Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Very nice until you want to do handbrakes....it's a nice feature but doesn't help keep the calories off just like the DSG.

I'd have the new Fiesta ST over the Polo anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I guess the same people giving out about the electric handbrake probably have little or no experience of a car with it or how simple and non intrusive it is especially in conjunction with an automatic gearbox. Worrying about it failing is a weak argument too imo, do you seek out a car without power steering, electric windows, central locking, infotainment system, etc just in case they might fail too? Yes electronic parking brakes had problems in their early days just any new tech but these days they are well proven tech. I've had a good few cars with one over the years and none of them have ever had problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

bazz26 wrote: »
    I guess the same people giving out about the electric handbrake probably have little or no experience of a car with it or how simple and non intrusive it is especially in conjunction with an automatic gearbox. Worrying about it failing is a weak argument too imo, do you seek out a car without power steering, electric windows, central locking, infotainment system, etc just in case they might fail too? Yes electronic parking brakes had problems in their early days just any new tech but these days they are well proven tech. I've had a good few cars with one over the years and none of them have ever had problems.

I currently have one car with it, two cars without it. Cant see the massive draw, yes it's slightly more convenient but I'd prioritise many many other features - xenons, adaptive cruise control, android auto or similar, leather, sunroof, climate control. It makes such an insignificant difference to the car to me that I wouldn't spec it if it was 50 quid. So no, it's not to do with having little or no experience of a car with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

bazz26 wrote: »

I personally not 17 anymore and not delusional that at age 33 I will do hand break turn to impress girls. So as long as it works, I don't give a ****. My car has normal one and it works for me, when I had Leon fr for few days it had the fancy one and it worked well too. There are other parts of car that more important for me.

It's still a manual one in the states..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's still a manual one in the states..

cost cutting. The US VW's are built down to a price in Mexico...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

So we can expect VW Europe to follow suit shortly in their quest to cut costs this side of the pond too. :D

I currently have one car with it, two cars without it. Cant see the massive draw, yes it's slightly more convenient but I'd prioritise many many other features - xenons, adaptive cruise control, android auto or similar, leather, sunroof, climate control. It makes such an insignificant difference to the car to me that I wouldn't spec it if it was 50 quid. So no, it's not to do with having little or no experience of a car with it.

Personally I think it significantly enchances driver comfort especially if regularly driving in hilly areas in traffic etc. it just works so well and takes out a chore of a job constantly pulling and releasing a handbrake and I like just sitting in and riding off without touching a handbrake etc.

Adaptive cruise is probably the only feature I’d have ahead of auto handbrake to be honest on your list. I don’t think I’d buy a car without it, it’s one of the first things I look out for when looking at a car.

And as I said if nothing else it makes a car Centre console much less cluttered and look better.

The one thing I’d say is that VW do it way better than other manufacturers so maybe you are driving an non-vw. Pugeout for example don’t have hill hold you have to manually pull the electronic handbrake everytime (except when you turn off the engine).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Can we just take a moment to acknowledge that Western Motors can't spec a car to save themselves?

They are still trying to sell that Black Rubin GTI Performance after nearly two years I think someone a while back said and now they have a Polo GTI for close to 36k that doesn't have essentials like the 18" Brescias and LEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Can we just take a moment to acknowledge that Western Motors can't spec a car to save themselves?

They are still trying to sell that Black Rubin GTI Performance after nearly two years I think someone a while back said and now they have a Polo GTI for close to 36k that doesn't have essentials like the 18" Brescias and LEDs.

Funny enough I was browsing carzone last week and was thinking the exact same about that Rubin GTI Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

They must have a sales manager that "thinks outside the box".

That'll get the punters in. :pac:

Having it that long, you'd expect them to sell it fairly nicely discounted and take the hit but have it sold. Instead they didn't bother but increased the price instead.

Having it that long, you'd expect them to sell it fairly nicely discounted and take the hit but have it sold. Instead they didn't bother but increased the price instead.

I would 100% agree with this given it’s been 2 years...

But there’s another thought I’ve had recently and I think the point was also made somewhere on the motors forum that could there be any case to be made for mk7.5 GTIs and GTDs nearly new or ex demo etc commanding a better price now with VW having such horrendous delivery dates?

You’ve got a GTI itch and money in your pocket, wait 6 months or take this 182/191 one with super low mileage.. just a thought

Western Motors have sold a hell of a lot of GTI’s and R’s. Quite a few of them on the back of myself.

They dropped the ball with the black Rubin Golf but while us motor nerds will consider the wheel upgrade and LED’s “essential”, a lot of punters will not care for them and more importantly will not pay for them.

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    I would 100% agree with this given it’s been 2 years...

But there’s another thought I’ve had recently and I think the point was also made somewhere on the motors forum that could there be any case to be made for mk7.5 GTIs and GTDs nearly new or ex demo etc commanding a better price now with VW having such horrendous delivery dates?

You’ve got a GTI itch and money in your pocket, wait 6 months or take this 182/191 one with super low mileage.. just a thought

That's a good point. Delivery times are ridiculous. The one in question would be a good offer possibly for someone if it were literally any other colour because besides the colour, it's quite a good spec. It could do with a different set of wheels but I wouldn't mind them.

I don't know if I could take it at that price though knowing it's been sat around in a dealership for close to two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

Looks like they tried to attempt their own Fast and Furious 5 heist.

JoeA3 wrote: »

They dropped the ball with the black Rubin Golf but while us motor nerds will consider the wheel upgrade and LED’s “essential”, a lot of punters will not care for them and more importantly will not pay for them.

Saw my first ‘peacock green’ golf yesterday
    Had to check to product guide to find the name
    Not a fan I must say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Not a fan I must say

I'm a fan of anything that isn't black, white or grey.

• Advertisement

Not a fan I must say

Just googled it. Nope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Western Motors have sold a hell of a lot of GTI’s and R’s. Quite a few of them on the back of myself.

But they'll pay for a pano sunroof? The car is still a 36k car they've just chosen to make it an expensive car with a strange choice of options. Surely the only sort of person who'll buy that car is a motor nerd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Killinator wrote: »
    How could anyone be expected to pay 35k for a brand new car with halogen lamps!!!!

I like the Polo gti ( part of it, because there is no Ibiza Cupra :pac: ), but no matter how I look at it,  no amount of man maths make it in any way reasonably priced. It's just way too damn expensive in base form and so much need to be added to bring it to modern standards.
    Partly because of the DSG only option, a manual equivalent would be 1.5k less?
    You can have a Ford Fiesta ST3 with upgraded 18 inch alloys and LED lights for 29.5k, significantly lower than a similarly specced Polo. Other options like heated seats etc are also very reasonably priced.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    You can have a Ford Fiesta ST3 with upgraded 18 inch alloys and LED lights for 29.5k, significantly lower than a similarly specced Polo. Other options like heated seats etc are also very reasonably priced.

A pretty much fully loaded one (including the performance pack which should be on your spec list) is a smidge over 31k. That's a fair difference.

But they'll pay for a pano sunroof? The car is still a 36k car they've just chosen to make it an expensive car with a strange choice of options. Surely the only sort of person who'll buy that car is a motor nerd?

Ah, I hadn’t even noticed the roof. Fair point!
    I’d personally absolutely spec the LED’s before the roof but I would say a salesman would see the roof as having more showroom appeal / wow factor.

Fords are awful places to sit though, sat in a few in the show room recently and I ran away before the sales man could get near me as I knew we weren’t going to even consider one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

Fords are awful places to sit though, sat in a few in the show room recently and I ran away before the sales man could get near me as I knew we weren’t going to even consider one.

I agree. I came from a mk3 focus before my first golf, and even though it was a grand car and served me well, the interior is so cheap feeling. I used to have to whack various panels every once in a while to stop the rattling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Still fancy the pants off the tangerine focus ST though..

Fiesta ST2 5 door with performance pack, LED lights and a few little extras is on my list for my next car. It is in my price range, but Polo gti with basic extras is just way out of my budget. It's a shame fiesta St is on highish 5.9% apr and I don't think they will do any deals yet.
    The only problem I see with fiesta St, is that it won't be much of an upgrade over my current car. The only real upgrade is going to be 5 doors over 3. Yes, yes, fiesta on the track is superior, but I don't drive on tracks, I drive to work, shop, town etc.
    The more I look at Skoda RS, the less I like it. I don't know, the looks just don't do a thing for me.
    The major runner up is still 2017 - 2018 Dsg Leon cupra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

Fiesta ST2 5 door with performance pack, LED lights and a few little extras is on my list for my next car. It is in my price range, but Polo gti with basic extras is just way out of my budget. It's a shame fiesta St is on highish 5.9% apr and I don't think they will do any deals yet.
    The only problem I see with fiesta St, is that it won't be much of an upgrade over my current car. The only real upgrade is going to be 5 doors over 3. Yes, yes, fiesta on the track is superior, but I don't drive on tracks, I drive to work, shop, town etc.
    The more I look at Skoda RS, the less I like it. I don't know, the looks just don't do a thing for me.
    The major runner up is still 2017 - 2018 Dsg Leon cupra.

There is a ST performance edition of the fiesta out in autumn (Uk only but no doubt a few will filter across)

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/st-ford-performance-edition-ps26k-fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Would anyone hazard a guess on what I might be looking at paying in january 2021 for a 2015 Golf R 300ps? UK import or Ire plate, doesn't bother me, trade or private. They seem to going for around 17k gbp, so say 20000eur, with VRT 6400, so say 26500 all in, 25k best case right now.

Yep, Monday morning woes in work, anything to distract, coming into shares in Jan 2021 so wondering if I can get a new toy then!

Appreciate its guesswork!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The biggest problem in 2 years will be finding a good one that is already starting to prove a bit of a challenge, i would say 20k for a good 2015 example in 2 years might be a fair price, i'm sure there will be plenty of examples out there for less but for the right spec with a good service history you'll have to be willing to pay more.

It's all complete guess work, brexit might drive prices of all secondhand cars up as it mgiht be a complete pain to import a car in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Hate dragging up the debate about electronic/manual handbrakes but interestingly, for those that argue there is more to go wrong with an eletronic handbrake, VW have issued a recall on the manual (drum) handbrake in the new Polo https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72938.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's a fairly basic **** up on VW's part with those in fairness. They've had a sticky run with the new model Polo, that's the 3rd all out recall they've had on them and the model is only out a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Would anyone hazard a guess on what I might be looking at paying in january 2021 for a 2015 Golf R 300ps? UK import or Ire plate, doesn't bother me, trade or private. They seem to going for around 17k gbp, so say 20000eur, with VRT 6400, so say 26500 all in, 25k best case right now.

Yep, Monday morning woes in work, anything to distract, coming into shares in Jan 2021 so wondering if I can get a new toy then!

Appreciate its guesswork!!

Lets do the deal now... Give me 25k now and I'll promise to handover the keys to my 162 R in October 2021... No? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Back from getting the PS4s fit at Discount. Nice to see I can go into the Michelin website and get €20 back :)

I see there's also a nice lip on the tyre, would have been nice to have that before I curbed my wheel a few months ago :D

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Back from getting the PS4s fit at Discount. Nice to see I can go into the Michelin website and get €20 back :)

I see there's also a nice lip on the tyre, would have been nice to have that before I curbed my wheel a few months ago :D

Did you go for PS4's or the PS4S ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

tossy wrote: »
    Did you go for PS4's or the PS4S ?

PS4's, didn't know there was also PS4 S :p

DaveyDave wrote: »
    PS4's, didn't know there was also PS4 S :p

There is but only available in 19's and up, serious tyre. the PS4 is not to be sniffed at either also a serious tyre.

OSI wrote: »
    PS4 S is sold as being for those who will track their car regularly and expect to drive their car home on the same tyre, rather than being a high end performance road tyre. It's a compromise between the Cup tyres and Pilot Sport tyres. They used to have a slider on their site that asked how much of your driving would be on the track and would change it's suggestion from PS4 to PS4s to Cup 2 depending on the % you chose.

Seems like PS4 or PS4S are the be all and end all for GTIs. Wherever you read people are putting them on and are delighted with the grip etc. Do they not wear fairly quickly though? There's surely a trade off for the performance? (which does seem to be brilliant from all accounts to be fair)

Currently very happy with P Zeros on the wear front and performance front but thinking about my next set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I've Pirelli P Zero's too on my R, and I wouldnt consider changing them. Havent needed "more" grip yet. Get at least 20k km from the fronts. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough... ;)

• Advertisement

theintern wrote: »
    Seems like PS4 or PS4S are the be all and end all for GTIs.

There are alternatives from Continental and the recently announced Goodyear Eagle F1 A5 and F1 Supersport ranges.

Are PS4’s / P Zeros etc strictly for higher performance models? i.e would they be wasted on my 150bhp tdi?

I don’t mind paying a bit extra for quality but don’t want to pay extra for the wrong thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

P zeros are not really high performance compared to the ps4s and are standard on 520d's and other run of the mill cars.

I would find it very difficult to move away from GY eagle f1s. The grip is superb both wet and dry and they last really last also, suprisingly low wear actually.

Are PS4’s / P Zeros etc strictly for higher performance models? i.e would they be wasted on my 150bhp tdi?

I don’t mind paying a bit extra for quality but don’t want to pay extra for the wrong thing

Not necessarily, it all depends on how enthusiastic you are and if you are pushing it to notice a difference. The Michelin are more expensive than other premium brands though.
    My parents have a 150Tdi and I got them Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 (17”) at ~€76 each to replace the Hankooks that it came with and which wore out quickly. A perfectly fine tyre that still gets great reviews and with good rim protection.
    Check out tyrereviews.co.uk for reviews of tyres in your size in tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Muppet Man wrote: »
    I've Pirelli P Zero's too on my R, and I wouldnt consider changing them. Havent needed "more" grip yet. Get at least 20k km from the fronts. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough... ;)

Same here. Found them very good so far. 30k on them and still plenty left. Had f1s on an old Impreza and loved them .

Bridgestone Potenza S001 here, are they standard, loads of grip on them and they'll need replacing soon.

There's maybe 5k left in them, what would you go for instead? I'm not finding them bad the car is well planted on the twistys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

I have the bridgestone potenza re50a on the 535d, brand spanking new when i bought the car. Absolutely hate them, dangerous in damp conditions, especially with rear wheel drive. There's about 4.5 mm left on them so I'll see them out. Not wasting money on new tyres, but I can't wait to get rid of em. Not too sure what to go for after them, and whether to even stick with RF's or not. Suppose I'll worry about it when the time comes.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti-2014/21648269

Possibly the dodgiest looking GTI ad I've seen ever but if you wanted to get into the game for cheap...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement