Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Those headlights should be standard. Makes the car look 10 times better from the front.

Speaking of rare cars, spotted an interesting ad today. An R wagon for sale in Mayo!

The ad reckons there might be only 2 in the country and he might not be too far off...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/152-volkswagen-golf-r-estate/21500030

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Any new GTi with halogen headlights in this day and age is sacrilege. You'd think they'd just make them standard at this stage. Fair dues for ticking that box.

I wonder will a new Ibiza Cupra ever come to fruition? My wife has a 181 Ibiza and they are quite a spacious car these days being the same chassis as the Polo, i'd say there's very little between them and a MK5 Golf.

theintern wrote: »
    Those headlights should be standard. Makes the car look 10 times better from the front.

Speaking of rare cars, spotted an interesting ad today. An R wagon for sale in Mayo!

The ad reckons there might be only 2 in the country and he might not be too far off...

That was only sold recently, it was brought in by a guy from Conneamara, he is active on backroads.ie.

No doubt a very capable car but I can't warm to the estate shape of a Golf. Those number plates are pure muck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

hooch-85 wrote: »
    That was only sold recently, it was bought in by a guy from Conneamara, he is active on backroads.ie.

No doubt a very capable car but I can't warm to the estate shape of a Golf. Those number plates are pure muck too.

Totally agree to be honest, I just spotted a good few people on here talking about them when I slogged through the whole thread last month. I can't understand the appeal. I saw a good few in the UK last week and I think they make what is (imo) already a too understated car look even less sporty.

If it was only sold recently that would explain why he has brand new pretoria reps that have never been fitted. Ever since I found out how cheap they were as an option I shake my head in disbelief every time I see an R without them.

You might not believe this but that wagon came with 19" Prets and the owner swapped them for 18" Cadiz as he felt the 19s would be too harsh for Connemara roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Certain reps are actually stronger than the OEM prets believe it or not. I can't understand how someone would swap prets for Cadiz though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

theintern wrote: »

there is a blue one around cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That was only sold recently, it was brought in by a guy from Conneamara, he is active on backroads.ie.

Yeah it belonged to "Foyler" on Backroads. He sold it for similar money about 6-8 months ago! So the guy who bought it is offloading it again pretty quickly. The ad says 1 previous owner... it's had at least 2.

Likewise, the estate proportions don't work at all for me on a Golf sized car. Far too much flabby overhang over the rear wheels. It's too long relative to its narrow width. Strangely, SEAT do a much better job of it with the Cupra, somehow disguising the odd proportions better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Has anyone re-mapped an R or GTI? What are the options available?

In Ireland, its either Revo (Daltons Portlaoise) or custom remap from the likes of Joe Power (TDR Performance) or AP Performance in Galway, both have proper dyno's and are not to be mistaken with the gangsters in carparks with laptops promising big gains for small money. In my experience a proper custom map costs in the region of €350 -€450.

More options up North alright, Torque Tronix seem to have a good reputation up there.

Imo, with our fuel quality being so crap here, i'd be more inclined to go down the custom remap route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How about APR up north, will all these do in your warranty on the engine?

How about APR up north, will all these do in your warranty on the engine?

I assume so, I have a year left and am considering it for then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea I've a little over a year left as well, might trade it in when I see the MK8 or new S3 and don't want to mess up the warranty in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

mloc123 wrote: »
    Daltons in Laois quoted me 800 euro for a Revo remap on my VRS245. Power output up from 245bhp to 300bhp approx and mid range torque increased. That's for software and installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Daltons in Laois quoted me 800 euro for a Revo remap on my VRS245. Power output up from 245bhp to 300bhp approx and mid range torque increased. That's for software and installation.

In general, how do insurance companies react to remaps? Is there much of a difference in the premium?

MidMan25 wrote: »

Seems expensive, but with Revo you are getting a tried and tested product. It's the R&D costs that you are contributing too. At the same time it will transform the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Seems expensive, but with Revo you are getting a tried and tested product. It's the R&D costs that you are contributing too. At the same time it will transform the car.

And in fairness to Daltons, they are great value for everything else & really know their stuff so I doubt they're whacking an unnecessary margin on top - not the most friendly fella in the world but you go there for the work not the chat.

I was in no way knocking Daltons. The Revo pricing is transparent, it's on their site in GBP, Daltons charge the equivalent in Eur with the VAT on top.

They are also Racingline (VWR) agents and I hope to order a set of springs from them in the near future, they are offering decent prices for supply and fitting.

not the most friendly fella in the world but you go there for the work not the chat.

:D

Which fella is that ? that lad with the beard and glasses ? He's an awful lad - always trying to spend my money when i go down on lovely Racing line brakes. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

tossy wrote: »

Which fella is that ? that lad with the beard and glasses ? He's an awful lad - always trying to spend my money when i go down on lovely Racing line brakes. :D

Haha George I'm talking about, younger guy is sound though.

• Advertisement

Haha George I'm talking about, younger guy is sound though.

They are all sound in fairness, busy though perhaps so have to keep moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

tossy wrote: »

380mm Revo Alcon's is what you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

They are also Racingline (VWR) agents and I hope to order a set of springs from them in the near future, they are offering decent prices for supply and fitting.

How much did they quote you out of interest?

€419. The springs on their own are €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looking to order two Pilot Sport 4s, seems to be €25 per tyre fitting in West Dublin area. I was expecting €15-20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Always worth shopping around but regulations around disposing/recycling of old tyres has changed in the last year or two so it's not as cheap to get rid of old tyres as it used to be. Some places price this into the cost of their new tyres but if they are fitting tyres bought elsewhere then they probably have to pass the charge onto the customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I used Tourque Tronics on my last Golf R. Definitely power increase but I’d go to Joe Power if I was doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I'm considering the remap soon. My car is only a year old but I've put nearly 30k on it already. Daltons told me they could put it back to stock if I ever needed to get warranty work done. I'd like to think any major issues that would be covered by warranty would have surfaced by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Looking to order two Pilot Sport 4s, seems to be €25 per tyre fitting in West Dublin area. I was expecting €15-20?

Just ordered my first set of pilot sport 4s and waiting to have them fitted. Got them sent ot a one man operation who says I have to wait a week to get them done ffs.
    Looking forward to see if there is much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Just ordered my first set of pilot sport 4s and waiting to have them fitted. Got them sent ot a one man operation who says I have to wait a week to get them done ffs.
    Looking forward to see if there is much of a difference.

Would it be fair to ask where and how much did they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Would it be fair to ask where and how much did they cost?

Fair but pointless. Ordered for the dutch market. e104 each but getting them fitted is a pain like most auto stuff here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

Fair but pointless. Ordered for the dutch market. e104 each but getting them fitted is a pain like most auto stuff here.

saved close to nothing really so, i got quoted 130-150 per tyre inc fitting for mine, maybe a little aving but done in 15 min or less and zero hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

I never had problems getting my tyres I bought online fitted, they've always been 18 inch or 19 inch and has only varied from €10-15 to fit and balance. Some tyre fitting shops have the fitting prices on some of the websites so when you buy the tyres and I get them sent straight to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will save very little if anything buying common size tyres online over bricks and mortar shops. You only really save when your buying awkward size or high end tyres that just not going to be stocked locally due to the small demand for them.

Missing my gti and was thinking of picking this up.
    Any words of wisdom? Given the history, is it a fair price?
    It is a decent spec?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2007-volkswagen-golf-2-0-gti-dublin-fpa-201901184081061

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

everlast75 wrote: »
    Missing my gti and was thinking of picking this up.
    Any words of wisdom? Given the history, is it a fair price?
    It is a decent spec?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/used-2007-volkswagen-golf-2-0-gti-dublin-fpa-201901184081061

Dsg ;(

Can’t beat a manual ( just my opinion )

Those wheels would have to go,probably reps with bogey fitment/offset leaving the car not sitting right at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

Looks like it has manual a/c

Cheers
    I don't want to hog the whole thread, but there is one more. It is a year more recent, is manual (for what I'd use it for the DSG would be nice, but I would be okay if push came to shove)..

http://www.weirsmotors.ie/vehicles/volkswagen/golf/dublin/1981689

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Cheers
    I don't want to hog the whole thread, but there is one more. It is a year more recent, is manual (for what I'd use it for the DSG would be nice, but I would be okay if push came to shove)..

Ad says " trade sale" meaning sold as is no warranty to trade only

• Advertisement

They both look in rag order. State of the seat bolster on that first one, mother of god. A tidy MK5 is a very hard find these days.

Dsg ;(

Can’t beat a manual ( just my opinion )

You have obviously not driven a DSG so

JoeA3 wrote: »
    They both look in rag order. State of the seat bolster on that first one, mother of god. A tidy MK5 is a very hard find these days.

I would say a tidy mk5 would make almost 10k now tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

On the topic of mk5 GTI’s for anyone who may be interested there’s a lad I’ve been watching on YouTube who bought one as a project car and has been upgrading it mostly by himself with some help along the way, good viewing for anyone into their golfs IMO

https://m.youtube.com/user/Supercarfanatic94

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I would say a tidy mk5 would make almost 10k now tho?

I think the arse fell out of them last year.

A friend had a 07, manual, 3dr black with good history recent clutch and 4x tyres, low kms and plenty of test, clean body and no tacky mods and he couldn't give it away, took around €3500 for it iirc just recently after being on sale months. I know it wasn't loaded with extras but it was cheap for what it was. The few Mk6's that are out there now are €10k cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Cheers

If your on Facebook keep an eye on the autostadt marketplace.

Yeah, I'd 2nd the autostadt recommendation. More likely to find a cared for enthusiast owned example on there. A quick glance now and I see a couple of MK5's up for sale there.
    I think there is / was a Pirelli Edition for sale there too, that would be a very nice pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    On the topic of mk5 GTI’s for anyone who may be interested there’s a lad I’ve been watching on YouTube who bought one as a project car and has been upgrading it mostly by himself with some help along the way, good viewing for anyone into their golfs IMO

I've been watching his videos since probably late 2017. He does great videos imo and his GTI upgrade series has been very interesting. :)

JoeA3 wrote: »

That seat bolster appears to be a common issue. When I bought mine with only 50k kms on the clock many years ago the bolster was stitched together also, worse than that one even. The car was otherwise immulucate and was a few k cheaper than many others (and never had any issues so it was gunuine) so I ignored the bolster and planned to get a new seat, 7 years later it’s still the same as I never tried too hard to find a seat for it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

ChuckLarry wrote: »

I've seen the odd video from him when looking at GTI, R and more recently Cupra reviews. I've been following the high mileage GTI recently too and it's interesting to see. Hopefully he sticks to the budget/DIY stuff.

Not a fan of the wheels he out on it though :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement