Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's like this if the dealer wants to get paid they can wait. Yea your 191 reg will be old in July and worth less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

More dealer bullsh!t, of course they can wait if you insist.

You could argue that your post is just more consumer bullsh!t.

If the deal was done for May delivery of a 191 car, your trade in was also priced according to that.

If you want to hang on until 192 to retain value in the new car would you be cool with taking another hit on your trade in to reflect it being another reg period older?

I can understand if the car isn't going to turn up until June sometime due to a delay on the dealers side, there's a logical arguement for hanging on until 192 but if someone has done a deal for a 191 May delivery car from the get ok, they should be sound and honour their end of the deal by collecting it in 191 as that was the basis of the deal.

Unless you're kmart6 of course, sounds like the dealer has went ahead and reg'd his car already. I'd be curious to know how that's going to play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

If the deal was done for May delivery of a 191 car, your trade in was also priced according to that.

If you want to hang on until 192 to retain value in the new car would you be cool with taking another hit on your trade in to reflect it being another reg period older?

I can understand if the car isn't going to turn up until June sometime due to a delay on the dealers side, there's a logical arguement for hanging on until 192 but if someone has done a deal for a 191 May delivery car from the get ok, they should be sound and honour their end of the deal by collecting it in 191 as that was the basis of the deal.

Unless you're kmart6 of course, sounds like the dealer has went ahead and reg'd his car already. I'd be curious to know how that's going to play out.

His post says his original deal with the dealer was for June delivery and that he'd wait til July to register it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

MidMan25 wrote: »
    His post says his original deal with the dealer was for June delivery and that he'd wait til July to register it.

Sure if that was the deal, then that was the deal, there'll be no issue so.

I'm just saying you cant really just decide you want to sit on the deal for a month or two to get into the next reg period if that's not how the original deal was done. A dealer may facilitate you but it's not an entitlement as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

It’s a good point about the trade in value given for a specific delivery date alright. I suppose I could let them take my car early if that was the case, if I really want to wait for 192 that is. I think that June 1st is probably a good cut off date for deciding/asking to wait for 192.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Automotive News Europe
    VW Golf on track for February launch despite software glitches
    CHRISTIAAN HETZNER
    TWEET
    MORE

VIEW GALLERY
    11 PHOTOS
    SHANGHAI -- Volkswagen's new Golf is on track to go on sale in Europe starting at the end of February following delays caused by the hatchback's advanced digital features including over the air (OTA) software updates.

The Golf "lies within the target corridor when it comes to eliminating bugs," VW brand chief Juergen Stackmann said on the sidelines of the auto show here last week.

Stackmann said the launch of the Golf was scheduled for the ninth calendar week of next year, which begins on February 24. It will launch first in Germany, with other European markets following soon after.

In part due to its new online functionality, the eighth-generation Golf has been beset by software glitches.

"We've never hid the fact that software, an area of extreme importance for products in the future, is a serious challenge for us," Stackmann said. "We have our homework ahead of us, and the teams are under heavy pressure."

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

noelf wrote: »
    Automotive News Europe
    VW Golf on track for February launch despite software glitches
    CHRISTIAAN HETZNER
    TWEET
    MORE

VIEW GALLERY
    11 PHOTOS
    SHANGHAI -- Volkswagen's new Golf is on track to go on sale in Europe starting at the end of February following delays caused by the hatchback's advanced digital features including over the air (OTA) software updates.

The Golf "lies within the target corridor when it comes to eliminating bugs," VW brand chief Juergen Stackmann said on the sidelines of the auto show here last week.

Stackmann said the launch of the Golf was scheduled for the ninth calendar week of next year, which begins on February 24. It will launch first in Germany, with other European markets following soon after.

In part due to its new online functionality, the eighth-generation Golf has been beset by software glitches.

"We've never hid the fact that software, an area of extreme importance for products in the future, is a serious challenge for us," Stackmann said. "We have our homework ahead of us, and the teams are under heavy pressure."

Software?? The silly sods are a year trying to get over WLTP

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I see there is an Up! GTI for sale in Barnes Autohouse. Must be an import, I didn't think they are available here? Wouldn't mind giving it a hoon on a backroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You didn't read his post at all, did you?

• Advertisement

kevodaly wrote: »
    It’s a good point about the trade in value given for a specific delivery date alright. I suppose I could let them take my car early if that was the case, if I really want to wait for 192 that is. I think that June 1st is probably a good cut off date for deciding/asking to wait for 192.

It's not really, the depreciation on the trade in will be less than the depreciation on the new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I see there is an Up! GTI for sale in Barnes Autohouse. Must be an import, I didn't think they are available here? Wouldn't mind giving it a hoon on a backroad.
    Import, steep enough price too, I think you'd have a new one VRT'd in Ireland for less than 20k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Cant wait to watch this later.
    Bit short :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Be interesting to see what its like after the final software tune...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Do they have decent fuel there?

I had the same spec on mine bar the fuel pump upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They tend to use E85 when they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Take a listen to this podcast about car salesmen in american trying to make numbers.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars

They will even personally buy cars to make up the numbers or sell them to family.
    Its a really really good episode .

Thanks for this, good listen today in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I did a couple of laps in this yesterday! Very nice car, great craic to drive.

3-FBE50-F3-AE41-471-E-B6-FD-085-BBCAEE344.jpg
    onlie dice

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Thanks for this, good listen today in the car

No worries,
    seems like an awful way to make a living !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

everlast75 wrote: »
    Not willing to meet some of the way or moving on the price, to be frank, is putting me off somewhat.

If it's a good and straight car, why would he drop the price? Especially if he has other people lined up to buy it. As for not being willing to meet you somewhere, I can see his point. If I was selling a car and knew that somebody would be handing me 7k in cash, I wouldn't want to be somewhere I didn't know. I would want to be close to home/my bank so that it could be lodged as quickly as possible. I would also be wary of unfamiliar surroundings and who could be sitting close by in a car waiting to rob the cash off me after you drive off in the car. He doesn't know you, hasn't met you as far as I am aware(?), so he is just being cautious. It would also mean no messing around for him trying to get home.

In short, the above two things wouldn't put me off buying a car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Doc is a genuine guy, the points he makes are valid, I can see 100% where he is coming from on not travelling or lowering the price without having viewed the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

If it's a good and straight car, why would he drop the price? Especially if he has other people lined up to buy it. As for not being willing to meet you somewhere, I can see his point. If I was selling a car and knew that somebody would be handing me 7k in cash, I wouldn't want to be somewhere I didn't know. I would want to be close to home/my bank so that it could be lodged as quickly as possible. I would also be wary of unfamiliar surroundings and who could be sitting close by in a car waiting to rob the cash off me after you drive off in the car. He doesn't know you, hasn't met you as far as I am aware(?), so he is just being cautious. It would also mean no messing around for him trying to get home.

In short, the above two things wouldn't put me off buying a car!

I'm with Delboy, those two wouldn't concern me either. I'd be slightly cautious of the lost service history book though. What if him & someone in that garage are mates & when you go to sell they're not backing up the service history calls from your prospective buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I know Doc well and if he says the car is what it is I would believe him.
    He is right that good condition Gti's are hard to get, he wouldn't be the type to be under pressure to sell any of his cars either so holding out on the price would be justified.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Doc is a genuine guy, the points he makes are valid, I can see 100% where he is coming from on not travelling or lowering the price without having viewed the car.

The bolded bit above is also very important. If you haven't actually gone to view the car, how does he know how serious you are? Thankfully, I haven't sold a car/motorbike in 7 years, but for previous sales, the time wasters it attracted was disheartening and irritating. I got many an offer from somebody without seeing the car/bike, and these were the people I would classify as time wasters as they had no interest in actually coming to see the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Neilw wrote: »
    I know Doc well and if he says the car is what it is I would believe him.
    He is right that good condition Gti's are hard to get, he wouldn't be the type to be under pressure to sell any of his cars either so holding out on the price would be justified.

Thing is, this recommendation of the seller is all well & good & I'm sure reassuring for Everlast, but once Everlast is selling it, it's a car that looks good, but was bought with very little service history from another guy who's reputable on a thread on boards.ie... I'd factor that into my thoughts at least.

I don't think posting your interactions with the seller on a public forum is right.

I don't think posting your interactions with the seller on a public forum is right.

Agreed. It would be different if the car had never been linked and people didn’t know who the seller was. But the car has been linked, and the seller is known personally to some people on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Pulled the trigger in a pair of eagle f1 asym 5s for the front today. Bye bye autogreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hang on.

If that's your viewpoint, fair enough.

However, I've been on this forum for some time and have voiced my opinion when people asked and have always respected the knowledge of the posters here. It was for that reason that I sought the advice. I could have paraphrased the interaction but didn't think I was out of order for doing so for the sake of convenience. I disclosed nothing personal either. I posted in good faith and have said nothing untoward or malicious about him. I've kept it to details about the car.

As for the points that did respond with advice, thank you.

I appreciate the point about travelling. I hadn't thought of that.

As for the price, I valued it on the opinions of those on here who know more than me. I sought it before offering. I'm surprised therefore with a lot now saying its worth the asking. I don't think offering 6k when someone is looking for 6.5k is sought. Knocking 250e off wouldn't be considered unfair considering I'm travelling to collect, absence of key, lack of history, no manual. None of them are fatal but combined it counts for something.

I also appreciate that he doesn't know me. It works both ways. I don't know him either. I would be travelling with over 6k in cash to a place I don't know. I was looking for some accommodation or movement is all.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Genuine thanks to those that posted advice.

PS - I'm going to delete all posts referencing the car interactions as soon as I get to a pc

No history, no manual, no spare key, wouldn't care of it's the pope. 4/5k
    You'll need to get a spare and get it coded and the old key turned off.

• Advertisement

Very much this, especially when the seller is very likely to be reading or be told about it being posted online.

If emails I was having with a potential buyer were posteed online I’d be telling them (possibly not very politely) that I wasn’t selling to them and remove all details from the forum immediately.

As for not meeting a person, why would a seller waste petrol driving to meet a potential time waster? Even if they aren’t a time waster they may not buy the car, do that a few times and you could have a few 100 spent on fuel that you will never see back. I’d never travel to show a car but I would never bring the person to my house either, somewhere local and close to home would be chosen but never home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Whopper

Hi folks. I’m on the hunt for a 5 door 2015+ carbon grey dsg gti. Ideally max mileage c.50-60k km. Does anyone have one they’re willing to part with? I would imagine there are a few due to come off PCP this year? I missed the one in Beshoffs a few weeks ago by literally 2 hours.

In terms of spec, dsg and xenons are a must. I think 2015+ ensures the xenons? I’m indifferent to a PP or not. I would do either of the greys with a preference for carbon grey. Would even do silver but not white/red/black.

If anyone is thinking of parting with their grey dsg gti could you please pm me.

Best of luck, they are VERY hard to find in that particular spec with low mileage. Is UK or NI an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Whopper

Best of luck, they are VERY hard to find in that particular spec with low mileage. Is UK or NI an option for you?

Will probably have to go to the UK alright but throwing it out there to try my luck. I do see grey GTIs on the road so they are out there ;) I might start leaving post-its on the ones I see.

I was fairly gutted at missing the one is Beshoff's as it was perfect spec/mileage/condition.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of it was belonging to a poster on here. The carbon grey is a great colour, another member got one lately and it's beautiful. I was searching for a GTi last year and couldn't find a spec I wanted for the budget so settled on a GTD. It's a fine car in it's own right but in hindsight I should have stuck it out for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

If it's the same one I'm thinking of it was belonging to a poster on here. The carbon grey is a great colour, another member got one lately and it's beautiful. I was searching for a GTi last year and couldn't find a spec I wanted for the budget so settled on a GTD. It's a fine car in it's own right but in hindsight I should have stuck it out for one.

That was me, pics are a few pages back. Not a DSG though, and I'm very very happy with it so I'm not going to be parting with it any time soon :)

theintern wrote: »
    That was me, pics are a few pages back. Not a DSG though, and I'm very very happy with it so I'm not going to be parting with it any time soon :)

Yep it's yours I was referring to. Not jealous at all. Tbh manual or DSG wouldn't bother me, PP would be a deal breaker though, I'd have to have the bigger brakes and diff, xenon's too, they just don't look right with the halogen headlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Whopper wrote: »
    Hi folks. I’m on the hunt for a 5 door 2015+ carbon grey dsg gti. Ideally max mileage c.50-60k km. Does anyone have one they’re willing to part with? I would imagine there are a few due to come off PCP this year? I missed the one in Beshoffs a few weeks ago by literally 2 hours.

In terms of spec, dsg and xenons are a must. I think 2015+ ensures the xenons? I’m indifferent to a PP or not. I would do either of the greys with a preference for carbon grey. Would even do silver but not white/red/black.

If anyone is thinking of parting with their grey dsg gti could you please pm me.

I was looking for an Irish 2016+ GTI with certain specs for ages and ages... I ended up buying brand new a few months ago :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Very much this, especially when the seller is very likely to be reading or be told about it being posted online.

If emails I was having with a potential buyer were posteed online I’d be telling them (possibly not very politely) that I wasn’t selling to them and remove all details from the forum immediately.

As for not meeting a person, why would a seller waste petrol driving to meet a potential time waster? Even if they aren’t a time waster they may not buy the car, do that a few times and you could have a few 100 spent on fuel that you will never see back. I’d never travel to show a car but I would never bring the person to my house either, somewhere local and close to home would be chosen but never home.

I've already explained myself.

I didn't disclose any personal information. Someone else suggested who it might be. I didn't mention his name. Unfortunately I confirmed what another poster said. That was my one mistake, one I said I would rectify as soon as I'm able to.

*All* of the interactions were specific to the car. There was no personal information about him or me. None. They were factual questions and factual answers. Anyone buying the car and execising due diligence would do the same. I don't know this guy from adam. He doesn't know me either. So questions werw asked.

I was polite and honest with my dealings with him, as he was with me.

I did copy and paste our conversation. Both sides of it. All of what I said too.

If I was selling a car and was asked questions I would have zero problem with anyone posting it here or elsewhere.

He has contacted me to say that he doesn't want to sell the car to me. That's entirely his prerogative. I've wished him good luck with the sale.

I've already said I would delete all posts referring to the interaction.

You'd swear I catfished and then doxed him.

That's all I'm going to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

Yep it's yours I was referring to. Not jealous at all. Tbh manual or DSG wouldn't bother me, PP would be a deal breaker though, I'd have to have the bigger brakes and diff, xenon's too, they just don't look right with the halogen headlights

I think PP is a bit of a must have. Really love keyless actually too. Love not needing to fumble in my gear bag for my keys.

When you say halogens do you mean lights that don't have the 'u' shape? Or are there multiple u shape types?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Halogens are just ordinary yellowish type headlights you got in most cars as standard. The early GTIs had halogens as standard and xenon headlights with LED daylight running lights were an expensive option. Xenon headlights became standard on the GTi in late 2014 I think. Other than aesthetically looking better they also provide superior light over the halogen headlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No history, no manual, no spare key, wouldn't care of it's the pope. 4/5k

Eh, don't buy it, so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Whopper wrote: »
    I missed the one in Beshoffs a few weeks ago by literally 2 hours.

Whopper,

That was my old car :), I hope it went to a good home !

Sorry if wrong place, but would value Golf owner input. I'm getting a vibration sound / noise into the cabin while the car is stationary (and also moving). Seems to match engine rev's... its really starting to annoy me. Its been there a while, but definitely getting worse. VW said they couldnt hear it (a few months back).

I'm stationary here, and its very noticable from around 10 seconds in... Any ideas what it might be or an indy who could investigate it further?

I've pushed and pulled every piece of plastic and door panel that I can see/find....

Muppet Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Sorry if wrong place, but would value Golf owner input. I'm getting a vibration sound / noise into the cabin while the car is stationary (and also moving). Seems to match engine rev's... its really starting to annoy me. Its been there a while, but definitely getting worse. VW said they couldnt hear it (a few months back).

I'm stationary here, and its very noticable from around 10 seconds in... Any ideas what it might be or an indy who could investigate it further?

I've pushed and pulled every piece of plastic and door panel that I can see/find....

Muppet Man

It might be a sound actuator/soundaktor.

Easiest way to find out is to code it out temporarily or disconnect it.

• Advertisement

Think Damo's suggestion is where I would look. Change the drive mode from race to eco to see if it changes. If it does then almost certainly that like sound device.

The soundaktor do vibrate on them, it's a known problem. Best thnig to do is code it out and see, if you're close to me i don't mind giving a hand with that.

Switch off GTD mode..

Switch off GTD mode..

Economy will suffer :D

Thanks folks, There seems to be a cause & effect alright if I going messing with the "Individual Settings" on the menu system... randomly switching the "Interior Sound" setting between "Eco", "Normal" and "Sport" and back again seems to have fixed it, so I'll do some more testing if / when the sound comes back, but it seems to be the cause alright.

Tossy, I'm in D15, where abouts are you? PM me. I might just get the thing coded out.

Thanks for the tips folks.

Muppet Man

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement