I said before it's the reason it was painted you need to figure out. For cosmetic reasons then it doesn't matter.
    Take it to a pro to look over it, if you don't know any garages in the area take it to GTi direct in kylemore.
    What the price around 13? It's not far off its value. Have a look at used cars NI and see whats on offer if you cross the border. Spotted a red one with less than 100,000 on it with leather and xeon lights in fleetwise I think...probably standing you the same once the vrt is paid and it would qualify for a mapfre warranty if you were worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

A 6 year old Golf with 100k+ miles is going to have some paintwork "wear and tear". Likewise, those diamond cut wheels don't stand up to much either, a wheel refurb would be par for the course on a car with half that mileage.

I'm fussy but I really have to strain my eyes to see the cosmetic issues mentioned above. A few low-res DoneDeal photos is not a great way to analyse a car's overall condition.

It's the mechanicals I'd be more worried about, if those stand up to scrutiny and the price is right...

That's not a reason not to pursue it, a bit or paint is to be expected on a used car as I said before it's the reason it was painted you need to figure out. For cosmetic reasons then it doesn't matter.
    Take it to a pro to look over it, if you don't know any garages in the area take it to GTi direct in kylemore.
    What the price around 13? It's not far off its value. Have a look at used cars NI and see whats on offer if you cross the border. Spotted a red one with less than 100,000 on it with leather and xeon lights in fleetwise I think...probably standing you the same once the vrt is paid and it would qualify for a mapfre warranty if you were worried.

Its 13950

On drivers door it looked like something inside banged a tiny bulge outwards , didnt break the paint

Wheels looked great in flesh , one vw emblem was corroded , said he sprayed some cleaner stuff on it and it corroded the emblem but would replace it

How do i find if its never been crashed ?

6 years old im not expecting 100 % new condition but i want to make sure its sound

If i give the registration here , anybody able to check ?

His reply

What sort of 12 month "warranty" does one get for 200 quid...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

His reply

I would recommend not conducting negotiations via text.

If you are interested in the car, take the car to an independent assessor and ask him to check into it.

They can check crash history, service history and confirm that the car is solid.

Any guarantee with the car should be in writing.

I'd respectfully suggest you are doing things in a piecemeal fashion. If you want the car, but want to be careful too, then make a list of things to do and do all of them.

(If I have missed any other steps, other more knowledgeable folk here will add further advice)

You can only sell a car without a warranty to someone in the motor trade, even if he gives you a piece of paper that says no warranty you still have a warranty under consumer law.

I'd second the text thing, that's kinda private between the two of you, don't think it's right to be posting up messages especially if your trying to do a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Besides running reg checks your first item should be to open up the glove box and find the service schedule (see below)

It’ll tell you where the delivery inspection was carried out and then be stamped at service intervals, with main dealer being the preferred option especially for the first 3 years while it would have been under VW warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

No car salesman will take you serious if you cannot pick up a phone and talk to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You can only sell a car without a warranty to someone in the motor trade, even if he gives you a piece of paper that says no warranty you still have a warranty under consumer law.

I agree, but it'd be nigh on impossible to enforce though without self harm levels of stress.

I agree with the above OP, conducting this over text, he said she said opinions etc, not a good way to do this deal if you want him to take you seriously.

- Check service history - free
    - Carry out motorcheck report - €35
    - Consider getting an inspection done - €50-75

If you are spending €13k cash, that'll be the best €100 you'll ever spend.

Do those checks, if you're then confident in the car, you can meet the seller and tell him face to face the price you'll pay, as you'll be sure in yourself and sure in the car.

As it stands a Mk7 GTD is a fairly saleable car, so the salesman probably won't feel the need to entertain stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

thinking of going for a mk7 diesel at the moment, either 1.6 or gtd.

currently driving a 2009 Passat cc gt, love it but the tax is 570 and annoys me. plus I don't need a big boot at the moment, im guessing the mpg would be better on the 1.6 than im getting now (which isn't too bad).

I do about 20k miles a year currently, cars at 135k miles now.

is buying a diesel car now mental, as its future is kinda up in the air? is there a possibility that diesels will literally have no resale value in enxt few years?!

Rob

copeyhagen wrote: »
    is buying a diesel car now mental, as its future is kinda up in the air? is there a possibility that diesels will literally have no resale value in enxt few years?!

No, that won't happen.

If you travel long distance, there is no viable alternative to diesel at present or in the pipeline.

Any car you buy now will depreciate over the coming years anyway, a €20k car today will be a €5-6k car in 5 years time regardless of anything, even if the arse fell out of diesel and it was a €2-3k car, the hit isn't that big, you've had your use from it as such.

My missus has a 1.6 Mk7 that she drives like Ken Block most of the time and it's average over 110k kms is 4.5l/100km. If getting a Mk7 it has to be a Highline or a GTD, the other trim levels are a bit meh in them.

I agree, but it'd be nigh on impossible to enforce though without self harm levels of stress.

Tell me about I bought a lemon was fine on motorcheck and service history checked out, broke down on the way home and once it went up on a ramp could see the extent of the previous damaged. One of the local Guards got onto the guard at the accident and he couldn't believe the car made it back on the road. A lot of stress and time to get the money back.
    Lesson learned, get it checked out properly first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Have a VW on order...trying to track it's whereabouts. Been told by my dealer it's on a ship on it's way from South Africa to Germany. I asked what ship it was on and I was told that "VW do not communicate the name of the ship to the dealers". All the lads in the UK seem to be able to tell exactly which ship their car is on. Is the dealer spoofing?

I think the UK folks get that info through "track my order", which Irish dealers don't offer.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order

The name of the ship hasn't really much relevance to the salesman, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has no idea, bar "it's in transit".

fletch wrote: »
    Have a VW on order...trying to track it's whereabouts. Been told by my dealer it's on a ship on it's way from South Africa to Germany. I asked what ship it was on and I was told that "VW do not communicate the name of the ship to the dealers". All the lads in the UK seem to be able to tell exactly which ship their car is on. Is the dealer spoofing?

Ive a VW on order myself so would also be interested to know if it’s possible to track this kind of stuff (as it’s been on order since November)

I remembering reading on here that the UK is much easier to check apparently once you get a ref number from the dealer you can check yourself on the VW website, but they don’t offer the same service in Ireland.

Someone did suggest try getting a ‘comm’ number from the dealer then ringing VW Ireland.

VW are having serious delay issues due to WLTP and from what I’ve heard VW aren’t doing them any favors in terms of providing solid delivery dates to dealers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Can normally get the boat name for the Emden to Dublin part of the journey, but not sure about the journey to Emden as never been asked for that.

Amarok by any chance? Not sure what's built in SA

• Advertisement

I bought a car from Skoda years ago and they were able to tell me which ship it was on so surprised VW can't now.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Can normally get the boat name for the Emden to Dublin part of the journey, but not sure about the journey to Emden as never been asked for that.

Amarok by any chance? Not sure what's built in SA
    Polo

Polo

Didn't know the Polo was built there! Not something I have a lot of inquiries on though.

There have been all sorts of delays recently, for no apparent reason, and that's on European built stuff, so further delays on stuff coming that far isn't surprising.

Ask the dealer is Nadine is showing an ETA date yet - that will let them know you've a fair idea of the process.

Ask the dealer is Nadine is showing an ETA date yet - that will let them know you've a fair idea of the process.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what does Nadine mean?

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but what does Nadine mean?

Nadine is the VW ordering system that recently replaced Nadcon which they'd been using for many years.

Nadine is the VW ordering system that recently replaced Nadcon which they'd been using for many years.

Cheers thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Sounds more like a 27 year old MILF..:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I bought a car from Skoda years ago and they were able to tell me which ship it was on so surprised VW can't now.

Salesperson I bought from in Skoda was terrible... could not tell me ship either. I think it depends on the person. They only use 2-3 ships from Germany so it is possible to figure out which one your car made it on to... usually the one a few days after it left the factory.

Polo GTI?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Salesperson I bought from in Skoda was terrible... could not tell me ship either. I think it depends on the person. They only use 2-3 ships from Germany so it is possible to figure out which one your car made it on to... usually the one a few days after it left the factory.
    Yeh I think with some digging, the salesperson could find out if they were bothered. I've been waiting over 5 months at this stage so I would kind of like a bit more information now that the delivery is getting closer.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Polo GTI?
    Yeh :)

No, that won't happen.

If you travel long distance, there is no viable alternative to diesel at present or in the pipeline.

Any car you buy now will depreciate over the coming years anyway, a €20k car today will be a €5-6k car in 5 years time regardless of anything, even if the arse fell out of diesel and it was a €2-3k car, the hit isn't that big, you've had your use from it as such.

My missus has a 1.6 Mk7 that she drives like Ken Block most of the time and it's average over 110k kms is 4.5l/100km. If getting a Mk7 it has to be a Highline or a GTD, the other trim levels are a bit meh in them.

Viewing the car again now in a few mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeh I think with some digging, the salesperson could find out if they were bothered. I've been waiting over 5 months at this stage so I would kind of like a bit more information now that the delivery is getting closer.
    Yeh :)

Did you ordered Polo gti? Is there even any demo models in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Did you ordered Polo gti? Is there even any demo models in Ireland.
    Yeh I ordered a Polo GTI....there wasn't a demo car when I ordered and I don't believe there are any in the country. There is a (black) press car going around but I haven't had a spin in it or even seen it.

Nice, you won't see too many Polo GTI's around.

What kind of spec did you order? I looked at the spec sheets for them ages ago and one thing that jumped out was, you don't get LED headlights nor are they even in the options list, which is unfortunate imo...

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nice, you won't see too many Polo GTI's around.

What kind of spec did you order? I looked at the spec sheets for them ages ago and one thing that jumped out was, you don't get LED headlights nor are they even in the options list, which is unfortunate imo...
    Yeh I assumed the LEDs were standard...so did the saleman...but luckily I noticed them as an option in an updated brochure and specc'd them. Spec is as follows
    • White
    • 18" Bresicas
    • Tech Pack
        Lights and Vision Package
      • Separate daytime running light with automatic headlight control and Coming Home feature
      • Breakaway interior rearview mirror, auto-dimming
      • Windshield wiper intermittent control with light/rain sensor
    • Rear View Camera
    • Active Info Display
    • Folding Mirrors
    [*]2-Zone Climatronic
    [*]LED headlights
    [*]Heated Front Seats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Savage stuff fletch, i bet you're like a kid at christmas.

Bought the GTD 132

Saw it again , had a mechanic there ( good one )

No damage on it

He had a full cartel report etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Congratulations!

Best of luck with her :)

How did you fare on the warranty question?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I looked at the spec sheets for them ages ago and one thing that jumped out was, you don't get LED headlights nor are they even in the options list, which is unfortunate imo...

That is one thing that is fairly lousy alright especially when you get them standard on the GTI/GTD/R. It's something that completes the look of the front end of the car in my opinion and it's definitely a pricey option.

Well wear on the Polo GTI too!

everlast75 wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Best of luck with her :)

How did you fare on the warranty question?

Full comprehensive warranty by the garage itself

Few quid off etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yeh I assumed the LEDs were standard...so did the saleman...but luckily I noticed them as an option in an updated brochure and specc'd them. Spec is as follows
    • White
    • 18" Bresicas
    • Tech Pack
      • Separate daytime running light with automatic headlight control and Coming Home feature
    • Rear View Camera
    • Active Info Display
    • Folding Mirrors
    [*]2-Zone Climatronic
    [*]LED headlights
    [*]Heated Front Seats

Well wear, this will be a very nice car. I specced one up similar to this with metallic and it came to nearly €38k, the price will put it out of reach for many who would like to buy one.

Full comprehensive warranty by the garage itself

Few quid off etc

Has the timing belt been changed? Car is 6 years old so is overdue if it has not, it would be the first job on the list if so.

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Has the timing belt been changed? Car is 6 years old so is overdue if it has not, it would be the first job on the list if so.

Has been done

But warranty covers things like that anyway ?

Good that it has been done, I presume you have paperwork to prove?

No warranty does not cover service items, you are responsible keeping the service history up to date.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Good that it has been done, I presume you have paperwork to prove?

No warranty does not cover service items, you are responsible keeping the service history up to date.

Yeah showed me all paperwork today

Been serviced 5 times since new all by vw dealers and stamped aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

• White
    • 18" Bresicas
    • Tech Pack
    • Rear View Camera
    • Active Info Display
    • Folding Mirrors
    [*]2-Zone Climatronic
    [*]LED headlights
    [*]Heated Front Seats

Nice, congrats on ordering something like that. A rare car is a cool car(most of the time:))

What is a breakaway interior rear view mirror?

Has been done

But warranty covers things like that anyway ?

A warranty does not cover wear and tear or service items... I expect you've gotten an "engine and gearbox" warranty - the bare minimum, which means you're on your own for anything else!

The spec on the Polo sounds great fletch, that'll be a class and very rare little machine!

A warranty does not cover wear and tear or service items... I expect you've gotten an "engine and gearbox" warranty - the bare minimum, which means you're on your own for anything else!

The spec on the Polo sounds great fletch, that'll be a class and very rare little machine!

I’ve volkswagen since 2000 and they can go forever

Just hope mine is like that ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Everyday's a school day, yet to experience that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Congrats on the Polo, new model is a lovely car. GTI would be a nice little beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

• White
    • 18" Bresicas
    • Tech Pack
    • Rear View Camera
    • Active Info Display
    • Folding Mirrors
    [*]2-Zone Climatronic
    [*]LED headlights
    [*]Heated Front Seats

Nice! Really considered one myself but went for a VRS in the end. Were you able to get much of a discount?

• Advertisement

SaintsYB wrote: »
    That is one thing that is fairly lousy alright especially when you get them standard on the GTI/GTD/R. It's something that completes the look of the front end of the car in my opinion and it's definitely a pricey option.

Well wear on the Polo GTI too!
    Agreed...was surprised the standard car came with halogens. With the GTI, the red stripe continues into the LEDs but doesn't with the halogens so changes the look a lot. The Irish press car didn't get LEDs! https://www.carzone.ie/reviews/new-car-reviews/Volkswagen/Polo/2018/647/
    Capture.jpgCapture2.jpg
    MidMan25 wrote: »
    Nice! Really considered one myself but went for a VRS in the end. Were you able to get much of a discount?
    ~5%
    vintagevrs wrote: »
    Nice, congrats on ordering something like that. A rare car is a cool car(most of the time:))
    Thanks! Yeh it's nice driving something you don't see everyday
    Thanks. I keep my cars a long time (current car I have nearly 8yrs from new) so don't feel it's money wasted on spec
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Congrats on the Polo, new model is a lovely car. GTI would be a nice little beast.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement