Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd 2nd the autostadt recommendation. More likely to find a cared for enthusiast owned example on there. A quick glance now and I see a couple of MK5's up for sale there.
    I think there is / was a Pirelli Edition for sale there too, that would be a very nice pick.
    Am i looking in the wrong place? Not many for sale on autostadt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

bidiots wrote: »
    Am i looking in the wrong place? Not many for sale on autostadt

There’s a “marketplace” group on there too as well as the main page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Autostadtclassifieds/?ref=share

That seat bolster appears to be a common issue. When I bought mine with only 50k kms on the clock many years ago the bolster was stitched together also, worse than that one even. The car was otherwise immulucate and was a few k cheaper than many others (and never had any issues so it was gunuine) so I ignored the bolster and planned to get a new seat, 7 years later it’s still the same as I never tried too hard to find a seat for it in the end.

Not uncommon no, and some wear is expected on a ~10 year old car but when it looks like a dog was chewing it, it’s just too much for me. I would consider it a visible symptom of a ragged unloved car. If the last owner or dealer can’t be bothered tidying it up, what else has been skimped on. Lots I bet.

Not uncommon no, and some wear is expected on a ~10 year old car but when it looks like a dog was chewing it, it’s just too much for me. I would consider it a visible symptom of a ragged unloved car. If the last owner or dealer can’t be bothered tidying it up, what else has been skimped on. Lots I bet.

I think a lot depends on the waistline of the owner:P
    Mine was a tiny bit worn when I bout it 3/4 years ago and hasnt changed since.
    It you want to fix yours I think its easy to fit a passenger side seat back to your existing seat base.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Is anyone on here familiar with the VW production and delivery process?

I have on golf on order since mid November, originally due for delivery end of January which never happened. Was then told end of April/start of May, chased it up this week to check on the progress and was told the car was ‘handed over to the factory this week’ ‘should be finished build in 2 weeks’

How long is the build process, I always assumed 1 week as it gets referred to as ‘build week allocation’

Where is the car handed over from before the factory? Is it not made in the factory

I know VW have massive delays with WLTP and I’m okay with that just wondering how the process works now that it seems the car is actually being made

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Is anyone on here familiar with the VW production and delivery process?

I have on golf on order since mid November, originally due for delivery end of January which never happened. Was then told end of April/start of May, chased it up this week to check on the progress and was told the car was ‘handed over to the factory this week’ ‘should be finished build in 2 weeks’

How long is the build process, I always assumed 1 week as it gets referred to as ‘build week allocation’

Where is the car handed over from before the factory? Is it not made in the factory

I know VW have massive delays with WLTP and I’m okay with that just wondering how the process works now that it seems the car is actually being made

Cheers

In my experience the build itself is only a day and takes place in whatever week it's planned for. That could be the very start of the week or as late as the end of the week. Then it depends on when it gets on a train to the port and onto a boat. I think it's usually 2-3 weeks after build week that you can expect it to be at the dealer. Did they look after you because of the delay? I ordered start of Nov and was told Feb, when that slipped to April I was given another 700 quid off the car and free servicing for 3 years.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    In my experience the build itself is only a day and takes place in whatever week it's planned for. That could be the very start of the week or as late as the end of the week. Then it depends on when it gets on a train to the port and onto a boat. I think it's usually 2-3 weeks after build week that you can expect it to be at the dealer. Did they look after you because of the delay? I ordered start of Nov and was told Feb, when that slipped to April I was given another 700 quid off the car and free servicing for 3 years.

Free servicing for 3 years is a nice little bonus! Did they offer that up voluntarily or did you push them for something?

I haven’t been offered anything, I didn’t ask as I already got a 3k discount in the deal and didn’t think they’d go with anymore than that, they’re also standing over the original trade in price which I’m not sure is much of a benefit as the delays aren’t my fault but how and ever! Fed up with the whole process really just want the car

I added some options after the January delay so the price has actually gone up rather than getting anything off :L

2-3 weeks from build to being at the dealers is ambitious. 5 weeks is probably closer to average. A few things would need to line up and fall neatly into place for it to be less than 3 weeks - arrive at departing port just as ship is ready to load up, etc. Miss that boat and it could be 2-3 weeks waiting for the next one.

Yeah build only takes a day from start to finish afaik. So if you have a build week, it will be build complete that week. Then add 4-5 weeks onto that for it to arrive to dealers.

F*ck me it’s going to land so close to the 192 registration, don’t think I could leave it any longer tho!

Not having any luck with this car haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can you hold off registering it...would be painful wait but could be worth it at this stage, not sure of the price difference when it's change time.

Free servicing for 3 years is a nice little bonus! Did they offer that up voluntarily or did you push them for something?

I haven’t been offered anything, I didn’t ask as I already got a 3k discount in the deal and didn’t think they’d go with anymore than that, they’re also standing over the original trade in price which I’m not sure is much of a benefit as the delays aren’t my fault but how and ever! Fed up with the whole process really just want the car

I added some options after the January delay so the price has actually gone up rather than getting anything off :L

It's worth a chat anyway, I wouldn't be happy with waiting much longer than the typical maximum of 3 months for the car. I just complained and mentioned cancelling my order and they came back with an offer to keep me onside. I think in situations like this it's VW who will take the hit on any additional discounts etc. I also had a bigger discount than 3k from day 1 and they honoured the original trade in price.

I think a lot depends on the waistline of the owner:P
    Mine was a tiny bit worn when I bout it 3/4 years ago and hasnt changed since.
    It you want to fix yours I think its easy to fit a passenger side seat back to your existing seat base.

The person I bought the car had bought it from a dealer previously with the seat damage and he pointed it to me and said the dealer said the person who traded it in was a “big man” :D

It's worth a chat anyway, I wouldn't be happy with waiting much longer than the typical maximum of 3 months for the car. I just complained and mentioned cancelling my order and they came back with an offer to keep me onside. I think in situations like this it's VW who will take the hit on any additional discounts etc. I also had a bigger discount than 3k from day 1 and they honoured the original trade in price.

Yeah true cheers, I’ll definitely push for the service plan anyways.. have you received your car yet or still waiting?

Yeah true cheers, I’ll definitely push for the service plan anyways.. have you received your car yet or still waiting?

Have mine a year :) all of this played out November 2017 to April 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

See if they'll throw in the protection pack if it's delayed. I got it after mine was delayed over 4 weeks, didn't even ask for it. Floor mats, mud flaps and a boot liner along with a basic Auto Glym cleaning pack. Not great products but they do the job if you're cleaning the car.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    See if they'll throw in the protection pack if it's delayed. I got it after mine was delayed over 4 weeks, didn't even ask for it. Floor mats, mud flaps and a boot liner along with a basic Auto Glym cleaning pack. Not great products but they do the job if you're cleaning the car.

Cheers, I’ll get a list of demands together and see what I can get :)

The Auto Glym body protection isn't bad. Not sure how long it's on my car I presume from new but it seems to magically clean itself. Even the bird **** falls off after a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Have to say the GTD 132 i bought on friday goes like a rocket ( well to me anyway ) delighted with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

folks,
    I've followed the advice and joined that FB page.
    I am in contact with a seller, who has a GTi for sale.

Here are the pics. He apologised for the dirt, but says the car has been in storage and and said he hasn't had a chance to clean it.

bkjufXW.jpg

8E0wOgQ.jpg

8zztHbL.jpg

In relation to the specifics, he has advised the following;

"18s
    Dual zone climate
    Heated seats
    Leather
    Headlight washers
    Auto lights
    Auto wipers
    Auto dim mirror
    Folding mirrors
    Puddle lights
    Heated mirrors
    Touchscreen radio
    Sunroof
    DSG
    Revo stage 1 remap
    All 3 thermostats changed
    Intake ports walnut blasted
    New rear calipers
    Comprehensive service done
    Dsg services have been done

The car will need nothing. And easily one of the best ones on the market.

It's not a cheap one, but considering the condition and spec, it's good value. I want €6,500. You will get cheaper. But you will spend the money getting them to this condition."

To me, at present €6000 seems about right(?) if and only if the car is as well maintained as he says.

I am concerned about
    a) the remap. I've never had a car which had one and am worried about the insurance cost implications. I will ask him more about that
    b) there appears to be a trim part missing from the passenger side rear door handle. I will ask about any other trim issues
    c) I will ask about paint condition.

I have no clue about thermostats being replaced or anything being "walnut blasted"

I've put the details into carzone and it says there are 2 owners. In the autofil part it says

"Cloth seat upholstery with additional cloth,Sports driver and passenger seat with height adjustment and lumbar adjustment,Leather covered steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment,Driver and passenger electrically adjustable heated body colour door mirrors indicator lights,Air conditioning with climate control 2 climate control zone(s),Front and rear electric windows with two one-touch,Cup holders for front seats and rear seats fixed,Remote control remote boot/hatch/rear door release,Front fog lights,Twin complex surface lens halogen bulb headlights,Tinted glass on cabin,Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management,Four-wheel ABS,Brake assist system,Isofix preparation"

Any other pointers folks would be much appreciated.

How long has it been in storage? Can you see when it was last taxed? 5.5/6 is about right. I'd always be concerned when something hasn't been driven though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Look's like Doc Power's car? He is a mechanic in Daltons. I'd be fairly confident of that being a good example. The Revo map will be no harm but getting insurance cover might be more difficult depending on who you are insured with. I think it's worth around €6k too for what it's worth.

The leather looks like its in exceptionally good condition. Possibly retro-fitted (along with the door cards), and there's nothing wrong with that. The piece of trim missing from door handle, very minor, maybe a result of the (possible) retro fit.
    I think Hooch is right, I recognise the reg, I think it's Doc's car. If it is, I'd be confident its a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

How many miles on it? I've the same specced one in similar condition but would have thought mine was worth about 4.5.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I have no clue about thermostats being replaced or anything being "walnut blasted"

I had the main thermostat replaced in mine by daltons and the ports cleaned at the same time . 400/450e iirc
    Common for the thermostat to fail and I think there is a good bit of labour to get to them.
    The walnut blasting refers to the intake manifold,it gets clogged up over years with carbon build up.Generally done while changing the stat to save labour.

looks tidy.
    GTIs need tartan seats imo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

2-3 weeks from build to being at the dealers is ambitious.

For VAG stuff, as long as it's European built, 3 weeks is generally the max. A lot of stuff will arrive within 2 weeks of production week and it's only usually if it just misses a boat that it goes out to 3 weeks.

Transport within Ireland can sometimes delay things, but it's been fairly good recently.

looks tidy.
    GTIs need tartan seats imo :D

+1 never liked leather in a Gti, tartan cloth looks the best and most traditional too.

R.O.R wrote: »
    For VAG stuff, as long as it's European built, 3 weeks is generally the max. A lot of stuff will arrive within 2 weeks of production week and it's only usually if it just misses a boat that it goes out to 3 weeks.

Transport within Ireland can sometimes delay things, but it's been fairly good recently.

I bought a few new VAG's. One of them was a little under 3 weeks, the others were nearer the 5 week mark. Maybe they've improved a bit more recently, but like I said, its very much down to luck with timing, the car arriving at Emden at the correct time for departure and then once it lands in Dublin, getting NVD to transport it down to the dealers...

+1 never liked leather in a Gti, tartan cloth looks the best and most traditional too.

The nicest seats of the lot were those fitted to the Edition 30. Tartan centres with the leather bolsters.

The leather doesn't age too well, I've seen some shocking examples where its in bits and all baggy and shiny like a cheap old sofa ready for the tip. But as I said, it looks exceptionally clean in that particular car, so its possibly a retro fit from a donor car.

Actually, the reg is quite high (for a G reg) on it too, possibly a UK car originally? Clocks are KMs but that's another common enough retrofit.

<deleted by poster's request>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

it looks extremely well kept and a good amount of work has been carried out. if i was in the market fro a mk5 gti it would be a no brainier that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Not a UK import I'd say as I had a 08 G with a similar number that was registered in August!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Seems to be a few demo Polo GTIs after arriving. In typical Irish car dealer fashion, they are missing what I'd consider vital upgrades, Brescia wheels and LEDs
    https://www.facebook.com/FrankKeaneVolkswagen/posts/2659702744102164
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/used-2019-191-volkswagen-polo-gti-2-0-galway-fpa-201904116867579

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

fletch wrote: »
    Seems to be a few demo Polo GTIs after arriving. In typical Irish car dealer fashion, they are missing what I'd consider vital upgrades, Brescia wheels and LEDs
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/used-2019-191-volkswagen-polo-gti-2-0-galway-fpa-201904116867579

I can't believe I am saying this, but it looks very bland in white. Black makes it look a lot better.
    I agree on LEDs and wheels too.

Seat ibiza fr Evo actually looks better! *Hides!!!!

Pano sunroof and no LEDs or Brescias, madness.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I don't understand why anyone would want one without climate control either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

everlast75 wrote: »
    <deleted by poster's request>

did you bite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

fletch wrote: »

That red interior, absolutely rotten!

Still putting manual handbrakes in them too, terrible. That would be a far more off putting to me than wheels (which I think are grand) or led lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Still putting manual handbrakes in them too, terrible.

I'd pay extra for a manual handbrake if it was optional.

• Advertisement

bidiots wrote: »
    did you bite?

I am selling my own car at the moment.
    If/when that shifts, I will probably buy it alright.
    I couldn't handle two sets of car payments :)

I'd pay extra for a manual handbrake if it was optional.

Why? Manual are terrible when you get used to an auto one (I have to go back and over betten cars with and without and it’s an awful chore using the manual), particularly VW group autohandbrake/hill hold which are best of the lot. I think it’s one of the best features to be put in cars in recent times and would be close to a deal breaker not having it buying a car. It also looks far better.

Why? Manual are terrible when you get used to an auto one (I have to go back and over betten cars with and without and it’s an awful chore using the manual), particularly VW group autohandbrake/hill hold which are best of the lot. I think it’s one of the best features to be put in cars in recent times and would be close to a deal breaker not having it buying a car. It also looks far better.

Life must be pretty peachy if that's an awful chore!

Life must be pretty peachy if that's an awful chore!

You are in a thread about top of the range Golfs (+ some other cars) not cheap a to b machines obviously people have expectations about the cars. Idiotic comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

I see in the Uk they get two Polo GTI models - GTI and GTI+ (£1500 extra)

Additional items of standard equipment GTI+ over GTI

LED dipped and main beam headlights
    including separate LED daytime running lights
    and automatic range adjustment
    Rear tinted glass from B-pillar backwards,
    approx. 65% tinted

INTERIOR
    Dusk sensor, automatic driving lights
    Front centre armrest, with storage
    compartment
    Manual coming/automatic leaving home
    lighting function
    Rain sensor and automatic dimming interior
    rear-view mirror

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Electrically heated, adjustable and foldable
    door mirrors and reverse activated kerb-view
    adjustment on passenger’s side
    Keyless entry with Start/Stop button on
    centre console

DRIVER’S ASSISTANCE
    Active Info Display , 10.3" high resolution TFT
    dash display screen with customisable menus
    and information
    Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), including
    Front Assist, radar sensor controlled distance
    monitoring system, City emergency braking
    system, cruise control and speed limiter

You are in a thread about top of the range Golfs (+ some other cars) not cheap a to b machines obviously people have expectations about the cars. Idiotic comment.

Lovely! Typing that probably took the equivalent time as pulling a manual handbrake 20 times. You ok? Must have been awful for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

How could anyone be expected to pay 35k for a brand new car with halogen lamps!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why?

One more pointless gadget whose only function is to break someday.

I don't think the Polo GTI makes a lot of sense in this country tbh.

35k. No LED's/xenons. Terrible wheels. No climate control (just look at those early '00's style heater controls). I just couldn't do it. You'd need to spend 4k+ on the options list and then it's just getting silly for a Polo imo. Yeah I know the Polo GTI and Fiesta ST, etc are supposed to be great little drivers cars but for me they're still small little cars and I couldn't live with one on a daily basis, especially a 40k one.

A slightly used Golf GTI PP, which has most of those missing items fitted as standard and is a far better finished car (despite being a much older design), is a much better bet imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Killinator wrote: »
    How could anyone be expected to pay 35k for a brand new car with halogen lamps!!!!

I like the Polo gti ( part of it, because there is no Ibiza Cupra :pac: ), but no matter how I look at it, no amount of man maths make it in any way reasonably priced. It's just way too damn expensive in base form and so much need to be added to bring it to modern standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

One more pointless gadget whose only function is to break someday.

manual handbrakes can fail too.

VW's auto handbrake is completely seamless to the driver, it needs no input whatsoever. It's a very nice system.

This rant is a bit like people who say DSG isn't as nice as a manual gearbox.

The auto handbrake is a nice feature, sure you're paying for it and if it fail's you'll have to pay to have it fixed but it's worth the (low) risk to have nice features in your car.

Otherwise, sure we'd all be driving 90's Corollas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement